Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Everyone,<P>I ended up having to put my cat to sleep yestureday. He could not hold down any food and finally could no longer hold down any water. When he drank he would throw back up. <P>Nither of us are taking it well. Tony hates me for having the cat put to sleep. I could no longer see him suffer. Tony wanted him to go in his sleep. The poor thing had not drinking anything for a few days. It was so hard to make this decision. My cat is dead and I miss him so much. He provided both Tony and I such love and comfort.

P
P
(((((((((((((((Pahakissa))))))))))))))))<BR>(((((((((((((((Tony)))))))))))))))))))<P>I may be facing the same decision with my 18 year old cat as well as my horse. It is not an easy one to make, but sometimes is the only one that is humane. I am so sorry for your sadness.<P>Beth

K
K
Paha...<P>I am so sorry! This is such a hard decision to make, I know. But, there are times when the poor thing is suffering and it is the kind thing to do, so I think you did the right thing. Again, I am sorry for your pain...<P>{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Paha}}}}}}}}}}}}}<P>Kathi

W
W
{{{{{{{{{PAHA}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}<BR>I am so sorry. Having to make that decision is a very difficult thing. Let yourself grieve for this part of your family.<BR>This is so sad for you.

D
D
I'm so sorry, Paha. I have a 14-year-old cat with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. We nearly lost him last December until we realized his medication was making him sick. I treasure him every day, and can't imagine life without him, though I know he could go at any time.<P>Pets rarely give us what we want when the time comes, like just slipping out effortlessly while sleeping on their favorite afghan. So it's up to us to rely on our communication with them to be aware when they're telling us "It's time."<P>You might want to remind Tony that it's a blessing we can do for our pets what we can't do for our human loved ones -- ease their suffering and hold their hands as they pass on. My stepdad is in his last days/weeks/months. He's in a lot of discomfort and I'm sure would rather be eased out comfortably. <P>We all have to decide when we're ready again, but please consider, after the shock is past, paying tribute to your beloved kitty by providing a good home to another one in need.

P
OP Offline
P
Pilots wife - sorry to hear you might have to put your cat and horse to sleep. My Mom has horses on the ranch. I can understand how hard it must be for you. I will pray for you and your animals. They give us so much love.<P>Kam - Thank you for the cyber hug. It was much needed. Also thank you for the comfort.<P>Wassi - Hope you are doing better. Thank you for your wonderful words and hug.<P>Dazed - Sorry about your cat. I am glad medicne can treat him/her. Sheek was taking medication but was not able to hold that down either. It appears he had a tumor in his tummy region. He was loosing a great deal of weight even though I have been feeding him high energy food for two months and his tummy was growing. <P>Tony is better. I think he understands now why I made the appointment. He was hoping Sheek was getting better and did not want to see that he was not. The last day with Sheek all Sheek could do was lay in his bed under his blanket. <P>We are going to the shelter today and get a couple of kittens. A co-worker's Aunt has been keeping them for the shelter so I already went and looked at them. They are so cute. No subsitiute for Sheek but they will help ease the pain. Tony and I have been crying for two days now. Sheek was a member of the family.<P>Again thank you everyone for your kind words.<BR>

A
A
{{{PahaKissa}}}<BR>I had to put my beloved friend to sleep just after Xmas '99. So I understand what you are going through. My stbxH did nothing but criticize my choice in vets and the care she was getting. So I also understand the undeserved guilt from someone who should be giving comfort instead. <P>My thoughts and prayers are with you. I believe that all animals have a special place in heaven so don't be sad for your kitty.

C
cl Offline
C
Paha, i am so sorry that you had to make this tough decision. Sure, we would like things to end in the fairy tale (perfect) mode, but they rarely do. Your cat had a nice life and was a great companion for both of you. ((((hugs)))

P
P
Hi Paha...<P>I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I just had to put my 5-1/2 year old pup to sleep at the end of September. She had kidney failure, and there was nothing we could do - had the same symptoms as your cat.<P>Cyber hugs to you and Tony both. Let yourselves grieve. You need to. <P>I went and bought a new puppy six days afterward, and I can tell you that it was not a good thing for me. My pup was my first ever pet, so I had a special bond with her.<P>We still have the pup, I love her dearly, I got her as a tribute to my one that passed on, not as a replacement. <P>I'm glad my H made me keep her. It was a long few weeks, but now that I'm past the hurt and grief, I'm settling in with the new little one.<P>Good luck with your new kittens! I'm sure they will be a joy for you and Tony both!<P>--purplemag<P>PS - Just wanted to let you know that I found a website <A HREF="http://www.petloss.com," TARGET=_blank>www.petloss.com,</A> where you can post a tribute to your cat, and they will post his name the following Monday. They have a candle lighting ceremony every evening to, for a tribute to all the little "furbabies" that have passed on. <p>[This message has been edited by purplemag (edited October 30, 2000).]

P
OP Offline
P
AStrongerMe - Thank you for the cyber hug. Sorry you ex H was being such a jerk. Not sure why they do that might be because they themselves could not come to the decision. I know Tony could never make the decision. He is better now and understands the pain Sheek was in.<P>CL - How are you doing? Glad you are sticking around for a bit. : ) You are right. We adopted the cat a couple of months ago. He was sick from the beginning. I just like to think what a co-worker said. Most people would have given the cat back and not worried. We gave Sheek a loving home for his last days instead of suffering in a shelter with a lot of other cats. <P>Purplemag - Sorry about your loss of your dog. People who do not have pets have a hard time understanding how we bond to them. I even cried when a couple of our fish commited suiside. It was tragic because they were tired of being in the small tank. If they had only waited a couple of weeks more they would have had a nice new 300 gallon. <P>I am glad you love your new puppy. I love our new cats. Not that I do not miss Sheek. I do and still cry for him...but I find having something to focus on helps me. They are persians. And boy are they already a hand full. <P>Thank you for the site. When I develop our film I will add Sheek to the site. A tribute to a wonderful loving cat.

T
T
Hi Pahakissa1,<P>I had to do the same thing about 2 weeks ago myself. Same symptoms, his systems just sort of shut down. My wife and I both took my old cat Irving of 19 years to the vet and were with him during the euth procedure. It hurt us both to see it, but it was the right thing to do. He was more so my comfort over the years. This, and 1.5 months after d-day!!! There's an old saying that bad things happen in three's, I just hope whoever is responsible lost count... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>On a TV show recently the narrator said "our pets never live long enough...".<P>I feel your loss. It's just as immediate for me. Swift healing and good things to you.<P><BR>------------------<BR>*************************<BR>Thronx - one of the statistics....<BR>*************************<p>[This message has been edited by Thronx (edited October 31, 2000).]

P
OP Offline
P
Thronx - Sorry for your loss. I know how hard it must have been for you. Having the cat that long must have made the decision even harder. I morn your loss with you just having to go through it also. Thank you for your thoughts.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation