Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#893532 11/15/00 04:06 AM
S
Sweden Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey Gang!<BR>I need some suggestions... Does anyone have any suggestions for good books on child development/child rearing that are out there today? In trying to be the wiser, more responsive Plan A kind-of-guy, my W suggested (demanded) that I read more about being an educated parent. To show her that I am really serious about my change, I need to demonstrate my intentions of gaining this parenting knowledge. My kids are almost 2 and 5, so anything that would be relevant to kids around this age (and not babys) would be appreciated. Any suggestions?<P>Sweden

#893533 11/15/00 07:26 AM
N
N
Anything by Dr. William Sears. "The Spirited Child" - I forgot who wrote it.

#893534 11/15/00 08:11 AM
S
S
Don't forget Dobson, even thought I wanted to send my copy of The Stong Willed Child with my oldest son back to him & tell it didn't work. <P>Joe Beam has a really good book about families. Try this web site for info. <A HREF="http://familydynamics.net/shopcart/product_list.cfm" TARGET=_blank>http://familydynamics.net/shopcart/product_list.cfm</A>

#893535 11/15/00 10:53 AM
N
N
Personally I think some of the advice in Dobson's book verges on child abuse. I thought Turecki's, "The Difficult Child," was far better.

#893536 11/15/00 12:48 PM
K
K Offline
K
Jennifer Harley suggested that we use Turecki's "The Difficult Child" as well. She also makes the very good point that one of the most important things to do is to sit down with your spouse and work through the discipline plan TOGETHER, using the Policy of Joint Agreement.<P>

#893537 11/15/00 02:20 PM
T
T
I love anything by John Rosemond, especially A Family of Value and John Rosemond's Six Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children....he has a website...www.rosemond.com<P>However, a word of caution, you probably need to have your W make these recommendations for you as everyone's child raising philosophy differs and she would probably be less than thrilled if you adopted a new one that was very different from what she is comfortable with. Maybe get a few from the library and ask her to look them over to help you decide which ones you might want to purchase. <P>Becoming a more involved Father is a GREAT way to deposit love units into your W's heart...I feel so much more attracted to my H when he is involved (a good benefit for him [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] )...and of course, the kids reap HUGE benefits as well.. Good Luck, and good for you!

#893538 11/15/00 03:11 PM
S
Sweden Offline OP
OP Offline
S
there & back (and others),<BR>Thanks for the suggestions! I have one problem with going to the library and checking out books here in Sweden. First, Swede's are not to into the self-help thing...to say the least. Second, of course, 99% of the books are in Swedish--I'd miss about half of what they are saying. I feel tough, my W would be pleased to have me read about any book on this subject, just for the fact that I'm making the effort. <BR> She just went out for a walk... I assume to meet the OM. It's strange that she always picks nights that it pouring rain to go out for walks... Wonder why?<P>Thanks again!<BR>Sweden<BR>

#893539 11/16/00 03:42 PM
A
A
If you don't want to spend a lot of money ordering books in english, I don't see why you can't find a lot of the information you're looking for on the internet. Parentplace.com could be a good place to start or just do a search for something like "child development" or "Dr. William Sears," etc. I personally didn't like the Turecki book. <P>I also live in a nordic country, so I can understand the difficulties of finding certain kinds of books. Use the internet and save some kroner (except for the phone bill [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] ) <P>Good luck!<P>

#893540 11/17/00 02:59 AM
S
Sweden Offline OP
OP Offline
S
azari,<BR>Thanks for the web tips. Yes, the internet is a good idea, but I also feel that I need to have some tangible items (Books) sitting around the house so she can really see that I am making an effort. She also seems a bit suspect of the information I get from the web! (My W most likely wouldn't feel that an internet-based relationship support network is at all legitimate...) Somehow it has to be published to be of any help. Also, since I do all my internet surfing during the day when I'm not with her, she will not be aware of what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks for the ideas! I'll check them out!<P>Sweden<BR>

#893541 11/17/00 03:37 PM
A
A
I had another thought...my sister sends me "Parenting" magazine. It occured to me that maybe friends or family in the states could send you books or magazines. It might be cheaper than ordering. I saw you were originally from Minneapolis, so I'm assuming you're american. I'm afraid to assume though because it's so easy to get into trouble.<P>I really feel for how hard it is to find information in a foreign country. Do you understand any swedish? They have to have parenting type magazines and books there. As I understand it, they are into raising children well, have definite ideas on how to do it, etc. Swede bashing is a national sport here but I think they have some good ideas and it's fun to say "hej då." <P>

#893542 11/18/00 01:58 AM
S
Sweden Offline OP
OP Offline
S
azari,<BR>I have some basic Swedish skills (still working on that aspect of integration)! I went to the public library yesterday to check out some parenting books again. The section didn't really exist... I think the librarian thought I was a bit crazy asking for material on the subjects of "relationships" and "proper parenting." (But there was lots of stuff on children of divorce. As you are aware that is more of the norm over here, and what I'm trying so hard to avoid.) I'll keep searcing for options. The magazine idea was a good one. <P>Sweden

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 508 guests, and 133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation