Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Leilana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
They said they were splitting because of their work keeping them apart.<P>Huh?<P>They've been married 11 years. 2 adopted children.<P> Every reporter they've ever spoken to, they gushed about how much in love they were with the other. <P>Harley says 9 times out of 10 someone wants to split because they want to spend more time with someone else.<P>Thoughts?

M
MF Offline
M
I really don't think the reason for their spilit is about their job.. There should be something else(not suggesting there's someone else is involved). IF they were too busy to spend time together they could try to work less, right? EASY SOLUTION. They didn't do that, maybe they love their work more than their spouse..<P>BTW the reason Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin are divorcing is according to Kim's dad that she couldn't take Alec's anger anymore.. not that he was violent but he had so much anger and at the end he did that to her in front of their kid(s?) and she had enough.<P>Meg

L
Leilana Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So in essence, Tom and Nicole didn't get their 15 hours of quality time together each week.<P>A split is going to do wonders for that!<P> IF it is due to an affair, maybe Nicole or Tom is plan B'ing the other one! There's a thought.<P>And I didn't know about Kim and Alec. I thought that was just tabloid. What anger can do, no? <P>If it's an issue big enough to break up a marriage, you think these people would just go get some counseling! These guys have millions. And kids! <P>It seems like such a no-brainer to me!<P>Shall we email these people a link to the MB home page? <P>

P
P
Poor, poor, Nicole. Wonder if she's wishing she hadn't broken up Tom's first marriage by getting involved with a married man? I'll bet Mimi Rogers (the first Mrs. Cruise) is laughing out loud! Maybe it's true that what goes around comes around!<P>Peppermint<BR>

O
O
Awwwww well....I always thought she was just a teensy bit too tall for him anyhow [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]!!<P>Honestly, I think it's sad...for both of them, and especially for the children [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com].<P>Then again, it makes me glad that I'm just me... at least I don't have to read about myself in the newspapers.<P>Anonyomously yours, ~Marie

G
G
A rumour that Nicole had been making googly eyes at someone else in the audience (at the awards)...not Tom. I have a feeling that there is a 3rd person. Who knows. I'm sure that the tabloids will turn up something. It's always sad when a marriage breaks up.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Survivor [aka_NoTrust] (edited February 06, 2001).]

F
F
I've never believed that marriage was real anyway. I've heard too many people say that Tom really swings the other way and Nicole was just a beard. It was pretty good for her career. I also remember an interview with Mimi Rogers post-Tom where she insinuated that he wasn't exactly "putting out" during their marriage. So I'm not surprised at all.

L
L
It seems like a lot of these people are doing the MLC/40 years old thing. These 2, Meg Ryan, Alec, a year ago Demi & Bruce. Or, is a decade of marriage the new yardstick? I guess that doesn't really explain Harrison Ford or Michael Douglas...late MLC?

C
C
did you see on Entertainment Tonight, last night where the host was boasting about their "11 year marriage" like it was some extraordinary thing?!?! I actually laughed out loud that thses people thought it was something to be married for that length of time! What is this world coming to?<BR><p>[This message has been edited by cleopatra (edited February 06, 2001).]

C
C
Nicole did give us a peak at what was to come- she said something to the remark that it isn't natural to be monogamous--so, what does that mean?<BR>Yah, it does seem like they don't have a clue about "we" out there, its "me" and my shrink--not "us" and marriage counseling, working on the marriage, who has time-right? I think that whole realm of society lost a long time ago what is really important in life. I would never want to be part of that world.

A
A
Oh yeah, I heard - my H was about doing cartwheels over this one [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] "Ooooh, does this mean Nicole's available?!?!?!" I told him if he could get her, more power to him - just make sure to call me when he tries hitting on her so that I can be up front with popcorn and soda... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <P>Anyway, I'm with fairydust on this one - I don't think that this was ever a real marriage to begin with. We hear from Mimi that they had no sex life, he and Nicole ADOPT two children...I totally think that this was more a marriage of convenience than anything else. Whether Nic was a beard or whatever the reason, I just don't think that this was a real marriage.

C
C
Not to be a rumormonger, but I'm gonna say it was a sham from the beginning. I know a writer in Hollywood who says the whole thing was set up by the Church of Scientology. I know, it sounds far-fetched, that's what I said, at first. <P> But this guy went on to detail how powerful the COS is in Hollywood, and pointed out a few things, like the fact that Mimi Rogers' career was going pretty good until she left Tom (and the Church), while no one had even heard of Nicole until she teamed up with Tom...and you guessed it: Scientology!<P>The word on the street is that Tom is trying to distance himself from his formerly public association with Scientology...perhaps the marriage of convenience is no longer convenient?<P>Just some gossip...take it with a grain of salt, but the way it was explained to me, it made a whole lot of sense.

R
R
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fairydust:<BR><B>I've never believed that marriage was real anyway. I've heard too many people say that Tom really swings the other way and Nicole was just a beard. It was pretty good for her career. I also remember an interview with Mimi Rogers post-Tom where she insinuated that he wasn't exactly "putting out" during their marriage. So I'm not surprised at all.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pardon me for my ignorance, but what does it mean when you say, "...Nicole was just a beard"?<BR>Thanks for enlightening me.<BR>Rockaway<BR>

A
A
It means that in most of her movies, if she wore a beard then that would be all she had on! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Not that I'm complaining. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

F
F
<BR>[B] Pardon me for my ignorance, but what does it mean when you say, "...Nicole was just a beard"?>>><P>A beard is a person used to create a public image. I lived in Hollywood for awhile and from what I've heard it's pretty common. Celebrities and powerful people who don't want it to be known that they are gay marry or "date" someone for public eyes only,it isn't a real romantic relationship. Sometimes both people might be gay, sometimes only one. They might be good friends or in many cases there is something in it for the "beard" such as career advancement or money.<BR>

L
L
Let's not overlook this small issue here. Look at the films they have done, especially "Eyes Wide Shut". How do you engage in that kind of sexual behaviour with other people...and NOT have it weaken your marriage. Just because it's in the script..and they "Act" for a living...does not mean they are not human. I've never known or understood...how marriages stand up to that. I mean..honestly, how would any of us respond, so see our spouse, on the big screen, engaging in "just a sensual kiss"?<P>That is one difficult road those folks travel.

T
TMD Offline
T
The scuttlebut here in Hollywood is:<P>The marriage was never "real" that Tom & Nicole are both AC/DC;<P>That the COS has nixed the marriage because Nicole no longer wants to be involved in COS and Tom is a devoted member;<P>That Tom is gay and Nicole was only a beard.<P>

H
H
Hey, Lighthouse...I understand, and for the most part, agree with your post....but, in "Eyes Wide Shut", they worked together, didn't they?<P>

L
L
I didn't see the movie. But from what I read, didn't they, or at least him, go out on some 'excursions' and try some different 'things'?<P>

L
L
In "Eyes" part of the Cruise character's journey was "seeing" her with someone else--I remember that more vividly than the scene of Tom & Nic together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation