Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Last night I had to do a "Crossfire"-type online chat about the movie THE ENGLISH PATIENT.<P>I hate this movie. I saw it for the first time BEFORE my own problems, so it wasn't colored yet by my experiences. I remember feeling at the time: "I'm so tired of destructive, painful, sadomasochistic relationships being presented as "True Love."<P>Well, the "other side" in this exchange seemed to feel that the husband in this film should have let the wife go "because she was in love with someone else."<P>That simple, eh? Heh. And yet, this is what most people think.<P>Present company excluded, of course. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

L
Lu Offline
L
Hi Dazed,<P> Absolutely HATE that movie....my H loved it and saw it 2-3 times , all this during the A (I didn't know at the time).<P>He is one of those romantics that Pittman talks about and the movie fit perfectly into his thinking during the A.....the "true love" stuff...barf. I remember seeing it and thinking the wife was such a tramp, my H didn't appreciate that viewpoint!!! <P>LU

G
G
I haven't watched "The English Patient" but I hate movies that promote infidelity. Another movie that I absolutely hate, but many people love is, "The Bridges of Madison County."<P>With Hollywood applauding infidelity (sick of what Catherine Zeta Jones & Michael Douglas did....sick of Meg Ryan & Russell Crowe), it's no wonder that most of society don't take marriage vows seriously anymore. It's so easy to get married & divorced! Marriages have become disposable!

F
F
For a long time I was paralyzed at the thought of watching any movie that had to do with infidelity wiht my H. I can now as long as it is movies that portray bad things happening with EMRs lol. We watched "What Lies Beneath" the other night. Damn was Harrison Ford sorry he had an A! Fatal Attraction is always good too of course.<P>This is interesting though. When "American Beauty" came out I remember a bunch of OW all talking about how the movie was about this man who was so miserable in his marriage and his W was such a b---h and that the movie was about how life is too short and people should have just leave their marraige if they feel unhappy. H and I watched it together. He (repentant WS) saw it completely differently. He said the theme was how people let things get away from them, family and marriage need to be nurtured (like the roses in the movie) and he thought it was really sad that the couple realized only too late that they still always loved each other.

H
H
Had to jump onto this one. Hate the movie "Falling in Love"<BR>H loved movie. He is also the romatic. Believes that one person will always provide that tingle for you if it is true love. Would like to see the sequel- would they still be so "in love" now? I doubt it. <P>Also hated "Bridges of Madison County". This was the movie that H had me watch to try and ease into the I'm having an affair talk. Didn't work. I had to discover it two months later.

K
K Offline
K
D&C:<P>My wife rented this movie for us to watch, about two months after D-day, and while she was firmly entrenched in the affair.<P>Ack!!! I could barely watch Mrs. Doubtfire without getting depressed, but The English Patient?!?<P>

E
EE Offline
E
Has anyone seen "The Story of Us"? For those in recovery, it could be an uplifting movie to watch.

G
G
I have always hated Mrs. Doubtfire. Used to be son's favorite movie until his mom moved on down the road...

C
C
I was in for it with "What Lies Beneath" I thought the movie was about his first wife...So, I was the wife at 25, husband was the prof at 24, and the student was a H*** at 21...Only my H didn't kill her...Watching the movie at 1.5 months after d-day, wasn't real nice..Stomach dropped in mid-movie and boy what a nice trigger...

S
S
I absolutely HATED that movie . . . what I saw of it anyway. It bored me into a sound sleep.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wanna give Mrs. Dounbtfire a thumbs down-I used to like the movie until I became Robin Williams....it seemed like a harmless movie when it came out but now it haunts me...to think that in the movie it was okay for his wife to start seeing another man with children involved....as if.....<P>I think Indescent Proposal actually shows the gut wrenching feeling that occurs during affairs I know its not realistic-I am going to Vegas in a couple of months I highly doubt I will get an offer like that however it shows how the H pick himself back up again.....I may watch it this weekend....<P>Meg Ryan has plummited in my eyes and Russel Crow is really known as a home wrecker to me. Dennis Quaid has recovered nicely and Meg looks like a lonely tramp...just my opinion-I no longer like Amy Grant, never liked Vince Gills whiney voice. Reba McIntire did the same thing though to her Ex-she goes into justifying it in her autobiography (why the guilty conscience??You should not have to justify a relationship....)<P>Boy am I b*tchy today!!!! Sorry!!

S
S
XW claimed to <B>hate</B> <I>The Bridges of Madison County</I> for its pro-infidelity message. <P>... But, she was the one who had an EA early in our marriage; and, I surmise, had one again that brought it to an end. <P>I have nothing against the idea of a <I>soul mate</I>. I just think people should be realistic that an instrument played constantly and ultimately perhaps carelessly ... will go out of tune. Do you throw it away? No, you tune it. Even if it's damaged, you fix it.

W
W
Watch "The Price of a Broken Heart!" This a fact based story frequently shown on Lifetime about an abandonned wife from NC who sued ow and won a million dollar verdict. It does a good job protraying the emotional suffering of the wife & children, the manipulations of ow, & the spinelessness of the ws. BS just decided that her very generous alimony and property settlement were not enough because ow had literally stolen the essence of her life. I loved it!!!!

W
W
Watch "The Price of a Broken Heart!" This a fact based story frequently shown on Lifetime about an abandonned wife from NC who sued ow and won a million dollar verdict. It does a good job protraying the emotional suffering of the wife & children, the manipulations of ow, & the spinelessness of the ws. BS just decided that her very generous alimony and property settlement were not enough because ow had literally stolen the essence of her life. I loved it!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Price of a Broken Heart is actually a true story-the woman who went thru it was featured on Men are From Mars...last week.<P>Another good one is the movie with Meredith Baxter (can't think of the name of the movie) It shows her not meeting EN's and her H leaves her or another woman and how the W actually does so much Lbing that it puts the OW and her H closer together and they marry each other-in the end she shoots both of them....Anyways it shows how lbing really sucks away at the marriage-I think of it everytime I want to LB. (not the shooting part though)

L
L
Hey Dazed,<P>Didnt the wife in the English Patient die a lonely and horrible death abandoned in the desert by her lover? <P>Hum, OK OK, I will put that little fantasy out of my mind now. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>Lora

T
T
In reply to what Trs wrote, that movie with Mederith Baxter in it was called, "A woman scorned, the Betty Broderick story" <BR>that movie should scare any person, ws or bs. <P>another movie I had a difficult time with due to it's focus on infidelity, was "Pushing Tin". It was a cute movie, and I probably would have liked it very much, if I hadn't been a BS.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation