Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
crete Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Still thinking about meds...Also, considering other options...Will be reading and researching..don't worry.<BR>I was wondering if anyone has had success with St. John's wart or other, instead of prescription drugs for depression.<BR>I will still being seeing the doc?<BR>Just wanted to know anything about this alternative.<BR>(My H is the one that brought up St. John's wart)<BR>His brother recommended a medical site to me and does believe meds are good for the time until things begin working themselves out.<BR>He has had experience with the depression and therapy...and went to medical school, so I respect his opinion, also.

E
E
Hi Crete - me again! Yes, I took St. John's Wart and it really did seem to help - not sure if it was the placebo effect (convincing myself that this will help) or if it was the real thing in calming nerves. Your comment in your other post about PTSD sure hits the mark. I'm so sorry you're going through this. And the shaking is awful, I know. My kids, the school principal, bank tellers, everyone noticed it. I'm hoping with time and reassurance from your H that he really is working on your marriage, yours will stop as mine did.

R
RWD Offline
R
I took St John's Wort too and I felt it helped me. I wondered about the placebo effect too because it seemed to help right away and I know you have to get a blood level first.<P>I did get some prescribtion anti-deps the first holiday season as I felt even the St John's wasn't helping me. I used up the prescribtion and then went back to St Johns.

H
H

<small>[ February 08, 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>

J
J
My counselor described the effect of St. Johns Wort as a way to clear the pathways for the brain. He said it speeds up a process to reduce depression. It helps to connect your emotions to your cogntive/thinking. The depression reduces your seratonin(sp???) level and you become more and more tied directly to reacting with only your emotions. Your reactions to each and every event become lower and lower.<P>I am using St. Johns Wort (started just this week) and also doing a number of cognitive approaches suggested by my counselor in addition to the meds. <P>One of the thought tricks is to stop myself whenever I start obsessing about things over which I have no control. I was to place the image of a STOP SIGN in my mind and decide what I should be doing at that moment. <P>Another thing I am trying to do is keep track of the number of times that my mind is drawn into a negative thought pattern. I record what I was doing or thinking about just before I had the thought and how often it happens. Now I am trying to avoid those things and thoughts that lead to negative patterns.<P>A third method that has had some success for me is to designate a time during the day that I will focus and "obsess" about my R. With this time set aside, I know that I will get to it then and I can focus on other things that I need to get done (work, deal with the kids, prepare for an event, plan meals, pay bills, etc.).<P>All of these ideas came from my counselor in just 3 sessions. He has helped a great deal. I don't think any single thing will work for anyone. It needs to be a combination of therapy, life changes, mind coaching, medications, support, renewed activities, website messageboards or another method to help bring you out of the depression. For two months, I tried to just read and research my way out of depression. I lost 20 pounds and my work performance was at an all time low. Now, after only three short weeks with a counselor, I've made much more progress than I did on my own.<P>Good luck in your challenge and I hope some of these thoughts have been helpful.<P>Jaboom

L
L
I used St. Johns for almost a year before I went on prescrip anti-deps. I've been off Zoloft for a year now, tried St. Johns over this winter again, but realized it makes my PMS physical symptoms worse--hadn't picked up on that before, too miserable to notice, I guess [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com].<P>Don't forget that your natural serotonin is activated by exercise, sunlight. If you aren't already exercising...in the sunlight if possible, try to add that in. Alcohol also makes depression worse, so watch intake.

L
L
I used St. John's Wort last year to help with my mood. I've been so stressed by my financial situation and lack of cooperation from H to solve the problem that my ability function was severely hampered. I lost interest in just about everything, my ability to concentrate was shot. I do believe it helped. It's my understanding that people with high blood pressure shouldn't take it. After taking it a while, my mood was better, but my energy level had taken a nosedive. Then I found some new information that said it can cause fatigue. Now I'm taking b complex vitamins. My energy level is better. I believe the thing that keeps my mood in gear better than anything is journalling and saying A LOT of prayers. <BR>

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 133 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation