Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#926465 07/06/01 05:04 AM
F
OP Offline
F
My new counselor gave me a book to read. It is "Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction" by Patrick Carnes, PhD. Coincidentely, I had just read part of another book, "Don't Call it Love" by the same author. I highly recommend both books. They deal with the idea of sexual addiction and why addicts do what they do. The book helped me to understand a little about my husband's behavior, but it really had a lot to say about my behavior also. Dr. Carnes talks a lot about coaddictive behavior and coaddicts. I was amazed at how many of the coaddictive traits fit me exactly! This is one thing that really scares me about myself and something that I want to work on with the counselor. <P>Here is a partial listing of coaddictive traits he gives on p. 130-131:<BR>concealing behavior of the addict<BR>protecting the addict from consequences of behavior<BR>denial of the obvious<BR>alibis, excuses, and justifications to others<BR>feelings of responsibility for the addict's behavior<BR>self-righteous criticism and judgment of the addict<BR>efforts to confront the addict with his or her "problem"<BR>feelings of superiority to the addict<BR>overlooking the addict's behavior<BR>distrust of others outside the family because of the addict<BR>rationalizing the addict's behavior<BR>fantasizing and obsession about the addict's problem<BR>belief that if the addict changed, all problems would disappear<BR>strategies to control sexual activity of the addict<BR>being sexual with the addict to prevent the addict from being sexual with others<BR>intense mood swings from high to low<BR>loss of self-esteem or self-respect<BR>changes in eating or sleeping patterns<BR>decreased ability to work or function<P>This is less than half of the list. I just wanted you to get a sampling. <P>The book talks about the cycle of addiction; what constitutes addiction and recovery from addiction. It uses a "12-step" approach.<P>The reason I picked up the book "Don't Call it Love" even before I went to see the counselor is that it has been becoming more and more obvious that our problem is much more than just a "marriage" problem. Regardless of whether I stay with my husband or not, which I am still undecided about, I need to take care of some issues that have been part of my life for a long time. Leaving him won't solve those issues and saying "Ok, I forgive you, let's pretend the ten-year homosexual affair never happened and get on with our lives" won't solve the problem, either.<P>I know that I am in a completely different situation than most of you. My husband wants to stay together. I am undecided, but leaning towards leaving. These books have made me aware that he has more issues that he needs to deal with and overcome and so do I. <P>A healthy marriage can exist only between two healthy people, and we are not there, yet. <P>I hope that some of you will read this book and that it will be as enlightening for you as it has been for me.<P>TGIF!!

#926466 07/06/01 08:17 AM
Z
Z
Yes it is a good book. The author has an entire series of books for both the spouse of the SA and for the SA. There is even a workbook for the SA to explore and heal their addiction.<P>Z<P>------------------<BR>He loves not who does not show love.<BR>----William Shakespeare

#926467 07/06/01 03:16 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look for the workbooks.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 355 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation