Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
Just sort of a silly thread... I hope it lightens the mood and gets you thinkin a bit....<p>Don't know why this movie line is rolling around in my brain. Anyone else have any movie lines or scenes they like or keep thinking about????<p>Have you seen As Good as it Gets... with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt?<p>I keep thinking about the point where he finally gets the guts to tell her how she makes him feel.... "You make me wanna be a better man." <p>Wowwwwww.... Don't know why this is bugging me today. Is that what a true healthy relationship boils down to??? That we want to be better people because of this person in our life??? At what point do we lose this feeling of wanting to be "better"?<p>I dunno.... just thinking out loud, and thought I would see if anyone else has these "movie moments". [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,236
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,236
Faith,
I forgot about that line, I like it though, how true it is, any relationship should make us a better person, and if it doesn't maybe we should look at how the relationship makes us feel and what we need to do about it.<p>Dawn [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img]

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,454
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,454
Funny that you bring that movie up - my H has always identified with Jack Nicholson in that flick.<p>We just watched it together the other night, and when I heard that line...I realized that my H had said exactly that the night that he asked to come home and not divorce. I asked him why he wanted me and not OW and that was his answer.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,236
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,236
Bramblerose,<p>What a beautiful story!!! You are so fortunate that your H came out of the fog, I wish more would.<p>Dawn [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img]

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,290
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,290
Faith1,<p>Great line! Another is from Jerry Maguire when Tom Cruise tells Renee Zelwegger "you complete me". That's the way I've always felt about my W.
Before I met her, I was happy, but something was missing. She gave me the chance to be everything I always wanted to be, a husband and a father. I guess this is why this is so hard, I don't feel complete anymore.<p>sad dad

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,303
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,303
Dear faith1,
I must say that my husband definitely makes me feel that way--like being a better woman, wife, mom, & Christian--all of the above! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>A movie line that really got to me lately came from "Shallow Hal" where Tony Robbins told him, "Your mind tells your heart how to feel."<p>I didn't want to forget that because so many times I have read out here how WSs have no control of their emotions when trying to rebuild romance with their spouses.<p>Another one I really like is from a sad movie, called "One True Thing," where the mom (Meryl Streep) is dying of cancer. At the very end, the daughter and father were at the gravesight, and the dad says to his daughter "She was my one true thing" *sigh*<p>[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: BINthereDUNthat ]</p>

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,099
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,099
[img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img] Thanks Faith1, Even tho you guys made me all teary.<p> jd

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 404
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 404
These are great. Thanks for the thread.<p>A couple that I just absolutely love are:<p>1. From Cast Away, when Tom Hanks is explaining to his friend how he made it through the 4 years on the island and he says, "I had control over nothing and that is when it hit me. I had to just keep breathing. Then, God brought me a sail. We never know what the tides will bring."<p>It says so much about my life (and many of us here) - we have to just keep breathing, even when we don't know what else to do. We don't have the ability to see around corners, but God does.<p>2. In The Way We Were, when Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford are making the decision to divorce, and she says "Wouldn't it lovely if we were old and we had survived all this?" <p>I know, it is a really sad movie and maybe a bad example for an uplifting thread - but I felt that way so many times. Just wishing we were 20 years down the road - past the pain of today and that we were still together. Nice fantasy - sometimes it happens. <p>Ok, I have a 3rd:
3. From The Prince of Tides, when Nick Nolte has gone back to his wife (she left him, first) and he is wrapping up the story with a voice over. The whole monolouge is wonderful, but one thing he says pops in my head all the time - "There are no crimes in families which cannot be forgiven. I have learned to love my mother and father in all their flawed humanity."<p>Allright, now I am crying at my desk!

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
I think this is great! Anyone else? [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 877
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 877
Well...<p>This doesn't fit the uplifting thread that you may have been looking for but it's the way I feel today...<p>"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." <p>I don't mean that in a bad way...(also it is W's favorite movie) but just that I think I need to care less about my M and more about me...at least that's the way I feel today...<p>[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Elad ]</p>

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
I know how you feel, Elad. THanks for posting your thoughts. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Yes, well, I think this thread should be about any and all movie lines that touch us in some way.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 141
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 141
"Its not that I condone fascism, or any ism for that matter..isms in my opinion are not good. I quote John Lennon, I don't believe in Beatles I just believe in me, its a good point there, after all he was the Walrus, I could be the Walrus I'd still have to bum rides off of people."<p> --Ferris Bueller<p>This movie line has nothing to do with nothing. I hope that doesn't offend anyone, but its the line I was thinking about when I read this post. I've seen the movie so many times I can quote the whole thing. It used to drive my wife crazy...maybe that's another thread! Men seem to be able to quote lines from movies, like "Fletch" for example. How many of us guys know lines for every situation, and so many come from Fletch. Weird.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 42
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 42
Okay being southern one of my favorite movies is Steel Magnolias, there are so many lines in that movie that have fit my life in so many ways.<p>1). Descirbes WS in fog: " He's so confused he doesn't know wheter to scratch his watch or wind his butt."<p>2. "Time marches on and sooner or later you realize it's marchin across your face."<p>3. "Laughter thru tears is my favorite emotion."<p>4. "That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger."<p>5. "I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful then a lifetime of nothing special."<p>I am sure I will think of more later. Whenever I feel down and need a good laughter thru tears. I pull out that movie and I always feel better.<p>Also there are some great lines in Forest Gump.<p>Music

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,661
Good ones! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] Thanks MH, and Music! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0