Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 58 of 160 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 159 160
Strivn4Better #1783218 10/14/07 06:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I've been having a hard time over the past five days or so. Lots of anger, and I'm having a hard time shaking it. I want the SCQ to hurt--to feel the consequences of what she's done and continues to do. All the things I haven't said over the past year are churning and want to be said to her.

Instead of looking for reasons to keep going, I want to make lists of reasons why I'm better off without W in my life. Or make lists of all the times she lied to me and I believed it.

I guess I'm falling off the acceptance bandwagon. I'm probably doing it to myself somehow, but I really want everyone (including my children) to see the evil that she and the POSOM are perpetrating.

I want some reason to keep doing what I'm doing as opposed to calling it quits.

sdguy038 #1783219 10/14/07 06:36 PM
B
B
There is nothing wrong with making a list of all the crap she has done wrong.

Write that nasty letter. Let it out so you can let it go.

Read December 2.

~ Pain is a given, misery is optional ~
BrambleRose #1783220 10/14/07 08:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Just posting about the anger made me feel a bit better. I still haven't written the letter, but I will.

Work any better?

sdguy038 #1783221 10/15/07 05:15 AM
L
L
I've been struggling with anger the couple of days as well. Maybe it's a cyclical thing?

For me I believe that it has to do with being at loose ends when the boys are gone. No matter how many plans I make, there are still those times when I'm alone, aware of my alone-ness, and it pi$$es me off.

Do you notice a similar relationship between anger and the absence of the kids, or is it just me?

Either way, it's not as if you don't have plenty to be angry about. I guess it's just what you do with it. Hold on to it, or let it go.

Unfortunately, it seems like letting go is a constant process. Did you read Neak's post in AJ's 70x7 thread? She had a really good point about how the things that need to be forgiven (or in our case, the things to be angry about) continue to bubble up...we are constantly reminded of the hurt, and we need to deal with each recurrence.

I thought it was interesting, because I don't believe she was referring to "triggers" necessarily. We don't need to be "triggered" to remember the hurt....thus feel the anger.

Rambling here about my OWN stuff....

LilSis #1783222 10/15/07 06:37 AM
B
B
SD,

I agree, nothing at all with feeling that anger! Seems normal and healthy to me, as long as you channel it appropriately - - which seems to me you are doing.

I get my share of those days, too, so don't think you are alone.

Hope you have a Good Week!

BS (me)
ExWS -Drac
DD 9
DSS 15
D Day 11/06
Divorced 10/01/07

"You Can't Fix Stupid" - My Mom
Bugsmom #1783223 10/15/07 06:51 AM
B
B
December 7 is good for you and Sis too.

Work is slowing down a little - most of it is going to take time. I thought I had completely come to terms with my fear of aggressive men (family issues stemming from my dad) - until last week when an angry man started making unreasonable demands of me - it had me totally shutting down. Obviously I have work to do on myself still. I will never survive in this matrix management environment if high level men scare me!

Anyway - sd - the anger is OK. I think that you have these times without kids, these quiet times with nothing to do, just so you can have the time and safety to let out the anger.

Feeling anger is not a step backward, its a step forward.

~ Pain is a given, misery is optional ~
BrambleRose #1783224 10/15/07 07:41 AM
J
J
I know for me at least it's the moments without the kids that I allow myself to be angry. I think it's really gone a long way towards helping me let go of some of the emotions that bubble up over time regarding WW.

If WS won't let us show emotion by loving them.. they at least can't stop us from venting our frustration and anger as an emotional outlet.. that's our choice... how we vent and release those emotions is also our choice.. what makes us better people is finding better ways to do so.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
Jamesus #1783225 10/15/07 12:17 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, BR. Those were good days. My personality is such that I am actually well-suited to living with uncertainty, so I can't imagine how people who demand more structure do this. Maybe they don't.

Ramble away, Sis (and James and Bugs). We all move through the same stages and emotions, it seems. For me, the anger hits me when the unpleasant reality of the situation stares me in the face. So, that's not always when I'm without the kids, because I value some alone time. Sometimes it's when both kids want (and deserve) my attention but there's only one of me. Or when I get clues that yes, the adultery is still going strong (I try pretty hard not to look over the fence). Or when I realize the truth about another one of the lies she told me during false recovery.

It's still easier to see the negatives in my situation than the positives. What's happening is just wrong. Maybe my need to be right is exerting itself again. I want the SCQ to see what she's done--how it cost her the respect of just about everyone who knows her (including her kids, someday), half of her time with her children, her job, her comfortable life. I've been seeing this one on other threads, so to let you know that I feel the same way: I want her to acknowledge that it was a mistake. And apologize for it.

I know enough not to hold my breath waiting for this, though. Even if she were to put it all together, I think she would prefer to slink away to her own misery than do something brave, like step forward and take responsibility for her mistakes. That would draw attention to her. It might make a scene. It would make it obvious that things are not "fine."

Yech. Gotta get some of this poison out of me and live better. I recognize that I need to do better at finding social things to do. The 'adult education at the local adult education place' flyer came the other day, and I actually took a look at it (but didn't find anything interesting).

On Saturday, I checked out the local parasailing port and decided that next weekend I'm going to go. You can just show up and take a tandem ride right over the coast. I've been meaning to do it for years now. I'm going to bring my camera--if I can figure out how, I'll post pictures.

For now, though, I better do some work.

sdguy038 #1783226 10/16/07 06:45 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Email exchange with the SCQ. Our custody agreement is such that we each get a weekend day with the kids (i.e., no one gets a whole weekend). In August, when she was trying to get me to renegotiate this agreement, she said:

For normal weekends would you even consider having a mixed weekend agreement where some weekends are split and other aren't, 1 complete weekend each and the others as they are now?

Yesterday, she sent this:

Will you at least consider this now if you will not consider full weekends every weekend with split squad, as they call it, thrown in there?

"Split squad" is a reference to us each having one kid so that they get some individual time (at least with me, they do). My response:

I will listen on weekends, but this is where I am
right now: I like the split squad weekends and could
see doing those once a month or so. I will take the
kids for a full weekend any time you want to schedule
something else. I am not currently interested in
giving up my weekend days with the kids (i.e., going a
whole weekend without seeing them unless I am going to
travel).

And she responded with:

Either this weekend or the weekend of the November 3rd can you take the kids on Sunday too? This would be a trade of a Sunday on either side of those weekends.

And I breathed a bit of a sigh of relief, thinking that this is more about her being able to do things requiring a whole weekend and less about wanting the kids to be able to travel with the POSOM, so I said:

Sure, I would love to. I think my preference is for Nov 3 weekend because I have something tentatively planned for this Sunday, but it's flexible.

So now she has come back with:

Thanks. Would you prefer that I have them on the 28th or the 11th?

which is a bit of a dilemma. Was this all a bait-and-switch to get a whole weekend to travel with the kids? And am I obsessing too much over her taking the kids with the OM on a trip? It would actually be convenient if she has the kids on the 28th, because there's a trip I would like to take, but if the whole thing is about her being able to travel with the kids and the OM, then I won't. Am I being unreasonable/childish about that? Should I let it go?

Here is what I sent:

Wait. I thought that I was just taking them for you rather than agreeing to give up one of my Sundays. I'm not sure I want to do that.

Opinions/analysis invited.

sdguy038 #1783227 10/16/07 06:55 PM
J
J
I think you're on the right track SDGuy.

You clearly stated before that you didn't want to give up your weekend day with the kids.

Stick to your boundaries.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
Jamesus #1783228 10/16/07 07:13 PM
S
OP Offline
S
And now

Why would you think that? In my original email I said it was a trade.

and I responded

Because I misunderstood what you wrote. And because I just told you that I would take them when you needed me to but that I didn't want to give up my weekend days.

Want the Wednesday before the weekend?

Jamesus #1783229 10/16/07 07:21 PM
S
S
I agree with James here; you were clear that you did not want to give up YOUR weekend time, but we're fine with getting MORE time with the kids.

Your next response should be simple. Nope, not interested if I lose my time with the children.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
silentlucidity #1783230 10/16/07 07:29 PM
S
OP Offline
S
now

It isn't causing you to give up a weekend day. You still have a Sunday just a different one. It actually give you more of a quality weekend.

Sigh. I think this makes it pretty clear that her intent was to get a full weekend with the kids so that she can do what she wants. Does she think I'm an idiot?

sdguy038 #1783231 10/16/07 07:41 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Honestly, is this a battle worth fighting? The main driver for me is that I don't want her to be able to take the kids on trips with the POSOM.

sdguy038 #1783232 10/16/07 07:53 PM
S
S
Stick to your schedule as tightly as you can. Tell her you are not interested, but thanks for the offer. DO NOT ELABORATE AT ALL. If you don't NEED to switch times, don't.

Also, don't think of it as apples to apples, you are not in the business of doing favors for one another, either you want to do it or you don't, regardless of WHO she will be with or not. She's asking you for a favor. First, decide if you want to do that. If not, then don't. AND don't think of when you may or may not need her to help you in the future; that is a FUTURE choice.

Stop the emails with a short response of not being interested.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
silentlucidity #1783233 10/16/07 08:08 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I know it's too many emails. I told myself I was going to hold off on responding, but then I sent this:

It's important to me to see the kids *every* weekend unless I have to travel. From that perspective, I would be giving up a weekend day. This is what I meant when I wrote:

"I will take the kids for a full weekend any time you want to schedule something else. I am not currently interested in giving up my weekend days with the kids (i.e., going a whole weekend without seeing them unless I am going to travel)."

When you brought this up, I thought the driver was you needing me to take the kids because you needed to do something. Was I mistaken about that?

I guess I was due for a good triggering. I gained back a good chunk of the weight I lost on the Infidelity Diet, and a nice depressive streak will help me lose a few pounds.

I already had a massage scheduled for tonight. Talk about good timing!

silentlucidity #1783234 10/16/07 08:22 PM
J
J
I think SL is probably right here.

If you don't -want- to give up a whole weekend here.. and it won't benefit you more to have a whole weekend later.. well, then too bad for her.

This is one of the consequences of her decision to live her life without you.. you shouldn't feel the least bit guilty about making her live with that choice.

Me - 32
DS - 5
DD - 13
DSD - 9
D final 12-8-08
Jamesus #1783235 10/16/07 09:28 PM
L
L
Dealing with my own "issues" around overnights and kid schedules, I won't attempt to advise. Those with more objectivity will be far more helpful.

My only suggestion is that you whatever action you take, you fully consider the potential effect on any long-term, court-ordered custody arrangement.

Set the precedent that YOU want, and STICK to it. Not that is appears it is going to work for me, but I've heard that if you have an "arrangement" that's worked and been in place, there's greater likelihood that the courts would continue that arrangement.

SCQ is trying to worm her way into an arrangement that SHE prefers. Don't let her.

Do you have your present arrangement formally outlined in writing anywhere?

LilSis #1783236 10/17/07 12:09 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Get this:

I already have the Wednesday before 11/3. So that will not work.

I don't have to explain why I wanted you to have the kids one of those weekends and why I wanted them for another one of those weekends. It is a trade of same time for same time.

Pick a Sunday so that I can have them for the whole weekend.

That email is pretty amazing to me. This is a textbook case of why a BS shouldn't be having any contact with a WS while in Plan B. I'm now triggered over first her attempt to manipulate me and then the callous nature of the last email. But it's classic thoughtless behavior by a wayward spouse, and I should have expected nothing less. eta: (Which one am I again, Fox, the pot or the kettle?)

Yes, Sis, our custody agreement has been approved by the courts. The SCQ isn't happy with the way it is working out. My lawyer seems to think that if we go to court over this (her wanting to change--or tweak--the agreement), I will lose, because her wanting to include some whole weekends is not unreasonable.

Last edited by sdguy038; 10/17/07 12:53 AM.
sdguy038 #1783237 10/17/07 01:08 AM
S
OP Offline
S
This is all so stupid. I really hate it. Fighting over stuff like this. Having to fight over stuff like this. Having to worry about what I say and how I say it (these emails could wind up in court) and how it might appear. And for what? So that she can be with a proven liar and cheat.

Why am I still doing this? I'm just about out of people in RL to talk to--all of my regulars (including my IC to some extent) just want to shake me and say "IT'S OVER. ACCEPT IT and GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE." and "You're so much better off without her."

It doesn't help that the depression is acting up again. I chatted briefly with my psychiatrist yesterday (same office as my IC), and learned that it's common for the body to adjust to the new med and require dosage adjustment. This would explain the twitchiness I've been feeling over the last week or so.

Looks like Ensure and Xanax for dinner tonight.

Page 58 of 160 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 159 160

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation