Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R
Thanks Mel, ya beat me to it!

Peace,
LaLa

FWW(me) 37
BS 38
DS 9 & 5
PA 7/06-8/06
Dday 2/17/07

Fogapalooza-My Babbly Beginning
My Story
H
H
What do you guys think about that saying

"He/she has done it once, they'll do it again."

Where does it come from?

Doesn't Dr.Phil say something like "past behaviour is future behaviour"

BS;ME43,WH45
DS19,DS16
DDay:6Dec06
WH left12Dec06
DIV:3Dec08
WH marries OW 21days later!

M
OP Offline
M

Past behavior usually is an indicator of future behavior, especially if the person does nothing to change. However, people CAN AND DO change if they are willing to work hard.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

I don't think my H will do it again...

He CAN do it again..but I don't think he will..

Because I have CHANGED..he has CHANGED..we continue to WORK on ourselves and on our marriage..

I BELIEVE in the POWER of CHANGE and GROWTH...and of course FAITH...

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
P
P
Our first year of college WH (boyfriend then) and I were at different schools. That summer we became Christians, started really growing in our faith. The next year, then at the same school, after a big conference he told me that the previous year he had been unfaithful to me 3 times with 3 different people. I was SHOCKED. I honestly had no clue, and was pretty naive I guess. But he was adimant that he had changed, that He was a Christian now, that he chose to tell me because he wanted to be honest etc. I eventually worked through it, and really forgave him. Really built up complete trust again.

Now, of course, I feel so disenchanted - and wonder if I was just stupid for believing and trusting. Like you said, if they did it once.. I really believed that God had changed him. And I think he had..? So do you think that if he does ever come back, learning the MB principles, etc could be enough now? Is it possible that some people just don't have a regulated conciense? my counselor says WH is somewhat narcisstic, but peaking right now.. am i crazy for even leaving the door open for reconciliation?

I think I feel most disenchanted that, in the end, following God wasn't enough.

BW(me) + XWH - 36
3DS - now 10, 8, 6
Married 10 years
D-Day 10-5-07, lots of Plan B, etc.
Plan D --finalized 2-09

Remarried to wonderful man 1-1-11!
now 3 NEW bonuschildren: DD 4, DS 8&9

... ... ...
GOD IS GOOD.
M
M
Don't you think that SATAN may be encouraging you to not put your FAITH in GOD?

TRUST in the LORD, Phoenix..

HE brought you and your WH together...

Satan is trying to drive you apart..

That's my belief..

I continued to TRUST IN THE LORD...

Give your WH over to HIM...but don't lose your FAITH in HIM...

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
M
M
Now, of course, I feel so disenchanted - and wonder if I was just stupid for believing and trusting. Like you said, if they did it once.. I really believed that God had changed him. And I think he had..? So do you think that if he does ever come back, learning the MB principles, etc could be enough now? Is it possible that some people just don't have a regulated conciense? my counselor says WH is somewhat narcisstic, but peaking right now.. am i crazy for even leaving the door open for reconciliation?

I share your fears.

I am finding it extremely difficult to trust again. I don't want to set myself up for "the worst pain imagineable" ever again. But what choice do I have if I ever want to love again?

Husband was unfaithful to me before and after our marriage, at least 7 times. I found out 13 yrs into the marriage. Trickle truth for an entire year. Several different d-days, so it was more like a d-year. Difficult recovery.

P
P
thanks mimi, and yes - i do think that sometimes. right now i'm still at a very low, grey kind of place so it's just hard to keep seeing straight. one of my pastors always prays something very simple over me, but that has been profound in my spirit..

God is at work.

always true, no matter how things look.

I also read recently a book about just how valuable our faith is to God - so valuable that He even lets us go through such things that bring it about. The book also talked about something even deeper than faith, that being fidelity. That sometimes we're beyond a place of even being able to have faith, but can still choose fidelity.

BW(me) + XWH - 36
3DS - now 10, 8, 6
Married 10 years
Plan D --finalized 2-09

... ... ...
GOD IS GOOD.
G
G
right now i'm still at a very low, grey kind of place so it's just hard to keep seeing straight.

Phoenix, I found myself several years ago at a place where something devastating was happening in my life and it made no sense to me. I spent a lot of time praying for understanding and saying "Lord, I don't understand!" The only answer I received was Proverbs 3:5. I guess that is part of what faith is - when nothing makes sense will we trust Him anyway?

Your "grey" place reminded me of the following verse. I looked it up in 2 different translations. It's for those of us who do find ourselves in a place where there is little light and a whole lot of gray.

Isaiah 50:10 (English Standard Version)
10 Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys his servant?
If you are walking in darkness,
without a ray of light,
trust in the Lord
and rely on your God.

And the same verse in the New Living Translation said:

10 Who is among you who [reverently] fears the Lord,
who obeys the voice of His Servant,
yet who walks in darkness and deep trouble
and has no shining splendor [in his heart]?
Let him rely on, trust in, and be confident in the name of the Lord,
and let him lean upon and be supported by his God.

Dealing with infidelity is one of those times when there is no "shining splendor" in our heart - broken, bruised and bleeding - not much spendor. I hope this doesn't sound "preachy" and no offense is meant. {{{hugs}}}

M
M
You sound right on target to me, Grap...

P
P
thanks graplin! very good to read. i'll also throw in the message version:

Who out there fears God,
actually listens to the voice of his servant?
For anyone out there who doesn't know where you're going,
anyone groping in the dark,
Here's what: Trust in God.
Lean on your God!

i was thinking about those words, 'lean on' and 'rely on' ..
what that looks like tangibly in .. this ..

BW(me) + XWH - 36
3DS - now 10, 8, 6
Married 10 years
Plan D --finalized 2-09

... ... ...
GOD IS GOOD.
M
OP Offline
M
bump

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
OP Offline
M
bump

Exposure 101

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation