Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2103146 08/03/08 11:09 AM
D
OP Offline
D
hey people, how's it going?

i have an issue which is eating away at me before i get married next week. i found this forum and hope you can all help me.

basically, i've been with my fiancee for a few years now, and we're due to marry next saturday. one of the main things that attracted her to me early on was the fact that i told her i was an excellent former rugby player (it's an english sport - hopefully you guys know it?)

anyway, i'm really not, but the lie soon snowballed and my mates are in on it too, and it's gone beyond the point where i can tell her the truth. i've lied about the clubs i played for and the level i played at, and i sort of feel that i'm living a lie.

what should i do?? it's killing me now that we're so close to the wedding...! i'm not sure i can go through with next saturday having lived such a lie...

help!!!

D
D
Tell her the truth. There is no way around it.

Charlotte

M
M
there was a sitcom on just last week with this very scenario...except the sport was basketball.

Tell the truth. If your fiance is so shallow that she would leave you over this...I say...let her walk.

She may decide to leave you for lying to her. That I could understand.

Most likely though...you two will have a bit of a laugh over this and learn a valuable lesson about telling the truth and being true to who you really are.

Perhaps you are in need of some counseling since you seem to feel the need to make up stories about yourself to appear more interesting.

D
OP Offline
D
thanks for the reply, charlotte - i'm not sure i can though. you don't think i could bend the truth a little?

D
D
Originally Posted by DannyIngram27
thanks for the reply, charlotte - i'm not sure i can though. you don't think i could bend the truth a little?

No. And take medc's advice above as well.

Charlotte

M
M
Tell her when you saw her you thought she was too beautiful, smart, funny, together ect... to ever want to date you...that you thought she was out of your league entirely.

And you stupidly thought if you made up the rugby stuff, it might give you an opening w/ her, you otherwise wouldn't have.

Tell her you hoped that once she got to know you, you would tell her the truth. But, instead kept lying, in part b/c you still think she is out of your league.

Hopefully, she'll appreciate how difficult this was for you to come clean about.

S
S
Let's see.....

You don't think she will ever find out on her own?

Which would you rather have happen?

Because when she mentions this at the wedding reception to one of your family members or one of your friends who ISN'T covering for you, and it all hits the fan right then and there, how do you think the honeymoon will go?

Gosh. I don't see this being such a big decision now. You are pretty much running out of time, Danny. Better get over to her house and confess, with the whole truth. Quick.

And no, there's no bending it. The truth is the truth, it stands alone unafraid.

Sheesh.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
D
OP Offline
D
she has hit me in the past though, and i'm scared she might do it again... if i tell her, it'll ruin everything, but if i don't, we may still have a chance.

M
M
Originally Posted by DannyIngram27
she has hit me in the past though, and i'm scared she might do it again... if i tell her, it'll ruin everything, but if i don't, we may still have a chance.

You're afraid she's going to hit you? Again???

This has got to be a joke.

D
OP Offline
D
no joke. it hasn't happened too often. she just gets a bit crazy sometimes - last week she threw a bucket of fried chicken at me.

D
D
Yeah, I'm leaning towards Marsh on this one.

But since I'm posting to you again (for now) I'll add:

she has hit me in the past though, and i'm scared she might do it again...

Why are you going to marry someone who physically abuses you?

And:

if i tell her, it'll ruin everything, but if i don't, we may still have a chance.

No, you have this backwards.

Charlotte

F
F
Sounds like another marriage "made in heaven."

Go right ahead with the plans. "Right and wrong" behavior doesn't sound all that important to either of you.

D
OP Offline
D
sorry guys, this is coming out all wrong. i wouldn't say she "abuses" me - it's just been the odd occasion that she's gone a little over-the-top.

we're not bad people, and we do know the difference between right and wrong - no one's perfect though.

M
M
"we're not bad people,"

OK, but it is confirmed that you are a liar and she is violent.

"and we do know the difference between right and wrong"

So you're not 'amoral' merely 'immoral'?

"no one's perfect though."

The favorite excuse of those knowingly doing wrong.

BTW why did she hit you and throw a bucket of chicken at you?

Did she catch you in a lie by any chance?

M
M
Ok, assuming this is not a joke - as others have mentioned...

Between this and your Chinese food post, you are going to marry an abusive, controlling person. Think twice. Think three times.

Tell the truth about the rugby and let the chips fall where they may -- with the exception of getting abused! (How did she end up being your fiance and never once attend one of your rugby games or meet friends from the team? That's odd)

you said: "it's just been the odd occasion that she's gone a little over-the-top"

Ummm... its ok if she only hits you now and then? Throws food at you now and then? Doesn't let you eat what you want?

That's not ok.

Imagine if the gender situation here were reversed, and say your sister or a female friend said "I'm going to marry this guy who only hits me occasionally." ?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by meremortal
"we're not bad people,"

OK, but it is confirmed that you are a liar and she is violent.

"and we do know the difference between right and wrong"

So you're not 'amoral' merely 'immoral'?

"no one's perfect though."

The favorite excuse of those knowingly doing wrong.

BTW why did she hit you and throw a bucket of chicken at you?

Did she catch you in a lie by any chance?

is everyone on here so judgemental??

no, she didn't catch me lying. the bucket of chicken thing was because i'd forgotten to buy her some milk from the shops, and the other times were just when we'd got a little drunk - silly little things. i wouldn't say she was violent though.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Mrs2
Ok, assuming this is not a joke - as others have mentioned...

Between this and your Chinese food post, you are going to marry an abusive, controlling person. Think twice. Think three times.

Tell the truth about the rugby and let the chips fall where they may -- with the exception of getting abused! (How did she end up being your fiance and never once attend one of your rugby games or meet friends from the team? That's odd)

you said: "it's just been the odd occasion that she's gone a little over-the-top"

Ummm... its ok if she only hits you now and then? Throws food at you now and then? Doesn't let you eat what you want?

That's not ok.

Imagine if the gender situation here were reversed, and say your sister or a female friend said "I'm going to marry this guy who only hits me occasionally." ?

those are all valid points...

she never saw me play rugby as i told her i'd been injured and had to quit. it was before i met her that i told her i'd played.

F
F
is everyone on here so judgemental??

Let's get this straight, you solicit opinions from everyone, they respond (having seen these sorts of things for years, and many having lived through marriages with the sorts of issues you are describing) and you want to accuse the respondents to your inquiry of being "judgmental?"

You aren't hearing what you wanted to hear when you initiated the posting, so you are not going take any of the advice.

As I said previously, go ahead with your plans, you were always going to do so anyway. And that's a CONCLUSION gained from what you've posted, not a "judgment" as you are trying to classify the responses you've received.

D
OP Offline
D
ok, fair comment. i apologise.

F
F
Apology accepted, at least as it pertains to me.

Now here's the "issue" that you have ONE week to reflect upon...

Do want to "married" or do you want to be MARRIED?

If it's the former....stop seeking answers to your questions and just go ahead with the marriage plans.

If it's the latter, then you need a crash course in what "being married" really means.

Have you and your fiancee had any "pre-marital" counseling?

Are you two of the same "faith?"

Why do you think that ANY marriage can survive even "little white lies" rather than Openness and Honesty that is necessary in a "one flesh union?"

Let me ask you another question, have you considered that it's harder (usually both emotionally and financially) to END a marriage than it is to postpone or end the "marriage ceremony" itself?

Marriage is SERIOUS business. If there are serious doubts, then they need to be addressed BEFORE the "official ceremony."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation