Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
My wife and I have been together for over 20 years and married for over 17. This summer she told me she wants out. She wants a divorice. I told her I could not just walk away from what we had. After crying I stood up and told her to contact a realtor and lawywer we will begin getting a divorice. She agreed to try counseling.
We are seeing a counseler for 3 months now. After using the love busters and emotional needs forms things seemed to be getting better. But last Sat night she told me, she still doesn't love me, I broke her trust (not through an affair but being emotionally ignorant)and it might never be repaired, and she doesn't know if she is willing to take a chance on trusting me again. (She always has had trust issues) Today, I left a signed check in my lunch bag on my desk. She told me when we settle our affairs, she wants her money direct deposited.
I felt leaving the lunch bag on the desk was alright because there were only four people in the factory when I came in. Three security officers and me. Two of the security officers are on perimeter watch (which she was one of) and the other a roving interior officer.
Why does she keep bringing up divorice? What can I do to rebuild our trust if she is not willing to open up? I do not want to lose my best friend, lover, and partner. How long does counseling take before things improve? My love bank is running low. At times I am ready to surrender and tell her to call the lawyer.
Please help! ! Any suggestions are welcome.

A
A
I have never answered or posted on this site before but after reading your post, I wanted to let you in on a few things going on in my life.

I am on the opposite end of you. I am where your wife is right now. I am been emotionally neglected for nine years now and it can do a lot of damage. I have lost hope. My husband wants to work it out but doesn't have a clue how to. At least your here on this site. That is a great start. I've tried to get my husband here and he shows little interest.

I have always felt my only alternative to end the horrible pain of neglect and loneliness is to leave and that is why I continue to mention it to my husband. I can't imagine going on like this for the rest of my life. Maybe that is why your wife says that all the time. If she is anything like me, she says it as a way to end her pain. A means to an end. It is unbearable sometimes. She might really want it too because she feels like there is no hope. She wants an end to hurting.

If you can find out how to fulfill her needs she might end up dropping it eventually. I know one thing for sure, the quicker you are to give up on her, the more right you make her in her doubts as to whether or not you love her. If you keep telling her that you will agree to a divorce or you even say it one more time, she will divorce you. My husband is so quick to give up. Not because he doesn't love me but because he doesn't know how to deal with it. He won't learn. You can learn how to make sure your wife's needs are met emotionally and make sure it happens. Giving up or giving her any indication you are giving up only confirms her fears that you never really cared in the first place.

Don't give up on her and tell her all the time you won't give up. Ask her what to do. Communicate with her. Tell her your not leaving and would never give up. I know if my husband were doing that, it would be a start. She is still with you and that means that she still loves you and there is always hope as long as you are together. You have to try really hard. Emotional neglect is serious to a woman and can do a lot of damage.

L
L
Mnms,

Are you here to fight for your marriage or to fight your wife?

LA

M
OP Offline
M
Ann,
Thank you for the information. I will keep working.
We returned from counseling last night and she believes I am trying to manipulate her. She told me she doesn't know if she wants to stay married or not. I am taking this as a sign of hope. But she also said we are only in counseling because I pressued her. (I told her I can't just walk away)She said we will probably stay married for the family. But it is a sham.
I have been reviewing my actions to see if I am unconsciously trying to manipulate her and I don't think I am.
I am trying to put myself in her shoes before I act or speak. She is numb and feels nothing for me.
I told am angry, upset, and really want to repair our marriage.
She told me I am just looking for a bandaid, but I told her I want to fix it. Eventhough she doesn't know if it can be fixed. I didn't sleep last night as I kept turning our conversation over in my mind.
But I am taking your suggestion to heart and will keep on trying to show her that I did change and really want this.
Thank you again and good luck with your hubby.

M
OP Offline
M
Dear Loving away,
I am fighting for my marriage. The things that are most important to me are:
My children,
My wifes happiness,
our marriage
and God.
I keep asking myself, if I love her than why won't I surrender and submit to the divoroce? To this I already have agreed two times to divoroce. But she always throws me a line to keep me fighting.
If I showed her, her happiness means so much to me over the years instead of figuring she knew, and I was more willing to change. Maybe I wouldn't be where I am.

S
S
Originally Posted by Ann1970
I have never answered or posted on this site before but after reading your post, I wanted to let you in on a few things going on in my life.

I am on the opposite end of you. I am where your wife is right now. I am been emotionally neglected for nine years now and it can do a lot of damage. I have lost hope. My husband wants to work it out but doesn't have a clue how to. At least your here on this site. That is a great start. I've tried to get my husband here and he shows little interest.

I have always felt my only alternative to end the horrible pain of neglect and loneliness is to leave and that is why I continue to mention it to my husband. I can't imagine going on like this for the rest of my life. Maybe that is why your wife says that all the time. If she is anything like me, she says it as a way to end her pain. A means to an end. It is unbearable sometimes. She might really want it too because she feels like there is no hope. She wants an end to hurting.

If you can find out how to fulfill her needs she might end up dropping it eventually. I know one thing for sure, the quicker you are to give up on her, the more right you make her in her doubts as to whether or not you love her. If you keep telling her that you will agree to a divorce or you even say it one more time, she will divorce you. My husband is so quick to give up. Not because he doesn't love me but because he doesn't know how to deal with it. He won't learn. You can learn how to make sure your wife's needs are met emotionally and make sure it happens. Giving up or giving her any indication you are giving up only confirms her fears that you never really cared in the first place.

Don't give up on her and tell her all the time you won't give up. Ask her what to do. Communicate with her. Tell her your not leaving and would never give up. I know if my husband were doing that, it would be a start. She is still with you and that means that she still loves you and there is always hope as long as you are together. You have to try really hard. Emotional neglect is serious to a woman and can do a lot of damage.

Ann:

As someone who has painfully become a victim of infidelity and later an unwanted subsequent lay expert on the topic, I must comment on your post.

A man thrives on respect, affirmation, and sexual intimacy with his wife and a woman thrives on attention, protective care, and emotional intimacy with her husband. It seems, very often, that so many men and women unintentionally neglect or fail to realize that they are failing to provide adequate amounts of these qualities to their spouses. Most are completely in the dark and have meant no harm or lack of loving expression--they just do not know. It also seems that so many men and women do a very poor job of properly communicating their sense of unmet need/desire and just believe that he/she "should know by now". Well, in most cases, they DON'T KNOW and had no malice in their heart by their "failures". The spouses who feel unvalued (the same ones who often are themselves guilty of non-communicative assumptions) are the ones ripe for affairs based on self-entitlement with their betrayed husbands/wives feeling blindsided and violated. It appears that you are in the "ripe for an affair" category here...

I have witnessed many husbands foolishly affair with some low-class tramp simply because she "looked up to him" and offered him hot, exciting sex. I have also witnessed many wives ludicrously throw themselves at smooth-talking, loser men simply because he "gave her attention" and "listened to her". Frankly, it is all SO COMPLETELY STUPID AND BENEATH CONTEMPT.

In these situations, any marginally physically attractive woman who displays admiration and any reasonably personable man who gives attention becomes prime affair-bait. You might as well thrown some raw meat into a cage filled with hungry lions. Makes me want to puke

Please, please do not fall into that trap. Have an intervention with friends and family, call in your trusted clergy, hire a skywriter to put in the heavens, or buy some red spray paint and grafitti up the house with what you need to say...anything to make your points known. Just DON'T HAVE AN AFFAIR! As an absolute last resort, write a detailed letter and separate, giving your spouse a few months to respond appropriately and get a divorce to be on your own if he/she doesn't. Whatever you do, do NOT convince yourself that he/she is doing this on purpose because "there is no hope" as you put it. That is YOUR impression and not necessarily a true or accurate one at that. There are a million divorcees out there who can tell you that the "grass isn't greener" afterwards too.

As for your last 2 paragraphs, I must strongly disagree. Sounds reasonable--and it is normally--but, once an affair is underway, no wayward (man or woman) listens to a spouse who "won't give up" or who chases them professing their commitment and desire for renewal. They have all by that point become sanctimonious and "entitled" in their own minds to do whatever they want no matter who get hurt in the process. Believe me, I lived it with a WW and they don't give a s**t about how "devoted" their BH is...they care about absolutely NOTHING and absolutely NO ONE but themselves once they have crossed that line of betrayal. Sorry, but there is NEVER an excuse for "falling in love" or "finding someone new"; you voluntarily, publicly, and permanently relinquished that option when you got married.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation