Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by tst
Originally Posted by GreenMile
As for me, the whole thing is moot. Infidelity is simply not something I am ever going to do again under any circumstances. That is why I would not object to a 100% settlement for her in case of future infidelity.

Then just do it!

We will do whatever she wants in order to feel safe.

FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by believer
I have no idea what their assets are. But I would suggest that IF he strays again, SSS be guaranteed enough to be able to maintain her lifestyle as it is now.

To suggest that GM be penniless is CRAZY. And I like and empathize much more with SSS than I do GM.

The aim of MB is to have both partners recover and prosper.

And that is exactly what we are committed to do. To make that happen includes doing whatever makes SSS feel safe. If she does not feel safe with an agreement, it isn't going to do anything to help us. She will decide the numbers.

(The way things are going in the world, maybe we will ALL be living out of a box pretty soon.)

FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
To be a less clinical about it, the truth is simply that I have been a [censored], a horrible jerk, a complete A-hole all my adult life in my personal and marital life. In all other respects, I have been a kind, empathetic, principled, law-abiding, ethical, and honest man. Most of who I am is really very good, believe it or not.

Not to be catty, but it speaks volumes that you say "most of who you are" is very good.

I'll put my community service accomplishments, elected office, local government and governance committees and boards, youth sports, church charities, etc right up there with you, but it is maybe 5 percent of "who I am". And that 5 percent, in retrospect, may have been an ill-advised attempt to escape from the unfulfilling marriage.

I have worked with hundreds of people in various aspects of community service. The vast amount either have lonely lives and are looking for company, have personal or professional agendas, or are looking to be lauded by some mantle in the community. I was 1 and 3. True altruists are few and far between.
I just looked for it briefly but there is a quote out there somewhere that says "If you want to find a bad marriage, look for a man involved in local government".

You have a good point and are probably right. Being involved in those things more than the usual person was obviously some form of substituting for what was missing in my marriage. It was both a refuge from problems and also pulled even more time away from our marriage, as well. None of them are for self-aggrandizement. I just enjoy the stuff. The music festival, astronomy newletter, an community anti-litter/cleanup thing, running the youth music program, etc. It isn't big profile or government stuff like you are referring to. I enjoy it when people thank me, because it is all volunteer. So, I admit that I like that. But to a great extent, it was an escape from my own problems in our marriage.

Sorry. Your main point about my saying "most of who I am" is not the right interpretation. I was referring to a lot more things about me than those organizations, but to the personal, to empathy, kindness, appreciation for beauty, for justice, etc. SSS would not have stayed with me through all these years, if she did not like me for many things that are good about me. But my behavior to her and my behavior in secret in our marriage has been unconscionable and in many ways, just plain evil. I don't know what percentage of "me" that represents. I do believe that we are all many different things in different circumstances, but we all carry complete and total responsibility for our own actions.

Last edited by GreenMile; 02/03/09 10:31 PM.

M
M
<quote> But to a great extent, it was an escape from my own problems in our marriage.</quote>

Have you quit them all? I did on d-day, everything, including an elected office. Wife quit all her community affairs, which were considerable

And, sure you can always say the big quarterly newspaper comes out in March or some other excuse, but your time is SSS's and hers alone now.

H
H
Originally Posted by sadsosad
I am waiting to see what he says about this. He has agreed to do it and he has started the process. I am hoping he does whatever he feels is needed for me to feel safe. Will he or can he actually put himself in my position instead of his? We will see. I do not want to make this decision. I hate this but then there were promises made by the one that had spent our lifetime together breaking all our promises. I was trusting him to be true and I was totally mislead.

GM, you were leading me to believe she wants to make the decisions about the post-nup arrangements. This is clearly not the case. She is expecting and "needing" you to take the lead on this. She wants to see how committed you are.

This is what I have been saying all along. She wants 100% committment. She is waiting to see if you are for real or if you still are the same liar & con you have been for the entire marriage. You can make all the difference with this choice or you can continue to create doubts in your wifes mind.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by tst
Originally Posted by sadsosad
I am waiting to see what he says about this. He has agreed to do it and he has started the process. I am hoping he does whatever he feels is needed for me to feel safe. Will he or can he actually put himself in my position instead of his? We will see. I do not want to make this decision. I hate this but then there were promises made by the one that had spent our lifetime together breaking all our promises. I was trusting him to be true and I was totally mislead.

GM, you were leading me to believe she wants to make the decisions about the post-nup arrangements. This is clearly not the case. She is expecting and "needing" you to take the lead on this. She wants to see how committed you are.

This is what I have been saying all along. She wants 100% committment. She is waiting to see if you are for real or if you still are the same liar & con you have been for the entire marriage. You can make all the difference with this choice or you can continue to create doubts in your wifes mind.

I have my appt. with the attorney for this in an hour. It should remove all doubt.

H
H
I have my appt. with the attorney for this in an hour. It should remove all doubt.

smile

Recovery began 10/07;

M
M

GM -- what does Steve Harley say about the polygraph? pro or con?

G
OP Offline
G
I think he is in favor. He did not say anything negative about it. Whatever increases trust.

FYI. We are having a tough time with the attorney re: a 100% post nup that is retroactive. Or even 100% under any conditions. She is researching it but might refuse and have to refer us to a different attorney. I will know in a few days.

M
M
I think he is in favor. He did not say anything negative about it. Whatever increases trust.

FYI. We are having a tough time with the attorney re: a 100% post nup that is retroactive. Or even 100% under any conditions. She is researching it but might refuse and have to refer us to a different attorney. I will know in a few days.

I think 100 percent is not needed, may even be counter-productive to something that will stand up if challenged.

80, 85, maybe a dollar amount makes more sense to me.

It's not like 85 percent is not a sufficient deterrent.

H
H

If your attorney is experienced in this area of law, she should be able to handle the research necessary to write the post-nup as you've requested, or she will refer you to someone that can. If it's crafted properly, you'll have no problem making 100% work.

Recovery began 10/07;

M
M
These things aren't worth the paper they're written on. Any good lawyer will tell you that.

So what happens if greenmile ends the marriage due to an A sadsosad has? He gets nothing or he ends the M cause he just wants out?

Ridiculous

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
The best is yet to come, with or without your WS
H
H
Originally Posted by myfamilyilove
These things aren't worth the paper they're written on. Any good lawyer will tell you that.

So what happens if greenmile ends the marriage due to an A sadsosad has? He gets nothing or he ends the M cause he just wants out?

Ridiculous

If they are not worth the paper they are written on, why the hypothetical question?
But to answer your question, the post-nup can be, and usually is written to address this particular issue.

Stay the course GM! There are way too many BS's that accept crumbs and then make excuses as to why they have settled for them.

Your wife deserves what you are offering and you know this!

Recovery began 10/07;

M
M
Originally Posted by tst

Ridiculous

If they are not worth the paper they are written on, why the hypothetical question?
But to answer your question, the post-nup can be, and usually is written to address this particular issue.

Stay the course GM! There are way too many BS's that accept crumbs and then make excuses as to why they have settled for them.

I can tell you from experience that it will not hold up in court. All they aim to do is act as a deterent.

And any WS who would sacrafice their financial security for the rest of their lives has rocks in their head!

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
H
H
I can tell you from experience that it will not hold up in court.

Doubt that!! :crosseyedcrazy:

Recovery began 10/07;

M
M
Actually I had a friend in a similar position W had an A he made her sign everything to him....5yrs on she left again judge ruled post nup was could not be applied as too much had changed since then! She didn't leave for an A.

But tst, I guess you knew that already eh? Is that why you signed one soooo eagerly??? blush

Plan D June 08
Me FBS 36
W 38
Married 13/1/09
M
M
Actually I had a friend in a similar position W had an A he made her sign everything to him....5yrs on she left again judge ruled post nup was could not be applied as too much had changed since then! She didn't leave for an A.

<shrug> So you update them annually.

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by tst

Ridiculous

I can tell you from experience that it will not hold up in court. All they aim to do is act as a deterent.

And any WS who would sacrafice their financial security for the rest of their lives has rocks in their head!

I think it would hold up in court if the WS drafting the agreement gives a recorded statement to the attorney for their records, but who knows what any given court is going to do? And yes, it is merely an extraordinary precaution and an instrument to help restore a sense of safety for SSS. Neither SSS nor I have any intention of failing at restoring our marriage and restoring love, and neither of us would let the other live in poverty no matter what the situation. Neither of our beloved grown sons would tolerate that from either of us, either. Even if I were to some day fail at this and SSS were to ever actually divorce me and get 100%, she would not actually keep it all to herself. She would provide some level of sustenance for me. If you doubt that, you don't understand how principled SSS is, and it works both ways. I could never let her go wanting, no matter what. That is why I said earlier that this post-nup has absolutely no real value to either of us except as a powerful tool for restoring her trust and her faith that I am committed, and also as a deterrent to help reinforce those that I develop for myself to safeguard my weaknesses.

M
M
That is why I said earlier that this post-nup has absolutely no real value to either of us except as a powerful tool for restoring her trust and her faith that I am committed,

So in your opinion it wouldn't hold up, neither of you would abide by it, but it is a tool to rebuild "trust"??

Are you trying to win an Irony Award?

PS; Right after D-day, I tossed WW out, got an attorney, and sat down with WW to go over finances, explaining I was going to go to court on her adultery, put her OM on the stand, and absolutley burn through every dime we had, unless I got exactly what I wanted.

Then I laid out what I wanted.

She burst into tears: "But....what do you want me to do, live in a trailer?"

and I looked over the papers again and I said, slowly...."Jeez.....sweetheart....on your income, I don't think you could afford a trailer..... what about the OM, won't he love and support you?" (OM, janitor who had dumped her that day to stay with OMW.)

So, don't take for granted how compassionate SSS would be with a second knife to the heart.

And don't assume the sympathy of your sons' either.

BTW, do they know all the affair details? If you are depending upon them for some sort of future sympathy to get you thru a second infidelity, then SSS should apprise them of every dirty detail you have revealed.

Actually, should anyway.

Do they know everything?

H
H
Originally Posted by Mike_C2

<shrug> So you update them annually.

Apparently Vladies friend was not that bright. wink

You're absolutely right Mike! It's a lot like a last will and testament, you update them whenever something changes.
A post-nup really is more simple than many think......

Vladie, (aka. myfamilyilove) Everybody has a friend who knows someone who......whatever! :RollieEyes:
If my memory is correct, you're not even in the US. skeptical
And why are you even on this or any thread - it's obvious you hate marriage builders advice from your tag line. grumble

Recovery began 10/07;

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation