Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Dude007 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Krazy

I'm with you on this one my friend. The only reason I wasnt that scared is because my wayward tendencies were clowding those feelings. I was thinking of all the strange I was about to get...Reading your posts on here also convinced me I could never stay...DUDE

K
K
Originally Posted by Dude007
Originally Posted by Krazy71
Originally Posted by tst
I think that even a "fully recovered" marriage is settling, and I won't settle. Not for anyone.

Krazy, You're right, settling for a fully recovered marriage IS settling...... It IS settling for nothing less than a fully recovered marriage! MrRollieEyes

In my opinion, it's settling for a lesser marriage than one untouched by infidelity. Or maybe I just lack the ability to delude myself.

A Broken marriage that has been repaired is just that. Just like a broken leg or arm are NEVER the same again. You can heal, but its never a "PURE" marriage. Have you ever replaced a transmission in an automobile? It runs, but its never the same again. I think anyone with common sense can agree on that point..DUDE

True, but why would anyone want such a car over a new one with no history of trouble? Because the seat is indented with the shape of their butt? LOL

Divorced
D
Dude007 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by black_raven
A Broken marriage that has been repaired is just that. Just like a broken leg or arm are NEVER the same again. You can heal, but its never a "PURE" marriage. Have you ever replaced a transmission in an automobile? It runs, but its never the same again. I think anyone with common sense can agree on that point..DUDE

Just because something was broken doesn't mean you still don't cherish it and love it. Infidelity is just one way to break a marriage (probably the worst IMO) but most people don't toss out things that have been repaired. People are flawed. We all have to be hermits to not deal with "brokeness" in others.

I think this depends on how "SACRED" one views marriage. If its absolute, its absolute and once the vows are broken, the marriage has ended at the time of Infidelity, not at the time of divorce...DUDE

H
H
Originally Posted by tst
I think that even a "fully recovered" marriage is settling, and I won't settle. Not for anyone.

Krazy, You're right, settling for a fully recovered marriage IS settling...... It IS settling for nothing less than a fully recovered marriage! MrRollieEyes

In my opinion, it's settling for a lesser marriage than one untouched by infidelity. Or maybe I just lack the ability to delude myself.

The delusion would be thinking a marriage or a single life �untouched by infidelity� is possible for you, me, or anyone else that is a WS or a BS. We will carry our betrayal into reconciling or into another marriage regardless of how hard we try to wash the stain out. The betrayal will impact and influence the decisions and expectations in our marriages to some degree, whether we reconcile or separate or divorce or marry another. However, this doesn�t mean we are now an inferior (lesser) person. I would say to the contrary, that we can be a greater person. Nor does this mean we will have an inferior (lesser) marriage. Again, I would say to the contrary, one of greater value is possible.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
D
Dude007 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by tst
Originally Posted by tst

The delusion would be thinking a marriage or a single life �untouched by infidelity� is possible for you, me, or anyone else that is a WS or a BS. We will carry our betrayal into reconciling or into another marriage regardless of how hard we try to wash the stain out. The betrayal will impact and influence the decisions and expectations in our marriages to some degree, whether we reconcile or separate or divorce or marry another. However, this doesn�t mean we are now an inferior (lesser) person. I would say to the contrary, that we can be a greater person. Nor does this mean we will have an inferior (lesser) marriage. Again, I would say to the contrary, one of greater value is possible.

I disagree. The betrayal can be shaken off over time. Its the waywardness that is forever stained a person's soul. A piece of a person is broken off when they go wayward forever. All you have in your life is your name and your integrity and once you lose that YIKES! When my fwxw confessed, the second thing I said to her was "i'm glad it was you and not me!" I stand by that statement even today. I'd far rather be the BS than the WS.(I know, RA, blah blah blah, but you get my point!) DUDE

B
B
I think this depends on how "SACRED" one views marriage. If its absolute, its absolute and once the vows are broken, the marriage has ended at the time of Infidelity, not at the time of divorce...DUDE

I don't think it necessarily comes down to how sacred a person views marriage but it is maybe a component. A husband and wife share vows unlike other realtionships. However, if I were to do harm to my child, sibling or parent (even through neglect) I would have damaged my relationship with him/her. It will never be the same. While I did not take a vow to other family members, I still view it as as duty to do no harm and even sacred in a sense. People screw up, some more than others. H screwed up royally and he can never undo his A but I'm still looking forward to a happy life with him. If he fails me again in a big way (and it doesn't have to be cheating) I have no problem walking. That said, I still would not be looking to marry anyone again. That could change with time, but that's where I stand now and am fine with it.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
"is not wanting to ever marry again mean I'm close to healing?" That is the question,

IMO, no, this is not a sign of healing.

Last edited by sexymamabear; 12/02/09 11:24 AM. Reason: fix quote

Happily married to HerPapaBear

B
B
This whole thread is certainly WW thinking, selfish and self important.
It is inhumane to think that once something is broken there is no perfect rapair. duh.
As a mother, I have failed my children. EVERY PARENT HAS. Does that mean our relationship is "fractured" forever? Heeelll no. As a daughter to my mother and sister (oh boy as a sister!) I have never been perfect. I have done selfish things. Lost my temper. Disapointed my family. WE ALL HAVE.

So that means those relatioships can never be "perfect" by your standards?!?

My teenage daughter has failed me, many times. She does not treat her sister worth a PHHHHHT. Does that mean she is some way deficient>sp? to you? How did you grow up?? Immaculate>sp? (boy I need a dictionary!) adulthood????

How childish and little your world must be to think that this is the case. Did you reject the birthday cupcake that got dented in the frosting in transit to the party? Was that somehow less of a cupcake, man?

We are not gods, it is in our nature to do what is in our own intrest, and inevidably>sp? we will. I assure you of that. Any fool, at first glean, can think that it will never be the same, but you are only typecasting yourself.

Your children will cuss. Steal candy bars. break windows. skeptical Cuss at YOU! Even, sometimes as adults or people who should know better. Your parents are not perfect, never was, never will be. Grandma drinks whiskey. rant2 I could go on and on.

Cut the 'friggin xwoman some slack already. Let her find a man who will not forever consider her damaged goods. You children can see this you know.

<No, I am not a WW>. BTW -Dude you never answered... is Xwifey O.K. with this?

Last edited by barbiecat; 12/02/09 11:29 AM.

Me; W 46
Him; H 46

2 girls
DD19
DD16
Dated/Married total 28 years.
..I am learning and working on myself.
S
S
I call it cake eating because you are doing exactly what a wayward does...

playing husband/daddy-in-the-home when the mood strikes
and
playing single man playing whoever when the mood strikes

That's not the same as a single man dating/sleeping around.

D
D
TJ

>Cuss at YOU!

Not if they value their lives.

End TJ.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
B
B
right on SMB

Me; W 46
Him; H 46

2 girls
DD19
DD16
D
D
>BTW -Dude you never answered... is Xwifey O.K. with this?

He also never answered if he weren't to remarry, if he'd ever trust his ex but still SO with important DNR, and final wishes responsibilities.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
S
S
I settled for a recovered marriage and a family restored.

You settled for a divorce and a family unrestored.

You settled just as much as any of us who chose recovery. You just settled for something different.

And no, I did not recover out of fear. I was waaayyy past fear. I recovered because it was the best case scenario for me, my children, and my husband. We seven are ALL better off with what we have today than what we would have had divorced. But yes, the BEST OPTION is no longer on the table...our family untouched by infidelity.

Last edited by sexymamabear; 12/02/09 11:38 AM.

D
D
>We don't get perfect anymore

We didn't get perfect in the first place.

No one is guarenteed "perfect"...and anyone who is selling perfection is lying.

>our family untouched by infidelity.

All families are touched by something. All of them. What is the true telling of those families is how they handled that "something."

My Story

Recovered!
D
Dude007 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by barbiecat
This whole thread is certainly WW thinking, selfish and self important.
It is inhumane to think that once something is broken there is no perfect rapair. duh.
As a mother, I have failed my children. EVERY PARENT HAS. Does that mean our relationship is "fractured" forever? Heeelll no. As a daughter to my mother and sister (oh boy as a sister!) I have never been perfect. I have done selfish things. Lost my temper. Disapointed my family. WE ALL HAVE.

So that means those relatioships can never be "perfect" by your standards?!?

My teenage daughter has failed me, many times. She does not treat her sister worth a PHHHHHT. Does that mean she is some way deficient>sp? to you? How did you grow up?? Immaculate>sp? (boy I need a dictionary!) adulthood????

How childish and little your world must be to think that this is the case. Did you reject the birthday cupcake that got dented in the frosting in transit to the party? Was that somehow less of a cupcake, man?

We are not gods, it is in our nature to do what is in our own intrest, and inevidably>sp? we will. I assure you of that. Any fool, at first glean, can think that it will never be the same, but you are only typecasting yourself.

Your children will cuss. Steal candy bars. break windows. skeptical Cuss at YOU! Even, sometimes as adults or people who should know better. Your parents are not perfect, never was, never will be. Grandma drinks whiskey. rant2 I could go on and on.

Cut the 'friggin xwoman some slack already. Let her find a man who will not forever consider her damaged goods. You children can see this you know.

<No, I am not a WW>. BTW -Dude you never answered... is Xwifey O.K. with this?

I think you've inadvertently made a point of mine from an earlier post. Infidelity is just a mistake, a failure, an error of judgement, a broken promise like every other bad decision we make in life. It does not RISE above all these other things because vows were involved, its just another failure? The vows were just a promise, a promise a spouse has broken. Is this what I'm reading into your post? DUDE

S
S
I agree D. That's why I edited it out. smile

D
D
Adore you SMB...and I don't think you settled for anything.

Raising the bar high, expecting that it's met and meeting your own bar is not settling. It's respectful boundries at it's finest.

My Story

Recovered!
B
B
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
>No one is guarenteed "perfect"...and anyone who is selling perfection is lying.

whistle lashes flirt grin

All families are touched by something. All of them. What is the true telling of those families is how they handled that "something."

hurray

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
G
G
You can heal, but it�s never a "PURE" marriage
Unfortunately, this is true. A certain innocence is lost in a marriage that has been touched by infidelity. But that innocence is lost for the BS forever, weather the marriage continues or not.

Yes, but...

Last transmission I pulled got a TransGo shift kit, TCI Super overdrive servo, TCI deep sump pan, a huge stacked plate cooler, external filter, and super fancy T.V. pressure gauge for my own amusement. It is now far superior to it's original factory form, and I get the satisfaction of knowing I did all the work myself.
grin smile stickout

Dr Harley says it is possible to have a better, more fulfilling marriage, after recovery than you had before. While this may not be the norm, I would agree that it is possible for some.

But it is very true, no marriage is the same after an affair.

Really what I hear in this thread is a few folks beating there chest saying "I'm better than you because I got out"

Or am I misinterpreting things?

Last edited by Gack1; 12/02/09 11:55 AM.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
B
B
Yeah, that about sums it up. You promised to honor cherish and protect her too, did you not? So, It is O.K. to go back on your vows because she did it first?!?

Recovery is not for whimps. But, neither is divorce.

Acording to MB, and most people, you have every right to walk away right now.
I admire that you want to understand your feelings about this better before you move on.
--peaceout

Me; W 46
Him; H 46

2 girls
DD19
DD16
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation