Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24
M
OP Offline
M
Damn that was a good nap. Let's blow some stuff up. Wish me luck!

http://notexactlyrocketscience.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/nuclear_fireball.jpg

_
_
I'm with you mfoss!! I'll be changing my accounts this evening too.

-SOL
M
OP Offline
M
SOLimbo - changing accounts?

M
OP Offline
M
ahh bank accounts I guess...

M
M
Originally Posted by mfoss2212
I am sure many people relate to the stress of wanting to take another hour and process a little more information. And some will even disagree with the approach. It looks like I am making a major decision quite quickly. I wonder is people who disagree with this approach would not be likely to give advice here.

mfoss, the reason you don't see people here disagreeing with this approach is because keeping the affair a secret cannot be defended. That is because it only serves to enable the affair and ruins the marriage. Many people over the years have tried to defend another approach without success. It can't be defended because it is a losing proposition. Can you think of any legitimate reason not to expose? I can cite 10 reasons TO expose but can not think of a single good reason NOT TO expose.

Secondly, people always regret not exposing, they don't regret exposing. Most of us who here who are telling you to expose have saved our own marriages. We know it works. Dr. Harley, who has been doing this for 35 years, is adamant about exposure.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Get the job done mfoss. It's the beginning.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
E
E
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
So, you are advocating cutting off the money supply? Will that not:

- ruin any plan A
- hurt my credibility with other relatives, even those who support the marriage might believe that she should have access to funds

And also, not sure how to do since we have a joint account...

Nowhere in Plan A are you directed to finance your WWs A. Continue being a pleasant, loving spouse whose only goal is to save your M. Giving your WW money to move out is not saving your M. Let her know this: you love her, your family and your marriage, and you will do whatever it takes to save that. You can't tie her down to the couch, so if she does want to leave you can't stop her. But you're not going to HELP her, either.

Take all of the money out of the account except enough to keep it open. Do this right away, before she gets to it. Open a new account that is in your name only. If she wants money, she'll have to come to you for it and explain why she needs it. And she'll need to provide receipts to prove where she spent every penny. There will be few legitimate reasons to give her money if she moves out. Rent money is unacceptable. Gas money, maybe. Ten bucks a week for gas ought to cover any fuel used to come to you to talk about the M and how to save it. Food money, probably not. Let her know that your marital home is stocked with all the food she needs. To be eaten at HOME. While the two of you are discussing a plan to save your M.

Reality can really set in fast when the WS has to start dealing with the cold financial aspects of the A.

Don't let her tell you that she deserves and portion of family money because she was a SAHM, caring for the kids, and therefore has no funds of 'her own'. You never changed the terms of your M, she did. She should have thought about that before she decided it would be fun to have an A. Obviously she expects you to roll over and go along with her plans to fool around with another man. Don't accept that. Also, be aware that the OM will be happy that 'his woman' has money. He doesn't care where it comes from. However, he won'tbe happy with the way the A is going if his affair partner suddenly because financially needy, asking him for rent money, being broke and unable to afford to get her groceries, etc. The romantic aspects of the A will suddenly become less rosy. That's your goal, here. Disrupt the A.

Now, she may decide to seek legal cousel to help her get money from you. Fine, let her. That's just more reality for her to have to deal with. The A will become less rosy by the minute.

If you have relatives who are troubled because you won't help your W be wayward, well, I wouldn't worry about them too much. You are on a mission to save your M.

Yes the money is for someone who is actively your wife. If she wants to move out, have a place on her own and a lover, then she's not acting as your wife and therefore has no claim on marital assets.

Those assets are for your wife. As long as she's not willing to be your wife, they are not hers.

They are called marital assets. If she tries that logic, remind her that shes the one acting as if she wants out of the marriage, so why would she want anything to do with the marriage.

Babble back at her and let her know that you are giving her exactly what she wants, freedom from the encumberances of the marriage. No longer will she need to care for the house, no longer will she need to be concerned about the money you earn, no longer will she be dependent upon you.

She has the freedom to earn her own money, pay her own bills and not depend on you for a dime.

By removing the marital assets from her, you are freeing her as she desires.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi all -

It's in motion. I only got through half of what I wanted to, as WS hung out at home instead of going to sleep at a friends as planned. Still, lots of good feedback from my first calls, and more planned tmrw.

It was a bit of a curveball to have to deal with a change of plans, and I tried to not let it affect me too much. Some good convo with WS, and some broken. I am exhausted.

F
F
Hi all -

It's in motion. I only got through half of what I wanted to, as WS hung out at home instead of going to sleep at a friends as planned. Still, lots of good feedback from my first calls, and more planned tmrw.

It was a bit of a curveball to have to deal with a change of plans, and I tried to not let it affect me too much. Some good convo with WS, and some broken. I am exhausted.

Atta boy, mfoss! Mood follows action, and you'll soon find you're feeling better and more empowered about what you can do about saving your marriage. It may be very hard to do some of the things suggested here, but when you have your doubts, do as I do: have faith.

These people have "been there and done that." And they have the t-shirts to show for it! I have had to do some very unnatural (for me) actions, and looking back, each and every one of them has turned out to be correct!

I'd hate to think where I'd be without these fine people. Oh, wait. I know: alone, afraid, sick and sick at heart. Well, okay, three out of four ain't bad. crazy

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your support, it really helps.

The rollercoaster of emotions is quite strong. I am not sure if it means much that I slept well last night, finally. I think the hard part is coming up, when WS discovers my actions, and freaks. Will need all my strength to deal with that properly.

M
M
Mfoss, she will freak. Don't engage in that battle and don't apologize. She will say things like "I was going to try to work things out, but not now, not after what YOU'VE done". Or she'll say "how can I ever trust you again after this?" which is the biggest joke. Be prepared and stay calm. Your goal is to save your M.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for that. I am expecting these words.

Is it a good idea to say I believe she is in a fog based on the A? I imagine this will only make her angrier, but does it help on some level for me to be saying this? Or should I just plan A it, without apologies for my actions?

Is it ok for me to say, "I am sorry you feel so upset"? Any advice, links to articles, etc on dealing with this upcoming storm would be appreciated!

M
M
Thanks for that. I am expecting these words.

Is it a good idea to say I believe she is in a fog based on the A? I imagine this will only make her angrier, but does it help on some level for me to be saying this? Or should I just plan A it, without apologies for my actions?

Is it ok for me to say, "I am sorry you feel so upset"? Any advice, links to articles, etc on dealing with this upcoming storm would be appreciated!

No. Don't discuss aspects of the fog with her. It's like trying to reason the car keys away from a drunk. She'll probably scream like a banshee when she finds out what you've done. hurray Good. That means it's working - WSs don't like being exposed. Picture Dracula with the sunlight hitting him. Stay calm. Don't engage in a back and forth with her, because she isn't going to understand you while she's in this alien-state.

I wasn't the 'exposer' in my sitch, so I'll shut up now. whistle I'm sure some vets will be on here shortly with encouragement for you.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I'm sure some vets will be on here shortly with encouragement for you.

I hope so! smile

M
M
mfoss, just get prepared for her fury. And refuse to let it bother you. Like Maritalbliss said, it is the same as a falling down drunk who is enraged because you took the car keys. Would you try and reason with a falling down drunk? Well, a wayward is exactly the same mentality. She is high on the fumes of her affair.

So, don't let it bother you. She will threaten and rant and rave and try to bully you into stopping your exposures. THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET IT ALL DONE TODAY IN ONE FELL SWOOP. She is going to be furious anyway, might as well get your money's worth!

So when she rants and raves, just say "I am sorry you are so upset, I was just spreading the good news. Would you like a potato chip?" smile

mfoss, are you done with your exposures? Have you sent the letter to the workplace? Tracked down the OM's GF? Told your children? [ALONE!] Told her parents, your parents? This needs to get finished up quickly so you can move your focus to the CARROT of Plan A.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
mfoss, just get prepared for her fury. And refuse to let it bother you. Like Maritalbliss said, it is the same as a falling down drunk who is enraged because you took the car keys. Would you try and reason with a falling down drunk? Well, a wayward is exactly the same mentality. She is high on the fumes of her affair.

So, don't let it bother you. She will threaten and rant and rave and try to bully you into stopping your exposures. THIS IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET IT ALL DONE TODAY IN ONE FELL SWOOP. She is going to be furious anyway, might as well get your money's worth!

So when she rants and raves, just say "I am sorry you are so upset, I was just spreading the good news. Would you like a potato chip?" smile

mfoss, are you done with your exposures? Have you sent the letter to the workplace? Tracked down the OM's GF? Told your children? [ALONE!] Told her parents, your parents? This needs to get finished up quickly so you can move your focus to the CARROT of Plan A.

I was hoping you'd chime in Mel. smile Listen to these posts, mfoss, and follow them. This is your roadmap to recovery. I've watched too many betrayeds balk at this advice because it seems contrary to what they would consider a 'normal' reaction. These are NOT normal times and they require extraordinary measures. You can do this, mfoss!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
OP Offline
M
Hi ML:

thanks for the advice and response. I have to admit, I am worried about the reaction and how I respond. I want to respond well, and I thank you for your guidance. I will be dealing with an irrational actor it sounds like, so just need to be calm.

I am well into them. They are going really really well. Nothing but support, I am blessed to have such a supportive family. It is going to take time to get them all done, as not everyone is available etc... have lots of messages out there, and getting calls.

Workplace is done.

OM GF I have not been able to get contact info. Working on it. Lot of parents, sibling and friends. Kids are at school.

All guidance and advice welcomed, with gratefulness.

M
M
Hi ML:

thanks for the advice and response. I have to admit, I am worried about the reaction and how I respond. I want to respond well, and I thank you for your guidance. I will be dealing with an irrational actor it sounds like, so just need to be calm.

I am well into them. They are going really really well. Nothing but support, I am blessed to have such a supportive family. It is going to take time to get them all done, as not everyone is available etc... have lots of messages out there, and getting calls.

Workplace is done.

OM GF I have not been able to get contact info. Working on it. Lot of parents, sibling and friends. Kids are at school.

All guidance and advice welcomed, with gratefulness.

Get er done, mfoss!! And don't let FEAR of her reaction drive you. She can't hurt you with her anger, but she can bring down your marriage and your family with her affair. Your marriage can survive her temporary anger, it can't survive an affair.

Get the most critical exposures done first. For example, expose in the order of importance, ie: her parents, your parents, close sibs. You don't have to expose to every family member. Just those who are close to your family who may have some influence.

When will you be telling the kids? You do understand this needs to be done ALONE, right? With no forewarning to your wife.

Exposure 101

M
M
OM GF I have not been able to get contact info.

This is a critical exposure, mfoss. Have you tried calling his house?

Exposure 101

S
S
Try to find your confidence in what you are doing, she is the one who is doing something wrong!! You are the fighting for the M and giving her a chance to wake up and not make a disatrous mistake here.

When I exposed all I had was phone calls and text messages between my H and his OW. I didn't even know there was such a thing as an "emotional affair", but in my bones I knew that what he was doing was WRONG and my confidence in that didn't waiver for one second when dealing with him or anyone else.

re the OMgf, do you have his cell phone no? have you gotten a report from intelius.org on who the phone belongs to? might be in gf's name...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation