Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
I will try to summarize. Please help.

Married 20 yrs to high school love of my life. Wonderful marriage. One child.

18 months ago WW got involved with her boss. Emails, calls. I accidentally discovered this and was floored.

Over the next 12 months WW insisted they were not talking. She was very disconnected. Emotionally and physically. Just a phase.

5 months ago I caught her on a secret cell phone with him. I confronted her, and him physically. The whole thing blew up publicly and he lost his job. WW confessed 3 month affair to me and months of talking and seeing each other with no sex.

WW was distraught with guilt, shame, and ruined reputation as she was a pillar in our small town. WW confessed the affair and said she wanted to try to save the marriage.

2 months after confession were rough. Fights. Ugly.
Last 3 months have been "good". No fights. Cordial. Doing things together. Talks. Swears she hasn't talked to him in 5 months.

WW can't get over it. Says she loves him, can never love me like I deserve, can't commit 100% to us.

I have demanded she leave several times and she doesn't. Says she loves me but can't show it. No affection, no I love you, no sex. Roommates.

I am ready to quit because I cant continue living with a woman who loves another man and who can't love me.

Help.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
L
L
You'll get plenty of advice from the vets here but I'll put my 2cents in.

Read Surviving an affair. If you're not familiar with Plans A or B start surfing this site for information on those.

IMO although you're in a tragic and painful situation, you are also in a good position to start a stellar plan A.

Sorry your here and my prayers are with you.

Don't pray for God to guide your footsteps unless you are willing to move your feet

Me BH 55, WW 40, M 12 yrs, 3 Boys 19, 10 & 8.
Separated Sept 08
DDay Dec 08
Plan A Mar 09
Plan B 16 Nov 09
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you! I know plan A/B and admit I have not done well with plan A.

I have made demands like(you will not have a relationship with him and be married to me). And been hurtfull and ugly at times.

BUT...it has been because of the frustration from her not getting over it her lack of concern for what I need.

She admits she is holding on to see if he leaves his wife which means I am the fall back position for her. So do I just sit and wait to be second choice?

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
I
I
How did she end it? Was there a "no contact" letter or a "I love you but let's cool off for a bit" letter? Did you expose to the OW's W? I assume she knows since he lost his job, but you never know how he might have spun it to her. Sounds like there might be some continuing contact between them that is keeping her foggy. What snooping have you been doing?

R
OP Offline
R
She said it was ended as a last conversation that "you work on your marriage and I will work on mine and if they fail maybe we will be together".

She has worked things so the door for them is still open by telling me she still has feelings for him, doesn't know what she will do if he leaves his wife.....and at the same time becomes distraught and begs that we not get a divorce when I tell her I am at my end of patience.

His wife definitely knows...as does the whole town.

I have snooped alot. But I was before the confession because I suspected something since she was so disconnected. She is very clever. I routinely checked cell phone, emails, and things but didn't catch her but by accident.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
R
OP Offline
R
Everything works fine for us as long as I am content being a roommate. She wants to talk, share the day, do things but its understood she is not 100% to the marriage and still has feelings for him.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
B
B
For what its worth,
A) It has not been long enough for your wife to find the "feelings" subsiding. 24 months is a better time frame in which to judge the "in love" feelings. My wife had the exact same problems.
B) You said you haven't been doing a great plan A which is understandable however its necessary for a great marriage no matter if an affair happened or not.
C) Your wife says she wants to try to save the marriage so what has she been doing?? She should be focusing her efforts on your needs and doing whatever is necessary to make you feel you can trust her. Complete openess and honesty is a start.

Try starting with this with her: "What does the ideal situation look like for a great marriage and family?" If she replies anything like "to be in love with the father of my children and having my needs met by my husband." then you have the basis from which to start acting on. Remember, love is an action, not just a feeling, so for her to see the ideal and start acting with that goal in mind will improve things tremendously.

God's goal for marriage: Become ONE! How? MBer methods.
Me:husband 42
wife, 40
married 1/12/1991
3 children, 1 granddaughter
R
OP Offline
R
My plan A failures have been talking about our relationship status to much. Not the affair, but more about what I need from her to do to make this work. She says I badger her and get angry. I tell her I need for her to show me she loves me by 1. Telling me 2.Affection such as hugs, kiss, hand holding.

She says she is doing all she can do at this time. Just trying to survive each day from a very public and humiliating thing.

She says she is showing me she loves me by being here, cooking, spending time together.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
N
N
Originally Posted by Ready2Quit
I have made demands like(you will not have a relationship with him and be married to me). And been hurtfull and ugly at times.

This is NOT a Selfish Demand. It is a boundary. A very necessary one at that....

How close does the OM live to you??

Do you have access to her email, cell phone, and cell phone records???

Welcome, BTW....this is a very good place to be, considering the circumstances. Are you ready to do a STELLAR Plan A???....with help and guidance from the VETS around here, we can help you do this.

There is very good HOPE for your marriage, but hope is not a PLAN. Give us a shot....you don't have anything to lose....

Hang in there...not2fun

R
OP Offline
R
The OM lives a few miles away. Small town.

I do have access to her email, cell phone, etc. but did for a year. She knew I was checking them. They talked at her job and she had a prepaid cell phone. Since she confessed she says they haven't talked at all. (5 months ago). The past 3 have been good if you call roommates good.

But she says her feelings for him are stronger than she thought and she can't love me like a wife should love a H.

As for a stellar plan A? I'm not sure I can do it. She had the A...shouldn't she be the one doing the heavy work? For 2 months I have done that, but I can't continue to live with a wife who loves another man and can't be 100% committed to our marriage.

She admits she is holding on and not sure if she would leave if his marriage were to fail.

What should I expect from her now?

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
T
T
You're about 5 months post D-day. I've seen lots and lots of posts about 6 months post D-day where the BS gets angry. Just furious.

When the A is discovered, the BS usually puts everything they have into trying to save the M. After about six months of this, the taker rears his head and the BS gets resentful (and understandably so!). The BS is angry that they were so deeply wronged by the WS and yet they (the BS) are the ones left picking up pieces and doing the heavy lifting in putting things back together again.

I have demanded she leave several times and she doesn't. Says she loves me but can't show it.
This shows she *does* love you. There is definitely hope for your M *if* she will put in the effort required to build a truly intimate M.

By the way, you need to get rid of your love busters. She won't feel in love with you while you're making selfish demands.

I doubt she's over withdrawal yet. I think she's still foggy and wayward thinking. As long as OM is her mental "fall back" guy she's a WW and not yet a FWW. That's okay, it takes a long time to earn the "F". It looks to me like you guys are kinda sorta on track but you could do better.

Will she go to a MB weekend with you? That would be the best.
If not that, would she counsel over the phone with the Harleys or do their home course? http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi020_sem.html

She needs to "own" earning your trust. She's failing miserably in this regard because she's still entertaining the notion that she could go to OM "in case the M doesn't work out." You can't teach her this, however, and you can't demand it. All you can do is tell her how you feel, and why. Tell her you'd like her to write a proper NC letter that YOU send to OM and his BW. She'll probably refuse now but you should at least let her know that's what you want.

Do you know how to do "I" sentences? "When you do X, I feel Y, (because of Z)". An example:
I feel threatened and insecure because you never wrote OM a NC letter severing ties with him and stating clearly that I am your number one priority.

You can't interpret her actions (if you loved me, if you were serious about recovering, if you truly wanted this M you'd write the letter....). All you can do is tell her how her failure to write the letter makes you feel.

It's too early in recovery for the lightbulb to go off in her brain. She hasn't a clue yet what she's done. Have patience, pursue a plan of recovery, and -- if she pursues it with you in actions (not just words) -- I think you guys have a great shot.

What is your plan? That is key.

R
OP Offline
R
Thank you. After 5 months that is exactly what has happened. The taker in me says I have need too!!

I failed to mention 2 months of counseling immediately after the A. It was her idea, but it was also hers to stop going. She said it seemed to lead to more fights, and I think it did. Example" The counselor said "XYZ" and off we go into a fight.

She would say she is earning my trust by calling to tell me where she is, even using debit card so I can verify she is at the mall, etc. but the biggest trust buster is her admission she may leave if his marriage fails.

I know she will refuse the letter. She will say its been 5 months and I don't want to start up something again with them.

I will look into the MB weekend.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
N
N
I will look into the MB weekend.

Good idea....its the best thing you could do for your marriage...for BOTH of you

T
T
How close to the OM does WW and you live?

Does WW still work for the same Co.?

Where is the OM working now?

Have you read "surviving an affair" "his needs her needs"

After you have read these books maybe you can counsel with the Harley's.

R
OP Offline
R
OM lives a few miles away. Small town.

WW still works for same company. This has has added to her humiliation and stress.

OM not working now.

Read His needs/her needs.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
M
M
failed to mention 2 months of counseling immediately after the A. It was her idea, but it was also hers to stop going. She said it seemed to lead to more fights, and I think it did. Example" The counselor said "XYZ" and off we go into a fight.

R2Q, the problem with traditional counseling is that they don't have the slightest idea how to save a marriage and even less knowledge of the impact of adultery on a marriage. It is useless, which would account for their 84% failure rate. MB differs dramatically in that they are PRO-marriage, know how to achieve a happy marriage and believe in the concept of romantic love.

The solution for your marriage is to fall in love again. If you will throw yourself into this program and actually use it, you will see a dramatic difference. My H and I went to the MB weekend in 2007 and used these principles for many years beforehand, and we have a romantic, passionate marriage.

If yuo want to turn this around I would suggest going to a MB weekend. They will assign you a coach who guides you through this whole program and keeps you both accountable. It usually takes a year to get through the whole program, but they stick with you until it is done.

The 2nd fastest horse is phone counseling with Steve Harley or his sister, psychologist, Dr Jennifer Chalmers. They are worth every penny and are very effective.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
OP Offline
R
What I don't get is on one hand WW tells me she loves me, wants marriage to work, gets severely stressed and down when I throw my hands up and tell her to leave.

On the other hand she says she still has strong feelings for him, can't love me like a W should love a H. So I say ok, lets end it and she says NO! Give me time to get over this, get over him.

I say ok, but I need for you to show me you are committed to this marriage and love me. (Hugs, Kiss, say I love you).

She can't do it.

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
M
M
What I don't get is on one hand WW tells me she loves me, wants marriage to work, gets severely stressed and down when I throw my hands up and tell her to leave.

On the other hand she says she still has strong feelings for him, can't love me like a W should love a H. So I say ok, lets end it and she says NO! Give me time to get over this, get over him.

I say ok, but I need for you to show me you are committed to this marriage and love me. (Hugs, Kiss, say I love you).

She can't do it.

Thats right. Because she is not in love with you. That is why she had the affair. But if you want your marriage to recover, you need to have a PLAN to fall in love.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
OP Offline
R
For 2 months my plan was desperately trying to hold onto my family. Then things quickly changed to our current roommate status. Cordial, talkative, nice. She hates to talk about the status of our marriage, what she is not doing to help me. Says it just reminds her of the guilt and shame.

I feel like, and told her, that she is stuck. Cant progress and more toward a normal marriage. We have discussed what a normal healthy marriage is and both agree we want that.

My plan for 3 months has been to wait on her to get over it. But about once or twice per week I need to talk about what is wrong in our M, our progress and she says its just badgering her.

I am at the point I can't wait anymore. I cant come home to a wife who loves another man, go to bed at night with a wife missing another man. I have needs and have expressed them to her and she just can't do it....hence my name Ready2Quit.

PS. I know I am her fallback. IF OM doesn't leave his BW then she will finally give up waiting on him and make the best of our M. So what do I do?

BH Age 45
WW Age 44
M 20 yrs
Son 14 yrs
K
K
The decision is up to you. If you want to leave, do so.

Only YOU can decide.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T
71,842 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation