Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 42 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 41 42
G
G
Originally Posted by Jonpen
Why is she being overly nice?
Guilt, confusion about your actions, and an attempt at reciprocating. But don't worry Jon, she will flop back to mean and resentful in a few days, then flop back to kind and nice. There is a reason this whole thing is called a roller coaster ride, it goes up and down.

The good news is the longer into withdrawal and NC you go, the farther apart and less severe the "Mean/Resentful" stages are, until you realize one day there aren't anymore.

The bad news is you are very early into this. Withdrawal will take anywhere from 3 months to 2yrs, and recovery cant really begin until withdrawal is over, then recovery takes 1 to 5yrs.

This is a long ride Jon, not a quick sprint.

I think she is being nice to try to get me to go along with the D.
Perhaps, but she is not going to follow through.
There will be no D Jon, she will not file.

Jon, did you read the "Carrot and Stick of Plan-A" thread I linked you to?

Have you read any of Dr. Harleys articles on affairs?

How about the book "Surviving an affair"?

One other thing, fill out you sig line with a few basic details. It helps new people understand you, situation better.

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Gack, i did read the carrot and the stick of plan A. I also read alot of DR.H's articles, I have not yet read the surviving an affair book but I plan to get it next time I'm out. I tried the Sig thing and it keeps giving me an error for some reason, I will keep trying to update that though.
Ok, about Valentine's day coming up.... I know I probably shouldn't get her anything but in order to show admiration for the things she is doing I could pay for her a spa visit and say "I know were not getting each other anything for V day but I figured since you have been working so hard and are very stressed right now you could use a spa visit". what do you all think?

G
G
What do you normally get her for V-day?

Me 34
WW 30
J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Usually, a card, some roses and candy you know the typical V day stuff

G
G
Usually, a card, some roses and candy you know the typical V day stuff
I probably would not go over the top this year. But a little extra would not hurt.

Does your W know what Feb-15 is? grin

Me 34
WW 30
J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Feb 14th is V day whats Feb 15th?

J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys and gals, just giving you the latest update on my alien infested WS smile
Today she has been in a REALLY good mood, Today she was on the internet searching for Taurus and Pisces love compatibility etc... Good news is I'm a Pisces and before she was always searching for Sagitarius which is the OM she hasn't pulled up his facebook page in awhile since he removed all his pictures.

I was in our bedroom watching tv when she went into our bathroom to take a shower, when she got out she came into the bedroom only wearing a towel, then she went back into the bathroom (which is in our bedroom where I was) and left the door cracked just enough to where I could see in and removed her towel. then she put her underwear on and came out to put her pants on. this may be nothing but it was kind of like she was flaunting herself to me.

She also bought a new outfit and when she put it on and was leaving i said "Wow you look so sexy, i love that outfit on you" instead of brushing it off like normal she blushed and said "oh, thanks"

She went out to get a haircut with one of her friends and called me while she was out, she was VERY outgoing and cheerful and said i just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going, then she gave me the daitls of where she was and she said "I thought it may cross your mind that i was out with someone else so you can talk with my friend (which i know her friend really well) I said "no of course not, It didn't even cross my mind" which of course I was thinking that the whole time.

She has been very nice and happy after she talked to my mom, which it was the first time they talked since all this happened, and it was a big emotional conversation because her and my mom are very close.

now i'm not getting my hopes up but I think if she TRULY wanted the D she wouldn't call in to confirm her whereabouts, or being looking up our love compatibility, which good news is...according to the Horoscope nonsense we are VERY compatible smile what do you vets think about all this?

J
J
She's not going to file...she's not going to file...she's not going to file.

Just be confident and know that your plan A is working. A few more months of this and you might get somewhere, but you got quit overanalyzing everything or you will drive yourself crazy. There will be highs, there will be lows. You just have to learn and accept that. Keep working to make your positive changes permanent. Don't slip back to your old ways of treating her. If you don't and you don't drive yourself crazy with the day-to-day rollercoaster of recovery, then I think you'll be fine.

Trust us.

Last edited by jmwc95; 02/04/10 04:08 PM.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
E
E
Hi Jon,

I'm glad that you are getting a break from the drama. Your WW's behavior seems encouraging. Stay guarded.

During my WW's withdrawal I kept repeating myself: "don't get too high on the highs and don't get too low on the lows". You may want to look at it that way to avoid expectations in any direction.

Keep up with your plan A. 100% giver without expecting anything from WW in return. Just expect your own improvement.

--ElCamino72

T
T
She went out to get a haircut with one of her friends and called me while she was out, she was VERY outgoing and cheerful and said i just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going, then she gave me the daitls of where she was and she said "I thought it may cross your mind that i was out with someone else so you can talk with my friend (which i know her friend really well) I said "no of course not, It didn't even cross my mind" which of course I was thinking that the whole time.

Why did you lie to her? A strong marriage is not built on a foundation of lies, it is built on honesty. Honesty that is easy does not count for much but honesty when it's difficult to be honest counts for a lot.

She KNEW you were worried. You lied about it, and ignored the elephant under the rug, which pretty much gives her permission to ignore it too.

Next time tell her: You have no idea how much I appreciate this gesture. Thank you. Have fun with your friends!

J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No, I meant it didn't cross my mind that she was with someone else. I knew she was with her friend. I can see how you misunderstood that smile

M
M
No, I meant it didn't cross my mind that she was with someone else. I knew she was with her friend. I can see how you misunderstood that smile

But that's not what you posted. naughty You posted she said "I thought it may cross your mind that i was out with someone else so you can talk with my friend (which i know her friend really well) I said "no of course not, It didn't even cross my mind" which of course I was thinking that the whole time. And it's okay to think the white lie you told her is understandable. It is, because you're not used to being completely open & honest. Wait until you see how freeing it is to be able to honestly tell her everything you're thinking.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Lol, I've caused a contraversy now smile when I said "which of course I was thinking that the whole time" I meant I was thinking she was with her friend not the OM.
I wouldn't lie to you all. I KNOW she wasn't with the OM and I really didn't think that she was. If I had any assumptions or reason to believe she was with him I would have told her.
She called me again and is saying stuff like "your not mad that I went out are you"? and "if you want me to come home I will" etc... What is going on with her?

C
C
Somewhere here the is a thread called "The art of war"

Its a very explicit example of how to fight the enemy. You guys are in a battle for your marriage and you should not stop fighting for it after the emergency is over, if it gets over.

Many false recoverys happen because ppl don't continue with building the marraige foundation after the initial "pain" stops. They get so scared to mess anything up, they stop working on the reasons they had a problem in the first place.
Lets all be honest, if we were still in love with our spouses and them with us and there were no problem we wouldn't be here. Something happened to mess it up, its different for all of us but we lose the original "in love and everything will be alright" feelings and we lack the tools to maintain the emotional bond we crave.

Recovery is hard, we must face our failures as well as our spouses and forgive and forget. That takes repentence, a demonstrated result of change and time to heal. Trust needs to be earned again and the secure feeling we had prior to the affair is absent untill enough time goes by with absolute complete transparancy with each other.

The MB principles work. They are based on what it takes to have a healthy marriage, not nessesarily personal growth because you can both enthusiastically agree and trust each other EVEN IF, you are doing something stupid and childish together. The point is you are doing it together. The point here is that even if two ppl are as dumb as a post they can grow up together. I was married 24 years and thetough things we went through together with honesty were really tough but when we were dedicated to honesty and truth we made it thru some really bad stuff. As soon as lies and deception crept in, we were sunk, we had to work on what we had, and we were never perfect. Many times we acted like we were suppossed to even if we didn't feel like it and then later examined why we didn't feel like it. We had to get over betrayal on many levels including adultry and it took time to get back from that awful place.

Guess what I am saying is now is the beginning of what can be the best marriage you would ever experiance but as soon as you stop the constant care of each other and assume you are ok, something can sneak in so be ready for a fight with fear and insecurity and don't let anything get in the way of useing the tools found here in MB. I wish we had found this place years ago and you knowwhat? Many of the principles we used to recover when we did are the same ones I see here in MB. If we had support like this our time together would have lasted longer and would have been healthier.

Make no mistake, its a fight to the finish for a prize that gets more precious after every battle

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Her friend she went out with last night said that she could tell my WS was happy and wasn't in the same depressed state she's normally in. She did say that she brought up the D a few times but never actually talked about it. The only things she said were "I'm so stressed still because of my job and I haven't even got an attorney for the D" and then she said "I never would have thought I would be in this position, I cheated on my husband and now I'm getting a D, I wish I could go back 10 years eralier and be a kid again."

I called her friend last night when my WS wasn't with her and talked for awhile with her, thats how i know my WS said these things. She seems to think she still probably won't file. Plan A continues....

T
T
WW should not be out bar hopping morning noon or night.

Being a bar fly and a wife do not mix.

G
G
She seems to think she still probably won't file.
Gee, where have I heard that before? cool

Me 34
WW 30
M
M
Originally Posted by Gack1

Props to Gack! hurray

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
J
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by Gack1

Props to Gack! hurray

Whatever, I said it first. smirk

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
J
Jonpen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
lol you all, I still think she will file but thats just me smile
And she wasn't bar hopping, my WS doesn't drink at all. they went out to eat and went to a few different stores.
Today is a hard one, because I love my wife so much and I want to walk up and be able to hug her and kiss her and I know I can't. She got a haircut yesterday and I complimented it and she said "it's just trimmed" I said i like the way you fixed your bangs she said "my bangs have always been like this" and it was just an ackward moment. frown

Page 22 of 42 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 624 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation