Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28
L
L
Hey opt - I'm still keeping up with you buddy, but I just don't have a lot to offer as far as advice. I can continue to give you support and hugs, though.

You haven't mentioned the 'second A' in a while - is WW still going over for ummm coffee on a regular basis? What's happening there?

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
The biggest tip I could give you is to stay busy.

Okay, BT. Good, cause that's what I'm planning to do. I'm having the floors done (never could before b/c �it makes a mess, it stinks, costs too much, etc.� Brother! This will require some serious furniture moving (physical work) and when the kids are here I�m looking forward to having all the beds in the LR like a big camp-out. I�ll follow all that up with some serious painting starting with my bedroom; a transformation if you will. All this should be a good 6 weeks b/c I intend to be meticulous; no reason to be in a hurry, really.

The next level of this question is should I go into some sort of a Plan B once ww moves out; or maybe after the court date? Ww isn�t going to like Plan B; won�t fit in with her divorce fantasy. But I think if I explain it�s just to re-center myself after all the pain I�ve been through she might actually respect it. She hasn�t admitted or apologized for her EA (she justifies it/minimizes it/blame shifts it/you name it); but she has been fairly good about recognizing that I consider it adultery. It�s perhaps a dichotomy, but I�m glad she at least gives me that.

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
You haven't mentioned the 'second A' in a while - is WW still going over for ummm coffee on a regular basis? What's happening there?

("ummmm coffee" LOL)
No, Linus; she seems to have backed off on this one. About 3 weeks ago I asked her to please just give me some dignity and stop traipsing back and forth to POM#2�s house. She got defensive at first and proclaimed �I don�t care what the neighbors think�� (well, obviously, considering your last affair was with the OTHER neighbor�) ��because I know I�m not doing anything wrong in there.� (a little entitled are we?). But then I calmly explained that I had to live in this neighborhood and I DO care what the neighbors think. For some reason that got through and she has respected the request as far as I know. They could be talking for hours on the phone everyday and I know he helped her get her car fixed after a recent fender-bender, but at least she�s not blatantly humiliating me anymore.

No, this relationship with POM#2 doesn�t seem to have the markings of a real A. But it sure did before, and I sure don�t regret calling a duck a �duck.� My buddy says it won�t be long before the rats start coming out of the woodwork after the D; we�ll see what kind of relationship develops when she�s free to do whatever she wants and that will shed some light on what was going on around the first of the year (and up til then). Thing is: my kids aren�t stupid. They�ll eventually put 1 and 1 together if she dates him and know that the �he�s just a friend� line was yet another untruth. I have no intention of pointing it out � no need. I already had a heart to heart with DS13 that �I don�t hate pom#2, I just have no respect for a single man who tries to spend a lot of time with a married woman. He�s proved to me what kind of a friend he is and that�s not the kind of friend I need.�

Obviously, the level of disrespect she showed toward me by cultivating a relationship with a single man just on the heels of carrying out a full fledged EA was just blatant disregard for me as a person. So A or no A, I am perfectly okay with the fact that that relationship was ultimately the last straw for me. She wasn�t getting it, doesn�t want to get it, never will get it. I wish I could help her.

-and I�ll take all the hugs I can get Linus!

opt

Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
Had another in-depth conversation with ww this am. I started by asking if she was having any second thoughts about divorce (which she says "yes, from time to time").
I made a point that we could still recover the M, but it would take work. And that I would be willing to do my part if she was interested.

She leaned back on her philosophy that she�s not someone who can follow a �specific path� from �point A to point B� (should be point D, lol). She admires my ability to do so, and even is jealous of it. Therefore MB (or evidently any other formal method of marriage recovery) is just not for her. [All this is probably where the �MB=cult� was coming from]. She says she�s �always been that way...never been one to follow certain methods� (kindof explains the state of affairs now doesn�t it?)

I again presented that I could handle the whole divorce idea better if the path hadn�t had to go through an emotional affair. That her discovering all of her unhappiness via going outside the marriage was pretty lame. (She again re-defined/re-qualified the EA as something other than what it is, but also admitted once again her ultimate embarassment about it).

I also explained that once she realized her discontent, I wish she had given me a chance to make the needed changes in my behavior/character (which I�ve done pretty well for 3-4 months so far, I think).

None of this seemed to have much of an impact, but I felt it was important for me to communicate. She had some responses but they weren�t very impressive to me either, since I can�t seem to remember them right now; although I really was listening intently.

She got back to another one of her gems �if we were meant to be together, it will happen either way.� [like something from a song defines my marriage at this point]. I explained the chances of that get less and less as we go forth towards D and the time to change it would be now, before the hearing.

Not much hope for recovery here, but I figure another try wouldn't hurt. I also feel there's no harm in communicating. I guess I have a lot to learn in that area, the practice helps. And it's therapeutic in a way. Kinda like processing info and writing it here.

---Took D8 to dinner and a movie (Alice in Wonderland) last night. This after winning a pool tournament. Definitely not wallowing in self-pity.

grin

Another EA Story
L
L
Originally Posted by optimism
She leaned back on her philosophy that she�s not someone who can follow a �specific path� from �point A to point B� (should be point D, lol). She admires my ability to do so, and even is jealous of it. Therefore MB (or evidently any other formal method of marriage recovery) is just not for her. [All this is probably where the �MB=cult� was coming from]. She says she�s �always been that way...never been one to follow certain methods� (kindof explains the state of affairs now doesn�t it?)
Sounds like fogtalk. She doesn't want to follow a path because she doesn't want to be held accountable for her actions.

She got back to another one of her gems �if we were meant to be together, it will happen either way.� [like something from a song defines my marriage at this point].
Don't you just love it? My FWW and POSOM used to communicate by sending each other song titles. I suppose the lyrics were meant to be 'love letters' to each other. Seems like a lot of them were of the 'we were meant to be together' theme. Made me sick.

Not much hope for recovery here, but I figure another try wouldn't hurt. I also feel there's no harm in communicating. I guess I have a lot to learn in that area, the practice helps. And it's therapeutic in a way. Kinda like processing info and writing it here.
Keep communicating - ya never know.

---Took D8 to dinner and a movie (Alice in Wonderland) last night. This after winning a pool tournament. Definitely not wallowing in self-pity. grin
Great job, opt!! The time spent with the kids is priceless.

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
Sounds like fogtalk. She doesn't want to follow a path because she doesn't want to be held accountable for her actions
Hard to figure Linus. Definitely sounds foggy, but I really don't think there's much an affair going on. It's almost more like she's just in love with the idea of not being married anymore. Selfishness. Either way, I agree about the second part. I also think there's a little intellectual laziness going on. MB is definitely not the path of least resistance at this point.Although I did try to point out that D wasn�t going to be a walk in the park either; she claims to understand this.
well, as usual, thanks for your input.

opt

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
Don't you just love it? My FWW and POSOM used to communicate by sending each other song titles. I suppose the lyrics were meant to be 'love letters' to each other. Seems like a lot of them were of the 'we were meant to be together' theme. Made me sick.
Okay, that's gross. What are they 14?
I know my wife really likes the song by Sting "If you love someone, set them free." I actually broke up with her way a long time before we got married and I did come back. I guess she wants me to do the same thing. I'm tyring to point out that it's a little different now that there is a Marriage and kids involved. Unbelievable.

Another EA Story
T
T
Sounds like fogtalk. She doesn't want to follow a path because she doesn't want to be held accountable for her actions
Hard to figure Linus. Definitely sounds foggy, but I really don't think there's much an affair going on. It's almost more like she's just in love with the idea of not being married anymore. Selfishness. Either way, I agree about the second part. I also think there's a little intellectual laziness going on. MB is definitely not the path of least resistance at this point.Although I did try to point out that D wasn�t going to be a walk in the park either; she claims to understand this.
opt

Hey Opt,

Skatt has given me a lot of the same lines. And I TOTALLY agree that, like Mrs. Opt, Skatt is just kind of in love with the idea of being on her own. NOT being married anymore. Sure, there's something still percolating between the two of us, and neither one of us wants to throw away some great history, but it's just not enough. Unfortunately, what we HAD, coupled with what we CAN HAVE, doesn't outweigh what she currently HAS. Her independence.

So, we both walk a little closer to that cliff.....

Hang in there, Opt.

TB

_
_
Opt-

Sorry to leave you hanging there. I have read your posts over the last couple days and I can totally relate to the contemplation and 'soul searching' you are doing.

I appreciate and understand your answer to my question (both parts) and you have also given me quite a bit to think about in my own situation. I agree with Linus that a lot of what your WW seems to be saying is still a bunch of fog talk. It seems your WW and mine are cut from the same mold.

I'll respond more later, but I just wanted to let you know I am still here with you my friend.

-SOL
O
OP Offline
O
BT, why do you call her Skatt?
I guess she has her reasons for wanting to be "alone." (time will tell what alone really means). I havent' been the best husband. Not taking all the blame here, but there does come a time when too little too late is too little, too late.

Linus. I'm worried about Limb.

Another EA Story
_
_
Are you currently beyond any thoughts of recovering your M? I know you are not actively working to that end, but if WW has a sudden realization and agrees to comply w/any and all of your requirements, would you? Or have you made up your mind and no matter what, you are marching for Plan D?

Answer � Part I:
I�ve been thinking of this question for two days and I�ve only concluded that it�s very difficult to answer right now because I have such mixed emotions.

First you should know that through a lot of introspection and analysis of my 15 year marriage, I have concluded that, as mentioned above, this M was not based on strong principles. Details not necessary, you can trust me on that. So, the next logical question is why stay in a R for so long if it�s not �working.� My EN�s weren�t being met, not by a long shot. Evidently neither were hers; but with such a lack of communication (an essential ingredient in any bad M) we weren�t able or willing to discuss that fact more than we did.

Isn't that the crux of our whole problem? Recovery and a healthy marriage are possible as long as BOTH spouses are willing to work towards that end. MB and many others have said and demonstrated that love can be restored in a dying marriage, but all have also said that it takes two to get there. Seems we BSs have to sit by and wait for the light to come on over the wayward's head. How do you make somebody become willing to be willing?

Of course we didn�t know anything about options or MB principles, so we were just like every other struggling M before a possible solution presents itself (which is usually precipitated by a crisis, unfortunately).

And now one of you has learned these principles and a way to restore love in the relationship, however one spouse alone is not enough.

What I always leaned on was a philosophy I developed in college �make a decision and live with it.� That philosophy saved me from a lot of hand-ringing and procrastination throughout my adult life. I always figured I could make the best of virtually any situation. Enter kids into the equation outlined above and you have someone who can swallow a lack of SF for the sake of making sure the children aren�t raised in two single parent households. Frankly, my wife is excellent at avoiding LB�ers. She also found a way to ignore mine, at least on the outside. We went for 7 years like that after the birth of D8.

I like the 'make a decision and stick with it' philosophy. Maybe that's why we are here, struggling heroically to find redemption in our decision to marry in the first place. Continuing to sacrifice of our own happiness to meet our spouse's ENs and protect the children because "that is what we are supposed to do."
Seems like you both were missing something from each other and trying to carry on with your lives, not knowing at the time that there was a better way to work a marriage.

And you know what? I�d probably do another 8 years like that if I thought it would be positive for the kids. I would walk through fire for them.

However, I won�t endure the abuse of a wayward who isn�t interested in working to better the marriage. That�s not the kind of R I want to model for them. I would be a bad parent if I allowed them to grow up thinking there was anything normal about a parent having boyfriends and then not taking responsibility for such a colossal mistake.

Once again, what I think is the crux of the problem. Getting a wayward to become willing. Enter into the equation some of our own justifiable anger and pretty soon, enough is enough. We keep searching for the magic bullet, but at what cost to ourselves?

Thing is, she�s never going to own up to her issues. And that brings me to Part II.

At least while she is still in the active A and fog. Many former waywards acted and behaved in the same manner until the A ended and the fog lifted.

-SOL
_
_
Are you currently beyond any thoughts of recovering your M? I know you are not actively working to that end, but if WW has a sudden realization and agrees to comply w/any and all of your requirements, would you? Or have you made up your mind and no matter what, you are marching for Plan D?
Part II:

I can count on one hand the number of times my wife has accepted responsibility for a bad decision, mistake, etc. She just doesn�t have that trait/skill. I guess it is in her upbringing or genes or something of that nature. Unfortunately, I think this leads to a tremendous inability to grow as a person. When you won�t admit a mistake, you can�t learn from it.

It is so odd that my WW shares this exact same trait. I seriously can't remember when she has EVER genuinely apologized. Even her counselor has said she is the most stubborn person she has ever met. I also think this is a very tough character flaw to get past.

She went through a period of serious contemplation and soul searching, introspection, building when she was in her 20�s. But I think that was about it. I really haven�t seen any substantial desire on her part since we got married to grow as a person. She seems quite content with who she is. And who she is is arguably a pretty good person. Very good in fact. I could actually stay married to her as she�s actually quite pleasant to be around and doesn�t really cause much trouble. But it would be a weak relationship. One that couldn�t endure Adultery.

Through learning about MB principles, I can see that there is a possibility of having a gratifying special relationship. I just don�t see it happening with STBXW.

However, to answer your question more directly, if she somehow came to a change of heart, she would have to agree to a substantial list of conditions I have stored in a document. It is substantial. Almost impossibly substantial.

I saw in another thread a listing of requirements to be met. Some vets had knocked out some of the specifics and recommended changing it to simply living by the PJOA. Just a thought.

Interestingly, on Sunday I got her a card. There is actually a section for �Troubled Relationship.� Found one of these cards in that section too! Hallmark- they think of everything don't they? I wrote in it some words about hoping she would explore her spirituality at some point, something I think is sorely missing from her life; just expressing that God hasn�t forgotten her. I also mentioned that if she decided to try and explore the possibility of reconciling, I would be willing to discuss it with her openly. That didn�t get any response. I must be a real SOB, lol.

I think that was a very noble attempt, and really probably the only one that will work. We are completely, utterly incapable of changing our waywards. No form of rational logic, education, pleading, charming,or even ignoring seems to have much impact. We are powerless to 'make' our waywards see things our way, or have a change of heart. This MUST come from within them, and they are usually also incapable of making that change themselves. I am convinced that only God has the power to change or soften a wayward's heart. JMHO, and I don't mean to get preachy, but this is something I am having a hard time trying to accept. I'm trying to let go and put this in God's hands. As my MIL recently asked my WW, "Where in His word can you find His approval of this relatoinship?" (She is a great woman)

And don�t get me wrong. I�ve played a very considerable role in getting us where we are today. I recognize that. Part of my problem is being able to point out everyone else�s faults, as I�ve done so effectively above; but hey, that�s me. Call it ignorance. Tragic ignorance. I�ve since learned the difference between disrespectful judgements and recognizing facts � that�s honestly what I�ve tried to do here.

It seems that D-day and the A are instant eye-openers and allow us to really see our lives with clarity, both internally and externally.

Anyway, this A was the game changer.

It also changed me as a person; I don�t look at things the same way. When we started this whole adventure I remember latching on to our counselor�s phrase �Behaviors repeated form habits. Habits repeated form character.� I have a lot of behaviors that I could stand to adopt, and a lot I could stand to eliminate; the process has started and is influenced highly by what I�ve learned here.

That is what I believe one of the greatest things about this site and the MB principles- the self-improvement and self-awareness that comes along with this life changing (and shattering) process. I guess there really is some good in everything.

-SOL
O
OP Offline
O
I think that was a very noble attempt, and really probably the only one that will work. We are completely, utterly incapable of changing our waywards. No form of rational logic, education, pleading, charming,or even ignoring seems to have much impact. We are powerless to 'make' our waywards see things our way, or have a change of heart. This MUST come from within them, and they are usually also incapable of making that change themselves. I am convinced that only God has the power to change or soften a wayward's heart. JMHO, and I don't mean to get preachy, but this is something I am having a hard time trying to accept. I'm trying to let go and put this in God's hands. As my MIL recently asked my WW, "Where in His word can you find His approval of this relatoinship?" (She is a great woman)

Limb!! So glad to hear from you. And thanks so much for your insightful comments.

I have to tell you, first of all -not preachy, at all. Anyway. Last night I said a Rosary for the first time in years for my sife to find her Faith. REading your quote above was just another example of the ways He works in our lives.

opt

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
Okay, a little episode I have to share:
finally confronted ww on a Possible EA she might have had while on a cruise over Christmas break. Some of you may remember reading about it in this thread- I couldn't go it was DS13 and her Father & STBStep Mother. I did my first snooping in 2 months tonight and found out she was indeed communicating with this guy as late as Feb 6 � two weeks after I pulled the trigger on Divorce. Not extremely substantial e-mails (and he lives in��.ready for this��..Australia!). I found it curious that she made sure to point out in her email that �the divorce will final in a couple of months.�

If you remember my daily letters fell totally flat and she accused me of "invading her space" - I suspect I was disrupting her ability to carry out yet another affair in peace and privacy.

Well we have been having really good communication throughout the divorce and this new info was bothering me (not sure why, it really just affirms for me that I can�t be married to her anymore). So I came right out with it: �I know you had an affair with �A� and I was just wondering what the status of your relationship is with him at this point�.

She squirmed a little, employed some diversional tactics (�he was just a friend, if I was going to have an affair it would have been with �B�). I could tell she was lying because her lips were moving.

Now here�s the good part:
I then put on some puppy-dog eyes and asked �Do you think I�ll ever trust anyone again?�

Wayward Wife answer for the ages:
�yes, but you are going to have to do something that you�re really happy about first.�
dontknow
In other words, my distrust isn�t about her betraying me, it�s about my own personal discontent with myself. Something inside of me that I need to discover.

The ULTIMATE blame shift.
gmab.

opt

Another EA Story
L
L
. . . I could tell she was lying because her lips were moving. . . .
rotflmao rotflmao

Glad to see you still have a sense of humor, my friend!

I still find your sitch hard to believe. Like out of the Twilight Zone. How can a human being exhibit such outwardly wayward behavior for so long? She obviously is resigned to the Big D, but I doubt highly if she understands all of the ramifications.

How are you coping these days?

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
How are you coping these days?
easy linus, I'm taking my wife's advice and trying to "do something that I'm really happy about."

Just kidding. Some days are better than others. I like that the household is peaceful - it's very important to me that the kids don't experience more stress and strain than necessary. My roommate and I are doing a good job protecting them.

How about you?

Another EA Story
N
N
(�he was just a friend, if I was going to have an affair it would have been with �B�).
skeptical.....Now THERE'S some good gaslighting fogganese.......Heck Opt, she is so trustworthy and honorable, I'm not sure WHY you are pursueing a D......Hey, at least you know who your enemy is (and it AIN'T guy B).... MrRollieEyes

Originally Posted by Opt
Wayward Wife answer for the ages:
�yes, but you are going to have to do something that you�re really happy about first.�

doh2........OKAY, I have been on these boards for 2 yrs and 3 months. I have seen countless affair situations, heard NUMEROUS foggbabble, not to mention I walked through my OWH H's affair and his rendition of fogganese, blame-shifting, and bull-chit. So one would think I have a pretty good grasp of these things......BUT Opt, I gotta tell ya..... I have NO FREAKING clue what the heck that statement MEANS!!!!.... Honestly, I am dumbfounded..... doh2....Me thinks your WW has taken one too many hits of the affair-pipe..... grin

Anyway, take a look at the "Typical WW" thread. Your wife seems to fit the Non-typical variety list (especially #5......"Follow your heart" is her moral compass in life...).

I would honestly stop having these kinds of conversations with her....her "condition" might be contagious......

Not2fun

ps....in all serious, I'm glad to hear you doing well all things considered .... grin

L
L
Still taking it one day at at time. Some are better than others. When I look at 'the big picture', I feel fortunate, but there are times when I still feel like I'm doing most of the R work and FWW is along for the ride, and that bothers me. There are other times when I can see major changes in her behavior that give me hope. We are definitely in a better place than we were 6 months ago (D-Day) and a year ago when we were very far apart.

I really wish we could get to the point where we were both trying to follow MB principles, but she's not interested at this point. We are still seeing our MC, who's very good, and that has helped a lot.

Like you, things are very calm in the home, and that's been very good for the kids. When she was active in the EA, things were miserable around here and that had a bad affect on them. They can see that we're getting along very well these days, and they are also happier.

The main reason for the calmness is that I have finally gotten good at avoiding LBs. Makes a huge difference!

BUT, and isn't there always a but, I know that we're still not back 100% and we may never be. You see, I don't want to get back to where we were - that wasn't good enough for either of us. Lot's of ENs not being met on both sides. I want to feel like we're working on our marriage all the time, not just 'getting along'. It's kind of like being an athlete - you need to constantly work at your game, whether it's basketball, golf, tennis, baseball or whatever, in order to stay competitive. If you just try to get a long on your natural abilities, you fall behind. I think it's the same in marriage. My frustration now is that I don't see her having that same commitment to getting better and to be the best we can be (sounds like an Army commercial!) She seems to be content that we're getting along. Maybe it's still early - only about 3 months into R.

Didn't mean to thread-jack, my friend - glad you asked, though!
hug

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

Tony Robbins
W
W
Australia!? You have got to be kidding! You, me, and SOL all have WW going after Australians?

There seems to be some type of sterotype forming here. Next you know I will be joining an anti-Australian group.

L
L
What is it with these Aussies going after married American women???? Is there something wrong with Aussie women? Maybe there's something in Fosters . . .

edit PS - just havin' a little fun here grin

Last edited by Linus; 03/17/10 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot smiley!

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

Tony Robbins
Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation