Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 27 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 26 27
C
OP Offline
C
Melody,

I don't to ignore anyone or report anyone to the mods. I wouldn't want to miss a helpful comment - even ones which I disagree with or ones which are hard to read.

You probably missed this:

ETA:

For anyone who does not support my decision to go into IC, your comments are noted:
Once again your points are:
-dwelling on the past is not a way to manage the future
-you feel IC is a waste of time or it could cause more damage because most IC professionals focus on feelings rather than behavior

I got it.

Now I would appreciate it if you would stop this, because as I said earlier - I am going to try IC and I am going to be very specific about my goals and my desire to focus on behavior and the future rather than do an extensive autopsy of the past.

At this point what I am asking for in this thread is for people to provide support and help me if they can.

I will also probably share my experiences with IC when I start it next week. Your continued support (if you are able) will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

You definitely threadjacked and made this about something else when I asked for help with something very specific. What I don't get is why you are behaving this way towards me.

C
OP Offline
C
Thinking,

Thanks for sharing the emailed thoughts of the day your received.

I think you're right about coincidences.

M
M
Originally Posted by ChrisInNOVA
You definitely threadjacked and made this about something else when I asked for help with something very specific. What I don't get is why you are behaving this way towards me.

Chris, no one has threadjacked your thread. But I will gladly take my leave.

Take care! smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Melody.

T
T
Thinking,

Thanks for sharing the emailed thoughts of the day your received.

I think you're right about coincidences.

Weird, isn't it?

It sounds like you have set a course of action for yourself. Good for you. Finding an IC is on my list this week too. (Not for marriage issues, more for other personal issues that could totally sabatoge the marriage if I don't get a handle on them. I'll probably share on my thread later this week.)

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
I fully support Chris and her choice to see an IC. It's in response to her H's thoughtful request.

Chris is dealing with adult trauma she sustained prior to just four years ago.

And Mark and others have great threads, Chris, on how to retrain your brain to NOT trigger. Many different ways...none of which is the shut down/shut out method you've attempted.

LA,

I saw those and read them several times. After doing that I knew I needed professional help. That's the truth.
BTW - I mentioned this before but it's worth sating again - My decision to participate in IC is not really based on a thoughtful request from my DH. I am doing it for me. I need and want peace. It's really that simple. I hope that doesn't change your support of my decision.

They are aware, loving actions you can take, laced in acceptance of the past without being a prisoner of it. Many suggestions have been made on MB in the Surviving An Affair forum over the years how to do this. One can work for you, with your IC. I know you'll dig and find them...because infidelity is like physical abuse...humans trigger...not all bad or all good...we just do. Overcoming the ones that sink our present into the past is always a wise choice.

You can do this. I've said before how important I believe this is for your marriage. You're half of the counseling experience...you have equal power in that context...and I believe you'll use it with awareness and really ask for what you want most.

At first I tended not to read the SAA threads, but I have begun to see many similarities as you said.

As always, thanks for your comments. They are always a learning experience for me. smile

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by thinkinitthru66
Weird, isn't it?

It sounds like you have set a course of action for yourself. Good for you. Finding an IC is on my list this week too. (Not for marriage issues, more for other personal issues that could totally sabatoge the marriage if I don't get a handle on them. I'll probably share on my thread later this week.)

Sounds like we are on a similar journey as far as that is concerned. I feel that me addressing my personal / internal issues will make it easier for me to use MB to work on my marriage... but what I am really expecting to see is an improvement in all areas of my life.

I'll be looking for your thread. Please be on the look out for mine if you can.

T
T
It would help if you just have one thread and keep posting your various issues in one place. I can keep up because I'm on alot, but at some point, when you are vet and your marriage is in recovery and people want to see how you got from point A to point B, having it all in one place will be a great gift!

(Hows that for encouragement?)

I think it's hard to stick with one thread too. And I kinda like the "topical" type threads as opposed to airing my dirty laundry like a weird public journal. But I guess I will get used to it! I just hope none of this gets published when I run for president! LOL

C
OP Offline
C
That's a little tough for a few reasons...I tend to think of things and experience things in a compartmentalized fashion and I have very specific questions about the MB program.

For example, my very first thread was me dealing with the initial shock of first being told that my spouse was planning a divorce. I've moved on from that.

In this thread I had a mini mental melt down down as my Taker rose up.

There's another thread I started because I had questions about Dishonesty as described in the Love Busters book. I wanted to know about other people's experiences, whether it was a common difficulty (turns out it is smile ), and I hoped folks would share their methods for dealing with it. I feel that as I learn more, I'll have more specific "how to" questions...

The thread about my IC will be a separate "issue".

I really don't know how to tie this al together into one thread.

T
T
I'm just like that. And I never linked it with the compartmentalization before, but that's very telling. I have been makeing huge efforts to NOT compartmentalize so much, because I recognize that it's on way that I avoid accountability. I'm "Nice Girl A" at church, "Nice Girl B" with my family of origin, "Sometimes Nice, Sometimes Wicked Girl C" with my husband, "Nice Girl D" with my friends. I dreaded my wedding day because all my compartmentalized worlds were going to collide! The world did not end though, and it was really neat to have all my worlds in one place. For that day, I was "Radiant Girl E" to everyone.

I've always had a hard time with the single thread etiquette here though, for exactly the same reason. I have specific questions about specific topics. Except I kept getting the same darn answer "Use ALL of the MB program." GRRRR That is so annoying Mark and ML!!!!! But I do love you guys! So I started my own thread.

C
OP Offline
C
I totally understand laugh

C
OP Offline
C
OK everyone PLEASE...Tell me if this is "normal":

I am still doing MB with my spouse but I feel like I'm losing steam. Specifically, I am avoiding LBs but I today I seem to have grown weary with attempting to meet ENs. A friend of mine pointed out today that I appeared upset and agitated the last time she saw me and she asked about the situation (she knows about all of this) and today she said I looked detached and indifferent when she asked.

I asked her to describe life as a divorcee and the more she shared the more and more interested I became...I even tried picturing myself like that. Starting over with someone new and non-violent / non-angry. Falling in love again, but making sure I choose a man who was different and who was willing to use MB practices. I became curious & I asked her to tell me more about dating. When she saw what I was doing, she stopped the conversation. COLD. She said she did that because she is aware that I was trying to save my marriage.

So, I thought I would try a little...test. I stood really close to my husband as he was leaving for class just now...just to see if I would FEEL anything.

I FELT NOTHING. All I could think about is how wide he looks. Why did my mind go there?

Someone please tell me - What exactly is happening to me?

The other day after our most recent "Big Talk", I thought I was starting to feel something but just now - nothing nada...ziltch - except for maybe...a little disgust. I am also more at peace today because I did not commute with him and he has class tonight so he is gone. That makes me feel more peaceful, than if he were downstairs reading his school books or watching TV.

GAH!

Please tell me - is this a normal result of being in a non-infidelity Plan A for too long? Is this a sign I need to stop my Plan A, and intiate Plan B - ask him to move out and not to contact me again unless it's to set up Marriage Coaching with Dr. H? OR Is this day to day variation in energy & enthusiasm "normal"?

T
T
I personally don't think you are giving it enough time.

I also think you have a very good friend.

C
OP Offline
C
LOL!

I understand, and she is a good friend. But I am fearful because of these feelings of disgust. What do I do about them?
Will my MB behavior create good feelings for me although I am doing lots of giving? Mel said the danger is in the resentment fo giving and giving for too long. God knows - I had that problem already.

M
M
Your feelings are the result of an empty Love Bank.

Might even be a bit on the overdrawn side.

Mark

PS No, this is not my shortest post ever. doh2

M
M
Originally Posted by Mark1952

Mark

OK, WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MARK??? skeptical

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
Mel said the danger is in the resentment of giving and giving for too long. God knows - I had that problem already.

Watch out, here comes a mild 2x4.

It sounds like you are using MelodyLane's statement as a justification for your feelings of "disgust."

You have latched onto the same thing I want to latch onto . . . .that time frame. I want to know that I only have to be a giving wife for X days without reciprocation before I can justify not trying anymore. It doesn't work that way, because a justification is just a lie that I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

You don't have to justify your feelings. You can't control them, they are what they are. If they are positive feelings, you can celebrate and enjoy them. If they are negative feelings, you can choose to feed them until they consum you, or you can choose to wait them out while taking care of yourself.

Here's what I think about resentment. It's not about giving and giving without reciprocity. Resentment is the direct result of my expectation of another person's behavior. And I can't control another person's behavior, no matter what I give or withold. They choose, not me. So why in the heck would I have an expectation of someone whom I can't control anyway? It makes no sense.

The solution to resentment is to stop having expectations of other people. I replace my expectations with personal boundaries and consequences.

T
T

Mark

Wow. I'm speechless.

T
T
Here's another quick thing to think about, LA-style.

What I dislike about another person, what causes me disgust, is in me too. So I use my negative feelings about another person to jumpstart my introspection about that facet of my own personality. I try to see it, recognize, make friends with it, see its motives, etc. I try to have compassion for that part of myself that I want to deny, and as I do this, I begin to have compassion for that which I see in the other person, instead of disgust.

C
OP Offline
C

Mark

Mark? Is that you?!

laugh

OK - so what can I do to fight it off. Look @ old pics of him / us together? Fanatsize about him @ nite (we're still not co-sleeping)? What?

Page 11 of 27 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (doseedo, 1 invisible), 533 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation