Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37
C
C
How realistic is it to try and get 15 hours of UA with a spouse who is not on board with the MB Program?

Those of us doing the MB program understand why it's important, but for anyone else - it sounds like smothering.

T
OP Offline
T
I guess the 15 hours should be my line in the sand. (My husband does not want a divorce, Chris, which makes it a little different than you.)

At some point, I throw down that gauntlet. "We need to be spending more time together and we both need to make that our top priority right now. If we can't do that, I don't see how we can have a relationship that is satisfying for either one of us. We both need to commit to 15 hours a week focused on sex, conversation, and recreation, we need to plan it out each week and follow through. If that doesn't improve things, we'll reevaluate, but I'm not going to continue to be married to a man who is unwilling to at least try that for a month and see what happens."

How does that sound?

C
C
Originally Posted by Mark1952
Dr Harley does talk about an all out attempt to bring a spouse back from Withdrawal, but he doesn't call it Plan A in the section where he talks about it.

Mark

But isn't it essentailly the same?

(As described here)

when we talk about Plan A being 3 to 6 weeks long for women or as long as 6 months for men, we are really talking about a situation where you are not just putting your Taker on hold but also taking huge daily hits against your Love Bank and the stress of holding your tongue, walking on eggshells, and constantly being hurt on purpose by the person you are trying to show your best to can cause so many emotional and health related problems that it is very hard to do even for a few days.

You're darned right - No wonder I was a wreck the first 2 weeks.

So what's the answer?

Here's Dr. Harley on Plan A:

Plan A is for the betrayed spouse to negotiate with the wayward spouse to totally separate from the lover without angry outbursts, disrespect, and demands.

Here's Dr. Harley on Withdrawl

If you set a good example by meeting your spouse's needs first, alas, that usually means that your own needs are met last. Your Taker is not pleased with this arrangement, and may try to sabotage it. You will need to make a deliberate and patient effort to override the Taker's instinct to retreat back to fighting and name-calling. But if you resist that instinct to argue, and instead focus attention on behaving thoughtfully and meeting your spouse's needs, your spouse will be encouraged to reciprocate.

So Plan A looks very much like "Coaxing a spouse out of Withdrawl" with the exception that in Plan A, there is a thoughtful request for the WS to cease all contact with the OW / OM...Seems like with both situations, the spouse who is working MB is doing it without the other spouse and is going to have a tough time of it because they'll be doing all the heavy lifting in the beginning...but how long is too long?

This question is of particular interest to me as well. Here's another -

Catch 22 - We're told if we work MB properly, our spouse will come out of Withdrawl....we're also told that without the 15 hours (minimum) of UA, we're not working the MB Program properly. At the same time, it's unlikely that you'll get 15 hours UA with a spouse in Withdrawl or a reluctant spouse. So...what's the answer here?

Last edited by ChrisInNOVA; 03/24/10 10:03 AM.
C
C
Originally Posted by thinkinitthru66
I guess the 15 hours should be my line in the sand. (My husband does not want a divorce, Chris, which makes it a little different than you.)

Yes.

At some point, I throw down that gauntlet. "We need to be spending more time together and we both need to make that our top priority right now. If we can't do that, I don't see how we can have a relationship that is satisfying for either one of us. We both need to commit to 15 hours a week focused on sex, conversation, and recreation, we need to plan it out each week and follow through. If that doesn't improve things, we'll reevaluate, but I'm not going to continue to be married to a man who is unwilling to at least try that for a month and see what happens."

How does that sound?

Waiting eagerly to see what the vets say.

M
M
Mark is right that Dr Harley has never called it "Plan A" in his books and writings. Until very recently, you would never see him use that term except in the case of adultery. In a recent newsletter, however, he did actually call it Plan A for the first time. [that I know of]

He used it in a unique way to counsel a woman whose husband refused to meet her needs:

But if your husband refuses to accept your offer, the next step I recommend is very controversial, but when you compare it to the alternatives, it makes the most sense. It has two parts. I call one part plan A, and the other plan B. These two parts are to be executed sequentially�plan A is first, followed by plan B.

Plan A is to give your husband �unconditional love� for a brief period of time, usually a month.
I know. I�ve just written two columns that warn against unconditional love. But I�ve never been opposed to its use if it�s intended to prime the pump. One spouse can�t save a marriage, but one spouse can often set an example that the other spouse will sometimes follow. Plan A is to avoid all Love Busters, and to meet the other spouse�s emotional needs without expecting anything in return immediately. But it also involves communicating the importance of reciprocity. Along with being an angel, you also explain that you expect your needs to eventually be met, too.

But before you begin plan A, prepare for plan B, which is to completely separate from your husband. You can�t simply move out of the bedroom. You must move from the house, or have him move. If you live in a state that supports legal separation, go to the trouble to see an attorney so that all financial and legal arrangements are made in advance. Be sure that you can support yourself for an extended period of time, such as a year.
When to Call it Quits

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
That's where I saw it!

Thanks Mel.

Some parts of "When to Call it Quits" is a scary read because it's the truth.

M
M
A month? Really? I don't think a month of being the perfect spouse would be enough to convince my husband that it's "real."

TTT, generally speaking if they don't get it in a month, they will probably never get it. The problem with doing a long term Plan A is that it often leads to one spouse developing enormous resentment and an erosion of love for the other spouse. Once the feelings grow to hate, they are very hard to turn around. Plan A is a state of sacrifice, which is extreme GIVING. And extreme giving leads to resentment and extreme taking.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I found a lot of telling statements in "When to Call it Quits," part 3:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8111_quit3.html

And before any separation, I make sure that they have been doing a good job meeting their wife's emotional needs and avoiding Love Busters.

I would never want to try separation without the best experts in the world looking at me to see if I've truly been avoiding love busters and meeting emotional needs. I came here thinking I was doing this and discovered I was not.

Also:
I'm not opposed to a separation when a spouse refuses to meet intimate emotional needs, but there are dangers that should not be ignored. Infidelity is one of them. An important cause of a wife's refusal to have sex can be an affair that has not been revealed to the husband. A separation simply makes the affair more convenient.

Even if an affair is not ongoing, a separation can lead to one. One of my cardinal rules to prevent an affair is to avoid being separated overnight. A deliberate separation increases the risk of an affair, and can turn a difficult marriage into a disaster.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
Good point about separation Markos.

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I would never want to try separation without the best experts in the world looking at me to see if I've truly been avoiding love busters and meeting emotional needs. I came here thinking I was doing this and discovered I was not.

I think this is a good point, but I don't believe an expert is required for everyone, although it would be a good idea! Most just get it by reading the book Lovebusters. There really is no such thing as a perfect plan A.

On second thought, Markos, I think you have a good point. Not everyone is as slow as me, but in my case, I was still engaging in INDEPENDENT BEHAVIOR even after 5 years!

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T
Wow, thanks for digging that stuff up. Especially the part form the newsletter. I know I've read that before, but I don't remember reading the part about preparing for plan B before beginning plan A.

I have been feeling guilty (though not remorseful) about wanting to see a lawyer when at the same time I feel I should be putting my energy into "saving" the marriage. So I've been in a state of mostly inaction either way. I thought this would be like having one foot out the door. I guess I should have read my own posts about that a week ago!

So I think I am becoming a lot more motivated today to stop the inaction. I may even see about calling SH. Not quite there yet, but seriously considering it now instead of dismissing.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I think this is a good point, but I don't believe an expert is required for everyone, although it would be a good idea! Most just get it by reading the book Lovebusters. There really is no such thing as a perfect plan A.

On second thought, Markos, I think you have a good point. Not everyone is as slow as me, but in my case, I was still engaging in INDEPENDENT BEHAVIOR even after 5 years!

My alanon sponsor has been GREAT at calling me on the carpet about that sort of thing. I also have another program "friend" who is known for her 2x4's and which I have experienced one. She scares me to death, but she is the one I will go to when I need to make a decision.

T
OP Offline
T
I hear you on the Catch 22 about UA time, Chris. I think the important thing for me to do is SCHEDULE IT ANYWAY. If my husband refuses to participate, then so be it. Then it's his choice and none of the blame can fall on me. CYA. Not the BEST motivation in the world, but it's what I've got right now, and it's real.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I would never know if I was slow or not if other people hadn't enlightened me.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
C
I hear you on the Catch 22 about UA time, Chris. I think the important thing for me to do is SCHEDULE IT ANYWAY. If my husband refuses to participate, then so be it. Then it's his choice and none of the blame can fall on me. CYA. Not the BEST motivation in the world, but it's what I've got right now, and it's real.

What does that look like?

I mean - give me an example. You make reservations for 2 at a restaurant and you show up even if he doesn't...

T
OP Offline
T
Chris, I haven't done this yet, so it's just theory.

Ideally I will ask my husband to participate in the scheduling so that we can POJA. We already have a list of "approved activities" that we negotiated several weeks ago, so if he won't participate, I can use that.

On Sunday afternoon we will sit down with the calendar and literally schedule in our one-on-one time. While I'm at it, I should probably do the same for my kids, too. I don't get much 1on1 with them either, especially the middle child.

My husband eats lunch out. I can easily plan to join him at least once a week, maybe more.

We have family in town who can help with babysitting, so I'm sure we can schedule a regular "date" on a weekend day for several hours on most weekends.

Going out during the week will be tough, but we can at least plan and hour or two each night to talk or play a card game.

Sex is a challenge, and I'm resistant to scheduling it. I won't engage in anything when I'm fertile, because we have already had two birth control failures, and pills are not an option. But when I feel safe from pregnancy, and can be truly willing, I will also do that. I have a major aversion to sex with my husband, but I am pushing through it as best I can right now. Yes, I've read Harley's article on it, and clearly Harley himself has never had a sexual aversion because his "solution" is very simplistic. I know that when my husband starts meeting my emotional needs and I am in love with him, I will no longer have the aversion. Perhaps that is the "carrot" that will motivate him, although my husband has said that if I have to "work" to feel "in love" then it's not real. I understand. I've thought that before too. I see differently now.

So that's the plan. There's only a few hours in my week that are open for UA time. So scheduling won't be hard. It's sticking to it that will be hard.

So when it comes to sticking to it, I will review my schedule each morning and make a commitment to it each morning. I will remind DH about the planned activity. I will motivate myself to look forward to the UA time each day, to anticipate and get excited. If he's in a bad mood or something else prevents him from participating in UA time, I will not take it personally, and I will have a backup plan, like a phone call or going to an alanon meeting, so that I don't focus on him and being let down.

M
M
Have you looked over the link to Mark1952's post that I linked to here: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=159534&Number=2341836#Post2341836 ?

Mark's story has a great gentleness about it that I think is important. If you make too many choices of the form "He/she won't discuss this with me (again), so I'll do it without him," I think it's risky. Mark appears to have just guessed on his own what would be a good way to start gradually meeting his wife's emotional needs, and meeting them.

In my case, I knew a couple of things about meeting my wife's needs and did similarly. There were days it appeared to have absolutely no effect at all, days I wanted to run screaming off the minute I came home because I was trying to show love for her and she was rejecting it, in withdrawal. But if you keep making those opportunities, eventually it can have an effect.

I tried a different approach many times: "You said this is what you wanted, so I'm going to keep doing it until you talk to me." "You won't talk to me, so I'll go off and do my own thing." It was pretty much nothing but a love bank withdrawal.

Last edited by markos; 03/24/10 02:20 PM.

M
M
Also, since that thread seems to be abandoned, let me just bring my whole post over here. I think in particular it's important to recognize that withdrawal is not a conscious choice:

I would love to hear thoughts from others on this topic, because if there's no affair, then how is one supposed to get their spouse out of withdrawl?

You meet as many needs as you can, and eliminate as many love busters as you can. You get a good coach, or coaches, to look over what you are doing and help you find the love busters you are missing and the emotional needs you could be meeting. You constantly study your spouse and adjust and even experiment until you can increase the rate of love bank deposits.

I find Mark1952's story inspiring. His wife was in withdrawal, head over heels in love with another man, and he started making love bank deposits. It was slow going at first, but it worked. Here's where I copied his story: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=159447&Number=2340626#Post2340626

Yes, that was an adultery situation, but what he describes there is exactly what you have to do for a spouse in withdrawal when no adultery has occurred.

In withdrawl, there's not addictive relationship keeping the spouse in withdrawl, it's willful, conscious choice!

This is not true. Withdrawal is a feeling, not a decision. It's triggered in certain people when the love bank balance falls to a certain point. Some people go into it more easily than others. It is very disastrous since now it is difficult to make love bank deposits and impossible to get first hand information about emotional needs and love busters. But it's a defensive mechanism many people have to protect them from love busters. Love busters are literally more painful and damaging when they come from someone you are intimate with. Withdrawal makes the love busters less hurtful because you are no longer opening yourself up to feel intimacy.

You can't just decide to not be in withdrawal.
[b][/b]

C
C
Markos, this is an excellent point: Going ahead with the planned UA when the spouse isn't doing it may be a LB.

I need to figure out how to get UA in with my spouse, but it isn't going to be easy. He has a habit of going down to the basement and watching TV down there or going on his computer as soon as we get home. Sometimes I'll go down there and sit with him but, at times, he's working on homework or he needs "alone time." (I noticed an uptick in this "alone time" need after he came back from Iraq.

Truthfully, since I have been doing MB, I have seen improvements in the way we are spaeking to each other. Also, he will come up and interact with me for a little while. He has been calling me at work more at this point too. There are noticeable differences.

Baby Steps which lead to bigger steps - like what Mark did is probably what I need to do as far as trying to get UA in (at least until he is on board with MB). I Need to get creative and brain storm. This is challenging while I am on crutches & in an air boot though frown Just a few more weeks...

I am sincerely hoping we'll be in the May MB Weekend.

M
M
Another point: if your spouse isn't willing to schedule 15 hours UA time with you, spend whatever time you can with your spouse meeting their intimate emotional needs, even if that is less than 15 hours. If they aren't willing to turn off the television, watch television with them, and provide affection and a bit conversation while you do it. Fix a snack if they like that sort of thing. Offer a small gift if they like that. Just take care of them.

Make the time spent with you pleasant. Make it the most pleasant time they have all week. (Got that from Mark. It's not a direct quote, but it's pretty much what he was saying. He eventually made the time spent with him so pleasant for his wife and valuable to her that she dumped the man she was committing adultery with!) Resist any idea that might potentially make the time you are trying to spend with your spouse less pleasant.

Always make it a thoughtful request. "Can I watch TV with you?" "How would you feel if we went for a walk?" (Some requests don't need words. Make it a request by being willing to not respond with selfish demands, disrespectful judgments, or angry outbursts if your offer is declined. For example, if you prepare a snack and your spouse doesn't eat it, don't fall to pieces over it. You lost a chance to deposit love units, and that's sad, but keep the bigger picture in focus. There will be another opportunity.)

Page 4 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation