Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
N
N
Infidelity/adultery is a human being issue, not a nationality issue. There have been many betrayed Aussie's on these boards.

Keep your focus on your WW's....therein lies the problem

Last edited by not2fun; 03/17/10 12:21 PM.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by not2fun
Infidelity/adultery is a human being issue, not a nationality issue. There have been many betrayed Aussie's on these boards.

Keep your focus on your WW's....therein lies the problem

Aww, just havin' a little fun NotTooFun. I started it by pointing out the suspected relationship my ww might have developed during the cruise. I don't know if I ever mentioned it but the first clue was a couple of pictures FIL took of ww and the Aussie in a fairly close embrace. I suppose it could have been anything, but I also saw the look on ww's face... - thanks Dad for the Kodak moment.

Thanks for your reposnse above also N2F, I always look froward to hearing from you. I'm also checking out that thread you mentioned.

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
L
L
My post was meant in jest. Guess I should have added a smiley or two MrRollieEyes

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
Anyway, take a look at the "Typical WW" thread. Your wife seems to fit the Non-typical variety list (especially #5......"Follow your heart" is her moral compass in life...).
I saw some of it. I think she has a few more as well.
--Also interested to measure my own waywardness up against the list. Been thinking about that a lot today.

I would honestly stop having these kinds of conversations with her....her "condition" might be contagious....
I "gown up" before I have a conversation with her. She wonders why I am covered in yellow disposable fabric, mask, and gloves. I just tell her "don't worry dear, it's for your protection."

opt

Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Another EA Story
N
N
Originally Posted by optimism
--Also interested to measure my own waywardness up against the list. Been thinking about that a lot today.

So, what did you come up with?..... Remember that list is for WWIVES, not the H's. There was talk of doing one concerning WH's but it never did happen.....but what exactly are you thinking about your OWN wayward behavior?

I "gown up" before I have a conversation with her.

Ohhhhhh, is it a Vera Wang model????.... flirt

Not2fun

N
N
Originally Posted by Linus
My post was meant in jest. Guess I should have added a smiley or two MrRollieEyes

my post was not meant for you or Opt, but for newbies reading along that are still mired in the beginning mess. Trying to keep their focus where it should be.....

But I understood the joking.... wink

O
OP Offline
O
my post was not meant for you or Opt, but for newbies reading along that are still mired in the beginning mess. Trying to keep their focus where it should be.....
No, we get it N2F. I have injected my share of humor into my thread, mostly b/c it's who I am and it feels good to be getting some of my old personality back (hopefully just the good parts of it).
HOWEVER, I do remember going through threads as a newby and not being in any sort of mood for jokes.

I'd be honored if someone was able to learn from my experience. Hopefully they'll read the whole thread to see someone grow from total bewilderment to some degree of acceptance through intensive learning and seeking difficult answers.

opt

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
So, what did you come up with?..... Remember that list is for WWIVES, not the H's. There was talk of doing one concerning WH's but it never did happen.....but what exactly are you thinking about your OWN wayward behavior?

I can�t get through that whole thread, but I found KiwiJ�s post most interesting and relevant.
My situation reflected by ** below.
**this is a painful and embarrassing exercise...

[This is from an ANCIENT thread which I was on. (Do you know how totally weird it is going back to first posts? I don't even recognise that person - me) It describes an OM, so I guess it also describes the WH. I found it very true when I first read it. It seems to fit here.]

"What the OM wants:

-They want the A to stay w/in bounds
**Had my limits to keep it safe from getting caught

-They thrive on the diversion, the excitement of the illicit, forbidden sex. the variety.
**I was having needs met that wife was not meeting (due to various reasons). I didn't like the secrecy part- probalby 1 reason why I never pursued any more A's.

-Some get relief from home. May be having M issues. May have a W that ignores him for kids, work, etc.
**(as above)

-Able to reveal themselves emotionally.
**not me.

- Doesn't want the R to get serious!!
**absolutely. In it for one thing (which, strangely, was not my character, I might add)

-He may say "I love you" but he still isn't committing to anything
**no commitment on my part

-Men regard an A as an addition to marriage not as possible replacement
**yup

-Most men let the married women know about the restrictions of the R. "I'd never divorce my wife because of the kids." That is the number 1 excuse the OM uses
**when I told my Affair Partner (who in retrospect was trying to bust up my M) I had no intention of leaving my wife, the whole thing cooled off and died out a short time later � 9/11 also had an affect on the affair.

-The woman's emotional investment flatters the OM but causes discomfort
**I was always nervous she�d reveal the sitch, but fortunately she was my SUPERVISOR, so I had that over her head.

- Married women are unlikely to end the undiscovered A. It's usually the OM."
**Ending was mutual and helped by OW moving out of town.

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
. I want to feel like we're working on our marriage all the time, not just 'getting along'. It's kind of like being an athlete - you need to constantly work at your game, whether it's basketball, golf, tennis, baseball or whatever, in order to stay competitive. If you just try to get a long on your natural abilities, you fall behind. I think it's the same in marriage. My frustration now is that I don't see her having that same commitment to getting better and to be the best we can be (sounds like an Army commercial!) She seems to be content that we're getting along. Maybe it's still early - only about 3 months into R.
I do a lot of baseball umpiring (Little League, I�m no pro). One of my favorite mottos I�ve heard from being around these guys is �you�re either getting better, or you�re getting worse.�

Also, I remember reading MB 101 for a while when I was learning about the site. It seems that a lot of folks there will come in (not affair driven) with motivation to improve their marriage but their mate is NOT getting on board with strict MB principles. Frustrating. Point is: those willing spouses were advised (if I remember right) to live the principles and basically lead by example.
I�m probably not saying it right, but you�re not alone in your quest. I guess the advice is: apply the principles to yourself and good things will happen. Have you tried presenting her with one idea at a time? Like explaining the POJA and asking her to try it with you for a while�maybe she'd be more receptive if it was spoon fed in small managable bites.
[Edit to add: sorry Linus, I just caught up with your "6 months" thread and it looks like youre already doing the poja. nice work]

[Linus, I totally don�t mind you hijacking, you�re welcome to my abode anytime. However, I might ask the mods to move this and your post to your thread because I think it would be helpful there � you�ve hit on some good ideas and they could be built upon in the context of your story]

opt

Last edited by optimism; 03/17/10 10:35 PM. Reason: add orange text
O
OP Offline
O
.....but what exactly are you thinking about your OWN wayward behavior?
I justified it in so many ways. My wife has some sexual dysfunction based on a terrible incident from when she was a teen that never was addressed. What I really regret right now, is that if I had handled that better, with compassion and understanding, love and care, I might have been able to help her through that and then who knows where we'd be today. Instead I gave up on her. So now she'll carry that into the next phase of her life, maybe forever.

I also was of the seriously disillusioned and ignorant mindset that an affair could be carried out and not cause any harm as long as it wasn�t discovered. Since it was a supplement to my M, I thought it helped us. (I so want to puke even saying it).
In fact, I remember telling my adultery partner, once we decided to end it, that the experience had actually made my M better. [a real Casanova am I�]
Affair partner was willing to do things wife was not, I could please her in ways my wife wasn�t interested in. This strengthened my sense of entitlement. What I should have done was work within the M to build the trust with my wife and increase her comfort with me. We never had good communication when it came to SF.

I could probably go on but I'm making myself sick.

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
[ww's answer to "will I ever be able to trust anyone again]
Originally Posted By: OptWayward Wife answer for the ages:
�yes, but you are going to have to do something that you�re really happy about first.�
Okay, I got some clarification on this last night. (I don't know why I do this). The next permeutation was
"you need to feel good about yourself. And you'll have to feel very confident in your own ability to forgive."
--and that, folks, is a ww's interpretation on what it takes for a man to be able to trust someone after they've been through Dday. ...sounds a lot like "follow your heart."

opt

Another EA Story
T
T
Hi Optimism,
I am going to sign off this site now. I've posted just a little bit ago that C and I did reconcile, and it relieved a lot of my pain.

I just wanted to thank you for your support. Alsothat you have my support and prayers in your situation.

I know that this is anethema on most sites, and I realize that being in an online AA site now for several years, but I feel you are someone worth knowing, and if you ever did want to contact me my email is: tr4551@att.net

In meantime thank you and you will have my prayers.

Rom

O
OP Offline
O
Why, thank you, Rom; you're entirely too kind.

Not2Fun, if you're still checking in, I think you're right about I need to stop having "these conversations" with my ww. Not because some of her logic might "rub off" on me - I can assure you there is no worry about that. smile

Another big discussion this morning has me convinced beyond any doubt that I can no longer be around this woman. She is lost. Morally drifting at sea. It's rather sad. I really feel the only thing I can do for her is pray for her.

I am concerned that this woman will be bringing up my children up to 50% of the time. This strengthens my resolve to provide for them the best possible example of Integrity and True North Principles that I can. MB has shown me a new path; onward I march; I hope my children follow my footsteps and not someone else's.

Soon I'll let this thread fade and start a new one in Divorce board. Ww's financing went through (with help from Bank Daddy), she moves out in 11 days (not that I'm counting...)

Optimism

Another EA Story
L
L
Opt - you will be starting a new journey soon - a new life. A better life for you and the kids. I'll follow your new thread and offer all of the support I can. It's going to be rough.

Your WW has no idea what she's losing.

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Linus as always.
It's good to know there are folks out there that are concerned and supportive and helpful.

It's going to be rough.
I've always had the utmost respect for the single parent. I marvel at my sister, divorced 10 years with 2 kids. Parenting is so much work I literally don't know how people do it.

Last night I had some alone time and was reflecting on the fact that last time I was single was such a long time ago [wow, I don't think I've ever used the word "time" three times in one sentence before]. I was very bad at it, missed a lot of opportunities; drank way too much and didn't get out enough.
This time will be different.

You know I'll be checking in on your situation too friend

Opt

Another EA Story
S
S
Opt- I think we need to get you a thesaurus hehehehehehe.

I too have marveled at single parents and how hard it is and now I get to find out for myself. YEA ME(sarcasm).

Hang in there Opt.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
L
L
Hey opt - I just noticed/realized that you're in MA. I grew up in New England, and lived there (MA, CT, RI) for many, many years.

Go Sawx smile

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
Hey Linus,
I moved out here for college and never moved back to Michigan where I grew up.

WW is in the process of packing up her stuff. Wednesday she closes and moves out, we've agreed to go halfs on the moving company.

Not second guessing, but....mixed emotions. I've spent a lot of my life with this woman.

~opt

L
L
I'm sorry opt - it's got to hurt. Hard to believe how these things evolve. It's amazing to me that the distance from 'He's just a friend' to her moving out is so short. Like Limbo's WW, she will experience a fall. The 'magic dust' is going to go away, and she's going to realize what she's lost. Sad.

Let us know how it goes the next few days. I'll be thinking about you, my friend. Knock down a couple of root bears - it will help.

D final 03/12

Jay Severin

Tony Robbins
O
OP Offline
O
Linus,
thanks friend.
The ckickens are already coming home to roost. I'm being cordial, but when I walk away I recite my new chant in my head "NOT my Problem." --it's only my problem when it becomes my kids' problem, then we deal.

anyway, thanks for checking in. i'm over on Divorce board now
"Another D Story."
A post stays up at the top there for 3 days, lol.

Cheers.
opt

Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 708 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation