Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 42 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 41 42
M
M
Are you saying I am nuts and its clear to everyone but meeee!!
Of course I would never say that...

But since you mention it...

[Linked Image from cool-smileys.com]

P
P
Common mental and emotional symptoms of hypothyroidism can include:

Originally Posted by SisterReed
I exhibit above symtoms, the thyroid on right side is larger (not cancer had it checked) yet blood test always come up negative for hyperthroidism. Sometimes I wonder if blood test can be wrong if you are masking with perhaps a different med or foods or something.

SR, note the difference in the two terms, hypo vs hyper, under vs over.

My advice would be to see a different MD for a second opinion - from an endocrinologist, not a GP. An endocrinologist will be familiar with the new test protocols, which have changed. An enlarged anything is not to be dismissed, IMHO, although you may have benign thyroid disease. I'd want confirmation if I were in your shoes.

TSH test

pk

S
OP Offline
S
Lots of useful stuff happenning here whilst I've been away. I'm not sure what my TSH levels are - she mentioned just over 12 for one number but then said something about it being borderline. IF she was referring to 12 being my TSH then that doesn't sound very borderline. I have another appointment next week to get some clarity - the doc I saw was not forth coming.

I've been trying to establish when I was first symptomatic enough to have an impact on those around me.

I think i may have had a bit post dd6 ( i put on 40lb in about 4 weeks, just after she was born), but then it went for sure.

My periods went mental after DS, but that could have just been "those" hormones and then that was when life took a real downhill with J starting shifts and moving.

I've relly noticed the difference since just before Xmas. I asked J when he thought my symptoms had kicked in and whether he thought I 'd been particualry irrational/miserable in the last 5 months. But he couldn't answer the question and got really angry and defensive....

I was on his side - I was thinking maybe I have been really awful to live with, added to his stress and made things harder for him to keep in control, but he wouldn't give me chance to say it.

When on earth is it ever going to be ok for me to discuss my thoughts or feelings?

Vitt,

of those symptoms listed:

A feeling of mental fogginess and slowed thinking - CHECK
Loss of motivation and enthusiasm - CHECK
Difficulty with short- and long-term memory - CHECK
A decline in analytical ability and comprehension - CHECK
Hopelessness and depression - CHECK (but only very recently)
Paranoid thought patterns - ?? not sure
In severe cases, confusion and disorientation - have certainly had some of this too.

So far, I still haven't gained weight.

J has tried to be supportive the back end of the week and after just 5 days on meds my mum and dad have seen a difference in me.

G
G
Is a messed up menstral cycle a symptom? I go three months without then one every other week. Then three months without etc.

Depression check
Forgetting things check
Paranoia - I always think I am going to be fired, no one really likes me they are just being nice and a feeling of imending doom
Forgetful - highly
Weight gain and not able to lose weight even when exercising and dieting like a nut - which is why I stop trying and eat what I want - why bother

Motivated and enthusiastic - not an issue - I have always been that annoyinh happy puppy ready to try anythin - perky is a word that people use to describe me

I don't think my analytical or thinking is an issue but I bet my bh does!!!

I just think i am fat and have problems remembering stuff short term.

V
V
Originally Posted by staytogether
When on earth is it ever going to be ok for me to discuss my thoughts or feelings?
hmm, I need more info before I can ramble. ST, what do you mean by this???

SR, I agree with PK, see an endocrinologist about your symptoms.

SC, you have no idea how disappointed I was that day to know that my thyroid was okay! grin
Yes, I will try every excuse.

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Vittoria
hmm, I need more info before I can ramble. ST, what do you mean by this???

I mean, so so so many times when I try to say how I feel about something he gets angry and displays it- I don't feel safe sharing it. The perfectly innocent case above of me asking whether he noticed a difference in me in the recent months is a point in case. (This was me asking about the -ve affect I was having on the relationship)

If I wait til things are more relaxed to discuss anything (even the above) he says - why do you spoil the way things are going by asking questions like that. If things aren't going well, he says you know the response you're likely to get when I am in one of these moods.

Either way he ends up angry and I feel lonely. In the case above it went further and he ended up taking it out on Els for the rest of the day (which again can happen if it isn't an evening discussion).

He said sorry the next day - but that was it - just "sorry". What does that tell me?

S
OP Offline
S
Is a messed up menstral cycle a symptom? I go three months without then one every other week. Then three months without etc.

Depression check
Forgetting things check
Paranoia - I always think I am going to be fired, no one really likes me they are just being nice and a feeling of imending doom
Forgetful - highly
Weight gain and not able to lose weight even when exercising and dieting like a nut - which is why I stop trying and eat what I want - why bother

Motivated and enthusiastic - not an issue - I have always been that annoyinh happy puppy ready to try anythin - perky is a word that people use to describe me

I don't think my analytical or thinking is an issue but I bet my bh does!!!

I just think i am fat and have problems remembering stuff short term.

Certainly worth checking it out. Messed up cycle is one. I would never have thought I had it. No weight gain here - in fact I think it is probably more loss. Just because you don't have all the symptoms doesn't mean you don't have it.

Can't remember whether it was in PKs link but there is lots of discrepancy about what is normal and lots of endocrinologists are altering the way they diagnose and making a huge difference in people's lives. Even diagnosing and prescribing when TSH levels are below 3.

I'm looking forward to my appointment on Fri, to see what my diagnosis was based on. I'm now beginning to wonder whether the 12 figure she gave me was blood count - she said I wasn't anaemic.

Last edited by staytogether; 04/06/10 01:49 AM.
V
V
I've relly noticed the difference since just before Xmas. I asked J when he thought my symptoms had kicked in and whether he thought I 'd been particualry irrational/miserable in the last 5 months. But he couldn't answer the question and got really angry and defensive....

I was on his side - I was thinking maybe I have been really awful to live with, added to his stress and made things harder for him to keep in control, but he wouldn't give me chance to say it.
okay, I understand what you were referring to now.

I don't know ST, I didn't see it as an attack of any sort, I saw it as you did, more on J's side like you said. Taking responsibility for the tension if it had may be to do with your thyroid condition.

The meds are doing their job if your parents have noticed a difference in you.

All I can think of at the moment is to stay RH without LBing, letting J know that your biggest goal in life is to be absolutely, gigantically and spectacularily ...... in love with him.
And that you want share what you are thinking with him, the love of your life!

IDK, where is Mark?

M'd 22 years
BW-me
D-Day 08/08 LTA

G
G
Maybe he viewed as you trying to blame your A on your thyroid? I dont know...but - i do know that the suggestion i might have a chemicle embalance by a family member during the time I was very depressed following DDAY was met by MY H with - oh then I guess is not her fault she went to vegas and f'd around on me with some random stranger...she had a CHEMICAL embalance.

your H isnt my DH so its not a DJ for me to try and guess what he is thinking laugh

M
M
where is Mark?
Who?

I'm here. Just been super busy at work, doing the NFP thing and trying to help people with horses, still doing stuff on the other forums more than I was for a while and trying to figure out what input I might actually have for the situation.

Until I get something, just know that I'm here, reading, following along as best I can and when I have something to chime in with, you'll know.

Mark

S
OP Offline
S
All I can think of at the moment is to stay RH without LBing, letting J know that your biggest goal in life is to be absolutely, gigantically and spectacularily ...... in love with him.

Hi Vitt, Thanks for dropping in.

It's sort of a catch 22, if i don't talk to him, I can get by fairly happily in a state of sort of withdrawl. I can be civil and I can function co-parenting and co- house running. But it is likely that he will never get the affection that he needs from me...

or I can talk to him about how I feel, he can LB and then I can totally withdraw, like I do, because I can't face being anywhere near him and avoid his company.

And of course when i say that I'd like to do RH but find it hard and a bit scary so I'm reluctant. He tells me not to be pathetic.

But sometimes he's quite nice

S
OP Offline
S
Maybe he viewed as you trying to blame your A on your thyroid?

Hi sis

after his reaction, I tried to make it quite clear that I was using it as mitigating circumstances for him. The A is very rarely in his mind and when it is there it is because I put it there by asking if his "bad" behaviour is related to a trigger.

I'll have a look at what you've been up to soon

G
G
ST - my email bounced back - you okay !!!

S
OP Offline
S
I can't believe how quickly things change around here. Hard to imagine that 2 weeks or so ago I was total doom and gloom.

It so hinges on his AOs / lack of care.

I think he is really enjoying his new life and new hours. He has commented on how different he feels,not working nights and that now looking back he can see what a negative affect it had on him.

He has apologised for the last 4 1/2 years and showed empathy for how hard it must have been to be around him.

I've been kissing him and even snogged him last night and have felt and said "ILY".

He seems soooo much more happy and confident.

He was in reflective mood last night - analysing his controlling behaviour and how it came about. His homework for last week form his perps course was to look at controlling behaviour and they discussed the form he had to fill out in the meeting last night.

Think of an issue you have controlled?

What behaviours did you use to control it?

What beliefs were behind your controlling behaviour?

What did you do to minimise the behaviour?

How did your partner feel?

What about anyone else involved? The lessons children may learn?

.... and some other really good Q's, which I will get on here at some point.

Useful for all of us to use to analyse how we get our own way.

The session was also about name calling last night. J realised that he calls me "stupid" or "useless" because those are the things that upset me most. I find them very insulting. He commented that he could call me a slag and it wouldn't bother me (so he wouldn't call me it). He said it's because you know you are not a slag and so does every one else.

It make me ask lots of questions about my values. I think I value intelligence and usefulness very very highly. Also I guess I do have doubts about whether I am 100% as useful as I could be or how intelligent I am (despite all the evidence).

We also had a good discussion about the A last night. After the responses I had to my thread over in SaA, I asked about his ability to rationalise and move on from the A. His feelings are that I didn't really betray our M because we didn't have one and hadn't had one for a while. He also confessed to peeking at OMs FB page and shared some info from there that did make him angry in the light of the info recieved about FOM playing away again.

I asked when and asked whether it triggered him and whether that could have caused his dreadful mood those few weeks ago. He pretty much put that down to nerves about new job/lifestyle and said that while he was acting out FOM or the A wasn't in his mind at all - I don't think he TOTALLY dismissed that it could have been a factor though.

The sun has been shining, the kids have been off form school (2 week easter break) and we are looking forward to having lots of fun over the summer.

I feel like a tremendous weight has lifted off my shoulders now J isn't working shifts anymore.

Just need to get this dose of thyroxine sorted now, so that I can start operating at ST speed again.

S
OP Offline
S
oh and Church....

J has realised that he gets absolutely no time by himself and is thinking maybe that Church on a Sunday morning might give him some time out....

S
S
Sorry to threadjack, st, but do you see what I mean?

Vanished without trace.

We are not allowed to ask questions like that!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
OP Offline
S
I see exactly what you mean. How bizarre!

L
L
ok, I am lost.

Hey ST, just wanted to say hi, and catch up on your happenings. I like the questions J had for the offenders thingy. I might think on how they could be used in our house.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
L
L
link for you smile

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
S
OP Offline
S
Thought I'd best bring this here. This is all about "ME" Not sure whether I'm premenstrual, whether my brain is not quite straight. Whether my time not pondering recovery quite so much has triggered this or whether it is the work J has done on the abusers course. What ever it is I think I this is too angry or defensive to be on V's thread and won't be helpful over there.

I think I have read a few things here recently that have made me cross. You know sometimes the WS really is abused and although it doesn't make having an A ok, it is really wrong to dismiss it. This person needs support.

ST, you often give me lots to think about. I've typed and deleted, many times trying to reply to this.
I hope that it wasn't stressful thinking V.

I protect the M and the family with all my might...because of the children's suffering.
You don't mention J's suffering. How come?

Because I didn't mind that he was suffering.

This one, particularly the bolded ......
I certainly don't blame my choice to have an A on the M - I am aware of all the events surrounding it. I have always been a firm believer that I create my own destiny and that I am in charge of my life (in total conflict with my sis who believes everything is mapped out). ie if I want something enough I can have it. the adjustment in me has come in reevaulating what is morally right for me to want. I wanted that escapism - I chose to have the A.
seems to contradict the bolded in this one .....
I'm not intending to T/J but I have to say that if my M was happy and I felt that my husband loved me - I wouldn't have been looking for someone to fill the voids.I wouldn't have had the A. If I had understood fully about M and boundaries and knew as much as I do now I wouldn't have done it.

If you're referring to the bit where I say I was unhappy in my M and that I had previously said about creating my own. Then I don't see the contradiction. I thought it was my bad choice for marrying J and that I needed to escape - ie looking for someone else

Is this the type of foggy blameshifting crap that makes you feel disheartened?
Yes it is.
It certainly isn't his first thought when he speaks, but like I said before, he will eventually get to what you have just said, only more subtle.
I don't see my view of my A as blameshifting. I take responsibility. But the state of the pre-A M can not be totally dismissed. If it could be then I wouldn't still be working hard on my M.

E
ven though it's a glimpse of foggy/selfish thinking, it's still there and could/will revive itself.
I think also that it's a piece of the brick in the wall that doesn't allow a FWS to do whatever it takes to restore the M.
There is still that 'me' mentality, ever so small but it still has influence over your actions and thoughts, as to what you owe a BS.

Everyone needs to have a bit of a "me" mentality - having boundaries protects "me". It is up to a BS to let the know what the WS owes, particularly if they are asking.

J does feel that I am repentant.
That's good, yet you ask here about your own repentance.
I don't think that true repentance can be felt and acted out sincerely, until all the fog has lifted.
What do you think ST?
I ask about my own repentance because I guess I am scared that I don't feel that guily about J. Whether that is because he hasn't shown that he's bothered or whether that is just still my anger about the abuse.

Is the amount of repentance necessary, in some way connected to the state of the pre-A M rather than the individual BS? (at the risk of being a bit contentious).
I would say no when it comes to A's, allowing a third party into your M is above the state of the M pre-A.
Both spouses knew that the M was unhealthy, (in ST's and V's M anyway), and still chose to remain.
An A is only known to one spouse who conspires to keep a secret life, this is an individual assault against the BS.
I ask this because of the guilt J feels about the state of the pre A M and whether because of this he feels he needs less repentance. I think that physically hurting your spouse is on a similar level and that this was also revenge

I think that repentance stands separately.
The repentance required to heal the weak M status, falls on both parties, to rebuild using the tools that we learn here.
Maybe here I have moved away from the weak M status and decided to accept that J hurt me and betrayed and destroyed my trust for many years and that instead of dealing with it thegrown up way I decided to take revenge.

Page 33 of 42 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation