Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16
MelodyLane #2365326 04/30/10 08:36 AM
S
schtoop Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Melody,

Thanks for weighing in. Yes, I know full well about the MB's approach versus conventional counseling. Yes, I firmly believe that MB's IS the right approach.

I have bought the books and encouraged my wife to read them. They are on my dresser top as we speak. I have talked about some of the basic concepts, both to my wife and in counseling. I try my best to live by MB's principles now.

The problem is that there is no buy in from my wife. The fact that the push for MB's was coming from me was perceived as me being "controlling" yet again.

Right now, the only small victories I have is that she's still here, and that she is going to counseling. To his credit, our MC makes one valid point. My wife is so withdrawn right now that 1) She will not allow me to meet her most important EN's, and 2) Has absolutely no interest in meeting mine. Since the whole MB's concept is about meeting each other's EN's, it clearly is premature at this point.

Doctor Harley talks about the three stages of marriage: intimacy, conflict, and withdrawal. He states that for a marriage in withdrawal, it must pass back through the conflict stage before getting back to intimacy. In fact, it is seen as progress when a marriage moves from withdrawal to conflict, as painful as it may be. Our MC is trying to lead us through this process right now and is actually pretty good at what he does. So while it's not MB's, I'm hoping that there will be a tangible benefit to his approach.

Dr. Harley:
Emotional needs can be met only when we are emotionally vulnerable to someone who meets those needs. When we are in the state of Withdrawal, our emotional needs cannot be met because we've raised our defenses. Even when a spouse tries to meet an emotional need, the defensive wall blunts the effect to prevent any Love Bank deposits.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3620_state.html

So, my best hope is that our MC can lead us to a place where she'll be receptive to MB's. In the meantime, I'm trying to do my best to be the lighthouse and avoid LB's.

schtoop #2365329 04/30/10 08:44 AM
K
K
She who cares the least, has the most power.

You may do well to read the articles in the newsletter portion of the Marriage Builder Discussion Board.

I think these in particular will hit you between the eyes and inspire you with a very specific timeline and plan to take back your power in the relationship:

Part 1 - When to Call it Quits

Part 2 - When to Call it Quits

Part 3 - When to Call it Quits

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
schtoop #2365331 04/30/10 08:46 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by schtoop
So, my best hope is that our MC can lead us to a place where she'll be receptive to MB's. In the meantime, I'm trying to do my best to be the lighthouse and avoid LB's.

schtoop, but you are not avoiding lovebusters at all. You are going to counseling together and lovebusting each other. And paying for it. Your recent exercise of her giving you a litany of her grievances in a session of counseling reminded your W of why she dislikes you and her marriage and gives her more justification for her affair.

Past resentments were brought into the present which puts the potential of creating a romantic marriage farther and farther away. It is impossible to lovebust your way to marital happiness.

This is actually causing HARM to your marriage if you understand AT ALL how romantic relationships are created. I HAVE ONE using these concepts and KNOW this will impede your chances of ever having it. Your C doesnt know what he is doing. Your MC is not leading you any place except to a divorce.

You don't need your wife's buy in to get counseling from Steve Harley. He won't counsel you together anyway. If you called him, he would tell you what to say to get her on the phone so HE can sell her himself.

schtoop, you routinely don't take the advice given on this board from members who have saved their marriages, but I would implore you to take my advice on this. Your marriage is not going to survive many more of your mistakes.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

KaylaAndy #2365361 04/30/10 09:36 AM
S
schtoop Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by KaylaAndy
She who cares the least, has the most power.

Kayla, thanks for the links and this statement above is true without a doubt. One benefit of the 180 plan is that it takes back a little of that power, where a one-sided plan A does not.

As your links suggest, plan B may be the only thing left to shift the "power" back to where I can put these kind of boundaries in place. That's why I am making plan B plans. There is also a very good chance that plan B would blow the whole thing up, which Dr. Harley acknowledges.

Melody,
I know you come on strong and like to tell it like it is. I do value your opinion and advice.

Your marriage is not going to survive many more of your mistakes.

You've made statements of this vein to me an many other posters often, and it smacks of emotional blackmail.

If my marriage (and many others) doesn't survive, it's because of many mistakes made by both partners leading up to the affair, and a HUGE mistake made by the wayward in having the affair. Add in a spouse who is unwilling to take any meaningful steps towards recovery and your looking at a high probability of failure regardless of how carefully your interpretation of Dr. Harley's plan is followed. The above statement is over the line.

schtoop #2365431 04/30/10 11:20 AM
M
M
Right now, the only small victories I have is that she's still here, and that she is going to counseling. To his credit, our MC makes one valid point. My wife is so withdrawn right now that 1) She will not allow me to meet her most important EN's, and 2) Has absolutely no interest in meeting mine. Since the whole MB's concept is about meeting each other's EN's, it clearly is premature at this point.

Doctor Harley talks about the three stages of marriage: intimacy, conflict, and withdrawal. He states that for a marriage in withdrawal, it must pass back through the conflict stage before getting back to intimacy. In fact, it is seen as progress when a marriage moves from withdrawal to conflict, as painful as it may be. Our MC is trying to lead us through this process right now and is actually pretty good at what he does. So while it's not MB's, I'm hoping that there will be a tangible benefit to his approach.

Dr. Harley:
Emotional needs can be met only when we are emotionally vulnerable to someone who meets those needs. When we are in the state of Withdrawal, our emotional needs cannot be met because we've raised our defenses. Even when a spouse tries to meet an emotional need, the defensive wall blunts the effect to prevent any Love Bank deposits.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3620_state.html

Marriage Builders does include plans for dealing with the withdrawal and conflict states. wink

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
schtoop #2365441 04/30/10 11:31 AM
M
M
[You've made statements of this vein to me an many other posters often, and it smacks of emotional blackmail.

If my marriage (and many others) doesn't survive, it's because of many mistakes made by both partners leading up to the affair, and a HUGE mistake made by the wayward in having the affair.

schtoop, it is not emotional blackmail, it is a statement of fact. In situations like this, there is a very narrow path to recovery. It does not just happen by accident. While there are no guarantees, there is a tried and true path that is most likely to avail a successful outcome. Continually veering off that path is unlikely to lead to success.

It's as if you were trying to get to Cincinnati and insist on taking Interstate 30, despite the fact that it does not go to Cincinnati. Am I blackmailing you if I tell you that you aren't going to get to Cincinnati that way? Or am just stating a true fact when I tell you that IH 30 doesn't go there but IH 75 DOES? Wouldn't it be mean of me to NOT tell you that you can't get to Cinncinnati that way?

People really do want to help you, schtoop, and it is frustrating to those of us who have saved our marriages using these concepts. It didn't happen by accident either.

Dr Harley points this out over and over again in his writings that this is not a crap shoot:

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works.
Requirements for Recovery

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2365478 04/30/10 12:08 PM
C
C
It's as if you were trying to get to Cincinnati and insist on taking Interstate 30, despite the fact that it does not go to Cincinnati.

Maybe he secretly wants to go to Little Rock.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
chrisner #2365482 04/30/10 12:11 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by chrisner
It's as if you were trying to get to Cincinnati and insist on taking Interstate 30, despite the fact that it does not go to Cincinnati.

Maybe he secretly wants to go to Little Rock.

Why would anyone want to go to Cincinnati in the first place?

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
jmwc95 #2365492 04/30/10 12:20 PM
S
schtoop Offline OP
OP Offline
S
LOL, my 5 year old is stuck on wanting to go to Cincinnati.

He's been wanting to see snow (we live in Florida) and I think he saw an NFL game where it was snowing in Cincinnati, so that's where he wants to go. We've explained that somewhere like Colorado would be better and there's really nothing to like in Cincinnati, but he's convinced otherwise.

schtoop #2365524 04/30/10 12:59 PM
M
M
I wanna go to Minneapolis!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2365540 04/30/10 01:13 PM
C
C
We've explained that somewhere like Colorado would be better
Take I70.

Take I35.

Last edited by chrisner; 04/30/10 01:14 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
chrisner #2365574 04/30/10 01:59 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by chrisner
We've explained that somewhere like Colorado would be better
Take I70.

Take I35.

I plan to take a jet plane, actually.

With my wife by my side, and hotel reservations at the Embassy Suites!

markos #2365585 04/30/10 02:12 PM
_
_
Schtoop- I think our questions regarding trying Plan B in the same house were answered. IT CAN'T BE DONE. I wish I can remember where the post was (I think on Linus' thread), but I think Mel quoted Dr. H's statement about it, and if there is NO OTHER WAY to get WW to leave, the BH should. Last resort of course, but if it comes to Plan B, I think we need to be willing to leave.

Fortunately, I don't think you are there yet. I do agree that maybe this MC isn't the best choice. Can you search for a different one that does use the MB concepts? Do you think you may be able to get her on the phone with Steve? I also don't believe there is much value in dredging up the past.

-SOL
_SOL #2365601 04/30/10 02:43 PM
S
schtoop Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, SoL.

No, all things being equal I can do the 180 plan (with as much plan A mixed in as I can) for quite a while longer. I'm starting to make plans for plan B, but they won't be implemented unless I find broken NC. I will not leave the house under any circumstances short of a court order, so plan B might not be an option if she refuses to leave.

I won't talk about our MC anymore on this forum, what I relay gets misinterpreted and attacked. His goal is to teach us to get in touch with our feelings and share them with each other, something we both totally suck at and has lead to our situation. He didn't engage my wife with the purpose of rehashing the past, it just kind of went there while he was trying to get anything out of her. She claims to be completely numb.

While not as affective as full-on MB's, I do think this guy is good at what he does and our sessions have value. Half the posters on here have their own MC's.

Last edited by schtoop; 04/30/10 02:55 PM.
jmwc95 #2365604 04/30/10 02:48 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by jmwc95
Why would anyone want to go to Cincinnati in the first place?
Chili! 5-way.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
schtoop #2365611 04/30/10 02:57 PM
_
_
I will try to find that post about leaving the house if need be. It changed my thinking on the Plan B under the same roof idea. If I find it, I will post the link here for you.

I tried the 180 for a while and after talking with SH, I'm back on board with a full Plan A. I'm not saying you shouldn't try the 180 as I think it is a slight middle ground from A to B, however others may.

If you feel the MC is helping, then I would continue, but take Mel's comments to heart. I don't think I've seen her wrong on here yet. I would attempt a call with SH anyway. He is very good at this and I'm sure it would be a positive experience (and no, I don't get a commision).

My WW and I share the same IC, however not as MC. If we ever get to the point of trying MC, I would not use her. She helps me personally, and may be helping my WW, but I will try hard to find a pro-MB counselor if I can.

-SOL
_SOL #2365626 04/30/10 03:10 PM
_
_
Schtoop- Here is a link to the thread about Plan A vs. 180 vs. Plan B. I also bumped it for you. Definately worth reading.

Plan B same House

-SOL
schtoop #2365630 04/30/10 03:14 PM
L
L
I won't talk about our MC anymore on this forum, what I relay gets misinterpreted and attacked. His goal is to teach us to get in touch with our feelings and share them with each other, something we both totally suck at and has lead to our situation. He didn't engage my wife with the purpose of rehashing the past, it just kind of went there while he was trying to get anything out of her. She claims to be completely numb.

While not as affective as full-on MB's, I do think this guy is good at what he does and our sessions have value. Half the posters on here have there own MC's.
I'm one of those posters, schtoop. I'm also of the opinion that SOME MCs can be effective depending on the individual situation. The MC also needs to be very pro-marriage, and understand the reason you are there is to save your marriage, not just dig up a lot of useless junk from the past. In our case, the sessions were very helpful.

Our MC, like yours, has been focusing on helping our communication which was a main part of the problem. If anything from the past comes up, he deals with it quickly, then moves on to how we can use lessons learned to help plan for a better future. There have been many instance where something from Mrs. Linus past helped her to understand some of the anger and resentment she had for me. It helped the MC point out that I was not the problem- she was channeling her anger to the wrong guy. We've also had many O&H conversations with MC, and he has helped us a lot in opening up.

He also really cares for us, and wants us to succeed. At this point, though, Mrs. Linus needs more IC than we need MC, so that's where we are.

The thing about MB is, it will definitely work once both spouses are committed to making the marriage work. I have no doubt about that. The principles are also very effective in ending an affair. Dr. H's book Surviving An Affair is awesome. But everyone is different and I do believe that there are times when a counselor who can look at the couple in the eye(s) and work with them to get over a hump. Sessions with an MC can be very beneficial if used with MB. MB by itself doesn't always work (look at the Divorce forum), but I doubt that at least in my case just MC would have worked. I needed all I learned here, along with the support I found, to cope. That being said, the sessions with the MC helped me a lot, if not necessarily save the marriage. That remains to be seen. I wish I had found MB a long time ago, but the past is the past and now we're doing our best to have a great future and if going to a MC helps, then that's what we do.

Don't let all the negative talk about MCs get you down. If it helps you at all, it's worth it.

Oh, BTW - Mrs. Linus has a session by herself with the MC tonight. She brought the book HNHN with her. She says it's been very helpful.

Me: BH 60 - Married 21 years
ExW had an EA beginning 09/09 (Facebook)
After a few false recoveries, I filed for D 05/11
D final 03/12

'Be Mindful of Your Many Blessings and Endeavor Daily to be Worthy of Them'
Jay Severin

'Life is a gift and it offers each of us the privilege, the opportunity and the responsibility to give something back by becoming something more'
Tony Robbins
Linus #2365640 04/30/10 03:29 PM
M
M

schtoop #2365675 04/30/10 04:20 PM
N
N
One benefit of the 180 plan is that it takes back a little of that power, where a one-sided plan A does not.

Never did I have more control or power in my M than I did in Plan A......Plan A is NOT about giving AWAY the power, it's about GAINING......and if you haven't experienced THAT, then you have not done it properly.....

Plan 180 is telling your spouse one thing...."I don't give a crap what you do"

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 291 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation