Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 42 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 41 42
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Mark1952
ST,

I've been trying to figure out what to say to you and have drawn a blank. You know my willingness to help either or both of you in any way I can

The whole thing about the MB stuff is that you can know it all, be familiar with how and why it works and even what prevents it from working like it should and none of that does you a tiny bit of good.
So, so true

It isn't until you actually begin to DO the MB stuff that it does anything at all.
agreed

According to Dr Harley, whenever there is any conflict, how you attempt to resolve it is more important than actually finding a resolution. Preserving your Love Bank balances is of greater importance than fixing ANY problem.
I think I am currently mostly conflict avoiding. I hate him.

Now there are ways to get through to a spouse who isn't on board that might or might not work. But some of those things that can be tried take a lot longer than most of us are willing to wait to develop and when we aren't getting our own needs met, our Taker demands satisfaction.

Would you guys consider looking at a program that can help you with getting things on track? I can send you the link if you are interested.

Mark [/quote]

The ironing board as been up in our hall for about 2 weeks now and no one has done any ironing - both of us waiting for the other one to do some. Neither of us saying anything and neither of us is going to do any.

I'll consider anything but I'm not sure whether i am capable of anything.

I think i'm unsavageable

G
G
Why does he say he does not want to have contact with the kids? What does he mean by this?

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
S
OP Offline
S
HE says it to hurt me - if he is particularly angry, because he knows how important it is to me for them to have their father in their lives.

G
G
That seems ridiculous, childish and abusive to say something like that about his own children.

BS: 37
FWH: 37
EA: 2 months, ending June 08
Married 7 years
4 kids (2 together)
Hoping for a Recovery
L
L
ST...

I'm going to give you my post...even though I haven't caught up on all your thread. And that's me crossing my own boundary...please don't ding me for it, just this time, 'k?

First advice...listen to your typos. laugh

Second, a question -- did you keep the solicitor's appointment and if so, how'd that go?

Here's what I wrote and debated with myself on posting or not...

ST,

Would you consider...

the pattern of abuse is woven into your relationship...and when the abuse stops (in its most obvious form), then there's a void...

a disruption.

He's doing the course to address his past, present and future actions...he's being told of the inevitable and unchangeable consequences to his past actions...

and not seeing those right in front of him, right now.

I think you are filling the void with self-abuse.

I hear you both saying you guys want the exact same things...

he wishes he would stop being a constant source of disappointment to you...he wishes a divorce would mean a clean slate, a do-over, an apology, and wishes your unhappiness didn't mean the world to him...

you wish he would stop being a constant source of disappointment to you, too...each expectation you set him up for, he fails...he inflicts and he blames you as you're blaming him...and then you stop and look at how far you've both come...and still feel like you hate him...

when you hate that the consequences of your actions just keep coming, too...like his...and you wish the affect on the kids wouldn't be...you wish to control what you cannot...then you would protect them and yourself...and be more than human...

and each sentence contains a milligram of truth neither of you seem to be willing to really hear...given that your focus is on the whole, the impact, the sound of the sentences...and you're sick of going first...doing that sacrifice again in reverse...

because you won't even go first...and you'll take his dares, and do the standoffs, together...each of you...trying to out-hurt the other...

until you look back and see where you've made great periods of progress.

And moments of joy, frustration, connectedness...right now.

Right now (when he comes home and isn't giving you the responses you want and you aren't giving him the responses he wants)...we're having conflict.

Period.

"Hey, this is conflict and we're having it right now!"

Then stand still. Add "right now" to every single sentence...in joy or pain, frustration or resentment...because it is the truth neither of you are telling each other.

"Right now, I wanted it to be different."

Teaching your children how to address conflict is super key...not just with each other...the third-party conflict, as observers (crucial observers) which does involve them (they are half of each of you and their own persons)...and stating the truth is important.

And you know it.

You don't hate J, ST...you hate parts of yourself, especially the blaming ones, inside of you...reflected in him. You still betray yourself in ways you haven't uncovered...because it's a layering process...

and you both want it all now to be different, solved...stay solved. Understandable and not reasonable. Not healthy...not in our adult minds. Key to act, not react, is to identify where you are in your perspective right then...really listen to your thoughts...and if they are full of "shouldn'ts, doesn't have to, oughts"...then you're in your reactive kid-mind inside. Wishful...and wonderful...part of why we connect, repair through conflict...and even withdraw...and very reactive.

So you stop and say where you are...state your wishes as wishes...instead of facts, all those "becauses"...and look J in the eye and say the truth...that's where I am right now.

Not forever. Just this moment, here with you, working it out. Here's what I did...I set myself up and blamed you...

which is why I'm really sensitive to when you set me up to take your blame...

and what I really want is to have a rockin' fun 45 minutes as a family...with the kids...and I know you like having fun, too...and have great ideas. It's part of how I feel loved by you...when you choose to let go, get grinning...and you take his hand, give a kiss and a hug...which is like doing so to yourself because you'll FEEL so much better. Immediately. You want to change the present...

and you have been...for weeks...and you fall back...

and you let an ironing board stay up, unused...make a fort out of it...and do your Mon night UA in it. You both are half responsible...and you know it takes one to end the feud...

and it's okay to switch your priorities from preparation to fun/enjoyment...laughing as your top priority for UA...which means you guys sit together and trade jokes...print them off the internet...type up ones you remember from your earliest laughter possible...

have a joke night. Have a staring contest. Have a straight-face contest. Play together like you did when you wanted to be in love most of all...

and you will be. Not dependent on him...just half. Not all.

Wrinkled clothes won't kill you or your marriage. Not right now. Not for always or never...just not right now. Transmute your symbols...stop your war...because you hate yourself for giving to get, another form of control, and punishment. So lay down the weapons...they aren't real, anyway.

An Affection plan? An SF goal?

LA

S
OP Offline
S
LA,

Thank you for your post.

Originally Posted by LovingAnyway
please don't ding me for it, just this time, 'k?

No dinging here. I'm very grateful for all perspectives and advice.

I want to type I'm trying, but I'd be lying, I keep putting it off.

Second, a question -- did you keep the solicitor's appointment and if so, how'd that go?
If J didn't agree out of court, then likely the courts would make sure I had a mortgage free or small mortgage property over my head. Unfoirtunately there wouldn't be enough for J to get one straight off, but at least he earns enough to get a mortgage.

It has great rhythm and is stirring and poetic and I don't disagree, I just can't make sense of it.

I'm going to have a little go and it may turn out a little like a counselling session.

Would you consider...

the pattern of abuse is woven into your relationship...and when the abuse stops (in its most obvious form), then there's a void...

a disruption.
yes, there is then a void maybe and I seek out change - a move/job change/something to keep me really occupied and busy which causes conflict as J resists change.

He's doing the course to address his past, present and future actions...he's being told of the inevitable and unchangeable consequences to his past actions...

I'm not sure I understand this.

I think you are filling the void with self-abuse.
self abuse in that I manipulate J into being abusive towards me?

he wishes he would stop being a constant source of disappointment to you...he wishes a divorce would mean a clean slate, a do-over, an apology, and wishes your unhappiness didn't mean the world to him...
Have you spoken with him?

you wish he would stop being a constant source of disappointment to you, too...each expectation you set him up for, he fails...he inflicts and he blames you as you're blaming him...and then you stop and look at how far you've both come...and still feel like you hate him...
True

when you hate that the consequences of your actions just keep coming, too...like his...and you wish the affect on the kids wouldn't be...you wish to control what you cannot...then you would protect them and yourself...and be more than human...
yep

and each sentence contains a milligram of truth neither of you seem to be willing to really hear...given that your focus is on the whole, the impact, the sound of the sentences...and you're sick of going first...doing that sacrifice again in reverse...
yep

because you won't even go first...and you'll take his dares, and do the standoffs, together...each of you...trying to out-hurt the other...
yes

until you look back and see where you've made great periods of progress.

And moments of joy, frustration, connectedness...right now.

Right now (when he comes home and isn't giving you the responses you want and you aren't giving him the responses he wants)...we're having conflict.

Period.

"Hey, this is conflict and we're having it right now!"
I do do this. I do add the "right now"

Then stand still. Add "right now" to every single sentence...in joy or pain, frustration or resentment...because it is the truth neither of you are telling each other.

"Right now, I wanted it to be different."
I do do this. I do add the "right now" And he continues to make it into our future and he says " we can't go and visit freinds in Spain In August, because we will have to pretend to be happy and will be living a lie" This is what shuts me off - the projection of the negative into the future. When I know that the crap is only for "now", this is what is so wearing for me: that every disagreement is the end of the world and that we shouldn't be together. IT is truly J that needs to put the "right now" on the end of everything.

Teaching your children how to address conflict is super key...not just with each other...the third-party conflict, as observers (crucial observers) which does involve them (they are half of each of you and their own persons)...and stating the truth is important.

And you know it.
I try to - we both try to explain conflict and we can see that not only are we doing it because it is the right thing to do but also because they really appreciate it and show us.

You don't hate J, ST...you hate parts of yourself, especially the blaming ones, inside of you...reflected in him. You still betray yourself in ways you haven't uncovered...because it's a layering process...
how does it get unlayered? I'm not sure about this, but I can't deny it. My self loathing has been increasing in recent weeks

and you both want it all now to be different, solved...stay solved.
very much so. please pray

Understandable and not reasonable.
frown

Not healthy...not in our adult minds. Key to act, not react, is to identify where you are in your perspective right then...really listen to your thoughts...and if they are full of "shouldn'ts, doesn't have to, oughts"...then you're in your reactive kid-mind inside.
I will try to be mindful of this - this is kind of resentful/entitlement speak.

So you stop and say where you are...

Not forever. Just this moment, here with you, working it out. Here's what I did...I set myself up and blamed you...

which is why I'm really sensitive to when you set me up to take your blame...
Do you think? You think I set myself up?

and what I really want is to have a rockin' fun 45 minutes as a family...with the kids...
I think I'm depressed - this doesn't seem like something good at the mo
and I know you like having fun, too...and have great ideas. It's part of how I feel loved by you...when you choose to let go, get grinning...and you take his hand, give a kiss and a hug...which is like doing so to yourself because you'll FEEL so much better. Immediately.
I am desperate for a hug, desperate, but I am shutting out ALL of those people likely to give me one. Avoiding everyone.

You want to change the present...

easily done

and you let an ironing board stay up, unused...make a fort out of it...and do your Mon night UA in it. You both are half responsible...and you know it takes one to end the feud...
why should it be me? still the thought that jumps inot my head

and it's okay to switch your priorities from preparation to fun/enjoyment...laughing as your top priority for UA...which means you guys sit together and trade jokes...print them off the internet...type up ones you remember from your earliest laughter possible...
Odd, I can't ever remember laughing with him. We find different things funny - I can often remember laughing at something on telly and him giving me strange looks because he didn't find it funny and vice versa (many many occasions). NCIS really amuses me - i really enjoy the humour in that, J likes the simpsons etc which I can not stand.

have a joke night. Have a staring contest. Have a straight-face contest. Play together like you did when you wanted to be in love most of all...
I can't imagine it. I can't picture me looking him in the eye.

Wrinkled clothes won't kill you or your marriage. Not right now. Not for always or never...just not right now. Transmute your symbols...stop your war...because you hate yourself for giving to get, another form of control, and punishment. So lay down the weapons...they aren't real, anyway.
Putting down the weapons might be a bit scary.

What about an RC goal and a conversation goal?

L
L
Originally Posted by staytogether
I want to type I'm trying, but I'd be lying, I keep putting it off.
When you ask yourself why you put off doing what is good and loving for yourself, what answer do you get?
If J didn't agree out of court, then likely the courts would make sure I had a mortgage free or small mortgage property over my head. Unfoirtunately there wouldn't be enough for J to get one straight off, but at least he earns enough to get a mortgage.
You did keep the appointment? And what you got most out of it was a realistic picture of the financial consequences, if the split is doable?
It has great rhythm and is stirring and poetic and I don't disagree, I just can't make sense of it.

I'm going to have a little go and it may turn out a little like a counselling session.

Thank you for having a little go at it, anyway. Seems you took what you needed...so you made sense out of it.
yes, there is then a void maybe and I seek out change - a move/job change/something to keep me really occupied and busy which causes conflict as J resists change.
Do you believe that you can fill a void in the abuse pattern with move/job change? Distraction is in part healing, giving time for humans to hear, maybe...still a part of the pattern of managing emotions instead of changing choices, I think. Your focus is stuck all over J...you made my question which was about you, a new void, about him and him resisting change.

Would you consider he's your mirror? You see more of your stuff through him than you do looking into yourself. You think you are too painful to examine, to know. Reasonable you then think J is the source of your anguish.

I see you seeing your pain, anger and frustration inside you as about J...which betrays you, says you are HIS creation, his result, not a whole, complete person with your own emotions, thoughts, beliefs, choices and actions. I read you as believing HIS actions mean more to the marriage than yours do...that he generates your feelings...he's the cause, control and cure for you.

Can you really imagine carrying the weight of another person to that extent? Wouldn't it be crushing? Ask yourself...because you may be carrying all of his stuff...and calling it love...where you guys exchanged yourselves entirely.

And when you take back what is solely yours, and hand back what isn't, then all your acts of love, meeting ENs, will add to your own love bank and you can see his deposits coming in, also.

Not the all or nothing...you doing to make him feel so you can feel...that part eliminated. And your awareness will become keen when you are self-stabbing and putting the knife (figuratively) in J's hands. And when you're not.

Eliminating the LB in you that holds all those "shoulda-woulda-coulda" stuff. You do that. In your own head. And it's tricky, and wearing, and tiring. We sap our own strength when we're caught in that cycle...and it's a great replacement for the extreme abuse we no longer are receiving or handing out.

Still abusive. Dr. Harley is all about creating habits and replacing destructive ones...you guys had a destructive habit...both of you...in your marriage...and it's not there anymore...not right now...and when you judge, rate and compare what J says to what you want him to be saying, you're putting bits of it back in. You assume your spouse, instead of partner him.

And none of what I'm saying will change J...make him better, nicer, more present, less negative...yet if you will do a personal reset in yourself, you will experience J as J truly is...different, new today. This is a J you don't know...none of our spouses are when we finally stop predicting them.

And act our love for them, instead.

I'm not sure I understand this.
It is very hard to absorb the enormity of how much our past actions affect our present...a transition time from what we once believed to what we now know...I know you get this because you have experienced it, too. Are experiencing. Doesn't excuse anything...sure does explain a lot.

And you very much want him to see through the eyes of appreciation, for right now, all that he has, see with gratitude and understanding...and I'd like you to do that with him, too. I saw you regroup and look again how you were seeing your marriage as different for awhile...and I heard gratitude. To me, that was loving self-care on your part.
self abuse in that I manipulate J into being abusive towards me?
Is that your belief, that you can make J act abusively? Or would you consider that in order to justify his previous abuse, he had to make you the cause, control and cure for his own choices, his actions? So if you do the same thing...what do you call that?

No, I haven't. Will you ask him this, to really know if anything in my own experience resonates?

Also, will you consider what a common overlap it is, to believe love is making ourselves the cause, control and cure for what isn't ours?

Not the source of our spouse's happiness...the cause. Different. One is a supply, an offering...the other is the control of...so you want to make him NOT feel impatient, abandoned or discounted...rather than you knowing you are a source of acceptance, inclusion and respect. He will feel and you will feel...and separating those is how you get to know your half.

You hear him say "We have no chance" and then his justification of today's feelings for way down the road maybe's. What if you heard him say "I'm afraid we'll have no chance" and it's wording? He's sharing HIS fear...and you're hearing only condemnation through negativity. Only you can adjust your hearing to test what your perception...he can't. Takes the goal of really knowing him or wanting him to be someone you want to know...your goal is in your own hands. Pick ones you want most, will be most proud of yourself.

You are worth knowing, ST. You're not bad or wrong, poorly made, inadequate or broken. You will do harm, though. We all do. The deepest harm is in refusing to look at ourselves and see where we are doing it and to whom. Because we damage ourselves when we are harming others, too. Never just goes one way.

And I think you believe that it does...that only J is doing harm to you...evidenced by you feeling pain, rejection, frustration and fear.
True
If your feelings truly are yours, and they are a result of your thoughts, perceptions, perspective...beliefs...then J is a source, not in control of your disappointment...you're half of it...your expectations matter...they give you your feelings...and his half is how his actions do and do not meet those...you gotta check your expectations for validity, if they are abusive to you, him and the marriage or not. We will change our true goals, "I want to be crazy in love with my husband" to temporary ones, "If only he'd just come home on time tonight with a smile...that's all I want" and we crash and burn. We literally sabotage our greater goal and train our brains to not give us those love deposits...

because he did come home. He does love having dinner with his family. He does love his children and his wife. And you didn't make him love. You're not that powerful. He chooses you. And he hurts. And I don't read where you acknowledge and validate that this man hurts a lot. He's saying it and you're hearing about you...instead of about him. Separate and equal...a phrase that really helped me get this...because when I was in so much pain, I COULDN'T see my H's...too much to hold...and so I didn't see how much harm I was doing to him, adding to his pain...wouldn't look. And all my pain I assigned to his actions, his doing, and not doing...and half was from my expectations laced with toxic phrases like...

If he loved me he wouldn't...

If he even cared a whit about me, he would...

He's just using me, I'm convenient, I'm a waste...I'm not a person to him...

Changing those same toxic thoughts into really healthy ones...

Because I choose to love him, I won't do....
Because I choose to act from care and respect, I will...
I will not use my spouse as an object, degrade him into a caricature, for my use to manage my emotions. I will not see him as convenient, a burden, another child for I will respect myself and others. No matter on this planet is lost...no human being can be a waste.

I matter. J matters.

Those are the laws of marriage to me.

What J does matters equally to what I do. Even when it doesn't feel like it.

We cannot wish the past away, and the more time we indulge ourselves in doing just that, the more we are saying, "If every day isn't perfect, it's not enough." Which is saying, "If I am not perfect, then I'm not enough." And also, "If J isn't perfect, then he's not enough for me."

Each time we wish for something to go perfectly, all these can be sitting there, inside that expectation, wish, desire.

When in reality, we just want to experience something together...which is true and real...the main part. When you want perfect, you're in control, not love. Only you can separate those out...and know which you act from.

The ironing board is control, not love. A great symbol, though, to help you sort them out...if you imagine yourself as the board that J irons his human wrinkles out on...and you get burned and used.
...and you're sick of going first...doing that sacrifice again in reverse...
yep
You're worth going first for. You always have been. Your actions are about you...what you want. Control is about trying to make others do and not do what you DON'T want. Helps to sort control from love.

You will love, and feel in love (with J's changes over time)...if that's what you want most. I'm reading you wanting most is to be safe from any more pain coming in from the outside...not one more bit of disappointment, rejection or conflict.

Which is why you will not feel in love, no matter what J does or doesn't do, nor feel loved. Part of your self-abuse is blocking his deposits, allowing your DJs to run riot in your head, and self-rejection in seeing your pain coming in, instead of inside you.

Go first for yourself. You have a huge debt to yourself, to acknowledge your own responsibility...because that's the secret allure of abuse...you get to see your own stuff as if it's not (no blame) when it still is yours...and in the battle between wanting most to be blameless and to have power (which is responsibility), we choose...not them. Not anyone else.
I do do this. I do add the "right now"
<snipped other quote>
I do do this. I do add the "right now" And he continues to make it into our future and he says " we can't go and visit freinds in Spain In August, because we will have to pretend to be happy and will be living a lie" This is what shuts me off - the projection of the negative into the future. When I know that the crap is only for "now", this is what is so wearing for me: that every disagreement is the end of the world and that we shouldn't be together. IT is truly J that needs to put the "right now" on the end of everything.
Great to know you're doing this in your words. Go further.

In your own head, and even aloud, add them to HIS words, too.

And he won't do/not do because YOU change...the interaction changes for sure. And your experience in the interaction will change. Your resulting emotions will be different.

Why not choose to listen and repeat with your own filter (make it healthy), "You're saying you're afraid if we go to Spain in August, to visit our friends, that you'll have to pretend to be happy and fear living a lie." With filter: "You really want to feel happy and live it as the truth of your life."

You do so NOT to change his perspective...for you to understand it...not assume...and not add or remove toxic material.

He fears...and fear is the negative of love, feels like. It's not. It's the contrast so you can even experience "love"...it's necessary. Fear of losing you, losing his family, losing what he cherishes most (and therefore resents the most)...fear as negative. Your choice to hear it differently or to keep proving to yourself he'll thwart all your dreams, he won't give you what you want most, that he is toxic to your healthy...making him the problem is a snap.

It's simple and easy. Respecting him as a person, not a problem...now that's hard. And you got it...you did it...and then you stopped. So you begin again...and stop doing the old stuff, for the old reasons (you wore them out), in the old way.

You are new every day, ST. Every single day.
I try to - we both try to explain conflict and we can see that not only are we doing it because it is the right thing to do but also because they really appreciate it and show us.
What if your "tries" kill your marriage? Would you stop them then? I believe YOU DO explain conflict instead of connect through it...you don't have to explain to your children...you have to example your convictions and own when you fail to act to them.

I bet you both are great parents...I hear passion and commitment...even when he says he won't contact them...hey, you make him the problem, removing him from all your lives would be the solution, right? If every act he makes has so much power...that's too much power, don't you think? Better to be without him, the problem...kids would be better off, you'd be better off...he's a constant source of failure...instead of happiness. That's what I hear you saying about J. You may not be saying this...yet you believing he says it only to hurt you is a huge DJ you use to wound yourself...and rightfully so...because when you give all YOUR power to your partner, then you gotta hurt yourself enough to stop the betrayal you're doing, right?

Rock bottom is when the pain of not changing outweighs the pain of changing. And we hit it again and again...because we really don't want to keep betraying ourselves with our own chosen perspective and perception.
how does it get unlayered? I'm not sure about this, but I can't deny it. My self loathing has been increasing in recent weeks
You are loathing what J and the kids love. Think about that. You are going to hate yourself for abandoning your own choices and only seeing through J. Picture your kids doing this to one another..."I feel bad because HE did this" or "I feel bad because HE didn't do that for me"...the extreme, now, not the moderate...the "I am only because he is" is the toxic union...the becoming one (enmeshed). We are two separate human beings in one union. What you won't do for J (ironing board) you can do for the marriage.

And to honor the marriage, you gotta love, respect and act loving to yourself, strive to understand, acknowledge and own what is yours...that's your responsibility in your vows. And you guys have gone through, together, much of the vows...the unasked for, the grief that shouldn't be and is...and then isn't. Doesn't mean you go through it well or gracefully...means you do go through, together. Which is what you vowed...to go through it all...didn't vow to be happy with abuse or resentful without being heard...you just said you'd go through, and so did J.

And he's still there, going through. Consider asking if he wants his pain to end or the marriage. They are two different things.

I know you know that. Only ask after you can answer that for yourself.
and you both want it all now to be different, solved...stay solved.
very much so. please pray
You would pray to have God out of your life, or only in it if God was smooth sailing? You will not solve J, ST. He will not solve you. What we actually do yearn for most...at the very best, you will know J and he will know you...and there's a miracle in that...and it's a daily knowing...and through this, God will work...no smooth sailing...you will succeed at being open to God's opportunity to connect with both of you through your union. You can rely on him for resolution...he depends on your resolve.

He does not want us to endure...he wants us to thrive...and we are in the habit of enduring. Transition time. We get glimpses...we aren't broken, so we don't get fixed forever...you know that. Stop wishing for it. It's like wishing God were different, better, more or less than...

Ouch. Not what you really want...I don't believe that's what you really want to be doing, praying for...your goal of peace and stability, predictability only...rather, you're praying that you will have more joyous days than hard ones...and accept how God works through the hard ones, too...and that each day is one day, each hour and moment, just one...and we all share it and then it's gone...so that "right now" is real...and true...and wishing anything else is abandonment and a travesty to this moment...which passes.

You're in that moment with J...his very presence matters. Don't thwart yourself, ST. You matter. Before you speak a word or take an action...you matter. Equally.
Understandable and not reasonable.
frown
That was tough for me to write...will you think on it? How empowered and responsible do you really feel when you are wishing? Reasonable to react to resentment, entitlement, or understandable? What you really want or not what you really want...you can feel wishful and not react to it. Take it as a signal, a gift from you, to you, for you...receive it. Be okay with it...caught yourself wishing, feeding your resentment instead of building your marriage. Indulgent...doesn't feel toxic or self-harming. It is...poison you take inside yourself...and wait for J to change from it.

And you said it, promised yourself:
I will try to be mindful of this - this is kind of resentful/entitlement speak.
See, not what you want for yourself. You love better than that. And you'll keep your promise...and when you don't, what will you do?
Do you think? You think I set myself up?
Yes. I do. Because I did this. I see you doing it. My own perspective, 'k?
I think I'm depressed - this doesn't seem like something good at the mo
I think you're most likely correct. Taking the concept that depression is anger turned inward, will you ask yourself what you're angry with yourself about?

And if you do like having fun, just not with J right now, will you ask yourself why you're unwilling to have fun with your spouse?
I am desperate for a hug, desperate, but I am shutting out ALL of those people likely to give me one. Avoiding everyone.
What have you done that was so horrible to deserve such punishment from yourself? Would you consider what you crave most, you are least giving?
You want to change the present...

easily done
Very true. Emphasize you changed your experience...not J. You changed your experience of J. You succeeded. You can choose to succeed again.
why should it be me? still the thought that jumps inot my head
Why not? You don't want it up and unused. Clarify your goal and see if you're acting to it or not. Not HIS goal...yours. Your own. Which is why "should" is the alert here...a signal, not a condition. Stop making it a condition of your existence by using it in your head, your words, your life. You want it to be him. Not in your control. You're using it as a statement instead of saying the words. You're doing that. You want to control consequences to his actions and inaction. Is that respectful? Real? Possible?
Odd, I can't ever remember laughing with him. We find different things funny - I can often remember laughing at something on telly and him giving me strange looks because he didn't find it funny and vice versa (many many occasions). NCIS really amuses me - i really enjoy the humour in that, J likes the simpsons etc which I can not stand.
When you were in love with J, you laughed. Maybe not at the same things, in the same way. You laughed, ST. You laughed in his presence, and he in yours. You liked to see him tickled the way you like to be tickled.

Do new. So you can experience new. Don't cubbyhole him and then dun him for the very limitations you placed on him. He can't change or wow you if you do that. That's how you do it to yourself.

For every downward spiral we experience, there is also an upward spiral...and we rarely experience them. You began to get that...for a few weeks and more. Choose that again.
I can't imagine it. I can't picture me looking him in the eye.
Can you hear how harmful this is? You choose not to imagine it, picturing yourself acting from respect. You choose to do damage. Own that you do. Place you begin to doing differently.
Putting down the weapons might be a bit scary.
You're already afraid most of the time. Expectations address fear (self-deceptive that way). Are you saying that laying down the ways you hurt another human being is scarier, makes you MORE anxious? Or just another way of affirming you are anxious right now?

When your children are scared, feel pain, do you want them picking up weapons and lashing out with them, to get the other person to stop hurting them? When the other kid hurt them to get THEM to stop hurting them? I don't think so. I think you tell them to use their words, their power, have ownership and to act, not react. That's my guess.

I asked if YOU had made up...
and you answered:
What about an RC goal and a conversation goal?
For a moment, think of what is in your control and what isn't...RC takes both (and I gave you some suggestions) and so does Conversation. How about Affection? Solely your choice to act...and yes, SF takes both (mostly)...so my point flounders there.

What if you bit off part of something to make your own, instead of bigger stuff? Acts you'll hold yourself to do because you choose to love...not because you feel in love?

And you won't do (like the divorce appointment) because HE did...it's close to a boundary enforcement...may even feel like one. Except--you cannot be made to do anything...you choose. You can't teach/change/stop J from doing/not doing through your actions. You can make and enforce your boundaries around yourself and your actions. You are powerful...as powerful as he is, ST.

It's true. I promise. Even when it feels like a lie. And when it does...when he seems to be far more powerful than you...check to see how much of your power you are putting onto him, 'k?

LA

S
OP Offline
S
J found your post before me. I think he was moved,as I am too on an initial read through.

I will come back to it and I am sure we will discuss it.

The kids are staying up to watch the football with us,maybe an opportunity afterwards.

I might just go and sit close to him.

S
OP Offline
S
All this is obviously in my head and I am being a much nicer wifie.

M
M
ST,

When was the last time you guys went an entire day without any relationship talk?

Two days in a row?

Five days?

Mark

L
L
Would love an update...I don't understand your last post here.

Is that what you hear me saying, that's it's you, all your fault and all in your head?

Tough to face that extreme...and tough to live it for you, I think.

I'd like to know the answer to Mark's question, too...

And if you chose to go sit close to your spouse. And what you'll choose next.

You matter, so your choices matter.

LA

S
OP Offline
S
Would love an update...I don't understand your last post here.

I have been wanting to be clearer but I haven't had the opportunity to. Me being on the computer is a bit of a LB.

Is that what you hear me saying, that's it's you, all your fault and all in your head?
I hear you saying that progression at this point is largely limited by me. And that actually, I need to look at what I have got, rather than what I haven't and continue to look forward - as all good MBers should do.

Tough to face that extreme...and tough to live it for you, I think.
I'm not facing that extreme and I am going to live my part of it. There are still 2 people in this and i am willing to take responsibility for my part.

I'd like to know the answer to Mark's question, too...

hmmmmm - yes. Well, I think on the days that we were talking to each other and therefore exercising the jaw in conflict J would try the R talk -by stating it being over and we're never going to get anywhere. I would always ask to stop and let him know that I didn't want that conversation and for a long long time all I said was " you know I want us to stay together", I think I got sick of saying that and reverted to "it's your choice"

I suggested to him after I read Mark's post that could we avoid the R talk and he agreed. So we have now gone that many days since Marks's post without R talk and with doing some other type of talk (that's not to say that all our talk previously was R talk).

And if you chose to go sit close to your spouse. And what you'll choose next.
Maybe too much too soon... we went all the way (my suggestion) and I now feel uneasy and uncomfortable about that. Can't put my finger on why, but I know I'm having to work hard not to be standoffish again

You matter, so your choices matter.

S
OP Offline
S
Do you believe that you can fill a void in the abuse pattern with move/job change? Distraction is in part healing, giving time for humans to hear, maybe...still a part of the pattern of managing emotions instead of changing choices, I think. Your focus is stuck all over J...you made my question which was about you, a new void, about him and him resisting change.
This paragraph here gives me feeling of anxiety and I keep avoiding thinking about it. My focus is stuck on avoiding me and I think maybe J is the closest thing to get my focus. So, refocus on me.

Would you consider he's your mirror? You see more of your stuff through him than you do looking into yourself. You think you are too painful to examine, to know. Reasonable you then think J is the source of your anguish.
I think I am too painful to examine. I'm not sure I would consider him my mirror. I have certainly seen behaviours in him that I recognise in me that I have gone out of my way to change.

I see you seeing your pain, anger and frustration inside you as about J...which betrays you, says you are HIS creation, his result, not a whole, complete person with your own emotions, thoughts, beliefs, choices and actions. I read you as believing HIS actions mean more to the marriage than yours do...that he generates your feelings...he's the cause, control and cure for you.
I was messed up before J came along. I think soemthing you have hit upon here,isn't just about J. It's about events and relationships through my life. I can think of other things that maybe I have allowed to generate my feelings and kept them with me... actually how do you let them go? It sort of feels like dropping your guard

Can you really imagine carrying the weight of another person to that extent? Wouldn't it be crushing? Ask yourself...because you may be carrying all of his stuff...and calling it love...where you guys exchanged yourselves entirely.
It is crushing carrying the weight of another person. It's hard to see the line sometimes - where do you end and the next person start - and not necessarily just with J.

And when you take back what is solely yours, and hand back what isn't, then all your acts of love, meeting ENs, will add to your own love bank and you can see his deposits coming in, also.
The edges are really blurry and a bit messed up.

Not the all or nothing...you doing to make him feel so you can feel...that part eliminated. And your awareness will become keen when you are self-stabbing and putting the knife (figuratively) in J's hands. And when you're not.
This is really really hard. I struggled big time with this at the w/e. With this in mind and having tried over the w/e it feels so much easier to disconnect than connect.

Eliminating the LB in you that holds all those "shoulda-woulda-coulda" stuff. You do that. In your own head. And it's tricky, and wearing, and tiring. We sap our own strength when we're caught in that cycle...and it's a great replacement for the extreme abuse we no longer are receiving or handing out.
How do you let go of it?

Still abusive. Dr. Harley is all about creating habits and replacing destructive ones...you guys had a destructive habit...both of you...in your marriage...and it's not there anymore...not right now...and when you judge, rate and compare what J says to what you want him to be saying, you're putting bits of it back in. You assume your spouse, instead of partner him.
I know.... I hear myself doing it.

And none of what I'm saying will change J...make him better, nicer, more present, less negative...yet if you will do a personal reset in yourself, you will experience J as J truly is...different, new today. This is a J you don't know...none of our spouses are when we finally stop predicting them.
Thing is, it worked to some extent, he was less negative. BUt I was frustrated because I felt truly different but I didn't seemt o have a truly different effect. In fact at one point in the car I actually shouted "for goodness sake why don't you put your hand on my leg?" ME! actually wanting an affectionate touch

And act our love for them, instead.
Love? not sure I'm there yet.

No, I haven't. Will you ask him this, to really know if anything in my own experience resonates?
I haven't done this yet.

Also, will you consider what a common overlap it is, to believe love is making ourselves the cause, control and cure for what isn't ours?

Not the source of our spouse's happiness...the cause. Different. One is a supply, an offering...the other is the control of...so you want to make him NOT feel impatient, abandoned or discounted...rather than you knowing you are a source of acceptance, inclusion and respect. He will feel and you will feel...and separating those is how you get to know your half.
understood
You hear him say "We have no chance" and then his justification of today's feelings for way down the road maybe's. What if you heard him say "I'm afraid we'll have no chance" and it's wording? He's sharing HIS fear...and you're hearing only condemnation through negativity. Only you can adjust your hearing to test what your perception...he can't. Takes the goal of really knowing him or wanting him to be someone you want to know...your goal is in your own hands. Pick ones you want most, will be most proud of yourself.
I don't like this- I hate the glass half empty thing -I want to hear positve comments and I don't want to hear these fears at times of argument. I'm happy to hear them at other times, but not then.

You are worth knowing, ST. You're not bad or wrong, poorly made, inadequate or broken. You will do harm, though. We all do. The deepest harm is in refusing to look at ourselves and see where we are doing it and to whom. Because we damage ourselves when we are harming others, too. Never just goes one way.

And I think you believe that it does...that only J is doing harm to you...evidenced by you feeling pain, rejection, frustration and fear.
hmmmmmm

True
If your feelings truly are yours, and they are a result of your thoughts, perceptions, perspective...beliefs...then J is a source, not in control of your disappointment...you're half of it...your expectations matter...they give you your feelings...and his half is how his actions do and do not meet those...you gotta check your expectations for validity, if they are abusive to you, him and the marriage or not.
It wouldn't be the first time that I have had unmet expectations highlighted as a problem for me.

We will change our true goals, "I want to be crazy in love with my husband" to temporary ones, "If only he'd just come home on time tonight with a smile...that's all I want" and we crash and burn. We literally sabotage our greater goal and train our brains to not give us those love deposits...
makes sense.
And I don't read where you acknowledge and validate that this man hurts a lot.
nope. he's not allowed to.

He's saying it and you're hearing about you...instead of about him. Separate and equal...a phrase that really helped me get this...because when I was in so much pain, I COULDN'T see my H's...too much to hold...and so I didn't see how much harm I was doing to him, adding to his pain...wouldn't look. And all my pain I assigned to his actions, his doing, and not doing...and half was from my expectations
I know, I know it shouldn't,but I can actually see this a lot more clearly form where he is and that this could be written for him rather than me.

Computer time up. Will have to come back and look again at this another time.

Looking at this, there are clearly some things that I am willing to accept and others I am just not sure about.

L
L
Thank you for responding and updating.

Can you see this as a process...changing choices daily, progressively?

How I got rid of my "shoulds"...Each time I thought or said "should" I stopped (and my DH helped me)...I rephrased and said..."That's not what I want." Rephrased with truth..."I WISH you wouldn't or I wouldn't because that's not what I want."

Each time we said "I'll try" I stopped and said the truth..."I will do that" and held myself to it...or "I'm lying. I don't want to do that."

Funniest thing about being guarded in marriage...when you guard yourself, you attack the marriage...because you can't guard yourself against your partner without attacking your half of the marriage.

You are going to feel pain through a myriad of ways...neglect, rejection, inconsideration, thoughtless actions and words...and you will feel joy, intimate connectedness and contentment through a myriad of ways, too.

Well, that's if you really do marriage...it's all of it. Different times and ways...and your own boundaries/enforcements will help you through the tough times...determining yours and the marital ones (together with J) means you're both protecting your love for each other from LBs.

Not all or nothing...that's when you finally realize you are already safe.

Expectations are premeditated resentments (LostHusband)...so, they will persist and thrive long after a divorce rends your lives apart. We create, cultivate and our resentment...from not enforcing our boundaries and reacting to our feelings. Living backwards.

We can hate blame more than we love our spouses.

Ask J to help you right now...that you're in this terrible place inside and you need his help right now...ask for it. You know he's capable...he's the one you chose to grow and heal with...even for pain he didn't commit. He's that awesome, ST. Be that awesome.

LA

S
OP Offline
S
I was inspired LA. And I've been working hard. I invited him to go out and see a band tomorrow if we could get a babysitter, He said he'd like to. I was looking forward to it.

Tonight he says he doesn't want to because we need to sort things out: a new camera, our trip t Spain and DDs passport and then he says. "How are we going to pay for it? we haven't got that money. We can't go. I want to get a tow bar for the car instead"

And it makes me so cross and sad, because we have already accpeted our friend's invite to stay with them and have had the date for weeks and weeks and the children are really looking forward to their first trip on a plane - and yet again he certainly wasn't pushed into it.

So I explain how I feel and he says fine we'll go then.

But why would I go with him resenting the trip... all the from now until christmas whining about the money. And I know that's a DJ...

So, I've stopped talking to him again. Because I can not bare it when I am trying to be so positive and he puts a downer on a things. Just kills plans, when they're already made.

He wants to take the kids to a volley ball thing at the weekend, he knows that i'd really like to take part in his hobby with him. When I said "oh, I'll come too" he said "if you want to" in a "do you have to?" tone

I packed away the ironing board, so as to close that chapter. I got it back out again in just the 10mins I had before we left for school. I could have sat on the computer, but I thought it would make me feel better if I made the effort to do some. I don't feel better now.

This morning I was picking up dog poo in the garden - he came out to tell me where there was some more - the area the dog uses is only about 20' by 10' max. I was really annoyed that he assumed I wouldn't walk around that tiny patch - taking all of 10secs - to find the poo piles.

I am a resillient and tenacious person. I'm finding ithard to turn this around, because I'm still not sure that this can really be all about me.

S
S
I was inspired LA. And I've been working hard. I invited him to go out and see a band tomorrow if we could get a babysitter, He said he'd like to. I was looking forward to it.

Tonight he says he doesn't want to because we need to sort things out: a new camera, our trip t Spain and DDs passport and then he says. "How are we going to pay for it? we haven't got that money. We can't go. I want to get a tow bar for the car instead"
Can you afford it?

And it makes me so cross and sad, because we have already accpeted our friend's invite to stay with them and have had the date for weeks and weeks and the children are really looking forward to their first trip on a plane - and yet again he certainly wasn't pushed into it.

So I explain how I feel and he says fine we'll go then.
So he felt it was easier to give you what you wanted than to get what he wanted. This is why POJA is needed. You will both feel resentment with this behavior.

But why would I go with him resenting the trip... all the from now until christmas whining about the money. And I know that's a DJ...

So, I've stopped talking to him again. Because I can not bare it when I am trying to be so positive and he puts a downer on a things. Just kills plans, when they're already made.
So, he is punished with the silent treatment for mentioning that he is concerned about finances. You are concerned about finances regularly. Why not address the concern and look at the budget? POJA without the punishment and resentment.

He wants to take the kids to a volley ball thing at the weekend, he knows that i'd really like to take part in his hobby with him. When I said "oh, I'll come too" he said "if you want to" in a "do you have to?" tone
Things have been tough for a long time. He may not always "want" top spend extra time with you right now (you have been arguing and struggling for a long time). I imagine that his lovebank is near empty (I know yours is too). But, you have committed to be married now. So, you do what you need to do to fill the lovebanks and get back to a better place...

This morning I was picking up dog poo in the garden - he came out to tell me where there was some more - the area the dog uses is only about 20' by 10' max. I was really annoyed that he assumed I wouldn't walk around that tiny patch - taking all of 10secs - to find the poo piles.

I am a resillient and tenacious person. I'm finding ithard to turn this around, because I'm still not sure that this can really be all about me.
Of course it is not just you. But, you are the one here. So... back to your poo missy... (super cute dog btw).

Over it.
S
OP Offline
S
HI SS2

Spain, wasn't about me. It was him that said go for it. The money doesn't matter - we'd get by and in a few months would be ok again.

Now he's trying to insist that I go and see the band tonight without him. I wasn't going or the band - I was going because I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to go out togehter without too much pressure to have our focus on each other and because we would be able to discuss the band. He wanted us both to stay in to discuss things and that is what I have decided is the best thing for me to do. Just to demonstrate that the plan was to spend our first evening together this week doing something enjoyable and somehow workout how I'm going to do that now tonight.

Yeah and he is punished for putting a downer on things again when he has already agreed to them and for startiing relationship talk on several occasions when we'd agreed not to this week. My boundary.

So you think that even though he always moans that I don't want to spend time with him (and I blatantly do make an effort) that

M
M
We'll just sit here and hold our breath waiting for the rest of the last sentence...

No rush...

Take your time...

No reason to hurry...

S
OP Offline
S
oops... did i get distracted laugh

S
OP Offline
S
nope..

it's no good. I can't remember...

maybe it was something like: when it comes to it, he doesn't wan to spend any time on it either.

Taking more responsibility for what I am doing i destructive makes me more determined again to work on it.

Friday morning is my time out (despite looking after my niece) and I have been relective again...

went to the library and had a browse and a few books jumped out at me.

I want to read, because reading is a good way for me to open my mind and challenge my thinking and I think it does alter my thinking.

Anyone think that me reading is avoiding doing the work?

These are the book titles that jumped out at me:

"The inquisitive Mind" - would it be possible for us to liveon this earth in unthreaened peace. A joureny of the soul via the teachings of Christianity

"casting off" - finding faith for change. How to see spiritual and psychological homelessness as a potential cause for joy and celebration. Growing in Christian maturity so that home is not a fixed place but a dynamic way of being.

"stop arguing, strt talking" - the 10 point plan for couples in conlict

"understanding emotional problems" to help refelct and sort my own guilt, unhealthy anger, hurt

Page 36 of 42 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation