Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Zelmo
His cousin, Fred Willard, is no slouch , either. Wonder how much he can bench press.

I love Fred.

P
OP Offline
P
Z,

Read this thread.
It may help your "picker-outer" skills.

Z
Z
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Z,

Read this thread.
It may help your "picker-outer" skills.

In the words of "Rusty"(Oh, that Rusty) from "Mother Rules the Roost", "alri-ti-titey".
Pretty good SCTV skit, with Martin Short as Rusty.

A
A
Hi again Pep....

BH, 46
STBXWW, 41, Serial Cheater
D-Day #1 5-26-2006 (Our Wedding Aniversary)
D-Day #2 12-26-2007
D-Day #3 5-11-2008
Separated 1-5-2008
STBX filed for divorce March 2009
F
F
bump ^^

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
P
OP Offline
P
The crux of POJA
In marriage, your interests and your spouses interests should be considered simultaneously. One of you should not suffer for the benefit of the other, even willingly, because when either of you suffer, one is gaining at the other's expense. If you both care about each other, you will not let the other suffer so that you can have what you want. When you are willing to let the other sacrifice for you, you are momentarily lapsing into a state of selfishness that must somehow be corrected before damage is done. The Policy of Joint Agreement provides that correction.

F
F
I love it when great older threads are bumped. I really enjoyed this one. Thank you!

Me = BW
Dday = 12/1/09
P
OP Offline
P
Bump
dance2

S
S
I am a cancer .... tend to be fiercly loyal

Great thread�thank you. The Buyer-Renter-Freeloader concept is a great way to analyze and consider relationships, partners, and potential-partners (for those who are unmarried). Not to rain on anyone�s parade here but�

I read many references to astrological signs (and their supposed significance) made by multiple posters in this thread. Perhaps they were just harmless, tongue-in-cheek banter, but for anyone who might be tempted to believe that someone�s sign (their own or their partner�s or an OP�s) is in any way explanatory or meaningful�

Astrology is a form of divination based on superstition (the spurious belief that the natural movements and positions of celestial bodies in relation to the earth affects or �fates� human activities and behaviors). Its claims and predictions CANNOT be replicated in controlled, blinded studies or experiments & its practitioners are not reproducibly accurate beyond that of random chance alone. It is no more credible or valuable to human psychology than alchemy is to chemistry.

Astrology is a pseudo-science, ladies & gentlemen.

Pseudoscience is a methodology, belief, or practice that is claimed to be scientific, or that is made to appear to be scientific, but which does not adhere to an appropriate scientific methodology, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, or otherwise lacks scientific status. Oxford English dictionary

Astrology has no relevance to understanding ourselves or our place in the cosmos. Modern advocates of astrology cannot account for the underlying basis of astrological associations with terrestrial affairs, have no plausible explanation for its claims, and have not contributed anything of cognitive value to any field of the social sciences�

Many of the claims made about signs and personalities are vague and would fit many people under many different signs. Even professional astrologers, most of whom have nothing but disdain for sun sign astrology, can�t pick out a correct horoscope reading at better than a chance rate. Yet, astrology continues to maintain its popularity, despite the fact that there is scarcely a shred of scientific evidence in its favor�

(excerpts) http://www.skepdic.com/astrolgy.html

Beyond a silly diversion, its best to put away the horoscope and stick with actual facts.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
P
OP Offline
P
Nice lecture!
Interesting that you chose to comment on the small talk nonsense banter FROM 2005 .... and not the actual meat of this thread.

I agree.
Astrology is just for fun.
Now what?

Last edited by Pepperband; 07/03/10 02:01 PM.
S
S
If you re-read my post, I did comment (very favorably) at the outset on the "meat" of this thread. I would argue that the zodiac stuff was what was superfluous and off-point.

I also was careful to exclude "small talk nonsense banter" from what followed.

Finally, bumping this excellent thread (obviously for the benefit of those who hadn't read it before & those who might want a "refresher"), clearly brings old posts--including Dr. Harley's writings--back into the present for anyone who chooses to read it. Whether they were originally made 5 years ago or 5 days ago, is irrelevant...and there were multiple references made by multiple posters to nonsensical astrological associations that have no bearing or predictive value on the real life issues discussed on this site.

I apologize if I offended you.

BTW, I am "fiercly loyal" as well...and I am a scorpio.

xWW:
Secret LTA w/ thrice married OM at her workplace; EA/PA starts ~ 2005-6
Files & completes D - 2007, OM/OMW#3 D - 2007, Affairage - immediately thereafter
Disappears in 2006 w/o even a goodbye to anyone, Never a paragraph of real truth ever spoken
Me/xBH:
M "for life", Suspicions (denied) & desperate Plan A latter-half '06
1st D-day 1/07, full truth D-day 7/08 (all via 3rd parties)
NC w/ xWW 8/08-date, better off w/o unrepentant vileness, betrayal, & rampant deceit in my life anymore
P
OP Offline
P
I was annoyed, not offended.
But, I'm over it now.
kiss

S
S
WOW, thanx Pep. The hardest part for me is to realize that to be in a great Plan B, I have to become a RENTER. I know that I have and my WH have had BUYER personalities in the past, it hurts to realize that I HAVE to change what MY values and beliefs are. I have to be OKAY with DIVORCE. My stomach sinks just typing those words and I am still wearing my wedding ring. I get a small panic attack when I think about taking it off. I get MAD at people when they refer to my WH as my "ex." I KNOW that at some point, if WH doesn't come back to the marriage, I WILL have to divorce. I know this is a POSSIBLE outcome. This is a PROBABLE outcome based on a LTA and separation due to Plan B. My HEAD gets this, my heart WON'T let go. Not YET.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
H
Ok, I'm wondering where I fall in all this????

I was comitted to this marriage even though I was very unhappy. I wanted things to be better, but nothing change....I would never have cheated; I promised to love him for life even though I was not doing the best job. What was I? A buyer or a renter. I can see WH as renter because of his contant starting and stopping of everything in his life..IE

First Marriage
Second Marriage
Army (other than honorable discharge)
Starting a church
STarting a business
Law School
Marriage number three...me
golf
hunting
fishing

Everything started and when it lost it's fizzle, he was off to the next venture.

I guess he was a renter from the beginning. I'm confused about myself because I thought sacrifice was part of marriage.

I would take care of kids every weekend so he could play fishing and hunting....sacrifice
I worked while he tried everything to fill his holes....sacrifice
He was the heavy on discipline...and I buried head in sand. sacrifice?

I feel I sacrificed constantly in this marriage which definitely led to resentment...so maybe he will never come back since he was probably a renter from the beginning instead of a buyer.

I agree with poja but I don't see how a marriage never has sacrifice. I've really confused myself too.

BS: 41
WS: 52
Marriage 20 years on 6/9/10
Dday on 4/27/10
Husband moved out 5/12/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
P
OP Offline
P
No one said a marriage "never" has sacrifice.

But, sacrifice must be recognized as a hindrance to POJA.
The POINT is to minimize sacrifice and to learn to POJA instead of sacrifice.

Very few people are BUYERS right off the bat.
Most of us think/assume that sacrifice is a good thing in a marriage.
Most of us are renters initially.

I don't understand why you are beating yourself up about this.
The whole point is to learn and grow and change, not to drive ourselves crazy with the past mistakes we made before we knew better.

H
H
I'm not trying to beat myself up....just understand. The whole post is quite analytical, so I was trying to look at my own situation in the same way. I guess I was trying to decide which place I was in. I'll just keep reading...thanks

BS: 41
WS: 52
Marriage 20 years on 6/9/10
Dday on 4/27/10
Husband moved out 5/12/10
Plan B....5/21/10
DD 15
DS 11
DS 10
DS 7
M
M
smile Great Thread - Should be added to notable threads

S
S
Originally Posted by PrayIncessantly
smile Great Thread - Should be added to notable threads

Glad you posted on here, PI, as I would have never seen this thread. It's exactly what I needed in regards to some thoughts/questions I've had recently!

GREAT thread!

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

Pepperband #2592292 01/31/12 10:48 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Giver/Taker ....

What Dr Harley wants us to understand .....

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"It is tempting to consider the Giver as our caring nature and the Taker as our thoughtless nature.

But that's NOT what they are.

Actually, they are BOTH caring.

Your Giver cares for others

and

Your Taker cares for you"

" Both Giver and Taker also have their thoughtless sides.

Your Giver does NOT CARE how YOU feel.

and

Your Taker does NOT CARE how others feel. "

" In fact your Giver is willing to see YOU suffer even to the point of deep depression as long as you continue to care about others.

Your Taker is willing to see others suffer if it means you are happy or are prevented from suffering. "

"Because each of them ignores someone's feelings, they are both shortsighted. They fail to understand that you and others should be cared for and protected simultaneously, so that no one suffers"

M
M
Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders is by far an amazing book. I recommend everyone to read it especially if you still have a wayward in your life.

Harley is a very smart man!

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (still seeking), 368 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation