Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37
S
S
Originally Posted by Gack1
Wow.... dramaqueen
See, I just cant talk to them when they are this Foggy.
It's like a trigger to me.

Hee Hee...It is amazing how similar they all sound. She isn't broken yet. I hope she sticks around and learns a few things.

N
N
I agree on the painful thing, I was raped as a teen, and I can say without hesitation, my H affair was worse, I would be raped 5 times over then do this again. Also, I must say this post definatly screams me me me. If you really REALLY love your husband and want this marriage, then YOU have to put your BS first for a while, he needs time to heal. Marriage is a team thing not an individual thing. Give and take, not take take take. When you realize that I think things can get better but as long as you have a "selfish" type attitude, you wont get far. Definatly get your hubby to come here, and if you are TRUELY sincere about wanting your marriage, really start focusing on the damage you have done and how to grow a more healthy marriage.

Me: BW 35
Him: WH 36
DD: 7
DS: 1yr. M: 12yrs
DDay: Feb 10 2010
**Always speak your mind.....even if your voice shakes**
S
OP Offline
S
I read enough of the website where I got the impression that raging at the BS is not considered helpful and I thought what I was asking was how to protect myself from his rage such that further damage is not done to the marriage. The wisdom of the forum seems to be that I forfeited any right to set boundaries on how he talks to me and I should simply endure.

I have never and will never shirk responsibility for the decision I made to have an A. I was trying to explain the issues with me that factored into that decision. I'm not a puppy, nor am I an idiot. I failed to take care of my emotional well being by being assertive with my H and kids and set some meanindul boundaries. I'm a giver - I will go to,ridiculous lengths to keep my family happy no matter how miserable it makes me. And I never say word. But you cannot give from an empty plate. My H has nor been emotionally supportive or available for the last several years and he admits it. He also admits he has been hypercritical and controlling of me -doesnt want me to leave the house or have friends -- and I'm talking about prior to the A. I am NOT trying to justify my conduct -I am describing the context in which I made a terrible decision. I chose to go to another man for an emotional fill up because I was way past empty. Wasn't looking for it - and I know there's going to be a chorus of yes you were but no, I wasn't. I said no to the other man right up until the time I said yes.

Being pursued is intoxicating and likening it to drug addiction is dead on. Possibly if it hadn't been this guy who I met quite randomly and would never normally encounter - he lives in Europe half the time - it would have been someone else later. But I doubt it. I think I would have limped along keeping my H and kids happy, living an internal life of resentment and misery, until one day I died.

I thought maybe the A might be a catalyst for a different kind of marriage. 5 hours ago when I posted here I was guardedly optimistic. But there's no hope- his rage requires that he annihilate me and if I put up any sort of fight at all I'm not acknowledging his pain or I'm making making excuses. I'm now toast.

And Mr. Pity Party - I'd be careful in the future - you don't have the faintest idea what is going on in the lives of those who are closest to you for the most part, much less someone who is posting on a website on such an emotionally charged issue. You should be mindful of the damage you can do with your contempt and dismissiveness - "I'm going to sit back and watch this one." I recognize cruelty when I see it and having bared my soul looking for collective wisdom, I read that and gave up.

You are responsible for ALL your decisions, including your decision to deride me.

I better just shut up and take whatever he dishes out then. I'm extremely

WS
M: 25 years
D21, S19, S15

Rome wasn't built in a day -- but it was built.
S
OP Offline
S
Smilingwoman, is broken the goal?

WS
D21, S19, S15

S
S
Originally Posted by saddestwife
I read enough of the website where I got the impression that raging at the BS is not considered helpful and I thought what I was asking was how to protect myself from his rage such that further damage is not done to the marriage. The wisdom of the forum seems to be that I forfeited any right to set boundaries on how he talks to me and I should simply endure.

I have never and will never shirk responsibility for the decision I made to have an A. I was trying to explain the issues with me that factored into that decision. I'm not a puppy, nor am I an idiot. I failed to take care of my emotional well being by being assertive with my H and kids and set some meanindul boundaries. I'm a giver - I will go to,ridiculous lengths to keep my family happy no matter how miserable it makes me. And I never say word. But you cannot give from an empty plate. My H has nor been emotionally supportive or available for the last several years and he admits it. He also admits he has been hypercritical and controlling of me -doesnt want me to leave the house or have friends -- and I'm talking about prior to the A. I am NOT trying to justify my conduct -I am describing the context in which I made a terrible decision. I chose to go to another man for an emotional fill up because I was way past empty. Wasn't looking for it - and I know there's going to be a chorus of yes you were but no, I wasn't. I said no to the other man right up until the time I said yes.

Being pursued is intoxicating and likening it to drug addiction is dead on. Possibly if it hadn't been this guy who I met quite randomly and would never normally encounter - he lives in Europe half the time - it would have been someone else later. But I doubt it. I think I would have limped along keeping my H and kids happy, living an internal life of resentment and misery, until one day I died.

I thought maybe the A might be a catalyst for a different kind of marriage. 5 hours ago when I posted here I was guardedly optimistic. But there's no hope- his rage requires that he annihilate me and if I put up any sort of fight at all I'm not acknowledging his pain or I'm making making excuses. I'm now toast.

And Mr. Pity Party - I'd be careful in the future - you don't have the faintest idea what is going on in the lives of those who are closest to you for the most part, much less someone who is posting on a website on such an emotionally charged issue. You should be mindful of the damage you can do with your contempt and dismissiveness - "I'm going to sit back and watch this one." I recognize cruelty when I see it and having bared my soul looking for collective wisdom, I read that and gave up.

You are responsible for ALL your decisions, including your decision to deride me.

I better just shut up and take whatever he dishes out then. I'm extremely

You aren't listening...you are too busy being angry at everyone. LISTEN. There are vets on these boards who can help you save you from yourself and possibly save your marriage. But you MUST drop the defensiveness and LISTEN.

S
S
Smilingwoman, is broken the goal?

When you stop all the justifications and defensiveness you will start to LISTEN. And I don't mean broken as in worthless....I mean admitting that you are broken. You ARE broken..you just won't admit it. I read a quote here the other day..Without humility there can be no remorse.

You do not appear to have any humility.

S
S

Now THIS is a another issue. It didn't stand out in your first post. If he is raging and violent then get away from him. Is he normally this way? Or is his rage limited to this horrible thing that you have done to him?

S
OP Offline
S
The gratuitous cruelty on this website is indefensible - sorry smiling woman - I'm not sticking around to be "broken" for your and your buddies entertainment.

Some of you had great thinfs to say that helped me clarify and I thank you. It is quite clear who wanted to sincerely help no matter how hard their worda are to read. It is also easy to identify the sick souls who get off on other peoples pain.

I am so out of here

WS
D21, S19, S15

S
S
The gratuitous cruelty on this website is indefensible - sorry smiling woman - I'm not sticking around to be "broken" for your and your buddies entertainment.

Some of you had great thinfs to say that helped me clarify and I thank you. It is quite clear who wanted to sincerely help no matter how hard their worda are to read. It is also easy to identify the sick souls who get off on other peoples pain.

I am so out of here

That is too bad. For you. JustLearning and Writer had really good things to say to you. You aren't listening.

And like I said, 'you are already broken...you just can't admit it yet.' Even though you are arrogant and foggy people here would be happy to help you. You aren't our entertainment. It is just that we have seen it all before. That is hard to take isn't it? That you are a run of the mill Wayward Wife. That your adultery partner is a run of the mill cheater. That your adultery isn't special.

Humility. That is what will show you know you are broken and that YOU need help to fix YOU.

R
R
Originally Posted by GloveOil
At the core, I did it because I felt entitled & I was selfish. It was easier for me to enjoy the attentions of a woman who lavished attention on me, than to do the hard emotional spadework with my wife that could've shored up our marriage.

I agree with this 100%. Nicely put. (And, by the way, I am a wayward wife... well, former wayward wife... I'm new here so still learning all these abbreviations.)

Last edited by Redeem_Me; 07/09/10 08:50 PM.
R
R

I am so out of here

Saddestwife,

I'm sorry that you have to be here, but please keep in mind that if you really want to have a great marriage, this is the best place to be. I promise you that even though some of them sound harsh, they are telling you the REAL truth!!!

You know, don't feel bad, you are not alone. We all(Wayward spouses) sounded the same at the beginning, no distinction. It has taken me almost 8 months to realize this. And the worst is, that when you realized it, you will feel as stupid as I do right now! You will realize that being foggy doesn't mean that you are still in contact with the OM, it means that YOU just don't get it yet. And you'll know when you are de-fogged when you start reading newly threads and wonder what the hell are they thinking!

Now, as I re-read surviving an affair, or other books by Dr. H, I understand them in a different way. But keep in mind, working on fixing your marriage,being super happy and in love with your BH again, is not going to be easy. It's a lot of work, an somedays you'll want to run away, an others you'll love your H. But if you keep focus, and READ and LISTEN to what this people have to say, you'll be on the right path to recovery. I hope you do.

Best of luck... and be strong, I still get 2x4's from time to time. Melodylane is keeping an eye on me at all times!!!

FWW (Me)- 39 Rizos
FBH (ELCamino)- 39
DD 8, DD 6
D-Day 8Jul2009

Working on trying to get a second chance. Plan A!
H
H
I gather this thread is not meant for the betraying spouse. If anyone knows of a thread point me to it.

Check out the thread titled "Extraordinary Precautions" for starters. It's was bumped today for another WW. Then see if you can find Pepperbands "Noteable Posts" thread, it is great to read.

I ordered the books earlier this week.

I'm assuming you ordered "Surviving an Affair". I would start there and then recommend moving to "Fall In Love, Stay In Love".

It was never my intention to discount his pain. I recognize that an affair trumps everything.

That's not how your first post sounded at all!

I'm willing to tell him the details if he wants to hear but not if he is going to get violent again.

Did he strike you? Or what?

I've seen this "violent" word used frequently by wayward wives, only to find out that their husband was screaming and visibly angry.

I think, screaming, yelling, crying, throwing things, punching a wall can all be catagorized as pretty normal after having your heart ripped out!

My short term thinking has been to do no more damage to him, me or our marriage.

I would expect this to be a LONG term goal as well.

I came to this forum expecting some help on setting boundaries on what a productive discussion might look like. I get back "foggy" and "pity party" and I want to protect myself at his expense. Really? And you get to say that because you know so much about me? Or is it because you are mad that a cheating spouse had the nerve to post here looking for help?

<cough> uhm, I'm a former wayward myself.... you know, a cheating spouse like yourself that has had the nerve to post too.

I'm the cheating spouse that even said you were having a pity party! I've had pity parties too and they sounded identical to the one you had in your first post.... Sorry for callin it like I see it. But someone truly interested in help would not be so quick to give up or quit so soon unless they were really just looking to have a pity party to start with.... <shrug>

What am I willing to do? Anything up to becoming suicidal again.

Can you be any more dramatic? dramaqueen

Seriously, I was looking for some concrete answers, real examples of what you are willing to do??

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
G
G
Hi, SW. Before you jump much farther into your quagmire, you should take a look at my thread, and the posts of my wife, SadSoSad, who later became MadSoMad, and now is known as DancesWithGoats. See what I was and what I did and what I posted when I first came to this site, and you will understand why people are being harsh with you. Every one of those people told me exactly what I needed to hear and what I am still understanding more completely each day.

From what I can see, you and your husband both need this place and the understanding that these wise and experienced people have to offer you. You are not getting the sympathy that you were seeking, but you are deep asleep and getting doused with cold water immersion therapy. You have to wake up before you can start to think clearly. Neither you nor your husband apparently have had any concept of what marriage is. You are like millions of others who have grown up worshipping at the altar of self. In a marriage, there is no separate self except for the binary entity of a married couple. If you are not ready to give up the separate self, you might as well close up shop, end the marriage, and leave this place. Do you want to recover? Do you want to learn what marriage actually is? Do you want to do the work? Or do you just want a place where people will make you feel better about yourself? It is entirely up to you.

FWH, age 63. 24 years of narcissistic behavior, infidelity, and emotional abandonment of my BS, age 57, DancesWithGoats (DWG). D-day two years ago, leading to emotional breakdown. Been working MB program and toward spiritual transformation and personal growth since then, with some slow but real progress. DWG still with no trust, but with grief starting to subside a bit.
J
J
So melodramatic. Snap out of it. Okay, we get it, you were a giver. So instead of telling your BH we have a problem and that he needs to start giving back, you didn't say anything and chose the passive agressive route and had an affair. Quit blaming your husband. You are 50% to blame for the state of the marriage before the affair. If you were so miserable before the affair, it is your responsibility to tell your husband so you can fix things. Is he supposed to be a mind reader? If you have a problem in the marriage, you need to tell your BH. No more being a conflict avoider. You got yourself into this situation, and you are solely to blame for your affair. Instead of "worrying about losing yourself in the marriage" again, why don't you focus your energy on how to make your marriage good using MB principles. If in the future your needs are still not being met and you are miserable, the answer is to get a divorce, not start an affair. You have been haunted by your own poor choices. If you don't start making better choices, you will continue to be miserable.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
P
P

I am so out of here

This is so telling.
The "gratuitous cruelty" that you are experiencing .... is honesty.

Honesty is what was missing from your M, pre-adultery.
Honesty is what is missing from your M, post-adultery.

A person who self identifies as a "giver" is usually dishonest.
The GIVER is dishonest about their needs.
The GIVER is dishonest about their motives.
The GIVER is dishonest about their ever-growing resentment.
The GIVER is so dishonest, that the GIVER allows other people to hurt them.

Dishonesty is pretending to your spouse that there is no problem with the way your spouse treated you pre-adultery.
If it was cruel or abusive, it was dishonest of you to remain in that situation.

Dishonesty is pretending that you are doing something noble by NOT enforcing your boundary about controlling or abusive behaviors.

A WS ( especially a female adulterer) who says she lost her identity during the M is suffering because she was dishonest about who she is, which is both a GIVER and a TAKER.

A WW who gives until it hurts, has no boundaries of her own.
A wife without boundaries is low hanging fruit for the OM.

You had NO BOUNDARIES and took on the role of a GIVER in your M.
That became your identity. The wife and mother who is SO GOOD, she sacrifices day in and day out.

But, dear sad wife, every TAKER has her say, one way or another.
Your TAKER came out with a vengeance.
Your TAKER wanted her needs met. So, she had an affair.
Your TAKER threw your GIVER ( who is your self-proclaimed identity ) under the bus.

THIS is why you feel you've lost your identity.
Your TAKER stripped her naked.

You exposed your "I am a GIVER" to be a false identity.

To be continued ......

P
P
...... Continuing .....

THE GOOD TAKER (written by Starfish)

The Giver is the part of you that follows the rule: do whatever you can to make the other person happy and avoid anything that makes the other person unhappy, even if it makes you unhappy. It's the part of you that wants to make a difference in the lives of others, and it grows out of a basic instinct that we all share, a deep reservoir of love and concern for those around us.

But the Giver is only half of the story. The other half is the Taker. It's the part of you that follows the rule: do whatever you can to make yourself happy and avoid anything that makes yourself unhappy, even if it makes others unhappy. It's the part of you that wants the most out of life, and it grows out of your basic instinct for self-preservation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The giver is all about love and concern and the taker is our selfish side...so how can the giver be bad, or the taker be good?

Everybody recognizes the "good" in the giver and how giving can enhance relationships, but here's how a "bad" giver can ruin your marriage if all your marital choices are made solely selflessly:

*your giver is not honest....he won't tell your spouse what you need because he more concerned about your spouse feels, whether your spouse gets his needs met, than protecting your interests or your feelings. If your spouse asks the giver if it's okay to do something....even something you don't want to do...the giver says okay.

*your giver is the one who creates resentment...all that dishonesty cloaked in care....leads to misunderstandings, mixed signals, missed opportunities. The giver thinks...my spouse should KNOW what I need....just like I know what he needs.

*your giver is your martyr....endless giving creates the ever suffering spouse. Givers are praised for their selflessness, but they become very unhappy until all that's left is to somehow enjoy the pain....and get what secondary gain that offers.

*givers avoid risk and change...no rocking the boat...who knows what could happen? Nope, givers like safety....even when that involves enduring discomfort.

*givers believe in unconditional love...because they don't ask for conditions. They just give.

*givers handle your tender emotions...fear, sadness, care, consideration. They also tend to be weepy and needy.

We all know how "bad" the taker can be....afterall he's the guy who makes selfish demands, angry outbursts and most of our other LBs. But how can the taker be "good"?

*your taker is the guy you need at the negotiation table....because your giver will NOT create harmony, fairness, honesty in the dealings. Without your taker, your giver will create an environment of sacrifice....leading to resentment, anger and loss of love.

*your taker is honest about what you need and gives your spouse the information to CHOOSE to show you he loves you in the way that you would like it. He doesn't require mind reading...he lays it on the table.

*your taker fights for what you need and doesn't let you sit home three weekends in a row...he makes sure you're part of the fun.

*your taker is not an enabler or codependent.

*your taker saves your marriage as often as your giver does by making sure that reciprocity exists.

*your taker is willing to take risks and make changes.

As an example, I'd like to put forward my own marriage and how my giver undermined the happiness in my marriage for years. I NEVER went into negotiations with my taker....so I never even got close to getting what I wanted. I always put my husband first. But I wasn't happy. I didn't like it.....and I BLAMED HIM for not giving me what I wanted even though I wasn't honest and he didn't know how to please me. There is no negotiation without the taker...the giver just says "fine", do what you want. I lived with resentment every time he did what he wanted. I punished him for it too. And I was not someone who he would want to spend time with in the future either because I was pretty much angry all the time.

Letting my taker out saved my marriage. Oh to be sure, I couldn't let my taker rant and rage....but once he wasn't in chains all the time, he was far less volatile. My taker is the one who found out that my husband was actually willing and pretty enthusiastice about negotiation. Instead of the old pattern...H wants to do something...I say yes...then treat him badly. The new pattern goes like this....H wants to do something, I tell him how I might feel enthusiastic about that...we come to an agreement about how we can both get what we need....and I treat him well...and we both have fun! He gets to enjoy his activities without guilt. I know that I won't be neglected because we have also made plans together.

P
P
So now I am faced with the prospect of trying to fix things without losing myself in the process. And losing my sense of self -- becoming essentially invisible in the marriage -- is the primary reason I had an affair to start with. I've read a lot about why women cheat, and in the end, at least in my case, I don't think it's rocket science. It didn't take much -- the other man was nice to me. My psychiatrist says I am like a puppy -- put out a bowl of warm milk for me and I'll love you forever.

Your prior "sense of self" depended upon your sacrifice and appearing to have no needs.
I say; "Good riddance!"

H obviously now has the moral high ground

Here it is, right here .... YOU assume you had the "moral high ground" prior your adultery .... Because you assumed that being the ultimate GIVER gave you " moral high ground".
No, that is simply not true.
Moral high ground is not achieved by dishonesty or continuous sacrifice.

If you want some moral high ground, try honesty.

I am terrified that I will return to my prior state of invisible doormat because I feel such guilt and shame. I can't go back there though -- I'll die, and I mean that quite literally.

Your status as THE GIVER is lost.
Again, good riddance !
She was a fake.
She was make-believe. As in, make believe I have no needs.

But bear in mind, I hated myself before I strayed.

This self hatred was a product of YOUR dishonesty, not the way your BH treated you.

The three weeks after H left were possibly the most contented of my entire life because I could be me and he wasn't around to tell me all of the things that are wrong with me.

You could be you ~~~~> a woman who does not require honesty in her relationships.
All alone, you require no honesty with yourself.
All alone, you require no honesty with BH.
Also, all alone, you require no honesty with OM .... Which was NEVER an honest relationship to begin with.

In my opinion, the only thing more damaging to a M than an affair is contempt.

No, it is dishonesty.
The dishonest spouse is THE most damaging contributor to the demise of the M.

Please someone tell me how to protect myself while allowing him to vent.

Try being honest.
Try taking the questionnaires found at the top of the page, in the red area that contains links.

P
P
Link to EN questionnaire

Both you and BH take this.
And then share your answers with each other.

Answer with complete HONESTY.

P
P
When you and BH are done discussing the EN questionnaires ...
Take the LOVE BUSTER questionnaires. Please note, these are gender specific.

Now, THAT is something "to do" to protect yourself from falling back into your previous mis-steps of becoming the martyr in your relationships.

Best of luck to you.

I sincerely hope you take my advice and do these questionnaires with your husband.
Doing that, is a step towards an honest marriage.

Dishonesty kills love.
Remember that.

P
P
Dishonesty ~~~> leads to
I am a martyr ~~~> leads to
I have the moral high ground ~~~> leads to
My H is controlling and abusive ~~~> leads to
Going outside the M to have your needs met

Discovery of adultery ~~~> leads to
I lost my moral high ground ~~~> leads to
I hate myself ~~~> leads to
More dishonesty from your GIVER ~~~> leads to

Divorce

Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation