Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30
M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
I probably would let him has DS early though.

I don't think his attorney's letter and his recent nastiness should be a factor in whether he has a little extra time w/ DS

The biggest factor is that he is taking ds out of town with OW. You think I should set that aside and let him have him early?

I know. I would let him have the time, yeah.

And then I'd go out and do something fabulous for myself.

ETA:You've already stated you can't stop him from taking OW w/ him on vacation. I wouldn't give him exactly what he wants, but I'd bend a little bit.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 07/15/10 12:06 PM.
T
T
Before you bend, realize that whatever you do will establish a precedent. Be sure of the precedent you want to establish, before you commit to either direction.

tl

M
M
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Before you bend, realize that whatever you do will establish a precedent. Be sure of the precedent you want to establish, before you commit to either direction.

tl

Good point.

Maybe you could say, "I will allow you to have extra time THIS time, but would like to know about your wanting extra time at least a week in an advance from now on."

T
T
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
Originally Posted by thndrnltng

tl

Good point.

Maybe you could say, "I will allow you to have extra time THIS time, but would like to know about your wanting extra time at least a week in an advance from now on."

"But I must know about your wanting extra time at least a week in advance from now on." Put this in writing, probably via text, and save it. This man does NOT sound like the sort of person to whom you want to give any wiggle room whatsoever.

tl

S
S
Your ex came late for your son at the waterpark so your son could have extra time with you. He came back with your keys when he could have told you no. Why not return the favor and let him have a little extra time with his son? He is not being unreasonable according to what you have said IMO. You want him to feel sorry for what he has done and make life easier for you to show repentance. But, at the same time, your unwillingness to show any kindness towards him prevents him from feeling anything but justified - and it fans his anger towards you. You could relax a little and gain a lot.

And, having a lot less contact is necessary. It bears repeating because while you "say" you are prepared to de-escalate, your actions show otherwise.

Over it.
S
S
My lawyer told me to be very careful about any changes to my visitation agreement. Get everything in writing, any changes, even if they seem insignificant. Make sure it is common knowledge that this time is 'extra', not part of a regularly scheduled visitation. You just cannot trust right now.

Me-BS-38
Married 1997; son, 8yo
Divorced April 2009
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by silentlucidity
My lawyer told me to be very careful about any changes to my visitation agreement. Get everything in writing, any changes, even if they seem insignificant. Make sure it is common knowledge that this time is 'extra', not part of a regularly scheduled visitation. You just cannot trust right now.

See, I'm getting conflicting advice....bend a little to stop the escalation, don't give an inch or he will take a mile...

If I do allow him to go how do I word the email? Also, how do I address how much of this is 'X-tra' time vs. part of the 3 weeks worth of vacation. I don't want to give up a lot of Fridays with my son and realize later I still have to let him go on MORE vacations.

B
B
Still Standing said exactly what I was trying to say but a lot better and nicer. You could always say to him:

"Thanks for letting him stay longer at the water park so now I am going to let him stay longer at your place".

It takes two people to create an ugly and inflexible situation for the boy. You can refuse to trust him and still be civil, communicative, and kind. For the child's sake be civil and do not play manipulative games even if you do hate your ex for what he did.

From the gist of your postings, I gather that about 80% of your waking hours are spent:

1. Analyzing your husband
2. Figuring out how to get even with him
3. Trying to figure out how to keep your son away from the OW
4. Trying to figure out everything

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Bubbles4U
Still Standing said exactly what I was trying to say but a lot better and nicer. You could always say to him:

"Thanks for letting him stay longer at the water park so now I am going to let him stay longer at your place".

It takes two people to create an ugly and inflexible situation for the boy. You can refuse to trust him and still be civil, communicative, and kind. For the child's sake be civil and do not play manipulative games even if you do hate your ex for what he did.
From the gist of your postings, I gather that about 80% of your waking hours are spent:

The bolded part is my goal...which is why I spend so much of my time analyzing my XH and trying to figure out everything.

S
S
toe tap What happened to 5 word max? Okay, j/k.

I know you are fighting to keep your son away from OW, BUT(you knew there would be a BUT)he has already been around her. It is AWFUL to know that your son spends time around OW. I get that. It SUCKS. You can only control what YOU do.

As far as if you should send your son early, you know why you are wavering. Your giver part wants to say, "Sure." Your taker part, OTOH, wants to say, "F%^& YOU." Maybe the best response is something in the middle, as others have suggested.

Anyone can be dark, you just have to choose it for yourself. smile It really is much better. The only reason I know is because of the things I feel when I have let the curtain slip.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
H
SM,

Always remember what your goals are which usually get lost in all the pain and drama that the WS creates.

As most BS, we want to protect our kids from the OP because they are not interested in the best interest of our children but their own self entitlement.

Stick with the decree guidelines and then it takes all of the drama from XH.

Not sure if you hate your XH or if you still have love for him which is ok. Nothing to be ashamed of if you do.

Protect your son in the best way you can do with little or no drama in spite of XH...
Work on being the Goddess you are...
Plan your vacation with your son to NYC...

When you start living your live without thinking of what your XH would think then you are detaching by living well with your own little family.

Living well will be the best way for XH to pause and realize what he has lost.

Blessings.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
S
S

The bolded part is my goal...which is why I spend so much of my time analyzing my XH and trying to figure out everything.

Really? It doesn't seem that way from your posts. It does seem like you want to get even and make him pay - which I understand. However, I have been divorced and been through the child custody battles. It doesn't serve your recovery process in the long run to fixate on your ex or argue over every little detail. If your goal is to run your bank account empty and make your lawyer rich, keep fighting over 15 minutes and barbeque grills. You are not "analyzing" your ex. You are still angry and want justice.

...which is why you need less contact.

Over it.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Scotland
toe tap What happened to 5 word max? Okay, j/k.

I know you are fighting to keep your son away from OW, BUT(you knew there would be a BUT)he has already been around her. It is AWFUL to know that your son spends time around OW. I get that. It SUCKS. You can only control what YOU do.

As far as if you should send your son early, you know why you are wavering. Your giver part wants to say, "Sure." Your taker part, OTOH, wants to say, "F%^& YOU." Maybe the best response is something in the middle, as others have suggested.

Anyone can be dark, you just have to choose it for yourself. smile It really is much better. The only reason I know is because of the things I feel when I have let the curtain slip.

I am having trouble letting him go early without engaging in a conversation with XH.

He asked for vacation time this weekend....but it is already his weekend and the only extra he is asking for is from 6:00 p.m. Saturday to 2:00 p.m. Sunday...(ds comes home during that time every weekend that he sees his dad) Now he is asking for another extra day by getting him early on Friday when he is not due to get him until 6:00 p.m. on Friday.

I also let him go early on Friday 2 weeks ago....

I'm just confused....I don't want to set up a situation where ds goes early with his dad every visitation weekend. It interupts our life too much.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by stillstanding2

Really? It doesn't seem that way from your posts. It does seem like you want to get even and make him pay - which I understand. However, I have been divorced and been through the child custody battles. It doesn't serve your recovery process in the long run to fixate on your ex or argue over every little detail. If your goal is to run your bank account empty and make your lawyer rich, keep fighting over 15 minutes and barbeque grills. You are not "analyzing" your ex. You are still angry and want justice.
...which is why you need less contact.

So what is the alternative? To let him send me nasty letters via his attorney about violating visitation times and let him bring ds home late if he wants? And then say sure when he wants him a day early? To just let him have what he wants of our marital property? To just let him get away with not paying me alimony for the month of June?

As it has always been...he is a bully and wants everything his way.

I have no love for him. I haven't for a long time. I do think I hate him which is not where I want to be either. I am just trying to do the right thing by my son and I don't think I am.

S
OP Offline
S
His attorney says in her letter...

'My client wants the issue of custody and visitation followed strictly.'

Everytime I read that I cannot see letting him have ds10 8-10 hours early.

But when I think of what I naturally want to do---which is cut and past that line and email XH saying, 'I will have ds to your home Friday at 6:00 in order to strictly comply with the custody and visitation order.'

But I don't think that is right either.

S
S
So what is the alternative? To let him send me nasty letters via his attorney about violating visitation times and let him bring ds home late if he wants? And then say sure when he wants him a day early? To just let him have what he wants of our marital property? To just let him get away with not paying me alimony for the month of June?

As it has always been...he is a bully and wants everything his way.

I have no love for him. I haven't for a long time. I do think I hate him which is not where I want to be either. I am just trying to do the right thing by my son and I don't think I am.

The alternative is to treat this as civilly and rationally as possible. You got a nasty letter via his attorney because you tried to stop him from vacationing with his son. He was abiding by the divorce decree by getting a separate room for the POSOW. I understand how you feel. However, you have to be smarter about this and choose battles that you can actually win in court. You knew that you were not in the legal "right" when you told him no. You forced him to bring in his attorney.

Is he a bully because you can't be reasoned with? By your own account, he has been flexible with you. He has also been nasty while doing it. You and he are not nice to each other. It is unlikely that will change anytime soon - unless you have LESS CONTACT.

Over it.
S
S
His attorney says in her letter...

'My client wants the issue of custody and visitation followed strictly.' He made allowances for you at the waterpark. I'm sure his attorney would have told him to pick up his son on time. He didn't have to bring your keys back either.

Everytime I read that I cannot see letting him have ds10 8-10 hours early. His attorney wrote this. Both of your attorneys will word things to pit the two of you against each other. Attorneys make more money when they keep people adversarial.

But when I think of what I naturally want to do---which is cut and past that line and email XH saying, 'I will have ds to your home Friday at 6:00 in order to strictly comply with the custody and visitation order.'

But I don't think that is right either. Do what is right. It will save you money and your son will be happier. You might be happier eventually too.

Over it.
S
S
You will have to live with whichever way you choose. I think that if you went into a plan B and went dark your feelings and thoughts would be much clearer.

No one is telling you to be a doormat. We are trying to figure out how to help you. You did ask for help with this.

If you really want to be different, why don't you try seeing things from a different POV. If the way you were doing things didn't work for you, do something different. You can always change your mind.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
H
H
I am just trying to do the right thing by my son and I don't think I am.

Then what would be the right thing for your son? That would be your goal. Need to break down that goal...

Keep your son away from the drama
Have his best interest and happiness always
Be silent to your son about XH
When a decision is made then just tell your son what arrangements are in place.

Our kids sense when we are upset and in turmoil. It does have a negative impact on them. I have learned with DD16 that we do not talk about XH unless she is the one to bring him up. She is in her own Plan B at this time and not sure when or if it will ever change.

Blessings.

Last edited by hope3343; 07/15/10 02:23 PM.

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
S
S
How about:
I want to honor the custody agreement but I appreciate that you were flexible at the waterpark and I don't mind if you pick up ds early this weekend. I think it would make ds happy. We can get back to our regular schedule next week.

Over it.
Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 446 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation