Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
M
M
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
So when the WW judges if the request is "fair" or not isn't she acting as a renter according to your definition.

One consequence of a WW having an affair is she just may turn her BH from the buyer he was before she had her affair into a renter.

Let's assume we had two buyers in the marriage. The WW is the first to go "renter" and says because I'm not getting my needs met, it's only "fair" for me to go outside my marriage. She may even be freeloader. Certainly she's no longer a buyer.

Exactly. You now understand how destructive the notion of "fairness" is and how that renters practice can lead to affairs, etc. That is how it works, the renter will make sacrifices. And when equal sacrifices ["fairness"] are not forthcoming, the renter feels ENTITLED to keep score. This is how many affairs begin: with the thinking that "by God, I have given and given so now it is my turn!!!"

The solution is to END renters practices, not to indulge them. The couples have to learn to never do anything without the enthusiastic agreement of the other.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

E
E
Understand. Yet the emotional cost Dr H talks about is a form of sacrifice. Otherwise, he wouldn't call for plan A to be of a fixed period.

So while plan A isn't about making sacrifices, plan A is a form of sacrifice itself. I think you would have a hard time proving that plan A is not a form of sacrifice. I believe it is. One in plan A is giving to their spouse without expectation of anything in return. That is Dr H's definition of sacrifice.

But it has a definite end because Dr H knows that sacrifice is not a sustainable way to run an ongoing marriage.

I'm not suggesting that the WS make sacrifices. What I am suggesting is they may have to be in the plan A stage, which is meeting EN's and avoiding LB's without expectation of anything in return for a period of time.

I see so many asking about what the BH is doing, is he engaging in 15+ hours, or meeting needs.

I agree, the BH will have to ultimately get on board with those things. I've never argued against that. What I have asked about, and it's not been answer to my satisfaction is how does the WW provide credible evidence when the evidence the BH has indicates she is not credible?

How does she provide a convincing case of the value of being a buyer in the marriage when she's demonstrated something far less than being a buyer in her own actions?

E
E
Originally Posted by markos
Again, sacrifice is called for in extreme situations.

Let me find the reference. I believe Dr H. has referred to plan A as a calculated sacrifice, or something that has the same essential meaning.

And if a woman calculates and discovers this would still be a net loss, you think the sacrifice is still called for?

Nope, if she thinks the affair partner is worth more than her husband, then she's not even going to consider her husband, regardless how well he plan A's.

Now I don't think a WW or WH is in any place to make a sound judgment. But we are not allowed to judge for them.

Any WW, WH, BW or BH can do the marriage calculus and decide if their spouse is worth the effort.

Like I've said before, if I'm betrayed again, I've already done the math and a WW is not worth my continued effort. A WW would have to present a pretty compelling case to get me to change my mind and she has about a nanosecond from the time I find out she's a WW.

Any hint of anything other than remorse and repentance, any blame, excuses or anything of the sort will only serve as a confirmation the marital calculus was done correctly and the right answer was found.

We all make value judgments and it would take a pretty exceptional wayward for me to find them worthy to take back after such a selfish destructive act.

M
M
So while plan A isn't about making sacrifices, plan A is a form of sacrifice itself. I think you would have a hard time proving that plan A is not a form of sacrifice. I believe it is. One in plan A is giving to their spouse without expectation of anything in return. That is Dr H's definition of sacrifice.

I don't agree it is about giving without return. The point of Plan A is to only demonstrate a willingness to meet the needs of the WS in the FUTURE if the affair is ended. It is not supposed to be about sacrifice at all. In fact, I would assert it is almost impossible to meet the needs of a WS who is in an affair.

If a BS is engaging in sacrifice, he needs to STOP!

This is a misunderstanding of many BS' that Plan A means they are supposed to "meet needs." This perspective only leads to greater frustration when they see it is next to impossible. They then are reluctant to go to Plan B because they under the illusion they have not done a good plan A, because they have misdefined it as "need meetin."

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I clearly said if the request was respectful

Who determines if the request was respectful?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
After the affair has ended, the time for Plan A is OVER. It is time to get to work or get out. The WS either commits to a plan of recovery or the BS is damning himself to a death of thousand cuts.

If there is no plan of recovery, there is no use in going on. This is why I tell you BS to sit down and say, dear, this is what it will take to earn my forgiveness and keep me interested in this marriage.

Otherwise there is no point on going forward unless the BS is a masochist who is addicted to PAIN.

Exposure 101

M
M

Let me find the reference. I believe Dr H. has referred to plan A as a calculated sacrifice, or something that has the same essential meaning.

And if a woman calculates and discovers this would still be a net loss, you think the sacrifice is still called for?

Nope, if she thinks the affair partner is worth more than her husband, then she's not even going to consider her husband, regardless how well he plan A's.

I was not talking about calculating between the husband and the lover. I'm talking only about deciding if feeling degraded by her husband is worth it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley
"Plan A should never involve sacrifice. In other words, you can be as encouraging as possible about your willingness to meet his emotional needs without actually doing it, and still be in Plan A. And you can defend yourself from your husband's abuse (calling the police or calling his lover's husband) and still be in Plan A. The point of plan A is that you are making an effort to do your part to make your marriage successful, but from my perspective, it should never involve personal sacrifice."

Wow; I haven't seen that one before. Do you have a link to the original?

I can't find it. This post is somewhere over on the weekend forum. I saved it on 8-25-07 so I know it is older than that!

Exposure 101

E
E
Originally Posted by SugarCane
How I wish that your post would be the end to the vindictive "you can never make it up to him" posts that have sprung up lately, but I don't suppose it will.

Nobody - WH or WW - can make the affair un-happen, but if you focus on what was given away you will never have a recovered marriage. The "giving your H what you gave the OM" issue has NOTHING to do with marriage building, which should be what we try to help with on this board.

I sympathise with those who feel the loss acutely, but for posters should not go from thread to thread targeting WWs to tell them that they can never make it up to their BHs.

That is not help with marriage building.

Actually, I don't find the BH's telling WW's that. It's the actual WW's who are saying, I can't make it up to my husband.

Phrases such as:

1. I could never confess to my BH, he would divorce me.

2. I just can't get excited about having SF with my husband. It just felt so special with my OM, I don't have those same feelings towards my BH.

3. Too much has happened, too much water under the bridge, I could never return to my BH.

4. My BH doesn't want to engage in MB. I can't convince him to enter MB so he will understand how his actions drove me to my affair. (I.E. I cannot take responsibility for my affair, I will blame others such as the OM who tricked me, or my BH who failed to meet my needs.)

5. I simply cannot open up to my husband. I cannot tell him how I really feel.

I see far more of this than I see of vindictive BH's. Most of the BH's I've seen here want or wanted to save their marriages, but their WW's had the above list of things they were unwilling or unable to overcome, or others not enumerated here.

So really, who is it who is putting up barriers, the BH's or the WW's who provide one after another excuse why they won't buy into the plan and confess, end contact with OM, own the affair, and follow the rules for successful marriage building?

M
M
Originally Posted by writer1
I don't disagree with that. But as I've said before, it's going to be a tough sell to the BH to convince him that an act freely offered to the OM, one that wasn't illegal, immoral, or dangerous is being denied him after respectful requests.

So I simply caution the WW to put themselves in their BH's shoes and ask if she would buy that it's really degrading, or if she's simply harboring some sort of passive agressive resentment that prevents her from meeting a respectful request for something not illegal, immoral or dangerous that her husband has requested.

Because it just may look that way to a BH given the circumstances.

A WW is on shaky credibility, so I really believe it would be a tough sell at that point.

Well, the "act" that sparked this topic was a request for a 3-way, which I think most people would label immoral at best, certainly should be illegal, and is definitely dangerous to the marriage.

That's odd, I didn't suggest a 3 way, I clearly read all the prior posts, unlike the suggestion that said I didn't. So to those who are making that untrue assumption need to stop it now.

I clearly said if the request was respectful, which I believe falls under the definition of loving. I also clearly said it wasn't immoral, illegal or dangerous. And further, it was freely given the OM.

If all of those are true, and the WW STILL refuses to fulfill that respectful request, she is going to have a hard time convincing her BH that she cares more for him than she does the OM.

How many WW have come here saying that sex with the OM was exciting, but they didn't have that excitement in the marriage with their husband. So their husband has respectfully requested time and time again that she demonstrate some enthusiasm for sex with her husband.

But she cannot or will not do that.

If her BH knows she was enthusiastic about sex with the OM, but she is unwilling to be enthusiastic about sex with her BH, then what message is she sending her BH?

He's not making an unreasonable, degrading, dangerous or illegal request. Yet he's continually denied enthusiastic SF. Something that she offered the OM.

Are you going to keep telling me he's being unreasaonable?

Enlightened, can you tell us which Marriage Builders book, article, or posting talks about "reasonable requests"?

Reasonable is subjective. If one of the spouses feel it is unreasonable, it is. It's as simple as that. That's how Marriage Builders works.

Are you trying to further our and your understanding of the Marriage Builders program, or are we discussing your personal opinions?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
E
E

I was not talking about calculating between the husband and the lover. I'm talking only about deciding if feeling degraded by her husband is worth it.

She has the same right to calculate as the BH has to calculate if he'll continue to tolerate the fact that his respectful requests for something that was freely given the OM and was something that is not immoral, degrading, fattening, illegal in TX, or dangerous is being denied him.

My point is they each get to calculate. And if she's given whatever, freely to the OM, his calculation may produce a different answer than hers.

It may continue to add up to him that she's still wayward and still thinks more of the OM than she does of him.

She's always free to deny the request and to think it's degrading.

However, the BH is equally valid if he think's HE IS BEING DEGRADED if his polite requests are denied when he knows she freely and without reservation offered the substance of that request to the OM, again with the same provisos I've previously given about safe, moral, legal and low or non-fat.

They each get a vote. Not just him, not just her, but both.

He is as free to believe he's being degraded by the refusal as she is to feel by his request.

E
E
I don't disagree with that. But as I've said before, it's going to be a tough sell to the BH to convince him that an act freely offered to the OM, one that wasn't illegal, immoral, or dangerous is being denied him after respectful requests.

So I simply caution the WW to put themselves in their BH's shoes and ask if she would buy that it's really degrading, or if she's simply harboring some sort of passive agressive resentment that prevents her from meeting a respectful request for something not illegal, immoral or dangerous that her husband has requested.

Because it just may look that way to a BH given the circumstances.

A WW is on shaky credibility, so I really believe it would be a tough sell at that point.

Well, the "act" that sparked this topic was a request for a 3-way, which I think most people would label immoral at best, certainly should be illegal, and is definitely dangerous to the marriage.

That's odd, I didn't suggest a 3 way, I clearly read all the prior posts, unlike the suggestion that said I didn't. So to those who are making that untrue assumption need to stop it now.

I clearly said if the request was respectful, which I believe falls under the definition of loving. I also clearly said it wasn't immoral, illegal or dangerous. And further, it was freely given the OM.

If all of those are true, and the WW STILL refuses to fulfill that respectful request, she is going to have a hard time convincing her BH that she cares more for him than she does the OM.

How many WW have come here saying that sex with the OM was exciting, but they didn't have that excitement in the marriage with their husband. So their husband has respectfully requested time and time again that she demonstrate some enthusiasm for sex with her husband.

But she cannot or will not do that.

If her BH knows she was enthusiastic about sex with the OM, but she is unwilling to be enthusiastic about sex with her BH, then what message is she sending her BH?

He's not making an unreasonable, degrading, dangerous or illegal request. Yet he's continually denied enthusiastic SF. Something that she offered the OM.

Are you going to keep telling me he's being unreasaonable?

Enlightened, can you tell us which Marriage Builders book, article, or posting talks about "reasonable requests"?

Reasonable is subjective. If one of the spouses feel it is unreasonable, it is. It's as simple as that. That's how Marriage Builders works.

Are you trying to further our and your understanding of the Marriage Builders program, or are we discussing your personal opinions?

Reasonable and unreasonable are subjective, that's my point.

Once the WW has fulfilled a request, her stance that it's unreasonable lacks credibility.

I'm not arguing the subjective nature of reasonable or unreasonable. I'm arguing how credible her argument may be given she thought it was reasonable enough to provide the OM.

It's hard to sell that she think's it's unreasonable once she's demonstrated that she found it to be a reasonable request to grant another man.

So I understand reasonable, unreasonable and subjective.

I simply argue that it MAY be unreasonable to expect he finds her refusal of his request reasonable after she's freely found fulfilling that request reasonable when presented by the OM.

T
T
The BS believes that their WS would of never have an affair.

The WS has an affair.

The WS does things with for to the OP that they never did for the BS.

The BS has to forgive the affair for recovery.

The BS has to let the accept he won the war but the OP got to win many battles that their WS won�t even let them try to do so post affair.

This BS is getting cheated twice from the same affair.

The BS has to accept getting cheated on two levels. As in two levels as if the WW had an OC. Or three levels when combining a PA, refuse to give what the OP got and WW had OC.

Maybe this is why an OC is a deal breaker for some BH�s for it makes the affair a multiple level betrayal. Maybe most BH�s can only handle one level of betrayal.

How does the BS accept that they never will get what the OP got from their WS?

How is the BS to be convinced that never getting what the WS gave the OP does not keep the BS in second place in the SF department?

I don�t know statistically how much is matters from a male perspective verses female view. But it seems to matter more to a male that he never got what the OP got.

I�m not against a BH coming to terms with a WW that won�t do for her BH what she gladly did for the OM. I just have not seen a case presented that is not 100% flawless.

Like Einstein�s Law of Relativity and the String Theory are not 100% flawless.

M
M
[However, the BH is equally valid if he think's HE IS BEING DEGRADED if his polite requests are denied when he knows she freely and without reservation offered the substance of that request to the OM, again with the same provisos I've previously given about safe, moral, legal and low or non-fat.

Then he is clearly not using the standard proscribed by the POJA, which is never do anything without the enthusiastic agreement of the other. Whether the request is "polite", "respectful" or whatever is irrelevant. What matters is if it makes BOTH sides happy. If not, then it shouldn't be done.

Just because he says he feels "degraded" misses the point once again, because it doesn't take her feelings into account. The feelings of BOTH SIDES have to be taken into account.

Exposure 101

W
W
So, what would you suggest the WW do in this case? Agree to do something with her BH that she finds uncomfortable, disgusting, unsatisfying, whatever? Basically, do it even though she doesn't want to, simply because she did it during her A with the OM (a time when she most decidedly was not thinking straight and was in all likelihood doing many things, including having an A, that she should not have been doing)?

What do you think the result will be if the WW does something she does not want to do just to appease her BH?

Do you think it will help her fall in love with him? Do you think it will make their marriage stronger and happier?

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
W
W
The Road, has it ever occurred to you that the WW is giving her BH much MORE than she ever gave the OM. When she makes the decision to stay and recover the M, she is giving her BH a lifetime commitment of love, caring, and companionship. Did she ever give that to the OM?

There is no commitment in an A. There are no promises. There is no desire to love the AP and meet their needs (including SF) and be a companion to them for the rest of their lives.

All there is in an A is lies, deceit, and a lot of cheap rutting around. A's are entirely selfish.

Does the BS really want what the AP got? Really. I mean, when it comes right down to it, all the AP got was a bunch of junk.

B
B
The Road, has it ever occurred to you that the WW is giving her BH much MORE than she ever gave the OM. When she makes the decision to stay and recover the M, she is giving her BH a lifetime commitment of love, caring, and companionship.

That is not what a BS will think, writer, nor is it likely the reason a WS stays in the beginning and it will not be for quite some time.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
There is no commitment in an A. There are no promises. There is no desire to love the AP and meet their needs (including SF) and be a companion to them for the rest of their lives.

Commitments and promises were broken to the BS. Nothing the BS got showed desire, love, care, commitment, etc. That is why a BS struggles and we ride the rollercoaster.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
E
E
I've suggested that she rebuild her credibility before she take on the task of trying to change her BH's mind.

The issue is not the request. The issue is that her credibility is non-existent at the point she rejects the polite request.

Until her credibility is restored, no action would be ultimately satisfying.

So, what would you suggest the WW do in this case? Agree to do something with her BH that she finds uncomfortable, disgusting, unsatisfying, whatever? Basically, do it even though she doesn't want to, simply because she did it during her A with the OM (a time when she most decidedly was not thinking straight and was in all likelihood doing many things, including having an A, that she should not have been doing)?

What do you think the result will be if the WW does something she does not want to do just to appease her BH?

Do you think it will help her fall in love with him? Do you think it will make their marriage stronger and happier?

W
W
Originally Posted by black_raven
The Road, has it ever occurred to you that the WW is giving her BH much MORE than she ever gave the OM. When she makes the decision to stay and recover the M, she is giving her BH a lifetime commitment of love, caring, and companionship.

That is not what a BS will think, writer, nor is it likely the reason a WS stays in the beginning and it will not be for quite some time.

True. I was directing this specifically to The Road, who has been on this site for quite some time and still seems to hold a lot of resentment. I don't know his story, since he never shares it, but he doesn't seem to be in the "beginning" of this process anymore, and yet I see a lot of resentment in his posts even after being here for a number of years.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation