Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
But her failure to reward his Radical Honesty is also a problem. The best way to entice your partner not to love bust is to refrain from love busting yourself. Withholding ENs as punishment for engaging in Radical Honesty, especially after he has apologized for his love busters, is a sure way to enter into a downward spiral. To the extent that she is not enthusiastic about meeting his EN in the way he wants it met, that should trigger POJA, not flat out rejection on her part with no offer to brainstorm solutions.
What did I miss? How did she not reward his honesty? And why should she reward his honesty in the first place? Does being honest require a reward?

No, it doesn't, but if you'd like to see more of it, it never hurts to provide incentives.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
She said she was feeling unvalued BEFORE she started looking for a babysitter.

Removing the babysitter is the right thing to do but what about the issue that was there before she hired her?

H
H
What did I miss? How did she not reward his honesty?

I think it very likely that her withdrawing and turning down his attempts to reconnect feels to him like a punishment. I don't remember reading where she said "wow, it must have been difficult for you to admit that. I bet you feared I would react harshly. Thank you for being brave and trusting in my love. You have reaffirmed my belief that I married the right guy." After she says something like that, I predict he would be more amendable to POJAing refraining from masturbation.

And why should she reward his honesty in the first place? Does being honest require a reward?

Yes, of course honesty requires a reward, or at least refraining from punishment. That is one of the central tenets of MB. Love is not unconditional. Trust must be earned. "Honesty is its own reward" is aspirational but not practical. If someone wants their spouse to be Radically Honest, even when the truth is likely to be hurtful to the listener, then I suggest the listener heartily reward the honesty. Like I said, feed the dog you want to win the fight. Many people find it unpleasant to deliver hurtful truths. There may be shame in admitting to having done a love buster. Anxiety about how the spouse will react. If the listener wants the speaker's experience, on balance, to be positive, then they should provide a reward that outweighs the shame / anxiety.

When you can see it coming, duck!
M
M
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Would someone in a satisfying relationship do this? Maybe, but not likely.

The truth is that lots of people in satisfying relationships have affairs, so I imagine that it is pretty likely that someone in a satisfying relationship might do this. There are two issues at play here; the first is constructing a satisfying relationship, which is important. But the other is taking precautions to avoid threats to the marriage.

Don't chase down the trail of thinking that she can get him to stop this behavior by better satisfying him. It is not her fault that he is doing this. It's a simple matter of independent behavior: what he is doing offends her, and if they are to have a satisfying relationship, then he will need to stop it for that reason, if for no other.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[She has described the real problem, which is that her husband is fantasizing about the babysitter. That is a real threat to her marriage that should be addressed and REMOVED. That is what Dr Harley would recommend.

Probably, but not the only thing. This isn't the only problem, and we aren't dealing with the babysitter-fantasy H here, so telling her to slap his hand and tell him to knock it off isn't that constructive, and is likely bolstering into some LB behavior.

Nope, it is not a lovebuster to ask your spouse to stop doing things that upset you - she is supposed to do that. And yes we are dealing with a babysitter fantasy here. That is part of the problem.

Speed reading sometimes destroys comprehension. I'll restate - you aren't dealing with the criminal, you are dealing with the victim - the approach should take it as such.

When it is communicated through either an angry outburst, selfish demand, or disrespectful judgment, it is most certainly a love buster... naughty

Originally Posted by Holdherhand
That's like saying treating nausea caused by stomach cancer is the cure to the disease. That isn't a fix, it only addresses a single symptom, and a single possible cause.

What else could be a cause? Well, you like to toss aside the "self-worth" mention here and go after what you find offensive - the fantasy, and the self-service. Ok.

Would someone in a satisfying relationship do this? Maybe, but not likely.

Any rational person in a healthy, satisifying marriage will recognize a real threat and take steps to eliminate it. In her case, the threat to the marriage is a teenage babysitter in her home whom her H has sexual fantasies about. The solution is to remove that very real threat.

If my H were sexually attracted to my cleaning lady, I would expect him to be honest about that and we would get rid of her. Protecting the marriage means you don't take such risks. You don't hang around with people to whom you are attracted.

Folks, this is not rocket science. This is Marriage Protection 101. When there is a threat to the marriage, you don't sit around and navel gaze, you simply remove the threat.

Totally agree it's not rocket science. That statement is well weighted.

The fantasy is fodder to the masturbation, the masturbation is occurring because a need is not being met, these two things are symptoms of the underlying cause which is just as much a threat to the M as the symptoms.

Is the babysitter a problem? Yes, but more likely a symptom of other problems which must be resolved so that similar problems do not occur in the future.

It is not a problem, though. Her recognition that the babysitter is a threat to her marriage was a wise and shrewd recognition. The problem would have been if she DIDN'T recognize the threat.

Agreed.

I can't agree with this. All it would take for me to feel unsafe would be if my H were fantasizing about a clear and present danger. I don't need to feel unattractive, or lacking in self-esteem (whatever the hell that means to this topic, but I digress.)

I would need to remove that danger in order to feel safe. That's what it would take. I don't need to pamper myself, or lose 10 pounds, or have someone build up my self-esteem. I would need to rid our family of the clear and present danger.

And the only way a 'similar' problem would crop up in the future would be if I were senseless enough to hire another nubile babysitter.

Can you "agree" on this; he is looking outside his M to have a need met?

Can you "agree on this;

Originally Posted by jamie_k
Around this time I was feeling pretty bad. I was getting very fat from the pregnancy and was really just tired and run down so my husband and I weren't having sex as often as we normally do. I just didn't have the energy so he would have to take care of himself.

That the OP was not meeting her H's needs, and admits to it?

Can you "agree" that unmet emotional needs are a threat to marriage?

The "problem" you like to focus on is a symptom - no it does not excuse his actions just as much as it doesn't excuse an affair, but unmet needs - LIKELY ON BOTH SIDES - is what is going on.

Just because Jamie recognized that the babysitter is a threat to her marriage does not mean she is "insecure" or whatever psychobabble term you want to put on it, but that she is WISE and smart enough to recognize a real threat.

You continue to take me out of context to bolster your opinion, and adding ad hominem to it isn't necessary or justified.

In the OP she states that they weren't having SF, and he began to masturbate. Is that justifiable in an MB frame? No. However, she knew he was masturbating, and "allowed" it because she felt she was unable to meet his need for SF.

None of this is a dismissal as the babysitter and his fantasies of her being a threat, however, what is stated is that there is a need being unmet.

Your solution of "fire the babysitter and slap his hand for touching himself" avoids and denies the problem of an unmet need. Yes, it addresses a threat. Yes, it addresses a problem, yet with the problem right in front of you, you are ignoring the problem of an unmet need... why? Is being "right" that important?

So, not disagreeing with ML's assessment, but adding to it, Jamie, I suggest you read here and the following articles.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 01/28/11 05:35 PM. Reason: unclosed url tag

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
Originally Posted by ivy45

Removing the babysitter is the right thing to do but what about the issue that was there before she hired her?

What about it?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Just think how valued she would feel if her husband took this important step to protect their marriage!

I
I
its a feeling that is still standing in the way of a happy marriage for the both of them. Unless the assumption is that her feeling unvalued is what makes the two of them happy.

M
M
the masturbation is occurring because a need is not being met,

This is where your reasoning is going wrong. This is incorrect. Your statement here makes HER responsible for HIS deeds.

If she disapproves, the masturbation is occurring because he is not aware of or not respectful of his wife's feelings on the matter.

What you are saying is akin to saying that affairs happen because needs are not met. What do you believe the cause of affairs is?

I
I
I think they should definitely do that. But if the feeling existed before the babysitter, it doesn't seem that getting rid of the babysitter is the only thing needed.

M
M
Can you "agree" that unmet emotional needs are a threat to marriage?

Can you agree that many people face unmet emotional needs without engaging in Independent Behavior such as infidelity, dishonesty, or sexual activity that the mate is not enthusiastic about? Unmet emotional needs do not grab a man (or woman) and MAKE him have an affair or masturbate.

I've met a lot of people with the idea that if a woman keeps her husband satisfied he won't stray, but that idea is not Marriage Builders.

A
A
Ok, just for the sake of argument.

He apologizes profusely.
They get another babysitter. (BTW, is this a part-time or full time sitter?)
He promises never again to masturbate.
Does she perhaps tell him the truth about why she is unhappy to be a SAHM?
What should his reply be if she says I'm leaving because I miss my job and don't want to stay here with you anymore?

For OP, are you overseas because your husband is in the military?

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
R
R
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 01/28/11 06:03 PM. Reason: TOS inappropriate

Click to reveal.. (My Stuff)
FWH 36 EA/PA NC & D-day 12/21/10
FWW 36 EA / NC & D-day 12/8/10
Married: 12+ years
Together: 17+
Kids: x3
Working together to be better than ever!

And if the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain
All the hope and glory
All of the sacrifice in vain
And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price
But we will not count the cost
M
M
Nope, it is not a lovebuster to ask your spouse to stop doing things that upset you - she is supposed to do that. And yes we are dealing with a babysitter fantasy here. That is part of the problem.

Speed reading sometimes destroys comprehension. I'll restate - you aren't dealing with the criminal, you are dealing with the victim - the approach should take it as such.

When it is communicated through either an angry outburst, selfish demand, or disrespectful judgment, it is most certainly a love buster... naughty

What ARE you talking about? No one told her to communicate my message via lovebuster, so I have no idea what this has to do with the price of tea in China.. crazy

That the OP was not meeting her H's needs, and admits to it?

Can you "agree" that unmet emotional needs are a threat to marriage

Of course.

The "problem" you like to focus on is a symptom - no it does not excuse his actions just as much as it doesn't excuse an affair, but unmet needs - LIKELY ON BOTH SIDES - is what is going on.

Maybe. Maybe not. The attraction to the babysitter may or may not be a result of unmet needs. Who is to say he wouldn't be attracted regardless? And why would we quibble over that? The bottom line is that her H should have his needs met and any person of the opposite sex to whom there is an attraction should be avoided.

Just because Jamie recognized that the babysitter is a threat to her marriage does not mean she is "insecure" or whatever psychobabble term you want to put on it, but that she is WISE and smart enough to recognize a real threat.

You continue to take me out of context to bolster your opinion, and adding ad hominem to it isn't necessary or justified.[/quote]

But you don't support that contention so I can't respond. If someone takes your comments out of context you need to show HOW. An assertion made without suppport can be dismissed on the same basis.

In the OP she states that they weren't having SF, and he began to masturbate. Is that justifiable in an MB frame? No. However, she knew he was masturbating, and "allowed" it because she felt she was unable to meet his need for SF.

So? That doesn't mean it is good for her marriage.

None of this is a dismissal as the babysitter and his fantasies of her being a threat, however, what is stated is that there is a need being unmet.

Agree his needs to be met.

Your solution of "fire the babysitter and slap his hand for touching himself" avoids and denies the problem of an unmet need. Yes, it addresses a threat. Yes, it addresses a problem, yet with the problem right in front of you, you are ignoring the problem of an unmet need... why? Is being "right" that important?

I have not addressed the unmet need. Just because I have said to fire the babysitter and stop masturbating does not mean the unmet need is not being addressed. There is nothing wrong with you bringing that up. Just becasue I address one aspect of the situation does not mean that you CAN'T address that aspect on your own.

I have no idea what "being right" has to do with this discussion. crazy If you want to make a point about an unmet need, simply make it. That is all you have to do. You don't have to get defensive. Really! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I think they should definitely do that. But if the feeling existed before the babysitter, it doesn't seem that getting rid of the babysitter is the only thing needed.

Probably not, but this is the immediate threat to the marriage. When the house is burning down, you put out the fire, you save quibbling over what color replacement carpet and drapes to get until after the fire is out.

M
M
Originally Posted by Rush_2112
1) I personally feel that asking her husband to stop masturbating is quite selfish, and extremely hurtful toward him.

Rush, have you read the Basic Concepts here? How do you feel about the Policy of Joint Agreement? What do you think about Independent Behavior?

H
H
Originally Posted by markos
the masturbation is occurring because a need is not being met,

This is where your reasoning is going wrong. This is incorrect. Your statement here makes HER responsible for HIS deeds.

No, that is what is being assumed by ignoring MB 101 information.

There is an unmet need, he isn't being O&H or addressing it, he "handles" the meeting of his need in a taker fashion through masturbation.

If she disapproves, the masturbation is occurring because he is not aware of or not respectful of his wife's feelings on the matter.

I'd prefer the OP's word on this, because she states it as a problem when she asked if he "thought of anybody else" and when he admitted it was the babysitter. She was aware of it before the revelation and was either; a) ok with it prior to the revelation, or b) not okay with it, and not being honest about it until after the revelation.

It's also assuming that he would rather masturbate than make love to his wife, who has stated she has had a problem making herself available to him.

Is it possible he would rather? Maybe. I doubt it's the case.

What you are saying is akin to saying that affairs happen because needs are not met. What do you believe the cause of affairs is?

Do you want what I've read in SAA and the Surviving Infidelity articles, or should I submit to ad populum and regurgitate the general consensus. Sorry, had fish for FWW's birthday last night, no red herring for me today.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
A
Markos, what should one do when you've tried the POJA and your spouse is absolutely not interested in meeting your needs?

Pick any emotional need, and tell me what the unsatisfied spouse should do if his/her spouse is not interested or objects to meeting those needs?

Dr Harley goes on about the balance between one's giver and one's taker, seems almost like you are advocating being a giver regardless if one's needs are being met or not. What should one do when you realize that your spouse is just not willing to meet your needs but only too willing to say that as part of the POJA that they do not see it your way and that asking for your way is an LB?

The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.
M
M
Originally Posted by Rush_2112
2) The poster has indeed punished her husband for his honesty. She has rejected his efforts to apologize and make her feel more valued/better/etc.

This will do damage to your marriage, as others have pointed out.

Tell your husband, immediately, that you are thankful for his honesty. You are sorry for holding a grudge against him for his honesty. That you know he didn't intentionally hurt you, and you FORGIVE him for that...that you LOVE HIM for his honesty, and that you are SORRY for being judgmental. Reassure him that future honesty will NOT be met with judgment, but rather, with LOVE.

Rush, you are essentially asking this woman to change how she feels about the situation. This approach is doomed to failure. It is much, much easier for her husband to change his behavior than for her to change her feelings, and his behavior directly impacts her feelings. Her emotions protect her by letting her know when, perhaps, her husband has not GONE FAR ENOUGH.

Yes, it's important to encourage honesty. But she should not be required to accept his efforts if she does not feel that they go far enough.

It is very important that you do that...or else he will stop being so honest with you about other aspects of life because he'll be afraid to piss you off and earn your wrath.

Important warning.

She does need to make sure to not react with Love Busters. Angry Outbursts, Disrespectful Judgments, and Selfish Demands are abusive no matter what the provocation.

But this does not mean that she has to feel good about the situation.

F
F
This will be my last warning about sticking to Marriage Builders concepts and then this thread will be locked! Once again, this forum is for the discussion of Marriage Builders concepts. If you are going to post to newcomers stick to that or do not post!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation