Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
A brief recap: I'm the WW and I have an infant OC from the OM. My BH knows all and wanted to stay together and raise our only child together. Our M is recovering in an amazing way and we're closer than we've ever been. He loves OC and after a huge court battle it looks like OM will be in the picture, but we're doing okay with that. I will maintain absolute NC and my BH is handling everything really well.

Initially BH did not want to expose my A--especially not until the court battle was over and mainly because he didn't want anyone to view OC differently. But now he knows we have to expose my A, but we don't know how. We want to tell our close friends and family in person, but they live all over the country. We have BH's family vacation coming up, which would be an ideal time to tell his side, but is that a bad idea to ruin the vacation with this news? Any advice on how to do the exposure would be helpful. I plan to be open, honest, and repentant--totally vulnerable. But the timing...I guess there's no such thing as "good" timing when exposing something like this...

So, is vacation time an okay time?

And if so, should we do it early or later on during that week?

Any other tips for how to say it?

Me: WW
BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

M
M
I don't know that there is an opportune time to disclose this to family, wanthealing, but I would suggest you do it on this vacation and do it early in the week, for a few reasons:

1. Waiting too long will possibly tempt you to put it off entirely.

2. It's going to be weird/a shock/startling, etc., to process for his family. You can be there to answer questions after they've started processing it.

3. It'll give them a chance to look at OC in her 'new' family role. And that's not a negative. I don't mean OC is going to suddenly be alien to them, but now they'll have historical family knowledge that they'll need to alter.

4. It will give them a chance to watch you and H interact. They're more than likely going to follow his lead. When they see how comfortable he is, they will be comfortable.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks, Marital. My in-laws are already so connected with the OC--they see her several times a week--that I really pray they don't turn their back on her. She adores them, and they adore her. I just hope that doesn't change.

And as for the rest of the long-distance family, while they don't see OC much, we still don't want a great divide in the family.

I appreciate the advice and will take it!

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

M
M
Originally Posted by wanthealing
Thanks, Marital. My in-laws are already so connected with the OC--they see her several times a week--that I really pray they don't turn their back on her. She adores them, and they adore her. I just hope that doesn't change.

And as for the rest of the long-distance family, while they don't see OC much, we still don't want a great divide in the family.

I appreciate the advice and will take it!
I have a feeling you're going to be happily surprised and relieved once you've gotten this behind you.

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
N
[Linked Image from metsmerizedonline.com] Casey Stengel, that brilliant manager of people, once said,

"The secret to being a successful manager is keeping the five guys who hate you away from the five who haven't made up their minds!"

Unless you're The Waltons (and they're off the air) you probably have a good idea of the sub-group that might be the ones who would have the most problems with this news. Accordingly, rather than make a all-inclusive broadcast to everyone, it might be easier and less disruptive to individually approach the more understanding members of your family, and get them on your side as the rest of the group is informed.

Most people would be flattered to know that they are trusted enough by you to help you, as in: "Sis, I have some news that might upset folks like Aunt Tillie, and it might be good if you helped me through this......"

Anyway, that's what I'd do, with my family.....

S
S
I don't think it is fair you tell your husbands parents on a vacation, you owe them the truth ahead of time. This will destroy them, probably break their hearts and cause a lot of sadness for your husband. You will be telling them, that no they aren't the grandparents of your child. Do you think really it is fair to do that on a vacation with them? I don't think a vacation is a good buffer. It will be for years pictures of it and remembrances of the vacation they found out.

If you must tell, then do it over the phone before, so that if they don't want to do a vacation with you after that, well, they actually have a say. Instead of springing it on them.

So, you should give your husbands parents privacy when telling them this, they may not want to see you for awhile, it will be a shock, a big one.

Last edited by simplylost; 03/03/11 04:55 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by simplylost
Why do you feel you need to tell all the relatives about the affair? I wouldn't
Simplylost, have you read this thread from the beginning?

Have you read the articles on this site?

D-Day 2-10-2009

J
J
Wanthealing,

Just a few questions before offering my opinion.

1. Do you love your OC?

2. Does your H love OC?

3. Do you love your H?

4. Does your H love you?

5. Although you both regret the affair, do either of you regret OC being in your life or loving OC?

OK, let me take a WILD GUESS rotflmao and say the answer is YES to all of the above. Now when viewed in light to that answer, how do you think you and your H should approach this? Do you think it would be a downer for peoples vacation for them to know the answer to those 5 questions and that OC is really yours and your H's if not completely in biology?

I cannot say there won't be some gossip or even a negative reaction or two, but I would bet good money the only thing most would be bothered by is that you didn't trust them enough to tell them sooner. IF you and your H love that child my bet is that his family and your family will love that child.

Just my thoughts,

God Bless,

JL

PS: Tell the in-laws that see OC frequently now and then ask them them their advice. IF you can do it together and in person.

Last edited by Just Learning; 03/03/11 04:58 PM.
S
S
no I haven't but I think an article isn't necessary when telling grandparents that they aren't really the grandparents

S
S
I am sure they would still love her, but really they should be told, and I am sure their hearts will be broken. All this time they have been saying do you think they look like him or her, whos eyes do they have, all that.

I am sure they would not turn their backs on her, but the sooner you tell, and not while on vacation the better. Let them have some space after being told, they will be hurt.

If they see you are working on your marriage I am sure that will be a relief, but it is sad, they being told they aren't the grandparents, for them.

W
OP Offline
W
JustLearning, the answer is a definite resounding YES to all questions...except for #5 which the answer is no, we have no regrets about OC.

Vacation is next week, which is sooner than later, and it's only immediate family (in-laws and BH's brother and sister). We wanted to first tell BH's siblings (who live long-distance) and have them support us as we tell in-laws, since we're pretty sure they will be supportive. We think the in-laws may be more understanding if BH's siblings are there to help smooth things over. But I am concerned about them needing space afterwards...and I don't want to ruin their trip. But it's the only opportunity we'll all be together.

I wrote a very personal letter to each of them and planned to have them read it with me and BH there to answer questions afterward. While I hope they can forgive, ultimately my BH is my future, not everyone else. And my BH is more the OC's daddy than anyone else, so their role as grandparents is not changing unless they want it to. So my focus is not in telling them that they're not OC's grandparents; my focus is telling them that I failed my marital vows but I am dedicated to putting my hubby first now and forever. And that BH and I are finally treating each other with love for the first time since we've been married. I feel like we've watched a miracle as our marriage has healed.

BH
DD(4)
DS(2)
DD(1)

M
M
no I haven't but I think an article isn't necessary when telling grandparents that they aren't really the grandparents
They are absolutely this child's grandparents.

D-Day 2-10-2009

S
S
You said they weren't, I am confused. If you had this child with the OM then how can your husbands parents be the grandparents? What is an OC? If this wasn't written in code it would be easier to follow, sorry. If they are the grandparents then why would you be worried they wouldn't want to see the child? I am confused.

N
N
S/L - The reference to the in-laws being the OC's grandparents is an allusion that "family" is not dependent on DNA. If the Grandparents accept the child as their grandchild, that is the end of all discussion.

M
M
You said they weren't, I am confused. If you had this child with the OM then how can your husbands parents be the grandparents? What is an OC? If this wasn't written in code it would be easier to follow, sorry. If they are the grandparents then why would you be worried they wouldn't want to see the child? I am confused.
Simplylost, please read the articles on this site and let us know on your own thread if you have any questions about Marriage Builders concepts.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
(simply, if you are that confused, I think it would be best to bow out of this thread now and look for some others. Hint: you are committing some ettiquette faux pas. There's a person here with some real hurts who needs delicate and experienced help.)

Last edited by markos; 03/03/11 06:29 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
So, is vacation time an okay time?

And if so, should we do it early or later on during that week?

Any other tips for how to say it?

IMO, I would not tell them on the vacation. I would tell them NOW - via conference call - and give them the opportunity to digest this. This also gives them the option of not coming on the vacation if that is their choice.

I don't suggest telling them AFTER either, because they will resent that you allowed the charade to go on in their presence without telling them.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
**Edited**

Last edited by MBLovebanker; 03/03/11 07:12 PM. Reason: TOS: disruptive and disrpectful
M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
2. It's going to be weird/a shock/startling, etc., to process for his family. You can be there to answer questions after they've started processing it.

This is why I am thinking they need to tell them BEFORE the vacation. Give them time to get over the shock alone and let them get used to the idea. Hopefully by the time they DO get together, they will have recovered somewhat and can move forward.

OR, if they can't get over the shock, or don't want to, then they have the option of changing their vacation plans. If they are told while they are all on vacation, that puts them in the position of having to stay regardless of their feelings. That is why I say, tell them NOW and give them some time to digest the shock.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Vacation is next week, which is sooner than later, and it's only immediate family (in-laws and BH's brother and sister). We wanted to first tell BH's siblings (who live long-distance) and have them support us as we tell in-laws, since we're pretty sure they will be supportive.

wanthealing, please do not make the mistake of telling the siblings BEFORE his mother and dad. Don't do that. They will see that as a double betrayal. They are his parents. They have a special relationship with you, your H, and their grandchild that is not shared by the siblings.

Tell them first. Tell them tonight. And let them tell the siblings if they want. But don't tell them while on vacation and most of all, don't tell them LAST. Tell them FIRST. Honor them by doing that. Do this with sensitivity by telling them NOW so they can deal with the shock ALONE and have a chance to digest it. I think doing this on vacation and telling the sibs FIRST will be adding unncessary insult to injury. You don't need that.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 494 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation