Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
M
M
I don't have anything to add to that. HHH, but I strongly agree. I've always liked Atticus Finch, too. My kids don't call me by my first name, but they are probably raised in a somewhat similar iconoclastic way.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by markos
I don't have anything to add to that. HHH, but I strongly agree. I've always liked Atticus Finch, too. My kids don't call me by my first name, but they are probably raised in a somewhat similar iconoclastic way.

Been kinda thinkin of you, Markos.

Back on the first page, I linked to an article about "Iceberg Beliefs."

Reflecting on that, I thought of your (and my own) struggles with AO behavior.

Read over it a tad, and the scenario presented - do you think part of your AO problem might be some "Iceberg Beliefs?"

Just food for thought...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
R
R
Great that you got this thread started really.

Hold onto your nuts was a good read and a real compliment to MB I thought. It also specifically suggests forming small peer groups to talk about stuff kind of like Fred's group.

I think its a great idea. Even if I spotted no less than four ladies on the way in here lol.

When I read the book it was before I came to MB. I wrote five or six nuts, but only one really stuck with me through all this time. I mean one thing that is not negotiable and I hung onto. Mel will laugh at this, cause she had to pistol whip me to get me to expose... "I will not live in fear"

Pretty simple, but I got a lot of mileage out of that one the last six months. Hope to get some more.

Anyway the book was great, although slanted to guys who aren't trying to win back a wife from OM. Really a pep talk I could have benefited from eighteen months ago before this all started.

Great thread, hope we can keep it going.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
In the words of the immortal Yogi Berra, "It's deja vu all over again!"

I think it was here, but it could have been another forum, where this topic appeared a few months ago.

My answer then, as now is summed up thus:

"The women's movement has succeeded. It's turned men into women and women into men."

If you are still reading, Fred, you might find this one of interest;

A Generation of Men Raised by Women

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

C
C
Ah Its late, love this thread theme, gonna read it all tommorow, can't wait to read that site,

I have added this to my watched threads.

Later boys,,
PS: The Rock is the bomb!

C
C
Well I saw the Atticus Finch reference, and I had to read it. Yeah now there was what i allways wanted to be as a man. (Did I mention I was a crack shot with a rifle?)

A man with a conscience, integrity, and honor. Us men need those role models.

Loving this Thread, and haven't even read it all yet.

B
B

Y'know I haven't read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' since high school. I'll have to put it on my reading list for after I finish re-reading 'Atlas Shrugged' - we saw the movie on Friday and it made me want to read the book again.

But yeah my kids don't call me by my first name either. I have a title and it's "Dad". But we do follow the southern form of the kids calling adults 'Mister Dave' or 'Miss Kelly'.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by bitbucket

Y'know I haven't read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' since high school. I'll have to put it on my reading list for after I finish re-reading 'Atlas Shrugged' - we saw the movie on Friday and it made me want to read the book again.

But yeah my kids don't call me by my first name either. I have a title and it's "Dad". But we do follow the southern form of the kids calling adults 'Mister Dave' or 'Miss Kelly'.

It seems a little strange... but it's a work of fiction, so I'm not quite sure if there was a heavy subtext to it or not.

Atticus, though, spoke very straight and very plain to his children. He seemed content to command the respect of his children through his character and integrity rather than his position as their father.

I don't know, but Gregory Peck's portrayal of the character was so spot-on, that I'm not surprised that they never tried to remake it (like Of Mice and Men). I can no longer read the book without seeing the film portrayal of Atticus.

I bought FWW a very nice copy a few years ago. Spend the extra cash to get one with a nice cover and quality paper.

M
M
I'll have to put it on my reading list for after I finish re-reading 'Atlas Shrugged' - we saw the movie on Friday and it made me want to read the book again.

Wow. This thread is starting to become seriously dangerous.

I better call the women to come get us back in line.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
OP Offline
H
I'll have to put it on my reading list for after I finish re-reading 'Atlas Shrugged' - we saw the movie on Friday and it made me want to read the book again.

Wow. This thread is starting to become seriously dangerous.

rotflmao

OMG! They are READING BOOKS!

Get the torches!

D
D
Finally, the men have come back to Marriage Builders! Seriously though, this is a great idea. I know I've had to suck it up and learn to become my own man again.

My story - When my FWW started getting a little too wild and crazy for my comfort zone I confronted her and was completely immasculated by her...repeatedly. I didn't let her have any "fun" anymore, I had become a stick in the mud, I was causing problems in our relationship, etc, etc. During this time she decided to try some new things and that included other men. I saw it happening right before my eyes yet I was almost powerless to do anything about it. I let her control my feelings and perceptions because I was afraid I'd lose her if I pushed back too hard.

Yeah, I'm ready to "man up" and restart my life again. I've already made huge changes with more to come.

I'll hang around and see where this goes!

Me: 45
FWW: 44
Children: 17 (son)
Married for 26 years
WW A's 2008-2009
D-day: 1/7/10
Trickle truths from 1/7/10 - 9/1/10
12/15/10 - Finally felt like we were in recovery
_
_
Great thread here. Thanks for starting it. I just stumbled upon it now and will need to read the links later on, but I think it is needed and will be helpful.

I can say that to me personally, I have seriously taken a blow to my own 'manlihood' due to my WXW's affair. Plus the actual process of attempting to Plan A with a non-repentant wayward wife causes a lot of natural inner-conflict. At least for me it did. As a 'man', the instant easy answer would have simply to ended it all and move on. As a real man (and father), I tried to do the best as the head of the family and do what I could.

Now that I'm divorced and starting to re-define who I am and what my goals are, I've found that during my marriage I simply became what I thought a husband and provider should be. Now that I'm on my own so to speak, I see that I've lost touch with who I really am and want to be.

Hoping this thread helps in this process. Thanks again.

-SOL
R
R
Geez SOL don't be so hard on yourself. You could teach most of us a thing or two. I've pulled strength from your story on bad days...more than once.

Haven't seen any gurls on here in a bit. We'll have to be careful or Marital will have everyone reading "Little Women" by this time next week.

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by _SOL
Great thread here. Thanks for starting it. I just stumbled upon it now and will need to read the links later on, but I think it is needed and will be helpful.

I can say that to me personally, I have seriously taken a blow to my own 'manlihood' due to my WXW's affair. Plus the actual process of attempting to Plan A with a non-repentant wayward wife causes a lot of natural inner-conflict. At least for me it did. As a 'man', the instant easy answer would have simply to ended it all and move on. As a real man (and father), I tried to do the best as the head of the family and do what I could.

Now that I'm divorced and starting to re-define who I am and what my goals are, I've found that during my marriage I simply became what I thought a husband and provider should be. Now that I'm on my own so to speak, I see that I've lost touch with who I really am and want to be.

Hoping this thread helps in this process. Thanks again.

Every post like this one here makes me thankful for getting this ball rolling.

I think a lot of us lacked proper male role-models, as well as proper male peers.

I know I do; my dad is a doormat, my brother is an adulterer, and any other outside male modeling was limited or brief.

H
OP Offline
H
Gentleman - I implore you to not only read, but to contribute!

If you have a book, movie, article, or experience that has impacted your feeling of masculinity in a positive way, please share!

Also, let's not be afraid to be accountable, but not judgmental.

M
M

You rang?? lashes

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

You rang?? lashes

Just curious if you had any tips on the best wax to shape my mustache.

_
_
Originally Posted by Reynolds531
Geez SOL don't be so hard on yourself. You could teach most of us a thing or two. I've pulled strength from your story on bad days...more than once.

Haven't seen any gurls on here in a bit. We'll have to be careful or Marital will have everyone reading "Little Women" by this time next week.

Didn't realize I was sounding hard on myself. I'm really not. I'm good with what I did and the how and why I did it. Just stating that during the time, it was a struggle and I didn't feel like much of a man. You know, the whole feeling emasculated by WW stuff. Big blow to my self-esteem as well.

I've had some good role models and peers being career military and being in the Infantry (Probably too much testosterone to be honest about it), plus my father is and was a very good man. Just sharing that for me personally, the infidelity and everything that comes with it made me question myself is all.

-SOL
F
F
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
You rang?? lashes

Just curious if you had any tips on the best wax to shape my mustache.
Be careful.

Unless you want your mustache to end up looking like Salvador Dali's. MelodyLane is the queen of "high hair!"

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
F
F
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
If you are still reading, Fred, you might find this one of interest;

A Generation of Men Raised by Women
Does anyone else find it "interesting" that our last two Democrat presidents were raised in predominantly women-only households?

Much has been said and speculated about their character (or lack of).

A correlation?

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 493 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation