Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25
H
OP Offline
H
As I mentioned in my last entry, I have become increasingly incensed with the manner in which men are portrayed in the media � especially in advertising. My latest beef is with a Coors Light commercial ostensibly promoting their new �ventilating can�.

It starts with a guy sitting with his female significant other getting a cell phone call. He turns to his lady and says that his friend needs to vent. She, quite sympathetically, tells him he should immediately go over to his buddy and allow him to vent. The next scene is the guy arriving at a friend�s house with a six-pack and a big grin on his face telling his host that he has brought the new �venting� can. He then is shown sitting with several guys, drinking beer out of the new can, watching sports and calling his lady to tell her that he needs to be there longer because his friend must vent some more.

Let me explain my outrage. First message � men must get permission from their female companions to be playful with other men. Translation, �Mommy, can I go out to play.� Furthermore, since permission will probably not be granted unless you are a good boy and done your homework a guy has to come up with a ruse to escape. Second message � venting is a female behavior and by using this word he can con her by appealing to her feminine sensibilities. We all know that women support each other by creating a space for sharing concerns but men don�t do this. They just hang out in front of the tube drinking beer.

Thank you Coor�s and your ad agency for trivializing masculine energy. You are shaping a cultural view of masculinity that diminishes us and promotes stereotypical thinking about masculinity. Men need to learn how to honestly communicate their needs to their female partners in a respectful manner that does not marginalize those needs just because they are not always shared or understood by their companions. Being playful in the company of other men is part of who we are and we do not need to apologize for that desire. In addition, men need to embrace that fact that they can come together and share some of their frustrations and concerns in a non-shaming environment and not consider themselves less of a man. By denying this opportunity, men become further isolated and resort to destructive behaviors that negatively affect themselves and those closest to them.

I would hope that advertisers targeting men would learn to appreciate the best of masculinity rather than crude misperceptions. Let me know what YOU think about men in the media.

Richard Horowitz Past-President, Men Mentoring Men

http://www.mthree.org/men-and-the-media-ii/#more-215

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
OP Offline
H
And then there are those that are just NO help.

Doing more digging, more searching. I find a site calling itself the "Men's Issues Blog."

The banner across the top is the bottom half of a woman in a bikini, and the image for the first article is a woman about 3/4 dressed covering her breast.

REALLY?

The front page contains no less than 3 articles on "penis enlargement," and a dating article titled "I'm getting laid tonight."

Men's issues, indeed.

doh2

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

K
K
Y'all want to feel like a man?

Tell your doctor you want a prescription for test 250 mg twice a week.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower

As far as behavior and cognition, exogenous testosterone doesn't really show a lot of results.

The clinical trials were run to see if there was a link between aggression and T.

The findings were the reverse; being aggressive or competing raised testosterone levels, but exogenous supplementation of T did not increase aggressiveness - but it did increase status-seeking behavior.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=testosterone-bumps-up-status-seekin-2009-12-08

Exogenous supplementation of T can also lead to "T resistance," as having more than needed will lead to desensitization of receptors.

What is a problem is lowering of testosterone levels - or "manopause." In this case, supplementation of T can help restore aggression and motivation to levels coinciding with those which were baseline before the loss of hormonal levels.

Don't waste your money on the supplment if are young and healthy. Succeed, and your levels will rise naturally.

(Side note, married men; your testosterone levels will link with your wife's hormonal levels and menstrual cycle - much like how women of age in the same household will "match up" cycles)

K
K
Of course testosterone and aggression have nothing to do with each other. For some reason people think steroids=roid rage.

However, you will exude confidence.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

H
OP Offline
H
Of course testosterone and aggression have nothing to do with each other. For some reason people think steroids=roid rage.

However, you will exude confidence.

Or, engage in seeking status, and then status = confidence.

laugh

Nice little talk on males competing for status;

C
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

As far as behavior and cognition, exogenous testosterone doesn't really show a lot of results.

The clinical trials were run to see if there was a link between aggression and T.

The findings were the reverse; being aggressive or competing raised testosterone levels, but exogenous supplementation of T did not increase aggressiveness - but it did increase status-seeking behavior.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=testosterone-bumps-up-status-seekin-2009-12-08

Exogenous supplementation of T can also lead to "T resistance," as having more than needed will lead to desensitization of receptors.

What is a problem is lowering of testosterone levels - or "manopause." In this case, supplementation of T can help restore aggression and motivation to levels coinciding with those which were baseline before the loss of hormonal levels.

Don't waste your money on the supplment if are young and healthy. Succeed, and your levels will rise naturally.

(Side note, married men; your testosterone levels will link with your wife's hormonal levels and menstrual cycle - much like how women of age in the same household will "match up" cycles)

ITA..Thanks for this HHH

I am just a natural guy, if I work out and take vitimen supplements, and watch my fuel going in, I can expect good results. I would rather take supplements only after I do this first, and there has been a proven need for them. That goes for vitimens too.

My son swears by this guy who specializes in this feild, when I can afford it, I plan to see him.

I have a full time job now handleing my health and nutrition between diabetes, age, and broken up body. I appreciate all the info here. Thanks Boys weightlifter

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
K
K
CP, what's the guys name?

Oh, and, there's no way a doctor would rx that much test to anyone. Not that I haven't tried to convince my doctor it'd be a great idea. Her answer "but your test levels are normal. "

"that's the problem" is my reply

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

C
C
CP, what's the guys name?

Son doesn't remember. From what I do know about blood chemistry, and nutrition, and its just academic, and its more of how he deals with it than anything else. He constantly measures and taylors diet to your needs. That is important, because as you work out more, your needs change, until where you are where you want to be in performance, and you can match up your dietary needs.

Its a lot of work and he is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

R
R
im pretty new here but here it goes

to me being a good man means taking care of family and myself in whatever way possible whether that means working 60-70 hrs a week or staying home with the kids, to me being a man also means being being involved with your family and knowing what they need emotionally (im still trying to improve in all of these areas)

one thing for me personally, any man that would hit a woman is no man at all IMO he is a punk trying to act like a man. but that is how i was raised and i still believe it.

male 43 years old
married 9 years (might not make it to 10 years)
3 kids 1 from previous marraige 2 from current marriage
C
C
Originally Posted by Rouge1

to me being a good man means taking care of family and myself in whatever way possible whether that means working 60-70 hrs a week or staying home with the kids, to me being a man also means being being involved with your family and knowing what they need emotionally (im still trying to improve in all of these areas)

one thing for me personally, any man that would hit a woman is no man at all IMO he is a punk trying to act like a man. but that is how i was raised and i still believe it.

Sounds right to me

H
OP Offline
H

Thanks for sharing!

You bring up a good point; man as provider. Working 60-70 hours a week?

Most of us would do so gladly to provide for our family financially, because we believe that is our job.

However, in doing this to be man as provider, we sacrifice man as husband and father.

That's one of the things that is mentioned in the "Generation of Men Raised by Women" article - that the work ethic that takes us out of the home takes us also out of the family.

Do we need to provide? Yes. But, we also need to provide love, support, and presence. Financial support is not enough to make us absentee husbands and fathers as a trade-off.

C
C
Do we need to provide? Yes. But, we also need to provide love, support, and presence. Financial support is not enough to make us absentee husbands and fathers as a trade-off.

Yes ITA, and wise people live within thier means and provide time to be with the ones they are working for.

It is sad that people forget this, and go for the glitz of a new car or house, somehow thinking status will make thier marriage better at the cost of thier marriage.

But that is what happens to many, and when the money is finnally won, and they have all the "stuff", they are married to someone they don't know anymore.

Some of the people out there have had to struggle to survive, but yet many make poor judgements with money, and domestic realities.

I blame the media and advertisements, but blame won't keep me warm at night.

Good point HHH.

R
R
i also said that being home with the family is important also there are times when i have had to work alot of hours to cover the bills etc etc but as soon as we were caught up i would cut my hours back down and try to spend time with family.

working and having a family is like a balancing act too much of this and not enough of that can ruin a marriage or any relationship.

both of us work and we can barely make ends meet especially now with gas prices food diapers formula etc etc

male 43 years old
married 9 years (might not make it to 10 years)
3 kids 1 from previous marraige 2 from current marriage
B
B

Thanks for sharing!

You bring up a good point; man as provider. Working 60-70 hours a week?

Most of us would do so gladly to provide for our family financially, because we believe that is our job.

However, in doing this to be man as provider, we sacrifice man as husband and father.

That's one of the things that is mentioned in the "Generation of Men Raised by Women" article - that the work ethic that takes us out of the home takes us also out of the family.

This was a problem for me a couple of years ago and almost sunk my marriage. I was on about 60% travel for [big defense company] when I had been promised 25% travel, which my wife and I agreed to.

Fortunately I was able to get out of there last summer and go back to work for [small defense company] that I had helped found back in SC, working remotely from an office in Dallas. I still travel, but it's like 4 days a month and is planned weeks in advance.

Balancing work and family has always been a challenge for me. I take my role as sole provider very seriously and also have a high degree of pride in my work. Fortunately, my wife is very big on family dinnertimes, so I'm almost always home in time for dinner.

One thing that bothers me about myself is that I see going home for dinner as supporting my wife (SAHM) in terms of getting everybody through dinner, bath, stories, bed, and cleanup/prep for next day - rather than going home to spend time with my kids.

Maybe this is only because during the week I only see them when they're tired and squirrelly...I'm not sure. But I do feel disconnected from my kids a lot. I've always been fine at the mechanical aspects of childcare - preparing meals, changing diapers, bathing, first aid, keeping up with medications and so on. I enjoy reading stories to DS3 and helping DS7 with his homework. I just don't feel - nurturing?

I wonder if it's how I was brought up. My dad was career army and retired when I was 8, my mom was a SAHM and pretty much ran the house and all things concerning the kids. My dad wasn't distant or unavailable, I guess aloof is the better term for it. I didn't really get to know my dad until I was 10 or so.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
OP Offline
H
i also said that being home with the family is important also there are times when i have had to work alot of hours to cover the bills etc etc but as soon as we were caught up i would cut my hours back down and try to spend time with family.

working and having a family is like a balancing act too much of this and not enough of that can ruin a marriage or any relationship.

both of us work and we can barely make ends meet especially now with gas prices food diapers formula etc etc

Don't get me wrong, it's not being critical of you. It's a mindset we, as men, get into.

I know when I worked at the grocery store, my W got frustrated as heck at how "hard" I worked.

I was pretty much the "go-to" guy for the store, and anytime any gap needed to be filled, I was the one to get called in to cover it. Whatever needed to be done, I knew how to do it.

Reaching that balance is part of MB. Priority #1, above all else, is making sure there is the proper amount of UA time for you and your spouse; 20+ hours a week if you are in crisis, 15+ hours a week to maintain. If FC is a high need for either of you, 15+ hours a week need to be committed to that. Combine the to, and you easily get 30+ hours per week that has to be prioritized to spend with your family.

Bit,

Have you ever thought about setting aside days or times for each one of your kids individually for "Daddy dates?" I try to do this with my DD's - once a week they get to go to lunch and/or a movie with dad, and they get that time to have my full time and attention.

B
B
Have you ever thought about setting aside days or times for each one of your kids individually for "Daddy dates?" I try to do this with my DD's - once a week they get to go to lunch and/or a movie with dad, and they get that time to have my full time and attention.

I did that with DS7 for a while when he was younger. The problem now is scheduling - I have some flexibility in my work day, and I structure it to get UA time with my W.

Part of the issue is that I don't feel right taking one of the kids to do something special and leave my wife at home with the other two - her whole week is like that with one at school and the other two home. I try to get her an afternoon off every weekend, or at least a few hours.

That balance thing again. Just when we get everything figured out, something changes. We're learning to POJA the schedule; actually we did that last night. She agreed to review the schedule once a week, both to review the previous week to see how we did, and for the upcoming week.

It's a good suggestion and I will talk to W about it. DS7 has been itching to go fishing; the problem he'll face is that it requires sitting still and being quiet for more than 5 minutes at a time...

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by bitbucket

I did that with DS7 for a while when he was younger. The problem now is scheduling - I have some flexibility in my work day, and I structure it to get UA time with my W.

Part of the issue is that I don't feel right taking one of the kids to do something special and leave my wife at home with the other two - her whole week is like that with one at school and the other two home. I try to get her an afternoon off every weekend, or at least a few hours.

That balance thing again. Just when we get everything figured out, something changes. We're learning to POJA the schedule; actually we did that last night. She agreed to review the schedule once a week, both to review the previous week to see how we did, and for the upcoming week.

It's a good suggestion and I will talk to W about it. DS7 has been itching to go fishing; the problem he'll face is that it requires sitting still and being quiet for more than 5 minutes at a time...

Yeah. I remember going fishing with my dad drove me nuts when I was young... until we were bringing in fish! That always made it more enjoyable.

Definitely agree that "Daddy dates" shouldn't interfere with UA time, or lump more work on the W.

Maybe a sitter for the littlest, a trip to the day spa for W, and a day at the park for Dad and the others?

B
B
Maybe a sitter for the littlest, a trip to the day spa for W, and a day at the park for Dad and the others?

I wish I could fund that every week! We're still trying to pay off the last of the credit cards and fund 529 plans for the kids.

I'm sure me taking DS3 somewhere and the W staying home with DS7 and DD1 wouldn't be a problem - DS3 is the instigator/troublemaker, and getting him out of the house would be a break for my wife in itself.

I emailed my W about it; if she likes the idea we'll brainstorm ways to make it happen. We're learning to do that too. With summer coming we'll have more flexibility in the kids' schedules.

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by bitbucket

I wish I could fund that every week! We're still trying to pay off the last of the credit cards and fund 529 plans for the kids.

I'm sure me taking DS3 somewhere and the W staying home with DS7 and DD1 wouldn't be a problem - DS3 is the instigator/troublemaker, and getting him out of the house would be a break for my wife in itself.

I emailed my W about it; if she likes the idea we'll brainstorm ways to make it happen. We're learning to do that too. With summer coming we'll have more flexibility in the kids' schedules.

Awesome!

Your comment about not feeling "nurturing" really resonates.

I think we tend to get so tangled up in our other roles and tasks that we forget how to invoke that feeling, if we ever knew how.

I think, though, that it can boil down to things that are so seeming small and simple that we overlook them.

You mentioned reading to your kids. That's awesome.

We need to play with our children, too.

Now, does anyone have any clue how you play with a 13-year-old girl?

I apparently do not produce additional Y-chromsomes...

crybaby

(really, I'm giggling on the inside)

Page 9 of 25 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 611 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation