Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Reynolds531
Unruly? I don't think I have seen that yet. When someone brings a keg and a bunch of sheets to make togas then we can worry.

Ran into something last night, not holding it up as a great resource or anything but it was funny and entertaining and some might pick up some stuff from it on relationships.

Utube "hogwild relationship advice" its a comedian who answers emailed questions. Its a paid site and mostly amateurish but some of its funny. Might also be a few tidbits in there.

Youtube; Katt Williams self esteem.

I ROFL'd... HARD. Too "dirty" to post here, but the point is well made.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
C
On iPhone and watchin my GD ATM so I will respond when I get home
I liked that tosh joke too lol
I got some stuff from my IC about strengths and virtue analysis ( oh boy!) and it has some interesting things to say about the difference between spirituality, religion,and transcendence
I know sounds like I wear hemp and live on rice with that word right?

Lol will be back on later hate this keyboard

C
C
Sorry, guys, for my intrusion into your clubhouse, but I wanted to give a resource on spirituality vs religion: the Dalai Lama's book Ethics for the new Millennium, specifically chapter two. Religion is concerned with claims to salvation, spirituality is concerned with the qualities that lead to happiness for self and others <<< the short version. The whole book is very good.

*flees before someone puts gum in my hair*

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
R
R
Putting no gurls allowed on the door just encourages them doesn't it?

LOL

FBH,Dad
No half measures, in anything.
M
M
Originally Posted by jessitaylor
we know where you guys are hiding.........
I'll have a beer while I'm here too.......
Hand me one, jessi - they'll never miss a couple...:::splat!::: Iron City!! Who drinks Iron City!? Blech! We're gonna have to go pick up some Leinenkugels.

Hey, I found this really cool sign over by the trash can that we can sit on until the new sofa is delivered - who in their right mind would spell 'gurls' with an 's'?? Everyone knows it's spelled 'gurlz'!

Want to order a pizza?

grin

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Ah, the thin line... if only we could make the thread invite-only, eh?
skeptical

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
C
*walks back in with a six-pack of Sunset Wheat, pops a top for MB*

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
S
S
Climbing up the rope ladder to ask if some of you could look in on Jeremeka over at SAA. Pep and Mel have him, but a dose of nutty speak is sorely needed.

Climbing back down now.

M
M
Originally Posted by CWMI
*walks back in with a six-pack of Sunset Wheat, pops a top for MB*
Now, then! That's more like it! Thanks, CWMI! Have a sit-down - pizza's on the way!

[Linked Image from thesmilies.com]

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
N
Originally Posted by Surfer88
Climbing up the rope ladder to ask if some of you could look in on Jeremeka over at SAA. Pep and Mel have him, but a dose of nutty speak is sorely needed.

Climbing back down now.

Here's the thread in question:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2518344&page=1

Typical thing-- WW with a BH that stays home with the kids while she keeps an apartment. He needs to put his foot down, but is worried his wife will leave if he does. You know the drill.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

C
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
..But, I know the FEELING of spirituality. I know how it FEELS different than any other emotion, and in that feeling you feel CONNECTED to everything and something larger than yourself.

Yet, what conjures these feelings for myself is not something magical, mystical, spiritual, or divine. What conjures this in me is the idea of how HUGE our universe is, how SMALL we are in comparison, and how despite all of that, we ARE connected to everything, and that the universe AS A WHOLE is something far greater than ourselves even without mystical forces, spirits, or divinity. More-so, I think that can be recognized by those who DO believe in things mystical, magical, spiritual, and divine, and through that, they can stand in even MORE awe of those forces.

Beyond that, I believe that that spiritual feeling is a PERSONAL connection to that which an individual views as the greater.

Here is a direct quote I got from a worksheet given to me me by my IC about "Virtues and Strengths" I was also given a worksheet where I was supposed to check off my strengths, and as usual I understand and respect all of them, but can'r really pick out what mine are intrinsic to me personnaly. But I will work on that later..

Here is the part I would closly relate to the confusion about human beings having a spirit, but how spirituality is allways related to religion.. One of the most freeing part of my learning about Christ was that he did not respect religion over his relationship with the father, who was spirit and life.

Ok Here it is..
" Trancendence

I use "trancendence" for the final cluster of strengths. This term is not popular throughout history---"spirituality" is the label of choice---but I wanted to avoid confusion between one of the specific strengths, spirituality, with the nonreligious strengths in this cluster. like enthusiasm and gratitude. By trancendence, I mean emotional strengths that reach outside and beyond you to connect you to something larger and more permenant: to other people, to the future, to evolution, to the divine, or to the universe."

Then HHH he has a list of sub-headings that fall into that cluster. I will list the headings but not the definitions.

1.Appreciation of beauty and excellence
2.Gratitude
3.Hope/Optimism/Future-mindedness
4.Spirituality/Sense of Purpose/Faith/Religiousness
5.Forgiveness and Mercy
6.Playfullness and Humor
7.Zest/Passion/Enthusiasm.

Here is one of the scriptures that I beleive shows the contempt Christ had towards organized religion in his day. Yes Churches do wonderful work, but it up to us to work on ourselves and traditions can only help so much to understand what is really important to God. But thats just my opinion..

Mark 7
Amplified Bible (AMP)

Mark 7
1 NOW THERE gathered together to [Jesus] the Pharisees and some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem,
2 For they had seen that some of His disciples ate with [a]common hands, that is, unwashed [with hands defiled and unhallowed, because they had not given them a [b]ceremonial washing]--

3 For the Pharisees and all of the Jews do not eat unless [merely for ceremonial reasons] they wash their hands [diligently [c]up to the elbow] with clenched fist, adhering [carefully and faithfully] to the tradition of [practices and customs handed down to them by] their forefathers [to be observed].

4 And [when they come] from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they purify themselves; and there are many other traditions [oral, man-made laws handed down to them, which they observe faithfully and diligently, such as], the washing of cups and wooden pitchers and widemouthed jugs and utensils of copper and [d]beds--

5 And the Pharisees and scribes kept asking [Jesus], Why do Your disciples not order their way of living according to the tradition handed down by the forefathers [to be observed], but eat with hands unwashed and ceremonially not purified?

6 But He said to them, Excellently and truly [[e]so that there will be no room for blame] did Isaiah prophesy of you, the pretenders and hypocrites, as it stands written: These people [constantly] honor Me with their lips, but their hearts hold off and are far distant from Me.

7 In vain (fruitlessly and without profit) do they worship Me, ordering and teaching [to be obeyed] as doctrines the commandments and precepts of men.(A)

8 You disregard and give up and ask to depart from you the commandment of God and cling to the tradition of men [keeping it carefully and faithfully].

9 And He said to them, You have a fine way of rejecting [thus thwarting and nullifying and doing away with] the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition (your own human regulations)!

10 For Moses said, Honor (revere with tenderness of feeling and deference) your father and your mother, and, He who curses or reviles or speaks evil of or abuses or treats improperly his father or mother, let him surely die.(B)

11 But [as for you] you say, A man is exempt if he tells [his] father or [his] mother, What you would otherwise have gained from me [everything I have that would have been of use to you] is Corban, that is, is a gift [already given as an offering to God],

12 Then you no longer are permitting him to do anything for [his] father or mother [but are letting him off from helping them].

13 Thus you are nullifying and making void and of no effect [the authority of] the Word of God through your tradition, which you [in turn] hand on. And many things of this kind you are doing.

14 And He called the people to [Him] again and said to them, Listen to Me, all of you, and understand [what I say].

15 There is not [even] one thing outside a man which by going into him can pollute and defile him; but the things which come out of a man are what defile him and make him unhallowed and unclean.

16 [f]If any man has ears to hear, let him be listening [and let him [g]perceive and comprehend by hearing].

17 And when He had left the crowd and had gone into the house, His disciples began asking Him about the parable.

18 And He said to them, Then are you also unintelligent and dull and without understanding? Do you not discern and see that whatever goes into a man from the outside cannot make him unhallowed or unclean,

19 Since it does not reach and enter his heart but [only his] digestive tract, and so passes on [into the place designed to receive waste]? Thus He was making and declaring all foods [ceremonially] clean [that is, [h]abolishing the ceremonial distinctions of the Levitical Law].

20 And He said, What comes out of a man is what makes a man unclean and renders [him] unhallowed.

21 For from within, [that is] out of the hearts of men, come base and wicked thoughts, sexual immorality, stealing, murder, adultery,

22 Coveting (a greedy desire to have more wealth), dangerous and destructive wickedness, deceit; [i]unrestrained (indecent) conduct; an evil eye (envy), slander (evil speaking, malicious misrepresentation, abusiveness), pride ([j]the sin of an uplifted heart against God and man), foolishness (folly, lack of sense, recklessness, thoughtlessness).

23 All these evil [purposes and desires] come from within, and they make the man unclean and render him unhallowed.

I allways heard it as .."It is not what goes into a mans mouth that defiles him, it is what comes out of it" Words are powerful.

My favorite quote I heard given as a response to someone who was trying to "Save" and individual and bring them to thier church,(Yes their church was the only "good one"), was this.

"Jesus allready had a religion, he wasn't trying to start one.."

In my opinion, that Woman knew Gods heart.

Last edited by ConstantProcess; 06/09/11 07:25 PM. Reason: mouth
C
C
Originally Posted by CWMI
Sorry, guys, for my intrusion into your clubhouse, but I wanted to give a resource on spirituality vs religion: the Dalai Lama's book Ethics for the new Millennium, specifically chapter two. Religion is concerned with claims to salvation, spirituality is concerned with the qualities that lead to happiness for self and others <<< the short version. The whole book is very good.

*flees before someone puts gum in my hair*

Sounds right to me. What religious practices seem to do is try to force others to walk, talk, and act the correct?/same ways, to make the group happy all together at the same time. So maybe that is why they see thier religion or tradition as "salvation".

But that makes total sense to me.

M
M
Typical thing-- WW with a BH that stays home with the kids while she keeps an apartment. He needs to put his foot down, but is worried his wife will leave if he does. You know the drill.
Another future (hopefully) member of the "Return of Man" club. I'll even clean up our pizza box and empties and get out of here if you can help convince him that laying down for his wife will not make her respect him.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 06/09/11 08:34 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

S
S
Yup. Thanks North! I saw your reply!

S
S
You too, MB! smile I lurk a lot! Even in the clubhouse...hehe.

M
M
Originally Posted by Surfer88
You too, MB! smile I lurk a lot! Even in the clubhouse...hehe.
I saw your post to jerem - you're doing great!

Whattya mean, you were lurking in the clubhouse??? Are you the one who took the last slice of pizza while we were playing Texas Hold Em??? Dang, and I blamed jessi...I'll have to apologize to her...

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
N
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Another future (hopefully) member of the "Return of Man" club. I'll even clean up our pizza box and empties and get out of here if you can help convince him that laying down for his wife will not make her respect him.

I subscribed to it to see if he replies, but a buck gets you twenty that it'll go on for a few pages while he ponders what his wife's reaction will be. Too bad there's no pill we could give him to fix that! If we could get him to just skip ahead a bit, he could probably get some traction.

Shoot, I think my thread drug on for months before I got fed up. Sometimes you just have to get pissed off, get down in the gutter with the bad guys and take whatever comes as a result of standing up for yourself.

WW's like those in Jeremka's thread really get me riled up sometimes. Especially when there are kids involved. I don't know if some of those betrayeds (like Jeremka) understand that we get on them because we actually give a damn, or if they think we're just clueless to the specifics of their situation and are being too gung-ho. Doesn't matter, probably.

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

N
N
Being gender-neutral on ALL issues, I believe that the ladies should most certainly be permitted here:

[Linked Image from languagerocket.com]

[Linked Image from files.myopera.com]

[Linked Image from friskylizard.com]

Hey, Andy, the blue umbrella matches your eyes!

C
C
Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Sometimes you just have to get pissed off, get down in the gutter with the bad guys and take whatever comes as a result of standing up for yourself.

Yup, If you wont stand for something you'll fall for anything. When the little lovely sweet things get exposed for the Baloney, it just hard to make the adjustment, "Hey, I didn't know she would do that!"

Best thing you can do, stand up for yourself, especially when they are taking a dump on you.

M
M
Is this a jackhole convention???? MrRollieEyes

Mel the delphi... grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation