Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
OP Offline
P
santa001

A Christmas BUMP

S
S
thank u so much for posting all of this! i'm a new Italian on MB. The Midlife for Dummies is my W in a nutshell. that is the essence of her. she has been in the habit of trolling thru my phone looking at my browser history bc she is curious what i'm posting on MB. also my notes app bc that is where i "leave" things that are on my mind or various phrases, sayings, etc. i made a point of pasting a lot of the above in there hoping the W might actually look. doubt it bc why "should i bother?"

Waywards = definition of narcissists.

Happy Holidays PB!!

G
G
Originally Posted by GloveOil
[Linked Image from venusvision.com]
Lurker,

Getting tired of the sneaking around?

Running out of alibis to give your husband?

Tired of not knowing how this'll end for your children, and scared of those moments & hours when you don't even care?

Hating how, afterwards, it doesn't feel completely right?

Tired of looking at that woman in your mirror and wondering who she's become, and of not being sure you even like her anymore?

You can change your marriage. You can make it better than it was.

This other guy is not the answer for you. I think that, deep down, you know that, don't you?

Then 'fess up. And read up.
New year, new <bump>

G
G
[Linked Image from assets.sbnation.com]
Lurker,

Not sure you like who you've become?

Not the guy you wanted to be? The kind who pays cash for hotel rooms?

Not the kind of guy who does this sort of thing to his wife behind her back?

Having a hard time living with what you've been doing?

Come clean. There's a way back.

Stick around. Read...
New year, new <bump>

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.
lashes

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Pepperband
[Linked Image from blogsoma.net]

Victimhood is not going to raise your self esteem.

P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from 3dtotal.com]

How does it feel ... living a secret life so far away from what you know is good & right?

Adultery will never make you a better person.
Adultery always leads to pain for the guilty as well as the innocent. Adultery is death to your goodness.

P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from fc09.deviantart.net]

Are you sick & tired of feeling so lost in of the fog of adultery?
Find your way home .... Call the Harley counseling center.

P
OP Offline
P
So, what is it like?
Do you *think* you might be happy if you married the person you committed adultery with?
You know, the other adulterer?
It might look like this.
Written by NewCreation on 02/17/2011

Originally Posted by NewCreation2011
My perspective is from that of the OW who became the new wife. I hope this helps someone.

You will get to be responsible for destroying the life of another woman. You will get to be responsible for destroying the lives of all children involved. No, children are not resilient. They are sponges and take in everything around them whether they are capable of processing it or not. And when they are not able to process their world being shattered and all the conflicting messages about right and wrong, you will get to deal with all their issues and mistakes and anger as they grow up. You will have to know all the while that whatever is happening is a direct result of your selfishness. If the child fails at school, can�t control their anger, becomes promiscuous, falls into addictions, can�t maintain good relationships of their own you get to know in the back of your mind and deep in your soul that you are responsible for what molded that child. Whether you admit it or not, you WILL know. You will not be able to fix this; it will not work out, smooth over, or ever be okay. Even if you look like the Cleavers on the surface it is under there bubbling and will come out. Don�t think you are special and you will escape this result.

Maybe right now you are in a place where you are in deep denial about the children and you don�t give a crap about the BW. Let me appeal to your sense of selfishness then and tell you what you personally are going to suffer in the years to come�

You are marrying a cheater. Someone who didn�t like what they had at home so they went looking for something better. Or maybe you offered him something better? It doesn�t really matter who started it, who lied more, it doesn�t even really matter if you were tricked into a relationship not knowing he was married at first. Your consequences will be the same. You now have a spouse who gave up one family and chose you and yours. Feels great right? Think again. How long do you think it will take before you stop feeling like a prize?

The minute things go wrong, and face it, in all marriages there are these times, he is going to be looking at you and wondering if you were worth it. And you will feel it. Even if he doesn�t say it right out. He is going to realize that this marriage requires just as much work as the old one did and you are not nearly as perfect in real life as he thought you were and he is going to be angry for what he has sacrificed for you. Now you get to be insecure and feel like you are always fighting to be worth it to him.

You are going to be labeled as the [censored] for the entire rest of your life. No matter what changes or personal revelations you come to, you will be the [censored] that wrecked a home and stole a husband. There will be innumerable family conflicts over this. You are likely to have his kids hating your guts forever. This means that every holiday, school concert, soccer game, big family event like graduations and weddings, and grandkids (yes, it will last that far and long) will be sources of conflict instead of happy times.

You will probably not be invited to a lot of things that your spouse should be attending with his children. You may show up anyway, asserting your position as the new wife. But it will be a conflict. You spouse will have to over and over choose between you and his original family. He is going to resent you for this. You are going to get so tired of constantly being the center of conflict and so tired of all the hate directed at you and no one is going to sympathize with you. When you do impose yourself where the BW and her children and extended family and friends are you will feel the scarlet letter that you wear burning in your chest no matter how high you try to hold your head. I promise you, you will. You and your stolen spouse will fight over this more than you can imagine in the years to come.

And guess what?! When he starts to pull away from you and works late more, or isn�t insatiable in bed with you anymore, or cuts his hair a new way you are going to be terrified. You are going to be terrified because you know exactly what he might be doing next. You are going to be suspicious probably before he actually even does anything because you already know he is untrustworthy.

Chances are he is going to cheat again too. Except this time on you. Now, you get to feel the pain of being a BW doubled by the pain of realizing exactly what you did to someone else. The guilt and shame on top of your already devastating pain from being cheated on will be unbearable. Now listen to this closely NO ONE IS GOING TO CARE!! You are going to hear and know that you should have known better and have the old adages about cheaters thrown in your face over and over. You will not be able to come somewhere like these boards for support because they are going to crucify you! You will be all alone with your pain and your heartache with no one to blame but yourself.

Do not think you are special. DO NOT THINK IT WON�THAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!!!!!! The stats are overwhelmingly high. No one gets married thinking that their spouse will cheat. No one. I promise you are not different or better somehow.

Occasionally an affair partner will grow a conscience and want to be a good person and here is what happens�

Now, let�s say that you make changes in your heart and your life. Let say you find God or in whatever way it comes to you, you realize that you have done something horrendous. Okay, now you actually do care about those kids and that BW. Well too bad. You can�t fix it. Yes, God will forgive you if you repent. Not many others will. And you will have one heck of a time trying to forgive yourself. You will feel sick and ashamed all the time. You will cry many bitter tears.

You will not be able to look at your spouse and feel the same way you once did. All of your memories of when you first met, your first kiss, the early days of your relationship will be tainted. All of those memories that are supposed to be sweet will be sour. You will not be able to enjoy them because you know that whole time it was wrong, wrong, wrong! What are you left with? Not much.

You are going to try to offer apologies, you are going to try to figure out what you can possibly do to make amends and there are going to be no easy answers. You will be told by many that you can�t repent and stay married. You will be told by just as many that if God has forgiven you that another divorce would be just another sin. You will make yourself crazy over this because you want to do the right thing for once in your life and you have put yourself in a situation where it is impossible to know what that it.

Also, if you are one of the few who have this attack of conscience at some point down the road, you are still going to be dealing with all the same stuff above that the unremorseful affair partner is dealing with except it�s probably going to hurt you even more because you now genuinely care. Too bad no one will think you are sincere or trust your words. Why should they, remember what you did?? Of course you do, now go cry some more as if it will help.

There are no time machines people!! You are making a mess bigger than you can ever clean up!!

There is really a lot more I could say about how this is going to play out but this is already getting very long.

Like I said, this is from my perspective but just change the pronouns and it is the same for anyone entering into an adulterous relationship. Man or woman, whether you are the WW, WH, AP, it�s going to end in ruin.

You have been warned.

And if anyone out there is currently involved in waywardness and wants to ask me something, fire away! I will answer any and everything asked if it will get you to stop what you are doing and reconcile your family before it is too late.

Unfortunately if you are already married to your AP don�t bother asking me. I can�t help you because I cannot help myself. I live in the ruins of my own creation. You like me should have seen the light sooner. Sorry.

To the BS out there who may read this, I can only hope that knowing that your spouse is not going to be happy and their AP is not going to be happy helps you feel a little bit vindicated. I promise you that even if they look like the picture of happiness on the outside they are not. They have a cancer eating their souls. You can have a better life. They won�t.

NewCreation2011
LINK to original thread.

M
M
Bump for anyone who might be lurking tonight, needing help. Are things not going quite according to plan? You're not happy with your mate, and you're not happy with yourself? Still doing things you wish you could stop?

There are friends here to help.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Bump for any lurking friends.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Bump for anyone feeling lost ... free maps and directions, available here.

G
G
[Linked Image from assets.sbnation.com]
Lurker,

Not sure you like who you've become?

Not the guy you wanted to be? The kind who pays cash for hotel rooms?

Not the kind of guy who does this sort of thing to his wife behind her back?

Having a hard time living with what you've been doing?

Come clean. There's a way back.

Stick around. Read...
Awright, so you let things go too far. You thought you could stop. It's fun when you're with her -- she's pretty into you, huh? But when you're back home with your wife & kids, you feel guilty... trapped in what you've been doing. Can't dare let your wife find out, right? So you're just gonna try to keep up the deception, is that it?
And you think that'll work, long-term? You got a plan for that?

Lurker, remember when you used to celebrate your anniversary? Now you're not sure whether you will or can again?
I'm celebrating #19 this week. Time was, I was afraid I wouldn't see #17.
You can still fix things. You can have a marriage that's better than it ever was before.
But man, you've got to choose what's right while there's still that chance. 'Cuz the deeper you get in & the longer you stay there, the harder it's gonna be to get out with the things that'll truly matter to you one day.

G
G
[Linked Image from venusvision.com]
Lurker,

Getting tired of the sneaking around?

Running out of alibis to give your husband?

Tired of not knowing how this'll end for your children, and scared of those moments & hours when you don't even care?

Hating how, afterwards, it doesn't feel completely right?

Tired of looking at that woman in your mirror and wondering who she's become, and of not being sure you even like her anymore?

You can change your marriage. You can make it better than it was.

This other guy is not the answer for you. I think that, deep down, you know that, don't you?

Then 'fess up. And read up.
So this other guy sweeps you off your feet. But does he trust you? Do you feel like you can trust him? If he had to choose, would he choose you?

You husband chose you. Maybe he ignores you. Maybe he's not a great listener. Maybe he's put on a couple of pounds. Maybe he's gotten a little lazy. Maybe he takes you for granted. But he doesn't deserve what you're doing to him. You swore to him that you wouldn't. You swore without condition. And back then, in your heart of hearts, you meant it, too. You can't rewrite that.

All that other stuff can be fixed. But what you're doing now can't be fixed. It can only end.
You need to decide if it ends with you still being able to be someone you can be proud of again, someday.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
P
OP Offline
P
[Linked Image from i187.photobucket.com]

Don't let your sordid affair define your character and your future.

P
OP Offline
P

M
M
BUMP

H
H
Today, I do more than bump this thread.

Today, I present an analogy to the "gift" that the repentent wayward moving towards recovery now knows - the gift they would wish on nobody else;

If you dislike adultery being analogized to canceer, I suggest you view the damage adultery does to the betrayed spouse, the children, family, friends... and ultimately, the wayward spouse themselves.

Move towards remission.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 06/23/11 12:43 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
Bump for anyone who needs it!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
M
M

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 698 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation