Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
OP Offline
F
Hello everyone. I am a WW. Striving to be a true FWW. I am here for advice. Advice on how to move on after the affair I was involved in was exposed and terminated in one swift action of exposure. I have been brought to my knees and broken over the pain and hurt i have caused. I do truly know that what I did was wrong and I feel so much regret for what i have done. For the last year and a half I have lived in that crazy fantasy world of a very deep EA/PA.

A brief history of me: I was a BS over ten years ago. My husband denied the truth for years and my marriage never recovered and it just dragged on. A life of angry outbursts, controlling and selfish behavior, verbal abuse, nearly physical abuse continued for me and my son. My love bank was empty, EN's met by my H were a big 0. I don't feel like your typical OW. What is the typical OW anyway? Are we all little gutter rats? I am the Team Mom at the baseball games, the #1 fan in the stands at the football games, the volunteer at school functions. Just your average woman. I don't feel like a monster but am I? I met someone through my son's athletic activities. I was always there alone. My H rarely participated. This OM was attractive, friendly, and basically everything that I found attractive in a man. His most endearing trait was that he was an awesome Dad. Always there for his children. I was extremely attracted to that. His marriage appeared cold and distant from the outside and later I found out that he too was missing those important EN's too. His relationship lacked intimacy, emotional & physical connection and the all important SF need. We were drawn together and the typical affair ensued. It started as talking via cell phones, secret meetings, sexting, hotel visits, before you know it it's ILY's, soul mates, true love, blah, blah, blah, etc. My H was suspicious, looked at phone records and 1st D-Day was upon me. I moved my son and I out the next day. The affair continued and I lived on my own for nearly eight months. During the entire affair we both tried so many times to end it but could not stop going back for more. A true addiction. The addiction continued even when i moved back home. This whole thing was a wake up call to my H. I truly believe he had a spiritual change and is now a new man. 2nd D-day was several months after i moved home. More lies and it never stopped. My H told the OM to leave his family alone and he would leave his family alone. OM agreed but never stopped. My H had been wonderful and trying so hard to meet all my EN's but he knew that somehow the affair was still going on. He finally exposed to the OMW and it all hit the fan. The OM gave all my info to his W who met with me, called me and emailed me repeatedly. She said so many things to me that I so deserved and it was a very hurtful experience. He obviously denied ever caring for me and implied that I was using him for SF just like he was using me. Wow, eye opener! She did admit that there was very little emotional or physical connection between them and she realizes that there are things that she and he need to rebuild. He lied to me just as much as he lied to her. I was there to stroke his ego and give SF and that's about it. I felt much deeper emotions and a true connection with that man. Stupid WW fog! I was blinded by it. I was a liar too but not nearly as devious as he. I can honestly say that she and I have made our peace with one another. As much as that can even happen. I made amends to her in the only way i could by listening, being honest with her when he wouldn't and being accountable for what i did to her. The affair is over and finally there is no contact with the OMW. Contact with OM ended around the day of exposure.

Which leads me to why I am here. My life seems wonderful now. We are doing everything as a family. We are going to a wonderful church. I am trying so hard to meet my BH's needs and show my love for him. He is wonderful and we are totally honest about everything from both of our past painful relationship to our present loving relationship. It is all good except for one thing. I still have feelings somehow for the OM. I don't know why. He kicked me to the curb so fast like I was trash. Is that what I am? I know with all that I am that it is over and I know I will never go through that again or hurt my DH in that way anymore. I betrayed my H but I also feel betrayed by the OM. These are truly unwanted feelings that haunt me. I have dreams and still seem to miss him somehow. What is wrong with me? How have the other FWW's on this board dealt with this? I hope it fades with time but mainly I wish I didn't feel it at all. i only want a happy, loving complete life with my DH and DS with no unwanted feelings in between. So here I am Marital Bliss. You suggested I start my own thread so I look forward to hearing from you.

Me: BW/WW 45
Him:WH/BH 42
DS: 13
"You are more than than the choices that you've made. You are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create. You've been remade."
M
M
You ask if OW are "gutter rats," and I would ask you to reconsider making such an insulting comparison. After all, what has a gutter rat done wrong? Nothing. That is an insult to compare him to to an OW, who has done very much wrong.

It is all good except for one thing. I still have feelings somehow for the OM. I don't know why. He kicked me to the curb so fast like I was trash.

For some reason you are still very fogged out. That is usually a result of being continually triggered and staying in a fantasy. You fantasize about a man who only used you as a piece of toilet paper and then threw you in the trash at the first opportunity. How "romantic" is that? crazy

How would you explain your continued fogginess? Do you still see the OM? Drive by his house? Do your kids go to the same schools? How close does he live? Do you slobber over his facebook pictures? What is keeping you so triggered?

The way you recover from an affair is to a) cut off all contact [and I do mean all, even drive bys and panting over his pictures] and create a romantic relationship with your husband.

A brief history of me: I was a BS over ten years ago. My husband denied the truth for years and my marriage never recovered and it just dragged on. A life of angry outbursts, controlling and selfish behavior, verbal abuse, nearly physical abuse continued for me and my son. My love bank was empty, EN's met by my H were a big 0. I don't feel like your typical OW. What is the typical OW anyway

MrRollieEyes Ok, so you are so "special" that you just told the story of 99.9999999% of OW. What do you think defines an OW? It is climbing in the pig pen with some other woman's husband! So, yes you are not only "typical" you are a dime a dozen.

You pass around alot of blame for others but seem to take none yourself. You didn't have an affair because of your husband so I have no idea why you are listing HIS faults. You had an affair because you have sloppy boundaries around men. You allowed another man to meet your emotional needs. THAT is why the affair occurred. And they will occur again if you don't put on your big girl pants and take some personal responsibility here.

There is nothing your husband has ever done to you that is as abusive and cruel as your affair. Yet you are here pointing out his faults in an effort to justify your abuse of him. huh uh.... oh no... That dog won't hunt around here, Madam.

You talk alot about what your husband is doing for you but I want to hear what you have done to earn his forgiveness and make this right. Have you given him just compensation for the crimes you committed against him?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by foreversunshine
This OM was attractive, friendly, and basically everything that I found attractive in a man. His most endearing trait was that he was an awesome Dad. Always there for his children.

What a great guy. crazy He is such an "awesome dad" that he jeopardized his marriage and his children's safety and security for some filthy, cheap affair. Sorry, but that is not an "awesome Dad," that is a pig* who risked his children's family and his marriage for a big fat nothing.

*my apologies to pigs for the insulting comparison.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
Hello everyone. This OM was attractive, friendly, and basically everything that I found attractive in a man.

SO you find it attractive for a husband to screw whomever he can con into sex with him?

Its was attractive for him to use you as a semen depository?

It was attractive for him to abandon his wife and kids while he was "with" you?

BH: 46
FWW: 44
3 DD: 20,17,11
Married 24 years
PA/EA: 5/08
DDay: 6/08
NC: 8/08
Previous EA 1998 confessed 8/08
In Recovery
J
J
I am the Team Mom at the baseball games,

Do the other "moms" know you think its "attractive" to have sex with married men?

Married 24 years
In Recovery
J
J
HI found out that he too was missing those important EN's too. His relationship lacked intimacy, emotional & physical connection and the all important SF need.

Maybe because he spending his family time boinking you?

Married 24 years
In Recovery
S
S
FSS, you are taking a pretty good slam here and the reason is because you are still very foggy. Do you see how foggy you still are?

When was D-day? How long since your last contact--of any kind-- with OM?

F
OP Offline
F
Melody Lane: I knew that one was coming and I am sure there are many more like it just waiting. I did come here for help, not to be bashed. But I am a big girl and I can take it. I was hoping an experienced FWW would give me solid advice on how to deal with what's left of my issues. I was giving my history and describing what got me into the mess i put myself in. Believe me there are no drive bys and there are no more pictures or emails to agonize over. Gone. He does live in the same town but our kids go to separate schools. Sorry gutter rats. I didn't mean to insult them. I never said i was special or that my situation was romantic. I was being honest to say what first attracted me. I told my husband recently that I should have turned to him then and let him know that we needed to work on our M. Instead I turned to an A. Wrong move for me. Let me tell you something though. There is not one thing you could say that his wife didn't already say to me. As for the OM he only changed when his wife found out. I am accountable and responsible for what I did. Absolutely 100%. But just like Dr. Harley says, unmet EN's are usually the cause of most affairs. Am I wrong on that? My needs were not met by my H and I was a good W to him for the biggest, let's say the first 11 years of my M. I know what your stance is on boundaries. Mine sucked. You are dead on about boundaries. That is one thing that my H and I are doing now. Meeting each other EN's, EP's so that this doesn't happen again, honest about our feelings. I am trying very hard to make it up to him. I want to be good again. Don't you see that is why I here? I am not making excuses for what i did. It was horrible and selfish. Don't despise me for being honest about my feelings.

"You are more than than the choices that you've made. You are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create. You've been remade."
M
M
Would it be possible to use paragraphs? Your posts are almost impossible to read.

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Yep. You are right. We were both pigs! No denying that. The affair is over though. No matter how sick and ugly it was. Now I am trying to get better and heal. Is there anyone who can help with that instead of throwing dirt on me.

F
OP Offline
F
I am new here and not used to the way things are done. I will try to do better.

M
M
Melody Lane: I knew that one was coming and I am sure there are many more like it just waiting. I did come here for help, not to be bashed. But I am a big girl and I can take it. I was hoping an experienced FWW would give me solid advice on how to deal with what's left of my issues.

Yes, and that is why I am posting to you. You have to first get honest about the reason you cheated and stop blaming your husband. Stop making excuses for what you did. Someone who takes accountability for their wrongs does not start with a list of SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULTS. crazy You started out with:
"A brief history of me: I was a BS over ten years ago. My husband denied the truth for years and my marriage never recovered and it just dragged on. A life of angry outbursts, controlling and selfish behavior, verbal abuse, nearly physical abuse continued for me and my son. My love bank was empty, EN's met by my H were a big 0."

.. and then commenced to blaming and bashing your husband. That is NOT taking accountibility. You had an affair for one reason and one reason only: you have poor boundaries around men. Yes, your husband is 50% responsible for the state of your marriage, but YOU are 100% responsible for having an affair. Had you not allowed another man to meet your EN's you would not have had an affair.

Until you take accountability for that, you are risk for a repeat affair. And I would say that risk is very great today just hearing how fogged out you are. The way you have romanticized a roll in the pig pen tells me you are still very fogged out.

So, if you are serious, then drop the blameshifting and start looking at the lady in the mirror. Honesty is the first step.

And PLEASE... use paragraphs. Thank you.

Exposure 101

E
E
Yep. You are right. We were both pigs! No denying that. The affair is over though. No matter how sick and ugly it was. Now I am trying to get better and heal. Is there anyone who can help with that instead of throwing dirt on me.

OK, how are you trying to help your BH heal?

Or are you still selfish and only worried about your healing?

How can I help you heal?

By leading you to focus on helping your husband heal from your betrayal. If you work on meeting his needs, eliminating your love busters, I'm pretty confident you'll find that you heal without any extra special techniques.

Just be a good wife, follow the program and help him heal from what you've done to him and you'll find that you've healed in the process of putting another person before yourself.

Last edited by Enlightened_Ex; 10/10/11 03:14 PM.
M
M

If you agree that you acted like pigs, then why romanticize the OM as if he were a good man instead of a pig? Why object to an accurate characterization?

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Smiling Woman, Yes, I know I am still foggy. That is why I came here. I'm ok with getting slammed. No one could have more loathing for me than I do myself. My H has known that the A was still going on for some time. He contacted OM 6 months or so ago but finally exposed A to OMW just over a month ago. Last contact with OM was over the exposure, so over a month ago.

I don't want to be foggy. That is the whole point. I have been reading here for a couple of months. I see what i did. I know how I hurt people. I am not in denial of that or think that i am in any way a good person for what I did.

M
M
Absolutely 100%. But just like Dr. Harley says, unmet EN's are usually the cause of most affairs.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
MelodyLane: Let me add something to what I have already written to you. I hope I'm not being too redundant.

You will hear Joyce and I repeat, "there are reasons but no excuses." One of the reasons for an affair is that emotional needs are not being adequately met in marriage, which makes an affair that meets those needs more tempting. But the same thing can be said of some who rob banks. They may be out of work, need money to pay the rent, ask for a loan but are refused by the bank, which makes robbing it more tempting. One reason for the robbery is that the bank refused the loan, but it wasn't the bank's fault that it was robbed. On hindsight, a bank might have helped the robber get the help he needed through social services, but the bank is under no obligation to do so, even though they advertise that it is a "caring bank."

An affair is different from robbing banks in that a couple have promised to be more caring than banks. But the principle is the same. The lack of care by one spouse does not excuse harmful behavior by the other spouse. Even when one spouse absolutely refuses to be affectionate, or to make love, or to talk intimately, or to join in recreational activities with the other spouse, it gives them no right to have those needs met by someone else of the opposite sex in an affair. They have the right to separate until the other spouse meets those needs, or even divorce when it becomes obvious that there will be absolutely no cooperation (there are many who strongly disagree with me on that point). But an affair is so cruel and so painful that nothing any one spouse does (including having an affair themselves) can justify the suffering that an affair causes.

Making a disgraceful act more tempting by someone is no excuse for that person committing the disgraceful act. Besides, in most marriages, there are times when emotional needs are not being met for reasons beyond anyone's control. That's why I recommend extraordinary precautions to help spouses avoid an affair. They are to not allow anyone of the opposite sex to meet their need for affection, or intimate conversation, or recreational companionship, or sexual fulfillment. When those needs are met, they deposit so many love units that you are likely to fall in love with that person, and make you hurt your spouse in the worst way possible. I hope that explanation helps.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Exposure 101

M
M
He contacted OM 6 months or so ago but finally exposed A to OMW just over a month ago. Last contact with OM was over the exposure, so over a month ago.

FS, folks here truly do want to help you, but you have to understand that you are still very foggy. That is evidenced by your blameshifting and romantization of the affair.

What seems pretty to you, is disgusting to others so it is good that you hear objective opinions from those who are not emotionally invested in your fantasy. It is shocking to see you talk about what a "great guy" the OM is when in reality he is a scumbag to any objective observer. What kind of "father" risks his child's family for some cheap nookie on the side? How on earth could such a man be called a good father? A good man?

See what I mean? So don't get defensive when people point out the reality to you. When the fog rolls off you will be agreeing.

Exposure 101

M
M
I don't want to be foggy. That is the whole point. I have been reading here for a couple of months. I see what i did. I know how I hurt people. I am not in denial of that or think that i am in any way a good person for what I did.

Have you told your son the full truth about your affair? Does he know that the OM is the fox in his hen house?

Exposure 101

F
OP Offline
F
Melody Lane: You are right. I tried to explain myself and I guess it came across as just an excuse. It is very hard to look in the mirror and see yourself for what you really are. I am trying to do that now.

I fully intend to take all those precautions. I can't get stuck in what i did and let it define who i am or could be. There is a remnant of the fantasy/fog still in my head. Would it be better of me to deny it or be honest about it. I want to heal from this. My H has been on this site at my recommendation and loves it. We are applying these principles to our marriage the best that we know how.

P
P
I still have feelings somehow for the OM. I don't know why.

Fantasy relationships are usually composed of about 5% reality and 95% daydreaming. You are holding onto the daydreaming fanciful notion of who/what OM represented .... because the real OM was never a part of your life.
This is OK if you are a young teenage girl, in love with Justin Bieber.
OM is your equivalent of Bieber.

This means, your residual "feelings" for OM are immature and fantasy based.

Best of luck.
I bumped a thread of mine for you.
To The Unfaithful Lurkers - A Gift.
There is a lot of basic information on that thread that may help you dump your fantasy and become a happy woman in the real world.

Last edited by Pepperband; 10/10/11 03:38 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation