Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 107 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 106 107
K
K
I would have someone there with you, someone impartial.

If you aren't already, I highly suggest noting when she calls, when she does anything with the kids, good or bad. A diary of this sort can be handy in your situation--where the WW who has left is trying to spin things. Note everything, EVERYTHING she does.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
Originally Posted by GJM
After today's events, I feel like she's planning something sneaky. She's losing her grasp and is backed in a corner and I think she's trying everything she can to point the finger at me or make me suffer. She wants to meet tomorrow and talk about more about it.

Whatever you do, don't agree to anything. Just listen and tell her "that is alot to think about, let me think that over and get back to you." Can you do that?

I would also stand up for your kids. They don't want to be over there all that time, so don't make them. There is no court order and no reason they should dragged around just to assuage her guilt.

Also, I want you start shifting the balance of power. She believes now that SHE is in complete charge of the situation and you will be at her beck and call. THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE.

Tell her you don't WANT HER to come back unless she makes ALOT of changes. Tell her clearly you don't want the old marriage back but that you are willing to give her an opportunity TO EARN YOUR FORGIVENESS but it will take a alot of on her part to prove herself to you enough to get you interested in the marriage again.

She will be SHOCKED to hear that you have conditions and are not willing to settle for less. But this is what it is going to take in order to take back control of your life and bring about a RECOVERED MARRIAGE. Because unless she does this stuff, the recovery of your marriage is hopeless.

Explain to her that you want to have a romantic, loving, SAFE marriage and that you won�t stay in a loveless marriage. You don't want the old marriage back. Tell her you are willing to give her an opportunity to earn your forgiveness. In order for the marriage to recover, certain things have to happen. This is what it will take to get you interested in reconciling:

1. end all contact with the OM for life

2. no more nights apart or going out without each other - create a healthy, integrated lifestyle

3. complete transparency - cell phone passwords, etc

4. no more opposite sex friendships

5. complete honesty about her affair<s> � passing a polygraph

6. commit to a program of recovery that restores the romantic love in your marriage

Tell her "this is what it will take to get me interested." Whether your marriage ends up with success or failure will depend almost entirely on her willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become absolutely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. Unless she makes a 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife, your marriage won't recover, it will be a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this approach, because if she won't do these things, you will have lost nothing except a loveless, abusive marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Yup. No meeting. No reason for a meeting.

Stay calm, and stay with the plan. Let her panic run its course.

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM
After today's events, I feel like she's planning something sneaky. She's losing her grasp and is backed in a corner and I think she's trying everything she can to point the finger at me or make me suffer. She wants to meet tomorrow and talk about the custody arrangement some more.

Agree to NOTHING and just tell her what I told you above about the kids not wanting to spend so much time there. Don't agree to anything, rather be real vague and just tell her this will have to be worked out in court.

PUT A VOICE ACTIVATED RECORDER IN YOUR POCKET!! <--------------real important

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
And, listen to ML.

K
K
I agree with surfer88.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
She's not interested in talking about our marriage so I doubt letting her know conditions will set in. She'll probably let it in one ear and out the other.

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

Z
Z
I think what Melody's trying to show you is that if you show up strong this way, it will shock her and perhaps even ATTRACT her.

She's going to be a bit piqued about this notion of having to prove herself to you. She's used to you being desperate for her attention. She's about to realize the game just changed. This display of strength and confidence will impress her though she probably won't let you know.

She will start thinking about and respecting the fact that you've finally put your foot down with her. It's attractive.

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM
She's not interested in talking about our marriage so I doubt letting her know conditions will set in. She'll probably let it in one ear and out the other.

Yes, I FULLY understand this. And she may look at you like you are on crack. But this needs to be said so she understands there has now been a shift of power and she can no longer come back unless she makes some serious changes. SHE STILL BELIEVES SHE HAS YOU UNDER HER CONTROL and can come back anytime on HER TERMS. You have taken back control of your life and if there is to ever be any future in your marriage IT WILL BE ON YOUR TERMS, NOT HERS.

See, she believes she can come back anytime anywhere and that is one of her options. YOU NEED TO DISABUSE HER OF THAT NOTION. Are you with me?

And the main reason she wants to talk to you tomorrow is that she senses she is losing control over you. She wants to get you back under her control. It is important for you to be FIRM and not cheesy tomorrow. Let her know from here on out it will be on your terms.

Women do not respect men they can run over and our love is very contingent upon the respect we feel. It is important for you to re-establish that respect with her and let her know that you will not be cooperating anymore.

Do you understand what I mean?

Exposure 101

M
M
i want you to memorize this statement and SAY it tomorrow and say it any time you see an opportunity. Be a broken record:

"I am willing to give you an opportunity to earn my forgiveness." <------your task is to drive that message home.

Exposure 101

M
M
She still sees you as an "option." You need to make damn sure she understands that you see her the same way. As an "option" that you might or might not take.

And that her "option" will not be available unless she meets your conditions.

Exposure 101

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you MelodyLane...I will memorize that statement and say it. I'm feeling empowered because now she's bringing my kids into it and I'll be damned if I give them up.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM
Thank you MelodyLane...I will memorize that statement and say it. I'm feeling empowered because now she's bringing my kids into it and I'll be damned if I give them up.

Let me ask you something. Do you want your wife back AS IS? Do you WANT the same marriage back? The marriage that experienced TWO affairs?

If you had no history with your wife, would you choose to date or marry a woman who lied, cheated and who never met your needs? A woman who made you dreadfully unhappy and sad? Your wife has made you miserable. Do you want that marriage back?

Exposure 101

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
No I don't want that old marriage back.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM

And just think, the only reason she is doing it is because SHE FEELS GUILTY. She doesnt give a RIP about their best interests at all or she wouldnt have left to chase some loser. uuuuuuuuuh no. I would let her know there will be LESS contact because this is not good for your kids. Tell her the kids don't even want to talk to her.

Exposure 101

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I sure will. I'm tired of being in this pit of misery.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
You are doing great and I am sure you will do great tomorrow. what time are you meeting?

Exposure 101

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
She gets off of work at 12 so I'm sure some time after that.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM
I asked her if she wanted me to give up our home and she said she didn't know.

You SURELY are not serious with this question, right?

Exposure 101

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
No I was just seeing where her head was at because the kids have their own rooms here.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

Page 23 of 107 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 106 107

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 372 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation