Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
OP Offline
I
bump for Mr Amazed.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
Originally Posted by BillCarolina
Originally Posted by MFJ1974
Berlize

Belize........ grin

ROFL laugh

Me BW (37)
WH (37)
DD1 6 yrs DD2 2 yr

A man who abandons his wife and children because of his infidelity is no price. I can do better then that, I deserve better then that.

The difficulties and struggles of today are but the price we must pay for the accomplishments and victories of tomorrow

Men must be honest with themselves before they can be honest with others. A man who is not honest with himself presents a hopeless case
L
L
bump

Me -BS 40
Him - FWH 34 (dtl)
3 D-Days from 12/25/10 to 01/06/11
NC - 01/09/11
02/20/12 done beating my head on that wall.
I
OP Offline
I
bump

I
OP Offline
I
bump

P
P
From my "notable" thread. An oldie but a goodie:

Originally Posted by PrincessMeggy
All WS suffer from the same ailment: liarrhea

Main Entry: li·ar·rhea

Function: noun
1 : abnormally frequent verbal evacuations of untruths

PrincessMeggy nailed it (with humor too !)

G
GJM Offline
G
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Dear me.

It seems like every other post from newbie BSs on this forum seems to contain the phrase 'My WS says....'

This is ok (ish), except when followed by the fatal 'I do believe him/her'

The worst ones then follow up with a desire to 'trust'.

I therefore submit a golden rule.......

NEVER TAKE THE WORD OF A WAYWARD. IF THEY SAY THE SKY IS BLUE -LOOK UP TO CHECK. IT SOUNDS TRUE BUT IT IS PROBABLY RAINING.

Now everyone of us has been there, been gaslighted, been lied to very convincingly by people who we love and know to have honest and upstanding pasts. (oh yes, it's not just yours!)

That goes out of the window when they become addicts however.

A truly repentent wayward will jump through hoops to prove themselves with actions like an NC letter or a polygraph.

Words are just too inadequate and they know that.

Here is my top ten of things waywards lie about

2)It was a PA, but we only did it once/oral/kissing
I minimimize what I am ashamed of, though there is no logic in doing so.
3)It is your fault for not meeting my ENs
This makes me feel less guilty about my non existent boundaries with the opposite sex
4)Our marriage has been miserable for years
This makes me feel less guilty about my non existent boundaries with the opposite sex
5)I do not love you - I love the OP
I have betrayed my morals and everything I once believed in. I must love the OP - or else I am just stupid for risking so much. Actually I am just greedy and stupid. Dont tell anyone.
6)I want a divorce
But I will not bother filing. This is an idle threat to scare you into submission.
7) She/he is just a friend
That I value more than your discomfort with their presence.
8) I need privacy, that's all
So I can cheat on you
9) I dont need an NC letter because there is no contact
Please dont make me give up my cake
10)You are jealous/controlling/demanding
You are getting really warm and I dont like it.

Wow...I've heard all of these...

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

I
OP Offline
I
amazing how they use the exact same script isnt it!

S
S
Wow, does that hit home. Not all our on my list but, in some ways most are. To sum it all up, it is all your fault and drop it so I don't have to worry about the guilt I should feel.

Me BH previous user name SEM
WW Senninpaswife previous user name Keep Smiling
Married 16 years - HS sweethearts
2 kids, Boy 15 years, Girl 13 years

WW's Affair #1,2,3,4 @ 1 year into marriage All ONS type PAs
DDay #1 09/11/01 False recovery for 10 years

WW's Affair #5 07/11 - 10/11 with my best friend EA&PA
DDay #2 11/27/11
P
P
I think its also important to keep in mind that aside from outright lies, lots of BSs get half truths or hidden truths.

I knew there was something wrong in my marriage when my child-crazy h told me he know longer wanted kids. No reason. Just changed his mind that's all.

My reaction to this was to say 'you're lying'. Even though I had never said those words before to the man I trusted implicitly, I knew that such a dramatic change of heart didnt 'just happen'.

So he said: 'Why would I lie? This is hard for me to say. I risk losing a lovely wife, home and life."

Because I knew (instinctively and logically) that the latter statement was true, it made me doubt my gut instinct about the lie.

After that, whenever he told me our marriage problems were due to the kids issue, (rather than the secret affair) I believed him.

Lots of waywards use something that is clearly true to cover up something you suspect is a lie.

Such as:

Its stupid to dip your pen into the company ink (true) So I would never do it! (false)

She is nowhere near as pretty and smart as you! (true) I would never look twice at someone that desperate (false)

I love you (true) so you should trust that that is enough (false)

Havent I always been honest up to now? (true) and I am just as honest still (false)

Im here because I want to be here (true) I dont want to be anywhere else (false)

and so on.................

This is the art of gaslighting..

Damn good insight !!! hurray

Last edited by Pepperband; 12/02/11 12:35 PM.
I
OP Offline
I
kiss

Thanks Pep. And who did I learn this from? All the wonderful MBers on here.

I kid you not, I thought everyone on these boards was crazy when I turned up here. My husband would never cheat on me!

But everything you said would happen/ was happening turned out to be true. The script he gave me was predicted down to the letter. It isnt a hard one to learn and to pay forward to other BSs.

M
M
Originally Posted by tryingtofeelgood
"I believe you need me you dont really love me. Its like you are a lost little boy who just needs something"

I got something very similar: "You do not really love me, you just love the lifestyle you've grown used to"

That, and a whole selection from the list Indie posted. Funny how they all read from the same old script...

Me, BS, 35
J, WS, 33
12 years together, married 2.
No kids, just cats
D-day 06/30/11
In Plan B

"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
I
OP Offline
I
I think its also important to keep in mind that aside from outright lies, lots of BSs get half truths or hidden truths.

I knew there was something wrong in my marriage when my child-crazy h told me he know longer wanted kids. No reason. Just changed his mind that's all.

My reaction to this was to say 'you're lying'. Even though I had never said those words before to the man I trusted implicitly, I knew that such a dramatic change of heart didnt 'just happen'.

So he said: 'Why would I lie? This is hard for me to say. I risk losing a lovely wife, home and life."

Because I knew (instinctively and logically) that the latter statement was true, it made me doubt my gut instinct about the lie.

After that, whenever he told me our marriage problems were due to the kids issue, (rather than the secret affair) I believed him.

Lots of waywards use something that is clearly true to cover up something you suspect is a lie.

Such as:

Its stupid to dip your pen into the company ink (true) So I would never do it! (false)

She is nowhere near as pretty and smart as you! (true) I would never look twice at someone that desperate (false)

Havent I always been honest up to now? (true) and I am just as honest still (false)

Im here because I want to be here (true) I dont want to be anywhere else (false)

I have highlighted this for you quo, because your husband once risked his job for an affair. Now you think he will not do it again - because he says so.

sorry but addictions dont work that way.

We have had military waywards on here disobey direct orders to halt their affair. They have risked being court martialled. Listen to people who have hear this script many times before.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/02/11 03:24 PM.

P
P
" Lying is a cooperative act"

'Henry's Rule' is what I found the most interesting:

"Everyone is willing to give you something for whatever it is they are hungry for."

"If you don't want to be deceived, you have to know what it is you are hungry for."

Last edited by Pepperband; 12/04/11 10:50 AM.
M
M
My WH was actually pretty honest once.

I know you aren't supposed to cross that line, I just didn't stop it this time.

H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband
" Lying is a cooperative act"

'Henry's Rule' is what I found the most interesting:

Haha! Pep!

I watched that one a few weeks ago, but couldn't think of a venue.

"Everyone is willing to give you something for whatever it is they are hungry for."

"If you don't want to be deceived, you have to know what it is you are hungry for."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P

Such as:

P
P
I therefore submit a golden rule.......

NEVER TAKE THE WORD OF A WAYWARD. IF THEY SAY THE SKY IS BLUE -LOOK UP TO CHECK. IT SOUNDS TRUE BUT IT IS PROBABLY RAINING.

Other wayward liar tools of the trade.

Diversion & Distraction & Detour.

Not answering the question.

Are you having an affair? A yes or a no, thank you.

What? I would never do something like that. redflag
What makes you ask me that? redflag
I thought we trusted each other. redflag
Are you on your period? redflag
What's wrong with you? redflag
Are you back on that again? redflag
I love you. redflag

When you ask your wayward a yes or no question. Insist on a yes or no answer. Do not get distracted/detoured diverted.

Who were you with last night?

I was playing pool. redflag

When you ask your wayward a 'who' question and you get a 'where' response, repeat the question until you get a 'who' response.

Be very target savvy when asking your wayward questions.

If you ask a vague question such as:"What were you doing?" ... you will get a creative wayward response.
They can respond without (exactly) lying. Such as "I went for a drive." Or, "I was thinking things over."

It's better to ask "yes or no" questions.

If you want to know "where", then ask about a specific location. "Were you at the pool parlor last night?" This is especially helpful if you have a GPS on their vehicle and you already know where they were. You already know they never went near the pool parlor.

This also works when parenting teenagers. stickout

P
P
One of the biggest redflag responses a wayward can give is .....

"I won't even dignify that with an answer."

skeptical

Translation:
I don't care how uneasy/uncomfortable/vulnerable this situation makes you feel. I insist on protecting myself.

I
OP Offline
I
If you ask a vague question such as:"What were you doing?" ... you will get a creative wayward response.
They can respond without (exactly) lying. Such as "I went for a drive." Or, "I was thinking things over."

Good one, Pep. Unfortunately too many BSs get gaslighted into believing they are 'needy' 'clingy' or 'insecure'. The ENTIRE point of making someone believe this, is so that they get too scared to ask direct questions.

Ill put my hand up here and admit that I did ask this question

[Who were you with last night?

and ACCEPTED this as a response

I was playing pool. redflag

When you know better - you do better! doh2

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation