Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
is this where I would dr. harley?
Office@marriagebuilders.com

Him: 35
Me: 34
married: 2003
together since 2000
DS: 7
DS: 5
DS: 2
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just found this one...
mbradio@marriagebuilders.com.

together since 2000
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I'm assuming someone linked the "When to Call it Quits" article.

Hold off on the letter.

Educate yourself first. Write Dr. Harley, read the books, and then prepare a Plan A ----> Plan B scenario. Be prepared for plan B well before you begin your Plan A.

This letter you are so excited to deliver would be given AFTER a short Plan A, before you go into Plan B.

Dr. Harley may tell you different, though.

HHH, the letter is sent FIRST and is the start of her Plan A. Harley has told other women on the radio show to do it this way. The way it works is she sends him a love letter telling him what she needs to make her happy. She is asking him to do certain things. In it she tells him what changes she is willing to make too in order to make him happy. She gives her vision of a happy marriage.

This way, he is clear as a bell about what she needs to be happy. Harley recommends a letter rather than in person because it removes the emotional aspect. There are no fights, no emotions and there it is in black and white.

She then does Plan A for several months in the hopes that he gets on board too. If he DOESN'T, then she separates from him with no forewarning. So in the time she is in Plan A, she is working out a plan for separation in case it comes to that.

If I have time I will look for some radio clips on this. I know he doesn't mention this Plan A letter in the article, but he does talk about it on the radio show and I think it is a good idea.

Thanks for the update there!

Several months?

That is both hopeful and horrifying! shocked

The "When To Call it Quits" states a month, though. Which seems more consistent with the "normal" time period recommended to women. I also remember either reading in one of those articles, or hearing on the radio, about a woman spending several months preparing for Plan B before she began her Plan A so that if the Plan A portion did not work, she was absolutely prepared to take the next step. I think that's fair advice from Dr. Harley - to make sure you can successfully Plan B before you begin expending energy on Plan A. It could be quite distressful to be "stuck" in an extended Plan A because you couldn't make Plan B "doable" inside the duration you predetermined, you know?

Q,

The MB radio one is the correct e-mail. Shoot one off, and you just might be the radio clip.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The way it works is she sends him a love letter telling him what she needs to make her happy. She is asking him to do certain things. In it she tells him what changes she is willing to make too in order to make him happy. She gives her vision of a happy marriage.
This is exactly what I was looking for when you first asked me to write the letter... with this understanding I can try a new letter. thank you

The MB radio one is the correct e-mail. Shoot one off, and you just might be the radio clip.
done.

together since 2000
M
M
Q ... you are on the ball girl! Keep up the great work! and GET those books I mentioned!

MNG

M
M
Originally Posted by The_Q
We've been going to this marriage and family relations course, yesterday the topic was faith, prayer, forgiveness, repentance. There was a focus on how if you put God first then everything will just fall in line. if you pray together then your spouse will know how your feeling and will be able to make changes. There were comments about ignoring annoying habits so that they don't become an issue. they read a quote someone said about isn't it better to just ignore things you don't like, Isn't it better to say nothing �bury it?

What a sure fire way to FALL OUT OF LOVE! That is like putting a dirty band-aid on a wound and expecting it to heal. It doesnt' work. And this is one of the biggest problems with church marriage programs, they teach "unconditional love" which is a NON-BIBLICAL practice that leads to neglect and abuse. Harley has written several articles on that on the newsletter forum.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

The "When To Call it Quits" states a month, though. Which seems more consistent with the "normal" time period recommended to women. I also remember either reading in one of those articles, or hearing on the radio, about a woman spending several months preparing for Plan B before she began her Plan A so that if the Plan A portion did not work, she was absolutely prepared to take the next step. I think that's fair advice from Dr. Harley - to make sure you can successfully Plan B before you begin expending energy on Plan A. It could be quite distressful to be "stuck" in an extended Plan A because you couldn't make Plan B "doable" inside the duration you predetermined, you know?

In her case, she is going to need more time because she is pregnant. Fortunately, she is not in a terrible situation, such as adultery, etc. I am hoping that she can get him off the computer now, though.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Q .. now that you are on #3 for kids .. do you two plan on having any more? Has your hubby considered a V? I would highly reccomend it if you dont want more kids. My wife and I were done at 2 and then i got my V. For your hubbies piece of mind .. it was no worse getting done than getting a tooth filled at the dentist, infact it was probably a faster procedure then getting a tooth cavity filled.

MNG

H
H
[

In her case, she is going to need more time because she is pregnant. Fortunately, she is not in a terrible situation, such as adultery, etc. I am hoping that she can get him off the computer now, though.

Understandable - and the longer period will help her build a higher LB$ balance, which is what I see as "hopeful."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Q .. now that you are on #3 for kids .. do you two plan on having any more? Has your hubby considered a V? I would highly reccomend it if you dont want more kids. My wife and I were done at 2 and then i got my V. For your hubbies piece of mind .. it was no worse getting done than getting a tooth filled at the dentist, infact it was probably a faster procedure then getting a tooth cavity filled.
MNG
we are soooo done this is it we are not having any more! the difficulty that I go through during pregnancy is just too hard on everyone, and I am constantly fighting depression during it because of the complications. when this one is born I will be getting my tubes tied or cut & cauterized I don't know and I don't care. That is the one thing that both H and I have a very enthusiastic agreement about! lol

haha, it's funny because it's all alias's here I forget that I actually know you, lol

together since 2000
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
well now I'm torn... for christmas and now his BDay his brother has given him a couple of packs of warhammer figurines to put together and paint(they are essentially army guys). One of the things that we used to do when we were dating that we both enjoyed was painting pewter figs(fantasy/hero figs that would be used in a D& D game). warhammer is plastic and army guys, so it doesn't have quite the same appeal to me. he sat down at the table to paint them and so I sat with him and did a little touch up for him. I told him this was nice and that we should find more activities like this that we both enjoy and can do together. he said that yes we could do this together, we would have to invest in all the supplies again but it was do-able. since I don't play D & D and I haven't seen him use them in along time I asked him what the point of painting the pewter ones now? he said they could become just show case pieces that you never really use. ok I could get on board with that... however, my concern now is that his brother gave him this stuff with the intention that he's going to get into playing this game with him. I'm apprehensive about this because I fear that this is just the same crap in a different pile. I kind of like sitting and painting with him but for him it's a means to an end. he's doing this so that he can game with them. he'll get them all done up but then get really pissed if I turn around and say later that no I'm not ok with him going out to game...*sigh

thoughts?

together since 2000
H
H
Do you not like playing these games? I get that impression... because I would think if you enjoyed playing them and you weren't invited to join you'd probably be even more angry.

Honestly, the collectable/showcase reasoning is a lot better for the marriage. Why? Because it is something that you both enjoy doing together.

Have you tried doing the board/tabletop gaming with him, or do you have absolutely zero interest in it?

T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Do you not like playing these games? I get that impression... because I would think if you enjoyed playing them and you weren't invited to join you'd probably be even more angry.

I tried playing them and sometimes it was ok, but I would get so frustrated with the time and money commitment required to play them. mostly the time thing. There was a point when every time we gamed together everyone came to our house and I would cook for everyone, which I didn't mind but when we tried to get others to contribute to the meal fund they longer wanted to come. I feel like I could like the game but there are just so many factors that have built up and contributed to my hate for it. I tried playing magic but everyone else became so cut throat it was no longer enjoyable. it kind of developed that way to prevent my H from winning all the time, everyone would gang up to beat him. many of the games become like that everyone else works together to defeat H. he would make a fantastic army strategist! lol!

When I realized it was an addiction for him I wanted nothing more to do with it. I have always had the belief that part of this life is learning to control your own self and if you can't then you become a slave to whatever controls you, and you lose your freedom to make your own choices/ good judgments. I refuse to have anything control me. If I can't control myself then then the controlling factor is removed. just like alcohol or any other addictive substance. when you can longer control the when and how much of something you indulge in then I have no use for it. and I have removed things from my own life when I feel being drawn into them or like it's taking too strong of hold on me.
Honestly, the collectable/showcase reasoning is a lot better for the marriage. Why? Because it is something that you both enjoy doing together.
I agree but I worry about where it will lead to. he wouldn't be painting just for the enjoyment of painting he's doing it so he can play this game. once the painting for the game is done he will have no reason to continue painting. whenever we've done it in the past it was always a means to an end, the means was fun and enjoyable, but there was always an end.
Have you tried doing the board/tabletop gaming with him, or do you have absolutely zero interest in it?

I have zero interest in warhammer, i have a hard time with games that require large time commitments because there are more important things that do require time commitments that aren't being met. I like board games though, we both enjoy chess but not with each other. his strategy thought process is a beyond me. I have fun with the board games but he gets bored of them unless we are playing with other people. I'm constantly trying to find something that we can both enjoy together, and we have lots he just doesn't want to do it with just me. we almost got involved in a game of crib the other night. that was a staple activity in one of my homes when I was a teenager, and I liked it. we came home from school and there was always a pot of coffee or tea on and a game of crib going. we would sit down and play crib and talk about our day. It was great! I would love to do that with my family(minus the coffee and tea) but my kids aren't old enough and my H isn't interested.

together since 2000
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
edited...

T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I think part of the problem in finding something we both enjoy together is that I come to him with some thing that I think would be neat to see or do or try but he always says not interested. but is he not interested because his game is more interesting? so it really would be interesting if there wasn't other competition, or is it really something that holds no appeal to him? I feel like I will never know the answer to this until the games are gone and I feel like as a family we are missing out on many opportunities because of his lack of interest.
for example there was a russian fair that came our way a few weeks ago. H was adopted by a russian father when he was 2 or 3yrs old. his father had issues with his family so H never spent much time with them, never developed a sense of family or love for his heritage. I thought this would great opportunity to learn about it. it was family friendly so we could take the kids and it could've been a great learning experience for all of us, maybe shed some light on things he didn't understand about his heritage/family. But I got the not interested response. so everyone missed out on this potentially great opportunity to have a family day, and a learning experience. If there is one thing that we have both always agreed on it was learning and education. So I couldn't understand this...

together since 2000
C
C
It sounds to me like your H most enjoys things he can win, and that he does not enjoy beating you, or you beating him. So it seems he would enjoy it very much if you two got involved in something where you are allies and can beat someone else.

Trivia team partners? I don't know about your area, but here there are lots of pubs that have trivia nights, and you'd sit at your own table, alone together, and work out answers to trivia questions together.

Chili cook-off champions? Dancing competitions (lol)?

When looking for new things to do, keep in mind that he likes to use strategy and he likes to be able to beat someone else (but not you). Look for things where most of the 'game' involves just the two of you. I'm trying to think of more ideas, but perhaps your best strategy is to consider the things you like to do and the things he likes to do and find the common ones that allow him competition and you togetherness.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
T
The_Q Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by CWMI
It sounds to me like your H most enjoys things he can win, and that he does not enjoy beating you, or you beating him. So it seems he would enjoy it very much if you two got involved in something where you are allies and can beat someone else.

that might be part of it, but for the most part he doesn't find things challenging enough. that might sound a little arrogant but he is a physicist and mathematician.
Originally Posted by CWMI
Trivia team partners? I don't know about your area, but here there are lots of pubs that have trivia nights, and you'd sit at your own table, alone together, and work out answers to trivia questions together.
I would enjoy that but he doesn't like the ambience of pubs/clubs/bars smirk we used to play a trivia game with his parents but it was a little weighted with all the information pre-1970's and out of date or incorrect. we've tried finding a newer one that everyone would enjoy but so far nothing.

I try to get him to pick the activities because under normal circumstances I find enjoyment in just about anything and everything.

together since 2000
K
K
Why don't you ask him to jot down 10 different things he'd find fun. Hopefully somewhere in those 10 things, you'll find a few you'd find fun or at least willing to try out.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
Golf...

It's the perfect solution. You can never perfect it and it will drive the mathematician/physicist nuts. You can each play independently from each other OR compete among yourselves or against other couples. You don't have to be an athlete to play (sure it helps) but ANYONE can hack at it and, with practice and dedication...improve.

Just a suggestion. You can take lessons together and be together outside away from distractions (like the computer). Get some Vitamin D while you are at it.

Mr. Wondering

p.s. - this one just occurred to me .... geocaching Wikipedia - Geocaching

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
Went back and read the first page and realized my suggestions are a little ludicrous for a pregnant woman nearly on bed rest....with two other children under age 5.

I don't know what I was thinking...had I just looked at your signature line. I'm losing it....sorry

Mr W

Last edited by MrWondering; 01/25/12 12:08 AM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation