Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 75 of 107 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 106 107
L
L
I had a doctor tell me that women go through a stage in their early thirties. That was about the time my wife left. I also believe that my wife not dating anyone but me also had a lot to do with it. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope everything works out for you. If there is any thing I can do to help please do not hesitate to ask.

M
M
I was thinking about that , too, weld, since I noticed so many BH's have ww's in their thirties. I read something similar a while ago.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I also read the same thing. Not to mention their hormones change and things like that. I met my wife when she was 18.

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I had my counseling appointment today. The counselor wasn't very impressive. I asked him if he was familiar with marriage builders concepts and Dr Harley. He said he was. I thought it would be good since he knew of him.

I told him about the affair and about exposure and what not. His response to my son finding the affair phone was that maybe it wasn't good for the children to be told of the details of the marriage. I told him that HE found it and read the messages. He said yes, but we shouldn't have them involved. I told him that it was I who had to deescalate the situation and explain to the children between right and wrong. It almost became argumentative.

Then he said I had to make choices because separating and coming back together is confusing to the children. He said that they may think it's ok to go through this type of situation. I disagreed with him. I said as long as they know the truth and understand right from wrong, keeping a family in tact is more beneficial to everyone. He said it isn't healthy to keep separating. I agree with that, but there is more stability as a family and learning forgiveness will make them better people. Keeping them in the dark is damaging. Divorce is damaging. I don't know, am I wrong here?

Last edited by GJM; 01/27/12 05:25 PM.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
Originally Posted by weld
I had a doctor tell me that women go through a stage in their early thirties. That was about the time my wife left.

Lots of people think that stuff, but Dr. Harley says it's all bunk. The reasons for affairs are clear, and the main reason women leave their husbands is neglect.

The way to restore the marriage is to be solution focused, not to get bogged down in pop psychology theories.

Last edited by markos25; 01/27/12 05:26 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Why Women Leave Men

Hint: It has nothing to do with hormones, her thirties, or how many men she dated before you were married.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Prisca
Why Women Leave Men

Hint: It has nothing to do with hormones, her thirties, or how many men she dated before you were married.

Thanks Prisca.....we all must be held accountable.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

L
L
Prisca, after reading the reasons women leave men I must admit that I am guilty of every one of them. I have taken 100% responsibility of what happened in my marriage.

V
V
Originally Posted by GJM
I had my counseling appointment today. The counselor wasn't very impressive. I asked him if he was familiar with marriage builders concepts and Dr Harley. He said he was. I thought it would be good since he knew of him.

I told him about the affair and about exposure and what not. His response to my son finding the affair phone was that maybe it wasn't good for the children to be told of the details of the marriage. I told him that HE found it and read the messages. He said yes, but we shouldn't have them involved. I told him that it was I who had to deescalate the situation and explain to the children between right and wrong. It almost became argumentative.

Then he said I had to make choices because separating and coming back together is confusing to the children. He said that they may think it's ok to go through this type of situation. I disagreed with him. I said as long as they know the truth and understand right from wrong, keeping a family in tact is more beneficial to everyone. He said it isn't healthy to keep separating. I agree with that, but there is more stability as a family and learning forgiveness will make them better people. Keeping them in the dark is damaging. Divorce is damaging. I don't know, am I wrong here?

Sounds to me like you two should have changed seats!

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
R
The counselor will drive you up the wall.
They may be familiar with MB but obviously have not studied it and do not understand the clear and brilliant logic of it nor is it your job to educate them.
I found it best to not go to counseling when the pro had the best of intentions but limited experience supporting the plan I chose to follow.

Women/Age......lol......all ages are vulnerable to affairs if someone spends time alone with someone of the opposite sex and meets emotional needs with them.

Simple. Logical and not based in the stages of life.

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oh, and then the counselor started talking about co-parenting and I said nope, I go into Plan B next. He didn't like that. He said well when it comes to the children, it's important to make decisions together. I said she already made her decision and that was to destroy our family. My decision is to make a welcome home to her and preserve the love I have for her by showing her a way back through the MB program. He didn't like that either lol...I was proud of myself.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
WOW, I can't believe people have to pay that man for his opinions. I probably would have walked out on him.

Yea, it doesn't matter the age.

There is a major shift that has been noticed where more women are committing adultery than before. I think that has to do with society though. You know a show I never could stand watching, and didn't understand the hype about? Did you guess? Sex and the City. It glorified adultery, and wh&^ing around.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
V
V
Originally Posted by GJM
Oh, and then the counselor started talking about co-parenting and I said nope, I go into Plan B next. He didn't like that. He said well when it comes to the children, it's important to make decisions together. I said she already made her decision and that was to destroy our family. My decision is to make a welcome home to her and preserve the love I have for her by showing her a way back through the MB program.
I stand by what I said a short while ago.

He didn't like that either lol...I was proud of myself.
You should be proud of yourself. LOL...you know more about his job than he does. G, this would actually be the ROTFL kind of funny if you weren't hurting so bad. I'm quite sure everyone on this board is quite proud of you as well for the manner in which you are handling all this.

You certainly have my respect!

Oh, I hope you fired your "counselor" and told him he needs to study further about the MB concepts. He may be familiar with them, but he sure doesn't know much about them and how effective they are. He might actually learn something that could help someone down the road. Obviously, his college studies didn't accomplish a damned thing.

Hang in there friend

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Scotland
WOW, I can't believe people have to pay that man for his opinions. I probably would have walked out on him.

Yea, it doesn't matter the age.

There is a major shift that has been noticed where more women are committing adultery than before. I think that has to do with society though. You know a show I never could stand watching, and didn't understand the hype about? Did you guess? Sex and the City. It glorified adultery, and wh&^ing around.

I'm glad my wife never watched that show. Then again, wouldn't have made a difference.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

G
G
GJM,

Just for the heck of it what is the MCs marriage record?

God Bless
Gamma

R
R
Was that a marriage counselor or an individual counselor?

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Gamma and reading,

I went for personal counseling. It wasn't supposed to be marriage counseling. I wanted to try it for personal recovery, but it didn't go so well.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

R
R
Well......you tried!

If you can get kernels of useful help going......and just ignore non-helpful.....it might work. Perhaps focusing on your own emotions versus your plans for parenting and communicating.

Like "Let's focus on how sad I am." "Let's not discuss that aspect of my situation".

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well I figured he would want to know all the facts first so I will play along for now.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

M
M
Originally Posted by GJM

Unfortunately, many personal counselors are not good marriage counselors.

Standing in His Presence

FBS (me) (48)
FWW (41)
Married April 1993...
4 kids (19(B), 17(G), 14(B), 4(B))
Blessed by God more than I deserve
"If Jesus is your co-pilot...you need to change seats!"

Link: The Roles of Husbands and Wives
Page 75 of 107 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 106 107

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 360 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation