Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
dtl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well I've done it again. Every time I start feeling good about how things are going I find a way to screw it up. I'm a mechanic and one of the few perks to my job is getting to do side jobs for extra money when we are not that busy. Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it but the Guy I worked on it for my wife does not like his wife because she acted to needy with me. Well I didn't tell her instendly about it. Now she is ready to give up on us. I wish I could make things right.

C
C
Originally Posted by dtl
Well I've done it again. Every time I start feeling good about how things are going I find a way to screw it up. I'm a mechanic and one of the few perks to my job is getting to do side jobs for extra money when we are not that busy. Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it but the Guy I worked on it for my wife does not like his wife because she acted to needy with me. Well I didn't tell her instendly about it. Now she is ready to give up on us. I wish I could make things right.

DTL,

Why didn't you tell her instantly about it? Isn't this one of the EP's you have in place?

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
Originally Posted by dtl
Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it

Until you make the decision to be radically honest and live a transparent lifestyle, nothing will change for you or your marriage.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
D
dtl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I know all I have is excuses but I'm trying. Being open and thinking ahead to tell her everything is hard. Not because I don't want to but because it's something that I haven't had to do since I was about 12. And every time I do something like this I get told she has had enough and is going to leave me but I never get told when I'm doing good. And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope. I don't know if I'm even making any sense right now.

S
S
DTL:

You clearly have not held up your end of the MBs philosophy.

You say you haven't been honest in your life since age 12? That's really sad. You, sir, need help, and your wife doesn't need your pathetic attempts that always fall by the wayside. YOU, sir, hurt her tremendously with your affair. Fix it or let her go!

Me: 47
BH: 48, previously married
Married: Nov. 27, 2004
DDay: Nov. 13, 2010
Kids: stepsons DS17 and DS13
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=35
D
dtl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That did not come out the way I meant it. I wasn't talking about honesty I was talking about openness and letting someone know about what I have going on.
I know I hurt her. But I'm not perfect by no means. What I'm trying to say is I'm have to teach myself a hole new way of life and actions. I have never met any one who is perfect and can get it right the first time and never mess up.
And I don't want to lose her. But I don't control her. She is free to do what she want and all I can do is hope that she sees I'm trying. And allow me to make lb deposits

S
S
well, then make them. Honestly. If your marriage means that much then ... just ... do ... it.

Make it your sole focus in life.

Otherwise, your words are empty.

Me: 47
BH: 48, previously married
Married: Nov. 27, 2004
DDay: Nov. 13, 2010
Kids: stepsons DS17 and DS13
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=35
C
C
Originally Posted by dtl
That did not come out the way I meant it. I wasn't talking about honesty I was talking about openness and letting someone know about what I have going on.
I know I hurt her. But I'm not perfect by no means. What I'm trying to say is I'm have to teach myself a hole new way of life and actions. I have never met any one who is perfect and can get it right the first time and never mess up.
And I don't want to lose her. But I don't control her. She is free to do what she want and all I can do is hope that she sees I'm trying. And allow me to make lb deposits

DTL,

Let me share something with you that I shared with my wife the night of Dday...

"You have a VERY short learning curve. A learning curve that is not as wide as others because of what you have done. This means you have to learn some things and learn them pretty darn quick if you want to stay married." No, you don't have to be perfect, but you are going to have top be better than just "good" right now. You know why? Because good isn't good enough after an affair. You have to be great.

You didn't just "hurt" LD, you destroyed her life. You took away everything she hoped and dreamed of. Please understand this, it is not enough to give mere intellectual assent to it. It needs to permeate the very fabric of your being.

What does this mean? It means that you are going to have to do more and better than the faithful spouse until there is some even ground, and that is going to take a while. And no, you aren't going to get many kudos for doing what you are supposed to be doing to fix this.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
i agree with CV. i said similar to H.

your life will never be the same, it must change -you must change.

every move you make effects luvs EVERY!

so 2 things you did. you took the job with out POJAing it and then you didnt tell her. well the second one basically tells her that you are willing to lie still, and that rocks her to the core.

see if you just simply tell her everything you would not be in this mess.

DTL- change your life

Me 44- yes ugggh
WH 47
together 26 years M 19
serial cheater big time
DD1 2.24.11
NC letter sent 3/7/11
NC letter to OW2 april
final truths 5/8-- all of them poly confirmed 5/18
working the plan

C
C
Originally Posted by dtl
I know all I have is excuses but I'm trying. Being open and thinking ahead to tell her everything is hard. Not because I don't want to but because it's something that I haven't had to do since I was about 12. And every time I do something like this I get told she has had enough and is going to leave me but I never get told when I'm doing good. And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope. I don't know if I'm even making any sense right now.

Dtl,

Makes perfect sense. The problem is that the sense is nonsense. Why are you making excuses and keeping secrets? If you KNOW that keeping secrets will destroy your life with LD, why keep doing it? What are you protecting?

Is taking a side-job from a woman who's "needy" (flirting) really worth the cost of your marriage for 500 or 1000 bucks?

Also, what are you trying? All you had to do a month ago was a sketch for LD. A little thing that would have meant a lot. Did you ever even start it? You had time to sit on the couch (by your own admission) and watch TV.

What exactly are your trying to do? sounds like you are trying to have a "normal marriage" in the wake of the affair. Problem is, you can't have that. at least not yet.

So she's telling you she's leaving? Well, let me tell you, her saying that should not be taken lightly. But it should also motivate you. She's giving you a chance to fix things by saying that. She hasn't just up and left. It is your opportunity to do something, because right now, it appears you are doing nothing.

Question is, what are you going to do?

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
Originally Posted by dtl
And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope.

Of course it does, because it's an abusive strategy.

You are in control of your reaction to that, however.

And you are in control of your ability to be open.

It's simple; you run any side work you are offered by LD before you accept it. That's it.

If she does not agree to it, you don't do it.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
A REFORMED alcoholic typically will white knuckle their sobriety and constantly fight the urge to pick up a drink. EP's will be resented as something they must do or they will drink again.

A TRANSFORMED alcoholic has an entire change of psyche, making it possible to cease fighting everything and everyone around them. EP's are easily incorporated into their lives as an enlightend and integrated part of life they now embrace. Rather than constantly feeling tempted by alcohol, they recoil from it, as if pulling away from a hot flame.

I frequently see waywards that are reformed, rather than transformed, which is why everything seems to be a struggle for them..... They fall short of the transformation necessary for a peaceful road toward recovery from infidelity, because they resent having to make any changes! They don't recognize that the opportunity for transformation is a GIFT!

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
C
C
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
A REFORMED alcoholic typically will white knuckle their sobriety and constantly fight the urge to pick up a drink. EP's will be resented as something they must do or they will drink again.

A TRANSFORMED alcoholic has an entire change of psyche, making it possible to cease fighting everything and everyone around them. EP's are easily incorporated into their lives as an enlightend and integrated part of life they now embrace. Rather than constantly feeling tempted by alcohol, they recoil from it, as if pulling away from a hot flame.

I frequently see waywards that are reformed, rather than transformed, which is why everything seems to be a struggle for them..... They fall short of the transformation necessary for a peaceful road toward recovery from infidelity, because they resent having to make any changes! They don't recognize that the opportunity for transformation is a GIFT!

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
D
dtl Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've read that post several times today. You make a lot of sense with that analogy. I want to become transformed.

C
C
Originally Posted by dtl
I've read that post several times today. You make a lot of sense with that analogy. I want to become transformed.

--Want-- is a good **start**, but it's a long way from finish. DTL, you have a lot of tools at your disposal. Are you going to use them?

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 473 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation