Marriage Builders
Posted By: dtl help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 06:43 PM
I'm new on here but I need help. I cheated on my wife and hurt her severely you all know her as loves David and I want to keep it that way. I'm just getting lost in how to help her heal. Every time I think I'm doing good it turns out I'm not I'm tired of seeing her hurt. So I'm on here to get some advice
Posted By: SugarCane Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I'm new on here but I need help. I cheated on my wife and hurt her severely you all know her as loves David and I want to keep it that way. I'm just getting lost in how to help her heal. Every time I think I'm doing good it turns out I'm not I'm tired of seeing her hurt. So I'm on here to get some advice
Welcome to MB, dtl. I am very happy to see you posting here.

Could you let us know how much of the MB programme you have studied so far? Which of Dr Harley's books have you read? Have you read any of the free articles on this website?

Remind us also, please, whether you and your wife have coached with the coaching centre, or started the online course.

Finally, what have your recent conflicts been about? Can you describe the most recent one?

BSs here know what we would like to see in our FWSs, and we can help you become the spouse that LuvsDavid needs.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

"I will do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to make our marriage work."

Every day, or more frequently, ask your wife:

"What can I do for you today?"
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I'm tired of seeing her hurt.

Advice:

Drop this attitude. This is a selfish attitude. Can you see that?
Recovery is not about what you are tired of seeing.

Next time you see her hurt, go to her.
Offer to hold her.
Offer to comfort her.

WHATEVER IT TAKES FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

You're tired?
Try being the hurting one.
I bet she is tired as hell from hurting so much for so long.

Man up.

Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 07:17 PM
Now ........

Welcome to Marriage Builders ~~~~ dance2

We are happy as pigs in mud to have you here.

Read
Ask
Work
Posted By: SunnyDinTX Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 09:14 PM
My husband helps me when he is patient with me. He does what I ask him to do in terms of helping me heal. If I ask for more hugs...I get them. If I ask for him to be more considerate with his time, he asks what I'm doing and if I care if he does something else for awhile.

I think mostly we former betrayed spouses just want our formerly unfaithful partners to want to make us happy - to want to make our marriages great. We want you guys to be as invested as we are and to show it. Heck, in some ways I think we expect you to lead MORE in the recovery department to help make amends.

If you truly want to show your wife your commitment to the future, pick up one of the books and read it. Do the workbook questionnaires. Basically, initiate! That will impress upon your wife that you are there for the long haul.

The thing about the MB program that is like no other is that it is WIN WIN. There's no, "lets berate the guy for cheating!" There's changes BOTH parties make to give you the best chance possible at happiness.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 11:36 PM
We have read his needs her needs done the emotional needs questions and are reading love busters. She wants me to take charge of what to do to create a plan to follow and I really want to show her that I want it I'm just really lost at where to start. I know she is in a lot of pain
We have not done any coaching
Are biggest conflict is I'm not taking charge to create a plan and I've got to open up more about my past
Posted By: SugarCane Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
We have read his needs her needs done the emotional needs questions and are reading love busters. She wants me to take charge of what to do to create a plan to follow and I really want to show her that I want it I'm just really lost at where to start. I know she is in a lot of pain
We have not done any coaching
Are biggest conflict is I'm not taking charge to create a plan and I've got to open up more about my past
I get the impression that your wife has to coax you regularly to do the MB work, and she had to drag you by the nose to post here. Am I right in this?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/23/11 11:56 PM
Yes you are and I want to change that. I want to take the lead. I just know it will be hard and I will need help along the way. I'm going to start by making sure we stick with the steps. But I will be looking for advice along the way
Posted By: SugarCane Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Yes you are and I want to change that. I want to take the lead. I just know it will be hard and I will need help along the way. I'm going to start by making sure we stick with the steps. But I will be looking for advice along the way
Can you tell me why you haven't been falling over yourself trying to do the MB work? Why have you been reluctant so far?

There might be more than one reason. Please think hard about this and answer as fully as you can.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Yes you are and I want to change that. I want to take the lead. I just know it will be hard and I will need help along the way. I'm going to start by making sure we stick with the steps. But I will be looking for advice along the way .......

Our biggest conflict is I'm not taking charge to create a plan....

Welcome to MB

I have three questions for you that I've pulled from your posts....

What are you going to do to take the lead?

What plan are you planning to create?

What are the steps you plan to stick with?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 02:40 AM
The first thing I'm doing is getting on MB to take in the advice from everyone and making sure that I do the reading and work sheets. As for the plan I'm kinda lost and can definitely use help coming up with it. Right now I'm just trying to be transparent about everything I do and be honest with my wife
I trying to follow the steps of the books and work sheets
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 02:47 AM
Keep posting dtl.
Keep posting.
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
The first thing I'm doing is getting on MB to take in the advice from everyone and making sure that I do the reading and work sheets. As for the plan I'm kinda lost and can definitely use help coming up with it. Right now I'm just trying to be transparent about everything I do and be honest with my wife

So if you're doing the worksheets then what are your wife's top EN?

Also, what are you doing to fill her needs?

What are your EP that you have told her?
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by dtl

Thanks for answering my questions, it can get a little overwhelming in the beginning.

I was pretty lost when I showed up on these forums too.

Just keep posting, the help will show up, OK.

The best part about MB is they already have a plan in place and all you have to do is start at the beginning and just keep moving forward.

I've not read your wife's thread, but I'm betting you've already done a NC letter?? Is that right? The NC letter is the very first step in beginning recovery.
Let's start there..

Posted By: unhappybs Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 12:51 PM
I'm a BH and I can tell you that just coming here and posting is something your BW will appreciate. What have you done to try and heal the wounds that you've caused?

My suggestion is to call one of the MB Coaches if you can afford it. That is the quickest and best solution to your problems. It may cost a few dollars, but it's cheaper than a lawyer.

If you can't, then may I suggest you do what I wish my FWW would do. I'm not sure this would work in your case, but you might ask your wife and see what she thinks.

1.) Show your wife that you understand why you had the affairs. Hint: Do not blame your wife; ever. I if do, pack your bags and leave. Explain to her what needs these other women were meetings. Explain to your wife how she can meet your needs is a way that you want. Explain HOW you won't let it happen again. Another hint: boundaries, honesty, joint decisions.

2.) Go one step further and dig deep inside and tell her the truth about why you didn't end these affairs before they got physical and why you didn't have the b***s to confess. She needs to know why her husband could hurt her so badly. Don't worry, every WS has their own reasons and justifications. Just tell her the truth and move on. She needs to know.

3.) Meet your wives top 5 needs! Buy the HSHN book and read it twice. Do this and your wife will fall back in love with you. I know what you're thinking, "She does love me." No she doesn't. Why should she? Get working on that.

4.) This is the most important step and do not skip it. Do this today if you have the time. Make a list of extraordinary precautions and give them to your wife. Click here to see a very good list to start with: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2374198&page=1

5.) Tell her everything she wants and don't lie. Once this is done, take a polygraph to show her you told her the truth about it all and that there in nothing else you're hiding.

6.) Show her you truly understand how badly she's hurt by all of this. I don't think waywards can ever really know how it feels. But let me tell you that I would have rather had my wife walk up to me and blow my head off with a .45 instead of cheating on me and our family.

If there is such a thing as a "living hell", it's living as a BS when your WS doesn't "get it". How do you show her you get it? Ask her.

Good luck. I hope you man up and take care of your wife. Even if you divorce you owe it to her to help her get past all of this crap.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 01:42 PM
The Link that unhappybs posted is one of my threads that I started to help FWS's with EP's...

Lets take it one step at a time before you attempt to tackle the EP's though.

There are several critical things that need to happen first, OK!

First things first, did you do a NC Letter? If so, tell me how it was done.

Posted By: sweetpea2011 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

DTL: Welcome to MBs and it is AWESOME that you are working the program.

I think what we've all seen from LuvsDavid's posts is that you would make HUGE deposits in her Love Bank if you did something concrete with the program every day. I'm sure it doesn't have to be as extensive as reading a full chapter every day in the book, but a mixture of big and small things that will demonstrate to her that you mean business.

I'm reminded of a friend who wanted a promotion. Every day, he got up and while he was drinking his coffee, he wrote down ONE concrete thing he could do at work that day that would help him get that promotion ... eventually.

You've mentioned that writing things down would help. I'd also suggest that each week, you could sit Luv's down and look ahead to your week to plan out undivided attention time, which will help you automatically meet her top emotional needs. AND that will help you get your emotional needs met.

Concrete steps. Every day. Sounds like work, I know. But eventually -- and in not too long of a time -- it won't feel forced. It will be your new habit, one that makes you happy and makes her estatic, too.

That's the wonderful "trick" about Marriage Builders. It changes your habits to better ones -- habits that make for stronger and loving relationships.

Cheers,
SP
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 11:20 PM
Her most important need is openness and honesty
and I'm trying to meet that need I know I still need to work at that a lot though. I grew up having to keep everything in but I'm working on it
being new to this what is EP and NC
Posted By: SugarCane Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Her most important need is openness and honesty
and I'm trying to meet that need I know I still need to work at that a lot though. I grew up having to keep everything in but I'm working on it
being new to this what is EP and NC
Extraordinary precautions: steps you take all day, all the time, in order not to get close to a woman other than your wife.

No contact: what it sounds like, with your former affair partner. No texts, emails, phone calls, meetings, smoke signals, carrier pigeons, no contact, nothing, for the rest of your life.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by HerPapaBear
The Link that unhappybs posted is one of my threads that I started to help FWS's with EP's...

Lets take it one step at a time before you attempt to tackle the EP's though.

There are several critical things that need to happen first, OK!

First things first, did you do a NC Letter? If so, tell me how it was done.

You didn't just help, sir. You set the bar.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/24/11 11:59 PM
With the information SugarCane gave you.....

Did you send a NC(No Contact)Letter to your AP(Affair Partner)in order to insure that she would never contact you again?
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 12:30 AM
I want to share something with you!

I was a man that wanted to save my marriage and I was willing to do whatever it took for that to happen! Are you the same type of man??

I read each of Dr. Harley's books, "Surviving An Affair", "His Needs, Her Needs", "Love Busters", "Fall In Love, Stay In Love", and I read all of thes books in the first 4 weeks of recovery... That's one book each week! And then I read them again! Studied them, highlighted them and asked a great deal of questions to a few people, from this forum, that were helping me through email and by phone.

I read them with my wife and on my own. I often re-read the chapters I covered on my own, with my wife, so we could talk about the material and so I could help jump start our recovery.

I say this, not to brag, but to point out that I was willing to do whatever it took. And for the record, I do not read very well, my vision is terrible and I read slow.... But I chose to make it a priority.

So why have you been dragging your feet and making the reading of these books such a slow process?

Can you speed up the time it's taking you to read Dr. H's books?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 02:01 AM
The NC was taken care of before we knew about MB and to enforce the NC my wife has all my passwords and if I don't recognise a number on my phone I don't answer it and let my wife call it back. And if I ever am contacted I will make it clear not to ever try again. And let my wife know it happened
As for not having all the books read there is no excuse for me. I know that.
But I'm changing that now. I realize how important it is now. I had it in my head that I could do this without all the reading and worksheets. But that's not the case. I see that now. And I'm going to do what it takes to make things better no matter how much it hurts me.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I'm going to do what it takes to make things better no matter how much it hurts me.

What "hurts"?
Reading?
Learning?
What hurts you?
I don't understand.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 12:18 PM
Opening up about my past I had a very bad childhood. But I know it's nothing compared to what I did to my wife.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

DTL,
'
Welcome. I know it seems an impossible task (taking the lead) after having devastated your marriage. I am willing to bet that you are terrified of failing. It is hard stepping into shoes you don't feel fit you anymore. It can be paralyzing. Sometimes though, you just have to do it. Pick up doing it anywhere along the line. I am betting luvsdavid will be willing to let you make some mistakes along the way until you get into the groove of taking charge of these things.

Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Opening up about my past I had a very bad childhood. But I know it's nothing compared to what I did to my wife.

Historical Honesty is important in a marriage, but you should not be re-living your childhood pains as a result of improving your marriage.

Childhood = 10 years of tangible childrens memories.

Adult/Marriage = 50+ years of adult memories.

Lets stay focused on the current, adult, marriage,,, OK!
You'll build some good memories as you progress.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Opening up about my past I had a very bad childhood.

Condolences.
Are you using marriage recovery as a therapy session to discuss very old news?
Are you diverting your attention away from the tasks you need to be doing in order to lick your ancient childhood wounds? I ask you not to be doing this.

But I know it's nothing compared to what I did to my wife.

It is not productive to compare your childhood events to current events.
Is that a part of Dr Harley's plan?
No, it is not.

You have tasks to do.
Do them.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Dear K. R.,

The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions.
I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

Your nightmares are only the tip of the iceberg. They are but a small reflection of the suffering you experienced when you discovered your husband's affair, and the fear you have that the suffering will be repeated. You have no assurance that the affair is over because you don't even know who the other woman is. You are being asked to trust your husband, who has already proven to be untrustworthy. For all you know, he could be working with her, or you could be going to the same church, or she could be
your neighbor. And since he won't discuss the details of how the affair took place, you have no assurance that another affair will not take its place.

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.

Best wishes,

Willard F. Harley, Jr.

LINK to original ... on Newsletters Forum

KEEP POSTING !!!! hurray
Posted By: My4Loves Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 09:48 PM
The key that makes MB a success is you begin a new habit. In your childhood you learned things that brought you into adulthood.

As you can see you likely didn't learn the right way to do things, and hence you adulthood is now filled with bad habits you learned as a child to cope.

The great thing is that was the past. Today you can begin a daily set of actions that will build a new set of habits for you. You will never have to cope like a child again. Nope MB teaches you how to get through life as a man ... a happy man too!

It usually takes 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes longer depending on the person. It won't hurt you I promise. It will build perseverance, stamina, character, and faith. Studies have proven a real man will out perform a boy any day. That's what we are aiming for here ... RIGHT ... how to be the man your wife believes you can become. She didn't divorce you. Nope, she is standing by you "For Better/For Worse". She is a strong woman. A woman of character.
" I would take one of thems standing next to me anyday."

When you're old, sick, hurting, sad, dying ... your woman just proved to you she will be standing by you wanting to care for you.

Let's start caring for her now ... that way we can guarantee she will be next to you. She will love you until the day you die. That is our goal here ... RIGHT ... you want to be loved and cared for by your wife for the rest of your life?

Also, another thought to you is to stop the self doubt. I reckon your comment about how this work will hurt suggests you doubt you can accomplish this, and that my friend suggests you have a known pattern as a quitter.

The key is to stick with it. Don't quit posting here for one. Then you are already a winner. Make it a habit - you post every day. Try it for a straight 21 days.

Secondly - Knock out your Wife's ENs. Pick her top five for the next 21 days and accomplish them.

There you go

1) Post daily
2) Meet top 5 EN's
3) Don't quit

Tough
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/25/11 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
The NC was taken care of before we knew about MB and to enforce the NC my wife has all my passwords and if I don't recognise a number on my phone I don't answer it and let my wife call it back. And if I ever am contacted I will make it clear not to ever try again. And let my wife know it happened

Lets talk more about the No Contact that was establised prior to learning about Marriage Builders.

Do you understand why No Contact is so important?

Here is an excerpt from one of Dr. H's letters;

Originally Posted by Dr Willard Harley, Jr.
Most victimized spouses intuitively understand that all contact with a lover must end for life. Permanent separation not only helps prevent a renewal of the affair, but it is also a crucial gesture of consideration to someone who has been through hell. What victimized spouse would ever want to know that his or her spouse is seeing or communicating with a former lover at work or in some other activity?

This would include looking at facebook/myspace old photo pages etc.... it does great damage to our spouse when this occurs.

Any continued contact with an AP would be both thoughtless and cruel.

Even after a year or more of recovery, I've even seen some waywards that have done searches online for the AP because they were "curious".... Somehow justifying, in their own mind, that it's not really contact, only to discover that even that one thoughtless act would end their marriage and/or send recovery all the way back to square one!

So let me ask again,,,, Do you REALLY understand why NC is so critical to recovery?

Are you willing to accept this as a lifetime condition??
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/26/11 12:10 AM
My H is an active member of AA.
One of the AA mottos that I really like ....

"Keep showing up"

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/26/11 01:33 AM
I do understand why NC is so important and agree with it completely.
And my wife let me know the same thing today that every one else has today about my childhood. That does help a lot. I had seen one off the work sheets about family history is were I even got that in my head. I never had plans of giving up. I was just terrified of screwing up and my wife is so smart I thought it would be best to let her lead the way. But turns out I was messing up doing it that way much worse. I'm realizing that now. So I'm taking the lead and I know I may mess up from time to time.
I really thank every one for posting and helping me thanks
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/26/11 02:57 AM
dtl, let's talk about how to begin care and protection in recovery from infidelity.

First I'm going to suggest that you ask your wife, "What ways do you most like me to soothe you when you've triggered or when you're having a rough day?" Ask for her top five ways! You may already know them, but ask anyway.

ie. hold her, long hugs, sunggling with her, rubbing her hair, brushing her hair, gently massaging her neck or head or back or legs, etc., how does she love to be soothed!

The care necessary for recovery to succeed all starts with cleaning and tending to the wounds created by your adultery and learning how to soothe her, in the ways that SHE most likes..

There are some important steps that cannot be skipped or done half way. Answering questions about your affair is one of them.

I'm not sure how questions and answers about your affair were handled? You may or may not have answered all her questions, I don't know, but I'm guessing it was a hit and miss situation filled with LB's, if it happened at all...

Answering a BS's questions to their satisfaction is how we care for, dress and clean the open wounds our affair created. I hope this makes sense!

I would recommend you offer to sit down with your wife once or twice a week and answer any questions she may still have about your affair. I'd recommend you set a time limit of .... say 30-45 minutes and then agree to stop at that point. If possible, Same days and times every week until she feels she has gotten all of her answers. This may take only a few weeks at this point in your recovery or it may take a month or two... Dunno, but if you skip this step, you'll be re-visiting it at the most inopertune time later in recovery.

You may suggest this step and find your wife has very few questions remaining.... Again, Dunno! But offer it anyway!

Can you do this?

If you do this, there are a few guidelines.

You both must agree to make this time safe, or don't do it at all!

You both must agree to do something to meet each others EN's after the alloted time period! Some RC time th

You both must agree to listen and be respectful... ie. NO LB's

You must remind your wife, after the Q&A time, you're not that same person anymore and that you are learning how to protect her and your marriage. If she will let you, wisper this to her while you hold her close to you.

Again, this is a risky step for both of you and must be approached with great care. If your wife triggers, which often happened when we did this, DO NOT tell her, "we need to just stop". No, No, No! ASK her gently and with great compassion if she wants to continue.

See what your wife has to say about this, and let me know....

What do you think about this suggestion?

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/27/11 02:10 AM
First she likes it when I hold her, run my fingers through her hair, and snuggle. She said she would have to think about it more sort of caught her of guard with the questions
I think you are being very helpful and once again I really appreciate your help and everyone else thank you
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/27/11 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
First she likes it when I hold her, run my fingers through her hair, and snuggle. She said she would have to think about it more sort of caught her of guard with the questions

Continue to respectfully press in and discuss these things.... Remember, what will soothe her today may not have the same impact in a year from now, so continue to bring this topic up from time to time, OK?

Now what did you think of the other suggestions, in that same post.... Yanno, carving out time for Q&A's about the affair??
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/27/11 11:40 PM
It all makes a lot of sense and even though I don't like talking about I see from you and reading other post that it is something she may need so I will do it
Posted By: L2010NM Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/27/11 11:54 PM
It might be helpful if you fill this out for your wife especially that your W top EN is O&H. Also, make an appointment for a polygraph to ensure that you're serious about recovery and being completely O&H with her.

I'm sure that posting here is making a difference in your wife's LB$ and it also helps you.

It gives me hope that maybe one day my H will be enthusiastic in working the program too. I'm very happy for you guys smile
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/28/11 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
It all makes a lot of sense and even though I don't like talking about I see from you and reading other post that it is something she may need so I will do it

I'm glad to head you're willing to do whatever it takes to help your wife heal.

This is a good start!

There is still a great deal of work to do though, OK!

Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/28/11 09:17 PM
Helping your wife heal is the first part of learning how to care for her.

The next area I'd like to talk to you about is called EP's, which is short for, "Extraordinary Precautions".
This is the "PROTECTION" part of recovering from infidelity.

You will learn to protect your wife and your marriage from ever having the pain of betrayal visiting your marriage again!
This will also help your wife to heal....

There is a thread in Surviving An Affair forums that I put together some time ago. I'd like you to read it and start putting together your own list.

I'd like you to post your own list on this thread so we can discuss it as you go, we can make some revisions and then you can print it and give it to your wife.

It will all make more sense when you read the thread..

When you read the thread, you may have some questions, please post them on this thread, OK!

Here's the link;

LINK to EP's Thread
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/28/11 09:18 PM
Please let me know when you've read the thread, OK?

You cannot skip this step and move on to something else!

This needs completed first.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/29/11 01:33 AM
I will read it and do the work thanks
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/29/11 02:12 AM
I also expect that you will keep up with reading Dr. Harley's books with your wife.... OK?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/30/11 02:49 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I've not forgot about the EP I've ben with the wife helping her to get stuff done for her new business. I will get the list soon
Posted By: chickadee1 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 10/30/11 11:06 PM
dtl-

get the list done now then help her. really say to luvs i am going to do the EP list then help you ( Cha ching in the bank for you). she is strong enough to do her own business and she will do it fantastically with or without you, so do the list and you will both do much better. its really not hard to see or do, so do what is right.

there are many posts with examples start there... see above ... please.

stop making excuses, sorry......
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/01/11 02:27 AM
here is what i have so far
Give all passwords and and access to email and voicemail
Change or cancel email accounts
Allow access to truck ,tool boxes and anywhere else wanted
Allow any type of tracking to be put on me
Take polygraph any time
Allow to check up on me any time at work

Part 2
1. I will be open and honest
2. I will tell you how I am felling ,especially when I�m down and need assurance
3. I will make sure to keep you up dated on what I do and were I go every day
4. I will protect you from being hurt any more
5. I will do what it takes to bring you up when you are down and comfort you when you are hurt
6. I will tell you immediately if other woman ever tries to contact in any form
7. I will not go on any web sites that you see unfit
8. I agree to include you in on any decisions that are made and use the poja
9. I agree to keep key logger and tracing on my phone as long as you see fit
10. I will always give access to any of my items any time you want (cell phone ,truck, tool boxes ,ect )
11. I will let you know any time I have to work late as soon as I find out about it
12. I will avoid talking to any one of the opposite sex about any thing personal or emotional
13. I will always put you at the top of my priorities
14. I will agree to negotiate and except any other terms you may come up with
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 12:37 AM
Just rereading my post I realized I left out to give her a minimum of 15 hours a week ua time so I'm adding that to the list
I would really appreciate some input on my list I would really like to give it to her I know she would appreciate it. Thanks
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
here is what i have so far

Give all passwords and and access to email and voicemail
Take polygraph any time

I know you are just putting your thoughts down, but lets find a different way to phrase these.....

You're choice of the word "allow" can come across all wrong.... As if you are doing your wife a favor.

It's like telling the guy who loaned you $100 last week, that you're going to "allow" him to be re-paid.... wink

Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 01:06 AM

Give all passwords and and access to email and voicemail.

1)I will make a list of all passwords for email accounts, bank accounts, phone accounts and give this list to my wife. I will update any changes immediately.

2)I will eliminate or change any old email accounts and I will only have new, necessary, email accounts that my wife has access to.

3) I will make a seperate key to all vehicles, locks, storage units, etc. and give my wife the spare keys.

4) I will research and provide a means for GPS tracking of my whereabouts at all times.

Take polygraph any time

5) I will schedule a polygraph with a professional that my wife is enthusiastic about. I will ask my wife to provide a list of questions for the polygraph that will not be disclosed to me ahead of time.

This one will be covered in number 4...

Do you see how these become something YOU actively do all on you own?

Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 01:11 AM
A) Change cell phone number and give password & account access to your spouse.
B) Change email account.
C) Eliminate all social networking accounts (i.e., Face book, Classmates, My Space, etc.)
D) Take a polygraph
E) Make a copy of my vehicle keys and any other keys my spouse does not have and give to them (i.e., safe deposit boxes, business keys, storage cabinets/lockers, etc.)
F) List out passwords for all business and personal computer logins, and any other passwords my spouse does not have access to.
G) Give my spouse access to any banking/financial accounts, business and personal.
H) Install software that tracks all internet use, giving my spouse administrative access.
I) Install a webcam/security cameras for while at work that my spouse can access.
J) I will contact an attorney that will work on my spouse�s behalf and write a post-nuptial agreement.
K) Sell the house/purchase a new one.
L) Sell any vehicle AP was in and replace them.

Is there anything else on this first section you've overlooked that you know you need to do for your wife??

Lets get this part finished, before we tackle the second part of your list, OK!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 01:23 AM
On the first part we have already done a b f h and l. And not applicable are c g. And we already agreed to not do I j and k.
On the not applicable I never had any social networking sites. And my wife has always had full access to the bank and finances
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
On the first part we have already done a b f h and l. And not applicable are c g. And we already agreed to not do I j and k.
On the not applicable I never had any social networking sites. And my wife has always had full access to the bank and finances

J) I will contact an attorney that will work on my spouse�s behalf and write a post-nuptial agreement.

Tell me more about this one and what would prevent you from doing it??

L) Sell any vehicle AP was in and replace them.

Was OW in any vehicles you still own??
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/03/11 08:32 PM
We don't have much belongings to have to mess with a prenup. we are both in agreement on it
and yes have already got rid of cars she was ever in
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/05/11 01:30 AM
What do I do when I start feeling so down about myself for what I did that I don't even know how to comfort my wife when she triggers. I really need help
Posted By: Tanam Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/05/11 07:48 AM
OK what you did was bad, nasty, horrid and hurtful....you know that and your wife does too.

You can't change that unless you invented a time machine.

What you can change is you. So stop wallowing and start doing something. Anything.

Exercise is good, do something physical, maybe something that needed doing for a bit, work on the house or garden?

Then take your wife out for dinner, talk to her about the future not the past.

Are you following MB? UA time is the biggest thing, amke it fun and special.

Oh and stop focussing on poor you and start focussing on Mrs dtl. You made this mess, start doing something to fix it...the steps are clearly laid out for you.

Stop Whining
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/05/11 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
What do I do when I start feeling so down about myself for what I did that I don't even know how to comfort my wife when she triggers. I really need help

dtl, I know you need help. But here's the thing...

Are you taking every possible action you can to discover answers to these questions?? Or are you waiting around for others, like us and your wife, to tell you what to do so you don't have to invest the time and energy into it yourself?

Look, I'm not trying to make you mad, but I do want you to really think about it!

My guess is, you're feeling lost because you still haven't learned how to read a compass for yourself.... You want to hand the compass to someone that already knows how to read it and expect them to point you in the right direction every time! Let me tell you from experience, it won't work. You MUST invest the time yourself and ask a great deal of questions as you go along.

The compass is, Marriage Builders. And YOU, yes, YOU must learn it inside out,,,, that is, if you want even a snowballs chance in he!! of having a marriage worth having.

So, let me ask you,,,,, Are you finished with all of Dr. Harley's books yet (SAA, HNHN, LB'ers, FILSIL), and re-reading them again???

Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/05/11 04:49 PM

Part 2
1. I will be open and honest

Can you tell me, IN DETAIL, how you will fulfill this one?

2. I will tell you how I am felling ,especially when I�m down and need assurance

This one is OK, but I'm really interested in why you feel this will protect your wife? Tell me more about this one too.

HOW will you achieve this without making your wife feel like she is babysitting?

4. I will protect you from being hurt any more

I love the sentiment, but HOW will you be doing this?

5. I will do what it takes to bring you up when you are down and comfort you when you are hurt

Again, I love the sentiment, but HOW will you be doing this?

This one is good.

7. I will not go on any web sites that you see unfit

WAY, WAY to broad! and puts the responsibility on your wife to catch you and to tell you what's unfit... Can you see what I mean? I want you to think about how YOU can set boundaries here yourself, boundaries that make your wife feel safe, OK!

8. I agree to include you in on any decisions that are made and use the poja

How about a rewrite on this one...
8) I will not make any plans during the day, without first discussing them with you.
8a) I will agree to use Dr. H's POJA as a tool in all areas of our marriage.

9. I agree to keep key logger and tracing on my phone as long as you see fit

Lets do a rewrite here....
9) I will be sure that any computer we have will have a keylogger installed and you will be the only one with access codes. I will also maintain a GPS tracking program on my phones.

10. I will always give access to any of my items any time you want (cell phone ,truck, tool boxes ,ect )

This is good.

11. I will let you know any time I have to work late as soon as I find out about it

This is good.

12. I will avoid talking to any one of the opposite sex about any thing personal or emotional

This is good.

Again, HOW will you achieve this?

14. I will agree to negotiate and except any other terms you may come up with

EP's are not a negotiable thing! These are boundaries that we are putting in place as part of the compensation for having poor enough ones that a affair occured.... We are affair proofing out life here, OK!

Work on these question a few at a time if necessary and post your replies....

We'll get through these. smile
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/09/11 03:59 AM
I will be open and honest by telling her how I feel what I'm thinking of stuff I would like to do what has happened during the day and letting her know how she is making me feel
2. I put this in there because part of what led to my a was I was feeling down about myself and lonely. And didn't make my wife aware of it. I was at home out of work with a shoulder injury and she was at work so I started post on various websites and to fill the void I was feeling. So if I would have made her aware of how I was feeling it may have prevented my a
3. I will achieve this by us having regular conversations about what we have going on and making it a part of are life
4. I will achieve this by following my EP s and not ever allowing any form of an affair to happen again. And to keep my taker in check
5. I will achieve this by holding her, running my fingers through her hair, gently rubbing her head, giving her a back rub and telling her how much I love her and making her feel special
6 . Is good.
I will answer more tomorrow
Posted By: sweetpea2011 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/09/11 04:40 PM
DTL:

You are doing great, and I understand how draining it is to being doing all this hard marriage-building work AND posting on the website, but the time will be worth it.

Great job!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/09/11 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by sweetpea2011
DTL:

You are doing great, and I understand how draining it is to being doing all this hard marriage-building work AND posting on the website, but the time will be worth it.

Great job!
Thank you. I know it is worth it to save my marriage and help my wife heal
Posted By: LuvsDavid Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/09/11 05:48 PM
on top of all this he is reading SAA every night since I can't read it with him. It triggers me to bad to read the stories in it. I read it first in one day since im a fast reader and gave it to him. I get to cuddle next to him while he reads.

Im PROUD of my husband again. He is showing me that he does get it and we are worth working hard for.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/09/11 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by LuvsDavid
on top of all this he is reading SAA every night since I can't read it with him. It triggers me to bad to read the stories in it. I read it first in one day since im a fast reader and gave it to him. I get to cuddle next to him while he reads.

Im PROUD of my husband again. He is showing me that he does get it and we are worth working hard for.

Highlighted love bank deposits in red.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/10/11 02:46 AM
7. I see what you mean. I will not go on any kind of dating , porn, or personals websites and won't look at any profiles on forums without her approval first
8. Using your rewrite. Don't think I could word it any better
9. Using it again
10. Was good
11. Was good
12. Was good
13. By not putting anyone else's thoughts or feelings over my wife's and putting her feelings and needs over my own even
14. I will except any other ep's that may turn up to be needed
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/10/11 12:03 PM
You've been doing well on putting some thought into these. I'm sure your wife will appreciate the fruits of your labors.

I want you to look at this one a bit more though....

Originally Posted by herpapabear

your reply;

Originally Posted by dtl
13. By not putting anyone else's thoughts or feelings over my wife's and putting her feelings and needs over my own even

Paying attention to whats in red...

I don't believe your wife or anyone else wants you to do this.

What your wife has always wanted from you, and what I want you to catch is,,,,

It's critical that you CONSIDER your wife's feelings and needs before you make decisions and weight them EQUALLY with your own.
If you had done this through out the marriage, you would have never had an affair. ...Seems simple enough, doesn't it?

The question still exists, HOW will you achieve this?
You can't just say; "I'll just make sure she's number one".....
There are actions you must take to insure her protection..

What actions will you take??

Posted By: wulffpack_girl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/10/11 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

It's critical that you CONSIDER your wife's feelings and needs before you make decisions and weight them EQUALLY with your own.
If you had done this through out the marriage, you would have never had an affair. ...Seems simple enough, doesn't it?

Excellent point, and a reminder that if you always put someone elses' needs above your own, that it is a form of sacrifice...and sacrifice breeds resentment. The application of POJA works to consider each spouses' needs equally.

That said, there are things that FWS's must do that could be viewed as putting our BS's needs above our own, which is where just compensation comes in as well as the critical need to do whatever we can to make our BS feel safe.

You're in good hands here - keep up the good work!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/10/11 05:46 PM
You've been doing well on putting some thought into these. I'm sure your wife will appreciate the fruits of your labors.

I want you to look at this one a bit more though....

Originally Posted by herpapabear

My actions will be not putting anyone else's thoughts or feelings before my wife's and using poja on all decisions made so that we can both benefit from are decisions therefore making both of us happier

your reply;

Originally Posted by dtl

The question still exists, HOW will you achieve this?
You can't just say; "I'll just make sure she's number one".....
There are actions you must take to insure her protection..

What actions will you take??
Posted By: LuvsDavid Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/11/11 03:37 AM
Here was his answer, it got lost in the post.

My actions will be not putting anyone else's thoughts or feelings before my wife's and using poja on all decisions made so that we can both benefit from are decisions therefore making both of us happier.

Every example he thinks of is covered under POJA so I dont know if this is even needed.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/11/11 12:56 PM
dtl,

It's easy to get tunnel vision when trying to think about answers to questions, isn't it?

I was actually thinking about actions like; (these are just a few)

* Sitting down on the couch every evening and talking to my wife about (fill in the blank)

*re-learning how to open up communication with my wife so I can learn about her thoughts and feelings.... And actually focus on hearing what she has to say. Reading some articles about and practicing listening skills.

*Paying close attention to what she says and making sure to NEVER AGAIN dismiss her opinions and beliefs.

dtl, you've done a great deal of damage to your wife. She will struggle for years with trusting you. You need to own the fact that your best thinking lead you to commit adultery.....
Placing her thoughts and feelings on equal footing with your own is not going to come naturally, we are very selfish beings by nature and our infidelity demonstrates this point very well.

Actions to overcome this selfish nature require us to operate from our intellect instead of our instinct.... Learning how to do this will require practice, but you've got to PURPOSE to do it or you'll fall back on your instincts....

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/13/11 03:12 AM

* Sitting down on the couch every evening and talking to my wife about (fill in the blank )
How are day has went and getting to know each other again and what are needs are each day.
I believe I under stand what you have ben telling me thank you.

[/quote]
Posted By: Doormat_No_More Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/13/11 05:21 PM
@DTL: Have you finished reading "Surviving An Affair", by Dr. Willard Harley & Dr. Jennifer Harley Chalmers yet?

If yes, how well do you feel you're applying what you've learned?

If no, don't you think it's long past time?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/14/11 03:00 AM
I'm trying to apply what I'm learning
No I'm not done reading it yet. I can't read that fast or I will not comprehend what I read. But I'm reading every night.
Posted By: Doormat_No_More Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/14/11 06:46 PM
Cool, SAA is your roadmap out of this mess. The way is very narrow and specific. Those who ignore it -- or pretend that for some reason it doesn't apply to them -- almost inevitably fail to save their marriages. Those couples who both consistently follow it almost invariably succeed. Those couples in which only one follows it struggle quite a bit, and unless the partner gets on-board, typically their marriages fail, too.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/15/11 12:22 AM
I'm growing to learn that. And I do want my marriage to succeed and become even better then ever. Saa is teaching me a lot. And once again I like to thank every one for there advice
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 02:09 AM
Their was never full exposure of my affair. And I'm not sure how to expose it my self. But I know it needs to be done. What would be the best way for me to do this
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Their was never full exposure of my affair. And I'm not sure how to expose it my self. But I know it needs to be done. What would be the best way for me to do this

The most important question;

Is your wife enthusiastic about this.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 03:00 PM
If your wife is enthusiastic....

First make a list of who you intend to disclose your adultery to.

I would recommend that you discuss & decide if your wife wants to go with you, if she wants to, then you take her with you as you meet with these people.

Then you look to your list and schedule times to meet with these people.

Remeber, you are meeting with these people for three purposes;

1. To disclose the truth about what YOU'VE done

2. To acknowledge the pain you've caused your wife as well as the deception you perpetrated on her and others.

3. To apologize for the pain you've caused each of them and ask for their forgiveness.

4. To ask them for their full support of your wife and your marriage while sharing with them the things you've been doing to help your wife and your marriage recover.

What you DO NOT allow during this disclosure;

1. Any blame shifting

2. Any excuses for your behaviors

3. Any discussion that your wife played a role in your choice to cheat..... You remind everyone, your wife didn't get to vote on whether you had sex with OW... See what I mean?

4. Don't share any details your wife doesn't want discussed.

5. Don't expect any kudos! (Expect some of them to be hurt while they process this information, OK! And yes, you still owe them an apology regardless!)

You must remember you'd be doing this to help your wife heal and to strenghten your marriage..... You are casting light on the darkness you've allowed in your life by disclosing the truth. You aren't purging all this to make yourself feel better at your wife and these other peoples expenses, OK!

I'm really encourage to hear you're considering this, many waywards skkip this step and miss out on the benefits that come as a result. We often talk on this forum about repentance.... well this is the step that leads you from repentance to restoration of the man God called you to be.
Please share how this goes....

Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 03:40 PM
You must remember you'd be doing this to help your wife heal and to strenghten your marriage..... You are casting light on the darkness you've allowed in your life by disclosing the truth. You aren't purging all this to make yourself feel better at your wife and these other peoples expenses, OK!

I'm really encourage to hear you're considering this, many waywards skkip this step and miss out on the benefits that come as a result. We often talk on this forum about repentance.... well this is the step that leads you from repentance to restoration of the man God called you to be.
Please share how this goes....

hurray
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 05:21 PM
Thank you for the advice. I do understand all of it
Posted By: LuvsDavid Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 11/19/11 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

The most important question;

Is your wife enthusiastic about this.

Yes I'm very enthusiastic about this.... at least to the few we are talking about.
Becuase I didnt expose and the A was over before I found this site, I'm now having to deal with the fall out instead of him.

For example:
His son does not know. He has not wanted to come over the last few weekends. He told his mom it was becuase "he (dtl) was always up my butt and they never do anything without me"

He also is not spending time with a few of his friends and they dont know why. It is becuase the hobby he does with them is what he used as an alibi while spending time with the OW. I have asked him not to do that hobby for awhile and see if I can overcome the trigger of it. If not, he must give it up completely.

His son was also in the hobby and they did it alot (almost ever weekend without me) so that is one of the things the son is mad about but does not know why they are not doing it.

Im getting the fallout becuase they know it is something to do with me but do not know what it is so they just think I'm being a B*tch
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/02/11 10:57 PM
dtl,

Where ya been hiding?

Why are you still protecting your own image at your wife's expense?

You are valuing your son and your friends and their FALSE image of you more than you are demonstrating protection and care for your wife.... Do you see this??

What's up with that???
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/03/11 03:53 AM
I have no real excuse. I don't even know what to say right now. I will get it done
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/03/11 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I have no real excuse. I don't even know what to say right now. I will get it done

Sit down and write out the points you need to make sure are covered when you sit down with these people.

Keep it simple.

Points such as;

1) I owe you an apology. I've been lying to you and I'm very sorry.

2) I used you as cover to carry on my adulterous affair.

3) I distorted stories about my wife and my marriage, in order to cover for and justify my affair.

4) I'm doing what I should have always been doing; caring for and protecting my wife.

Sit down and write out a few points, OK!

Then go make amends and tell the truth to those around you.

Invite your wife to go along!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/06/11 12:33 AM
The exposure step has Ben done. It was not as bad as I had expected my friends were supportive in helping and my son was a lot more mature then I was expecting and even apologized for how he had Ben acting
Posted By: chickadee1 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/06/11 02:45 PM
see not so bad. good job. they may all give you both some time to heal, dont take that the wrong way. they also are now just struggling with the news, its new to them, it may take time to sink in.

how are your EP's going?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/06/11 05:32 PM
I have the ep's mostly done I'm just working on getting them all put together to give to her should be finished tonight
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/06/11 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
The exposure step has Ben done. It was not as bad as I had expected my friends were supportive in helping and my son was a lot more mature then I was expecting and even apologized for how he had Ben acting

Of course it wasn't so bad!

You sent a text to all of them.... banghead

I'm disappointed to say the least!

You got away with hiding all the details again.

You got to hide behind the safety of a phone!
You didn't have to make any amends..
Answer any questions..
See the look in their eye's when you told them THEY were the alibi that allowed the affair to occur..
Risk info coming out that your wife might not know about yet..
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Texted it instead,,,, such classic wayward behavior......

I'm sorry, but I thought you were about to take a major step in demonstrating how you've changed.... I was wrong.... Instead you reverted back to protecting YOU, YOU, YOU!

What get's me the most is that your son apologized to you guys for not coming around.... You should be embarrassed!
He was gaslighted about your affair, lied to, used as cover and somehow he now has guilt as a result of the fallout.... And you, in your wayward thinking, are proud your son had the courage to apologize.... Really! Seriously! You've led him astray in his thinking, AGAIN!

ARGH! rant2

I want you succeed, I want you to have the best marriage possible, and that's why I refuse to sit by quietly and allow you to get away with these HALF-MEASURES!

Your wife deserves better!
Your son deserves better!

You are capable of better!

Please start posting in more detail if you want help! I don't type well either, yet I and many others give their time freely regardless....

Where are you with your EP's?

Please list them out here so we can review them.

And update me on which of Dr. H's books you've now completed.

Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/07/11 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
Originally Posted by dtl

DTL,
'
Welcome. I know it seems an impossible task (taking the lead) after having devastated your marriage. I am willing to bet that you are terrified of failing. It is hard stepping into shoes you don't feel fit you anymore. It can be paralyzing. Sometimes though, you just have to do it. Pick up doing it anywhere along the line. I am betting luvsdavid will be willing to let you make some mistakes along the way until you get into the groove of taking charge of these things.

DTL,

Are you still working on taking the lead in recovery? Are you being proactive and asking Luvs what she needs and how she needs it in order to progress in recovery?

CV
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/07/11 04:20 PM
*<I hear the crickets chirping>*
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/07/11 04:47 PM
*<I hear the crickets chirping>*

Stay on his butt .... he's slipping.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/07/11 09:47 PM
Here's the thing dtl....

Your silence here is speaking LOUDLY to your injured wife.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/08/11 12:01 AM
Here's the thing dtl....

Your silence here is speaking LOUDLY to your injured wife.

Indeed. Listen DTL,

we want you guys to work, but we can't hold your hand through every single step. You have to get off your rump and start doing.

What are you hoping for? You have a wife who's WILLING to forgive you given time and effort from you.

And the thing is, you are probably putting less time into recovering than you did chasing skirt.

C'mon man. can you list for us the things you are supposed to be doing here? The things that Luvs has said is required for getting your M back?

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/08/11 03:35 AM
Finishing my eps and reviewing them every day. I have finished the eps
Boxing up all my hobby stuff and storing it away it triggers her, done. Since then. She has told me this was a bare minimum. She don't know if she will get over them being a trigger
listing what ow was doing to meet my en's. And give a list of ens.
What I find attractive in a women
Exposure. Got told I was a chicken for doing in txt
tell her about a person I talk to online for a couple of weeks I was going to meet on a weekend that I went out of town but i backed out of meeting
sitting down every Sunday to schedule ua time.
And giving her a list of what I need from her
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/08/11 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Finishing my eps and reviewing them every day. I have finished the eps
Boxing up all my hobby stuff and storing it away it triggers her, done. Since then. She has told me this was a bare minimum. She don't know if she will get over them being a trigger
listing what ow was doing to meet my en's. And give a list of ens.
What I find attractive in a women
Exposure. Got told I was a chicken for doing in txt
tell her about a person I talk to online for a couple of weeks I was going to meet on a weekend that I went out of town but i backed out of meeting
sitting down every Sunday to schedule ua time.
And giving her a list of what I need from her

OK. That's a good start. What are you doing above and beyond that?

cv
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/08/11 02:33 PM
DTL,

I know I probably seem to be firing off questions here, but this one's important...

Are you still hoping to recover your marriage?

If not, why?

If so, what do you envision it being like?

These are important questions, because they affect how you approach your recovery and how hard you are willing to work towards whatever end you are envisioning.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/09/11 02:42 AM
I do still want to recover my marriage very much.
I have visions of us together touring the country together when we retire. Doing every thing from canoeing natural springs in Florida to hiking in yellow stone and every thing in between. I see myself growing old with my wife
But I do have to admit that every time I here her make a comment that she is just giving it the 2 years like she has already given up. I go into self preservation mode. Because I know how bad I hurt her and don't see how she can ever forgive me for that.
I know it's not the right way to think. But I just can't help it sometimes. But I am trying
I have to get myself out of that frame of mind because I know when she gets like that I need to comfort that much more to bring her back up.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/09/11 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I do still want to recover my marriage very much.
I have visions of us together touring the country together when we retire. Doing every thing from canoeing natural springs in Florida to hiking in yellow stone and every thing in between. I see myself growing old with my wife
But I do have to admit that every time I here her make a comment that she is just giving it the 2 years like she has already given up. I go into self preservation mode. Because I know how bad I hurt her and don't see how she can ever forgive me for that.
I know it's not the right way to think. But I just can't help it sometimes. But I am trying
I have to get myself out of that frame of mind because I know when she gets like that I need to comfort that much more to bring her back up.

DTL,

This is a long term investment you are talking about. It is going to require you to put in a lot of sweat equity for the first two years, and the returns aren't going to be seen immediately.

What does a successful marriage need? The same thing a successful business does. A plan. There is no promises the business is going to make it, no matter how much market research you do.YOu just know that for X number of years you will be working to get it going, right? Well this is marriage after an A. If both spouses are willing to work, the FWS has to put in sweat equity. If recovery frame of mind is locking you up[, back up and hit the problem from a different angle. Think of it in terms of business or whatever clicks with you. Whatever you need to get the recovery moving forward.

If business is your deal then expect reports, meetings and long hours.

CV

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/10/11 12:59 AM
Thank you for the advice. We are doing better today. I'm willing to put the effort into are marriage. I think the next step we are working on is the quality of are ua time. We have no problem meeting the hours of it but we have got to make it better. We are going to start finding things we like to do together other than watching TV. I will keep updating how it is going
Posted By: markos Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/10/11 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I know when she gets like that I need to comfort that much more to bring her back up.

It may just be me, but that statement sounds dangerously close to you trying to control her emotions and keeping her from ever feeling anything negative.

There is a fine line between "I want to meet my wife's emotional needs so that she will be in love with me" and "I am extremely uncomfortable with the downturns in my wife's moods, and I will try to push her back up when that happens." If you are not careful, you can wind up being demanding or disrespectful trying to control her moods.

Just focus on making love bank deposits. This is more like dropping pebbles into a river trying to build a bridge. For a long, long time they will disappear beneath the surface of the water, with no discernible effect. You can't measure it by the day to day changes in your wife's mood.

And your wife needs your love bank deposits ALL THE TIME, not just when she is feeling down and needs to be comforted.

I may be overreacting here, but I think that how you think about it is very important. I am certain that HerPapaBear or somebody will correct me if I'm off base here.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/10/11 04:13 AM
I can see were you are coming from with that. But I'm not trying to control her feelings. I just have a problem of reacting negatively when I here that type of stuff. And it's not good for us. What I'm trying to say instead of me withdrawing from her I need to be there for her
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/11/11 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
We are doing better today.

My wife brought to my attention one of the things I keep messing up. I have a problem of just assuming that when she seems happy that she really is instead of asking her if she is. I know I need to get in the habit of asking her how she feels instead of assuming I know by how she is acting. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to break this habit?

That above quote for example. She asked me how I knew "WE" were doing better.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/11/11 04:28 AM
Where are you with your EP's?

Please list them out here so we can review them.

And update me on which of Dr. H's books you've now completed.

Still hearing the crickets chirping!
Posted By: markos Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/11/11 05:47 AM
dtl, I'd just like to strongly encourage you to answer HerPapaBear's questions. There's real work here to become a better husband. Stuff has to get done; not just charting your progress and looking for emotional support.

Don't get distracted from the things you need to DO.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 02:48 AM
here is my ep's

I will make a list of all passwords for email accounts, bank accounts, phone accounts and give this list to my wife. I will update any changes immediately.

I will eliminate or change any old email accounts and I will only have new, necessary, email accounts that my wife has access to.

I will make a seperate key to all vehicles, locks, storage units, etc. and give my wife the spare keys.

I will research and provide a means for GPS tracking of my whereabouts at all times.

I will schedule a polygraph with a professional that my wife is enthusiastic about. I will ask my wife to provide a list of questions for the polygraph that will not be disclosed to me ahead of time.

Part 2
1. I will be open and honest by telling you how I feel, what I�m thinking of , stuff I would like to do
What has happened during the day and letting you know how you are making me feel
4. I will protect you from being hurt any more I will achieve this by following my ep�s and not ever allowing any form of an affair to happen again and to keep my taker in check
5. I will do what it takes to bring you up when you are down and comfort you when you are hurt I will achieve this by holding you , running my fingers through your hair, gently rubbing your head, giving you a back rub, and telling you how much I love you and how much you mean to me
7. I will not go on any kind of dating, porn, or personals web sites and wont look at any profiles on forums without your approval first
8. I will not make any plans during the day , without first discussing them with you . And will use poja as a tool in all aspects of our marriage
9. I will be sure that any computer we have will have a key logger on it and you will be the only one with access codes . I will also maintain a gps tracking on my phone
13. I will always put you at the top of my priorities. I will achieve this by sitting down with you every day and talking about how you feel and how your day has been and seeing if you need anything
14. I will agree to and except any other terms you may come up with

I have read HNHN ,LB ,and SAA
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
here is my ep's

I will make a list of all passwords for email accounts, bank accounts, phone accounts and give this list to my wife. I will update any changes immediately.

I will eliminate or change any old email accounts and I will only have new, necessary, email accounts that my wife has access to.

I will make a seperate key to all vehicles, locks, storage units, etc. and give my wife the spare keys.

I will research and provide a means for GPS tracking of my whereabouts at all times.

I will schedule a polygraph with a professional that my wife is enthusiastic about. I will ask my wife to provide a list of questions for the polygraph that will not be disclosed to me ahead of time.

dtl,

These lists are good.

Have you completed all the above items??
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 01:53 PM
We have not done the poly yet we don't have the money for it
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
We have not done the poly yet we don't have the money for it

Have you chosen a place to have it done?

How much is it??

What is your plan for coming up with the funds needed???
Posted By: LuvsDavid Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 08:30 PM
We have looked around and it is minimum 500. We have discussed it and im wanting to save that money and sign up for the online course instead. Im comfortable that I know all I need. I honestly don't want any more details.

I might ask for a poly later in recovery to verify things going forward bit im done looking back.

My mother is in hospice and they give her 48 hours. It woke me up to how little time we have and I don't want to waste it looking back at the bad..... only the good and what we can make out of the future.
Posted By: sweetpea2011 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 08:54 PM
Luvs:

So sorry to hear about your mother. Peace be with you.

SweetPea
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 08:56 PM
So sorry to hear about your mom.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 09:55 PM
We have looked around and it is minimum 500. We have discussed it and im wanting to save that money and sign up for the online course instead. Im comfortable that I know all I need. I honestly don't want any more details.

I might ask for a poly later in recovery to verify things going forward bit im done looking back.

dtl,

Given your wife's response....

What is your plan for coming up with the money necessary to work the online program?

What is your plan to avoid getting half way through the program and stopping??

LD & dtl,

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, my prayers go out for you and your family...
Posted By: LuvsDavid Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 10:05 PM
Thank you guys. She has been in pain so in a way it is a release. Im more worried about my stepdad. He is not taking this well at all but wont leave her side.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 10:39 PM
We were both out of work for a little while. I'm back at work now and we have her dog kennels up and operating now so we are just about to get caught back up on are bills. So we can start saving for the course
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 10:43 PM
My plan to stick to the course ? I don't think I have a plan to say. I just know I have to keep with it to be able to make are marriage the best that it can
Posted By: chickadee1 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/12/11 11:41 PM
dtl & luvs- my thoughts and prayers are with you both at this difficult time.

dont shut down either of you.

dtl- luvs will need you as she will probably be caring for everyone during this time- please make sure you give her extra hugs, and keep focused on helping her thru this.

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/13/11 12:58 AM
Thank all of you for the support.
She is my number one concern. She is very strong. But I will be here for her through every step comforting her anyway I can.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/13/11 01:09 AM

My mother is in hospice and they give her 48 hours. It woke me up to how little time we have and I don't want to waste it looking back at the bad..... only the good and what we can make out of the future.

Prayers are with you guys. So sorry to hear this. Use it as an opportunity to lean on each other (HINT DTL).

CV
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/13/11 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
My plan to stick to the course ? I don't think I have a plan to say. I just know I have to keep with it to be able to make are marriage the best that it can

DTL,

one of the best things you can do with the overall plan of recovery is to make checklists for yourself. What will you do today? Tomorrow?

These will help you stay on track. Keep your EP's as part of the checklist and add little things like notes, cards, little everyday "Ilove you's" . Also add things like reminding yourself "Hey luvs, how are you feeling today? What can I do to make your day better?" My W did/does this for me. I LOVE it.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/14/11 03:52 AM
Thank you for the advice. I like the idea of a actual check list. I try to do that stuff for here now. But sometimes I get so busy at work and stuff I forget and that's not good.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/14/11 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Thank you for the advice. I like the idea of a actual check list. I try to do that stuff for here now. But sometimes I get so busy at work and stuff I forget and that's not good.

You're welcome. remember, you aren't a mind reader and sometimes body language and facial expressions can be deceiving for us. We need to ask to find the truth. Lists help until it becomes natural for us.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/14/11 09:28 PM
You are definitely right about that
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/17/11 04:54 AM
Sorry I've not posted any updates in a couple days. Right now I'm just focusing on trying to comfort my wife and be strong for her. Her mom's funeral is tomorrow and I know it is going to be a ruff day for her. I just hope I can comfort her enough through this
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/17/11 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Sorry I've not posted any updates in a couple days. Right now I'm just focusing on trying to comfort my wife and be strong for her. Her mom's funeral is tomorrow and I know it is going to be a ruff day for her. I just hope I can comfort her enough through this

It's understandable. You are both managing a crisis. be strong. see how you can beef up your daily lists for meeting her needs. Maybe bring her her coffee, or make breakfast or things like that. Pamper her as she is mourning the loss. Someone mentioned that rebuilding is like tossing pebbles in a creek to make a bridge. You don't see results at first, but eventually they start building up.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/21/11 02:21 PM
Just a small update my w is still just numb over everything going on. I'm trying to be there for her as much as possible. She says that she don't know of anything more I can do for her right now. But I'm going to keep trying.
On the upside of everything her newest grandson was born at the end of last week
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/22/11 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Just a small update my w is still just numb over everything going on. I'm trying to be there for her as much as possible. She says that she don't know of anything more I can do for her right now. But I'm going to keep trying.
On the upside of everything her newest grandson was born at the end of last week

You guys have just hit a huge bump with this. Stay the course DTL. Time is going to help you win this.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/22/11 02:05 AM
I know. I'm never going to give up on us. I'm realizing now more then ever how much she means to me. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do if it would have been her instead of her mom. Seeing how this is affecting her step dad has really made me think more and more about us
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/25/11 02:30 AM
Still holding on. She is having a really hard time with everything right now
She just showed me the poem chickadee1 posted in the marry Christmas thread. I really wish I could do that for her
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/25/11 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Still holding on. She is having a really hard time with everything right now
She just showed me the poem chickadee1 posted in the marry Christmas thread. I really wish I could do that for her

Contact me off list. **edit**. I have an idea. wink
Posted By: MBLBanker Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/25/11 04:55 AM
Contact JustUss for an email exchange.�� JustUss2@aol.com
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/25/11 09:19 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to get me to do
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/26/11 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I'm not sure what you are trying to get me to do

I had an idea for you that I wanted to share with you off-list if you were up for it. The mods said to contact justus (email in the mod note) if you were up for it.

If not, it's cool.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/27/11 01:20 AM
I tried to get the idea but never got anything back
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/27/11 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I tried to get the idea but never got anything back

I haven't seen anything in the inbox. JustUss2@aol.com may be vacationing over the holidays?

ok don't let your wife read the next line!

Does your W like poetry?
Posted By: JustUss Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/27/11 02:07 AM
JustUss2@aol.com may be vacationing over the holidays?

Nope! Here & on duty!!

I only got email from one of you. I need permission from both for the exchange to occur!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/30/11 03:19 AM
Thank you for the ideas.celticvoyager
Now for a little update
My wife is starting to feel a little better now. She has been sick for the past several days. I've been trying to take care of her but she keeps telling me she feels guilty having me do everything. I try telling her to not feel guilty for it. That I take care of her because I want to. Is there anything else I can do to help her not feel that way
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 12/30/11 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Thank you for the ideas.celticvoyager
Now for a little update
My wife is starting to feel a little better now. She has been sick for the past several days. I've been trying to take care of her but she keeps telling me she feels guilty having me do everything. I try telling her to not feel guilty for it. That I take care of her because I want to. Is there anything else I can do to help her not feel that way

one thing my wife reinforced with me when I fell sick was "baby, I took bad care of you when I was with "jerk", let me show you love now"

You are doing good. These are the times where the rubber meets the road. No expectations of kudos, just doing good because it's... well... it's good.

Glad the ideas helped. I'm always happy to help. This sounds kinda manipulative, but I'll say it anyway... She's vulnerable right now... Anything you do will have a greater impact. Remember that. For good or ill.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/04/12 02:23 AM
Just another update. My wife is still triggering a lot with every thing going on. She has had a really tuff time these past several weeks. But I believe I'm doing pretty good. She is thanking me for everything that I've been doing for her. And when I ask if there is anything else I can do to make this time easier for her she says not that she can think of. But I'm not going to slack up any. I want to keep improving things
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/04/12 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Just another update. My wife is still triggering a lot with every thing going on. She has had a really tuff time these past several weeks. But I believe I'm doing pretty good. She is thanking me for everything that I've been doing for her. And when I ask if there is anything else I can do to make this time easier for her she says not that she can think of. But I'm not going to slack up any. I want to keep improving things

DTL,

This is a good path (believe it or not). As you continue, her triggers will diminish more and more. Now, it is a war of attrition. Just remember, with the loss of her mom, it may take a little longer.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/04/12 10:31 PM
Yes I understand with the loss of her mom it will take extra time she has had a little bit of a ruff time with her kennels to. Not helping matters none. But I will be right by her side helping her to heal as long as she will let me. She is very strong so I feel we will make it through everything together
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/08/12 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Yes I understand with the loss of her mom it will take extra time she has had a little bit of a ruff time with her kennels to. Not helping matters none. But I will be right by her side helping her to heal as long as she will let me. She is very strong so I feel we will make it through everything together

DTL,

How about an update for everyone here? How's recovery going for you and Luvs? Have you guys discussed POJA yet?

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/09/12 03:24 AM
Things are going slow for us right now. This is a though time for her being the one year mark from my a and every thing else that has happened to her recently. I'm trying hard but it is rough sometimes. I feel that with all the effort I put into helping her through all of this there is very little deposit into her lb but I'm going to keep on doing the work.
Yes we have discussed poja I try to use it but sometimes I slip and forget to after so many years of not using it I just slip up. I do need to work harder at it.
Posted By: pokerface Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/09/12 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I feel that with all the effort I put into helping her through all of this there is very little deposit into her lb but I'm going to keep on doing the work.
Yes we have discussed poja I try to use it but sometimes I slip and forget to after so many years of not using it I just slip up. I do need to work harder at it.

dtl. My own FWH used to say things like that to me and it was a huge LB withdrawal. That was taking no responsibiltiy for his actions...forgot. How could he forget? That said to me that he was not taking it seriously.

Just wanted to point out the message that a BS receives when they hear things like this.

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/09/12 03:57 PM
I'm taking this seriously. I try to catch myself. But it still happens sometimes
Posted By: Pepperband Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/09/12 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by dtl

Write "POJA" on the inside of your wrist with a marker.
When it fades, rewrite it.
Keep the temporary POJA 'tattoo' for a year.
Habits can be learned.
Posted By: Doormat_No_More Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/10/12 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I'm taking this seriously. I try to catch myself. But it still happens sometimes

My solution is simple when my spouse demands rather than negotiating: I stop what I'm doing, look directly at her, and wait with an expectant look on my face. No demands, no disrespect, an acknowledgement of her presence, but ignoring the demand she just made. We've both read the same books, we both know what we should be doing, but it's easy to get lazy. Demands are quicker than negotiation.

She quickly realizes and re-phrases her question.

It goes both ways, too. I've occasionally found her giving me a blank look rather than responding to my question, and realized I was making a demand.

It's a learning process.

One response we used a lot early in recovery when a spouse made a demand was, "I'd love it if you'd rephrase your question" or "I love it when you ask how I'd feel about doing that."
Posted By: markos Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/10/12 07:21 PM
This might be a helpful suggestion, too:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
If your negotiation turns sour, and one of you succumbs to the temptation of the Taker with demands, disrespect or anger, end the discussion by changing the subject to something more pleasant. After a brief pause, your spouse may apologize and wish to return to the subject that was so upsetting. But don't go back into the minefield until it has been swept clear of mines. The mines, of course, are demands, disrespect and anger, and you must discuss how to avoid them before you return to the issue. You can't negotiate if your Takers' destructive instincts control your discussion.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html
Posted By: Doormat_No_More Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/10/12 08:47 PM
That's a great tip! It's less antagonistic than leaving the room -- my preferred solution if my wife gets angry -- and less passive than staring mutely!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/11/12 12:41 AM
That is all good advice. And thank you.
I have no problem at all with using poja. I just sometimes need to be reminded when I don't use it. I usually don't realize I did it. I remember one day I made plans and told my wife about them without negotiating with her and realized what I did and called her right back and apologized for it and included her in with poja on it.
But I still have a long way to go
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/11/12 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
That is all good advice. And thank you.
I have no problem at all with using poja. I just sometimes need to be reminded when I don't use it. I usually don't realize I did it. I remember one day I made plans and told my wife about them without negotiating with her and realized what I did and called her right back and apologized for it and included her in with poja on it.
But I still have a long way to go

Is it pepperband's sign off? Progress... not perfection.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/13/12 03:39 AM
Just a small update things are still slow we have both caught the crud that has been going around. I've not got the item done yet that cv and I talked about I feel bad that I haven't done it yet. but by the time I get home from work and try to help her out with stuff around here I just want to sit and hold her and relax. I'm hoping to get started on it soon though
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/13/12 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Just a small update things are still slow we have both caught the crud that has been going around. I've not got the item done yet that cv and I talked about I feel bad that I haven't done it yet. but by the time I get home from work and try to help her out with stuff around here I just want to sit and hold her and relax. I'm hoping to get started on it soon though

Good on ya! Take care of your health first. And LD's too. Poor health = slow recovery....

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/19/12 04:11 AM
We are sort of standing idle right now. I feel like things are getting a little better myself. I can see she is starting to meet my needs a little more. But with both of us being sick and all it is just going slow. I told her tonight that I'm a little down I feel like I'm not doing enough to make are ua time count she said that it is about all she has felt like doing physically and mentally. I want to do more to bring her up. I'm trying to be strong during this hard time for her but I feel it is taking a toll on me mentally to. I need to find a way to jump start us back into recovery. I don't want her to think that I'm not trying. Because I am trying very hard
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/19/12 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
We are sort of standing idle right now. I feel like things are getting a little better myself. I can see she is starting to meet my needs a little more. But with both of us being sick and all it is just going slow. I told her tonight that I'm a little down I feel like I'm not doing enough to make are ua time count she said that it is about all she has felt like doing physically and mentally. I want to do more to bring her up. I'm trying to be strong during this hard time for her but I feel it is taking a toll on me mentally to. I need to find a way to jump start us back into recovery. I don't want her to think that I'm not trying. Because I am trying very hard

Goals are important, DTL. Take a little time each night and get that project started. I know if you are like me, that thing will probably take a week in my head before it takes real shape.

Anyway, there's not a heckuva lot you can do recovering from sickness, at least not more than it appears you both have been doing.

Use what we talked about as a jumpstart. I think it'll be good. The truth is that recovery is just mostly hard, grueling work at first... It mentally wears on you and you are physically exhausted.

CV

Cv
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/24/12 04:14 AM
Another update even though things have been going slow we are starting on some better ua time. We went miniature golfing the other day and played battle ship tonight. We have been spending time together but it has been mostly watching TV together. It just means more to me when we do different stuff together
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/24/12 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Another update even though things have been going slow we are starting on some better ua time. We went miniature golfing the other day and played battle ship tonight. We have been spending time together but it has been mostly watching TV together. It just means more to me when we do different stuff together

How's other stuff going? Is she telling you you are meeting her EN's? Are you guys spending quality time talking too? How about the project?

I can't remember LD's en's off the top of my head. Are you working to meet hers too?
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/24/12 02:05 PM
I try but I don't think she ever sees it I know she said for me not to read her post. But most of the time that is the only way I can find out how she is feeling. She always turns down my suggestions saying she don't feel like it but then when she brings it up it's all her idea and I'm not trying. I don't know what to do anymore
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/24/12 06:10 PM
The Policy Of Undivided Attention; I don't care if you've read it before, read it again... link to POUA

It's pretty childish for either of you to complain about who comes up with the activities your going to do during your UA. Both of you should be sitting down once a week and planning out your UA schedule, otherwise the UA schedule doesn't happen! Flying by the seat of your pant's with UA time just turns to resentment in the end!

When you can't think of anything else to do, fill up the bath tub and go take a bath together, laugh about how hard it is to wash while your in there together. Then move to the bedroom, enjoy rubbing some baby oils, etc. on each other and make love.... UA time is critical!

RE-read the Link and follow Dr. H's road map!

Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/24/12 11:38 PM
The Policy Of Undivided Attention; I don't care if you've read it before, read it again... link to POUA

It's pretty childish for either of you to complain about who comes up with the activities your going to do during your UA. Both of you should be sitting down once a week and planning out your UA schedule, otherwise the UA schedule doesn't happen! Flying by the seat of your pant's with UA time just turns to resentment in the end!

When you can't think of anything else to do, fill up the bath tub and go take a bath together, laugh about how hard it is to wash while your in there together. Then move to the bedroom, enjoy rubbing some baby oils, etc. on each other and make love.... UA time is critical!

RE-read the Link and follow Dr. H's road map!

I agree, and add to it the POJA. Sometimes the TV just don't cut it.

CV

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/26/12 11:52 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I went back and read it again. And looking back at are post I agree with you. The important thing is quality ua time.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 01/27/12 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
Thanks for the reminder. I went back and read it again. And looking back at are post I agree with you. The important thing is quality ua time.

You guys might want to do the en questionnaire if it's been a few weeks as well. It helps spark conversation and gives ideas for how to meet those needs.

CV
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/20/12 07:44 PM
Well I've done it again. Every time I start feeling good about how things are going I find a way to screw it up. I'm a mechanic and one of the few perks to my job is getting to do side jobs for extra money when we are not that busy. Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it but the Guy I worked on it for my wife does not like his wife because she acted to needy with me. Well I didn't tell her instendly about it. Now she is ready to give up on us. I wish I could make things right.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/20/12 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Well I've done it again. Every time I start feeling good about how things are going I find a way to screw it up. I'm a mechanic and one of the few perks to my job is getting to do side jobs for extra money when we are not that busy. Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it but the Guy I worked on it for my wife does not like his wife because she acted to needy with me. Well I didn't tell her instendly about it. Now she is ready to give up on us. I wish I could make things right.

DTL,

Why didn't you tell her instantly about it? Isn't this one of the EP's you have in place?

CV
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/20/12 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
Well I took one a few days ago and didn't think much about it

Until you make the decision to be radically honest and live a transparent lifestyle, nothing will change for you or your marriage.

Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/20/12 11:31 PM
I know all I have is excuses but I'm trying. Being open and thinking ahead to tell her everything is hard. Not because I don't want to but because it's something that I haven't had to do since I was about 12. And every time I do something like this I get told she has had enough and is going to leave me but I never get told when I'm doing good. And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope. I don't know if I'm even making any sense right now.
Posted By: sweetpea2011 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/20/12 11:59 PM
DTL:

You clearly have not held up your end of the MBs philosophy.

You say you haven't been honest in your life since age 12? That's really sad. You, sir, need help, and your wife doesn't need your pathetic attempts that always fall by the wayside. YOU, sir, hurt her tremendously with your affair. Fix it or let her go!
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/21/12 02:38 AM
That did not come out the way I meant it. I wasn't talking about honesty I was talking about openness and letting someone know about what I have going on.
I know I hurt her. But I'm not perfect by no means. What I'm trying to say is I'm have to teach myself a hole new way of life and actions. I have never met any one who is perfect and can get it right the first time and never mess up.
And I don't want to lose her. But I don't control her. She is free to do what she want and all I can do is hope that she sees I'm trying. And allow me to make lb deposits
Posted By: sweetpea2011 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/21/12 02:53 AM
well, then make them. Honestly. If your marriage means that much then ... just ... do ... it.

Make it your sole focus in life.

Otherwise, your words are empty.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/21/12 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
That did not come out the way I meant it. I wasn't talking about honesty I was talking about openness and letting someone know about what I have going on.
I know I hurt her. But I'm not perfect by no means. What I'm trying to say is I'm have to teach myself a hole new way of life and actions. I have never met any one who is perfect and can get it right the first time and never mess up.
And I don't want to lose her. But I don't control her. She is free to do what she want and all I can do is hope that she sees I'm trying. And allow me to make lb deposits

DTL,

Let me share something with you that I shared with my wife the night of Dday...

"You have a VERY short learning curve. A learning curve that is not as wide as others because of what you have done. This means you have to learn some things and learn them pretty darn quick if you want to stay married." No, you don't have to be perfect, but you are going to have top be better than just "good" right now. You know why? Because good isn't good enough after an affair. You have to be great.

You didn't just "hurt" LD, you destroyed her life. You took away everything she hoped and dreamed of. Please understand this, it is not enough to give mere intellectual assent to it. It needs to permeate the very fabric of your being.

What does this mean? It means that you are going to have to do more and better than the faithful spouse until there is some even ground, and that is going to take a while. And no, you aren't going to get many kudos for doing what you are supposed to be doing to fix this.

CV

Posted By: chickadee1 Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/21/12 01:43 PM
i agree with CV. i said similar to H.

your life will never be the same, it must change -you must change.

every move you make effects luvs EVERY!

so 2 things you did. you took the job with out POJAing it and then you didnt tell her. well the second one basically tells her that you are willing to lie still, and that rocks her to the core.

see if you just simply tell her everything you would not be in this mess.

DTL- change your life
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/22/12 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
I know all I have is excuses but I'm trying. Being open and thinking ahead to tell her everything is hard. Not because I don't want to but because it's something that I haven't had to do since I was about 12. And every time I do something like this I get told she has had enough and is going to leave me but I never get told when I'm doing good. And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope. I don't know if I'm even making any sense right now.

Dtl,

Makes perfect sense. The problem is that the sense is nonsense. Why are you making excuses and keeping secrets? If you KNOW that keeping secrets will destroy your life with LD, why keep doing it? What are you protecting?

Is taking a side-job from a woman who's "needy" (flirting) really worth the cost of your marriage for 500 or 1000 bucks?

Also, what are you trying? All you had to do a month ago was a sketch for LD. A little thing that would have meant a lot. Did you ever even start it? You had time to sit on the couch (by your own admission) and watch TV.

What exactly are your trying to do? sounds like you are trying to have a "normal marriage" in the wake of the affair. Problem is, you can't have that. at least not yet.

So she's telling you she's leaving? Well, let me tell you, her saying that should not be taken lightly. But it should also motivate you. She's giving you a chance to fix things by saying that. She hasn't just up and left. It is your opportunity to do something, because right now, it appears you are doing nothing.

Question is, what are you going to do?

CV
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/22/12 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by dtl
And the threatening to leave makes me feel like there is no hope.

Of course it does, because it's an abusive strategy.

You are in control of your reaction to that, however.

And you are in control of your ability to be open.

It's simple; you run any side work you are offered by LD before you accept it. That's it.

If she does not agree to it, you don't do it.
Posted By: HerPapaBear Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/23/12 08:39 PM
A REFORMED alcoholic typically will white knuckle their sobriety and constantly fight the urge to pick up a drink. EP's will be resented as something they must do or they will drink again.

A TRANSFORMED alcoholic has an entire change of psyche, making it possible to cease fighting everything and everyone around them. EP's are easily incorporated into their lives as an enlightend and integrated part of life they now embrace. Rather than constantly feeling tempted by alcohol, they recoil from it, as if pulling away from a hot flame.

I frequently see waywards that are reformed, rather than transformed, which is why everything seems to be a struggle for them..... They fall short of the transformation necessary for a peaceful road toward recovery from infidelity, because they resent having to make any changes! They don't recognize that the opportunity for transformation is a GIFT!

Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/23/12 08:44 PM
A REFORMED alcoholic typically will white knuckle their sobriety and constantly fight the urge to pick up a drink. EP's will be resented as something they must do or they will drink again.

A TRANSFORMED alcoholic has an entire change of psyche, making it possible to cease fighting everything and everyone around them. EP's are easily incorporated into their lives as an enlightend and integrated part of life they now embrace. Rather than constantly feeling tempted by alcohol, they recoil from it, as if pulling away from a hot flame.

I frequently see waywards that are reformed, rather than transformed, which is why everything seems to be a struggle for them..... They fall short of the transformation necessary for a peaceful road toward recovery from infidelity, because they resent having to make any changes! They don't recognize that the opportunity for transformation is a GIFT!

I think you just hit the nail on the head.
Posted By: dtl Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/25/12 03:38 AM
I've read that post several times today. You make a lot of sense with that analogy. I want to become transformed.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: help healing my wife's wounds - 02/25/12 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by dtl
I've read that post several times today. You make a lot of sense with that analogy. I want to become transformed.

--Want-- is a good **start**, but it's a long way from finish. DTL, you have a lot of tools at your disposal. Are you going to use them?

CV
© Marriage Builders® Forums