Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
J
OP Offline
J
Update 12 hours after exposure:

*Out of the 600 messages I sent, I have already received two supportive reply messages.
*I have also received 10+ phone calls from an "unknown phone number" (not displayed), and so I have not picked up. Because this person does not leave a message or display their number, I assume that it is the OM.
*After the exposure, I was a little restless and unable to sleep (as you can imagine since it took me so long to build up the nerve). I tried to avoid the topic, but my WW pursued it, and I finally told her the truth about the exposure, but I explained that it was necessary, and that the OM had probably never ever dealt with the consequences of his actions ... until now. She was upset, called me "cold and calculating" and "vengeful". I justified it, but I also told her that I would not do it again. wink

She is afraid that he will try something vengeful in response. We'll see.....

B
B
Originally Posted by JapanDude
Update 12 hours after exposure:

*Out of the 600 messages I sent, I have already received two supportive reply messages.
*I have also received 10+ phone calls from an "unknown phone number" (not displayed), and so I have not picked up. Because this person does not leave a message or display their number, I assume that it is the OM.
*After the exposure, I was a little restless and unable to sleep (as you can imagine since it took me so long to build up the nerve). I tried to avoid the topic, but my WW pursued it, and I finally told her the truth about the exposure, but I explained that it was necessary, and that the OM had probably never ever dealt with the consequences of his actions ... until now. She was upset, called me "cold and calculating" and "vengeful". I justified it, but I also told her that I would not do it again. wink

She is afraid that he will try something vengeful in response. We'll see.....
Well I'd say exposure was a bullseye so far. The angrier the WS becomes the better the exposure.

Just say, "I am so sorry you are upset.. Can I get you a potato chip?" laugh
And I will do whatever it takes to protect my M.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
She was upset, called me "cold and calculating" and "vengeful". I justified it, but I also told her that I would not do it again.
Don't make promises like this because it can erode some of the trust and honesty you need to build on, going forward. You don't have to promise you'll never do it again - just promise her that you will ALWAYS do whatever it takes to protect your marriage. She needs to understand that she's good to go as long as she is a faithful wife. She also needs to know that you will not stand by idly if she chooses to be unfaithful; that there will be consequences and repercussions for her adultery.

Cold and calculating? laugh A wayward would call it that. When she comes out of her fog she'll understand that you are a warrior for your marriage! What wife wouldn't want that in her husband??

Good job, JD. weightlifter

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M

ANSWER THIS CALL. It might be the OMW!!!

She was upset, called me "cold and calculating" and "vengeful". I justified it, but I also told her that I would not do it again. wink

That is a very bad message to give to a wayward. By telling her you think you did something wrong, you have handed her a bullet with which to shoot you with! Don't tell her you regret doing it! OWN your actions.

Exposing an affair is not "cold and calculating." Having an affair with a man's wife is cruel, cold and calculating.

She is afraid that he will try something vengeful in response. We'll see..... [/quote]

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P

JapanDude are you going to take control over what goes on in your own home or what? Why are you afraid to answer the phone?

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

N
N
She was upset, called me "cold and calculating" and "vengeful".

Did you ask her why she cares more for POSOM's sensitivities than yours? She's almost gone, J-Dude. You'd better step up your Plan A actions.

J
OP Offline
J
Update (5/3/2012)

OVERALL
I think that we have finally turned the corner. The exposure on April 29 lit a fire and caused quite a bit of tension, but things have quieted down, and we are now moving forward. She has started accepting the responsibility for her actions, and we are both trying to meet each other's emotional needs better. This has made Plan A a lot easier. I don't know how long I could have done Plan A without a least some positive results from her.

SURVEILLANCE
I am still doing surveillance, but my WW suspects this and has avoided computer use, she said. The only other ways of contact are using her cellphone (I have already registered for a detailed call log) and her iPod (Internet enabled).

CONTACT WITH OW'S WIFE
Because of the big splash that my FB exposure made, two days ago, the OW contacted me. Word of the affair DID get to her because of my actions, but she wanted to keep it quiet. I explained that I needed to do this to ensure that her husband would observe the "NO CONTACT", which brings me to....

WHY EXPOSURE WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO
OK, everyone here was right about the FB exposure. It was 100% the right thing to do. Still, it DID create tension between me and my WW. Also, like everyone here said, timing is important. The exposure can also be construed as "revenge" if it is not done close to the discovery date.
It was right for my case because the OM thinks that he can fly into town and hook up with former girlfriends. He weasels his way into this by saying that he "just wants to keep in touch", is "just friends", and "just wants to see you" -- my WW fell into this trap. Even if my WW promises no contact, I have NO guarantee that he would. THAT IS WHY EXPOSURE WAS NECESSARY for me. It enables me to ensure that he knows that there are consequences to his actions. I messaged about 600 of his 911 FB friends (particularly targeting his family, women, people with family, and his work contacts -- he did this while on a 3-month work stint).
He knows that I am watching my WW's computer. He knows if he contacts her by FB, I can view his friends. He knows if he e-mails her, I will expose to his family and friends.

As I explained to my WW, if I did not expose, who would stop him? His friends? His mother? His wife? NO ONE!!
That's why exposure was necessary. And if it affects his work and family -- so much the better. Actions have consequences!

Thanks again to everyone. Although I cannot speak for everyone's case, exposure was 110% the right thing for me!
Also, instead of sending the 600 FB messages at 1 minute intervals (=15+ hours), I sent bunches of 4 to 5 messages at once, waited 1 to 2 minutes, and then sent another bunch of 4 to 5 messages. (This took about 6 hours with breaks.) No problems!

Thank you everyone, and wish us luck!
smile

K
K
Thanks for that update. She may have bought a phone solely to conduct damage control/continue her affair, so be on the lookout for that sort of thing.

And it's good to know about FB! That can really help when we tell other people to expose via FB.

Last edited by karmasrose; 05/03/12 01:42 AM.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
B
B
hurray JD you're a MB warrior.

Too bad for OM's BW being in denial, but glad you got the message to her.

Wow 600!!! I think that may be a MB record!! Woo Hoo! Anyone??

I hope other BS read your thread and see the importance of Dr. Harley's plan and exposure.

Hats off to you.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
hurray JD you're a MB warrior.

Too bad for OM's BW being in denial, but glad you got the message to her.

Wow 600!!! I think that may be a MB record!! Woo Hoo! Anyone??

I hope other BS read your thread and see the importance of Dr. Harley's plan and exposure.

Hats off to you.

WOW 600 I take my hat off to you. I'm glad you listened to the advice given here. The vets and those with more experience than us newbies know MB principles and their intentions are to help save our marriages and help us recover personally.... they've walked in our shoes they know what we feel and understand the rollercoaster.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
M
M
The exposure can also be construed as "revenge" if it is not done close to the discovery date.
Exposure is never done for 'revenge'. Exposure is done to enable you to recover your marriage. Don't confuse the two.

The critical question is "what is your WW doing to recover this marriage?"

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
OP Offline
J
Exposure is never done for 'revenge'. Exposure is done to enable you to recover your marriage. Don't confuse the two.

Well, although I contacted 600 of the 911 FB friends on the OM's personal FB page, he also has a work-related Photography FB page with 750 friends. Assuming that about half of them are already the same as his personal page or unavailable for messaging, should I go for the 1000 mark? (600 + 375)

Personally, I think that I am ready to move to the next step (Plan A at full power), but I have been pleasantly surprised at the positive effects of this exposure. This morning, my WW said that my exposure will probably keep him from contacting her again and grudgingly admitted that it was probably a good thing. smile

M
M
Personally, I think that I am ready to move to the next step (Plan A at full power), but I have been pleasantly surprised at the positive effects of this exposure. This morning, my WW said that my exposure will probably keep him from contacting her again and grudgingly admitted that it was probably a good thing. smile

Good job at affair killing!! The next step is not Plan A, but Recovery. The end of the affair should be demonstrated by a no contact letter to scumboy that is written by her, approved by you and sent together.

The next steps for recovery are here: Requirements for Recovery

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

Exposure 101

P
P
Update (5/3/2012)

OVERALL
I think that we have finally turned the corner. The exposure on April 29 lit a fire and caused quite a bit of tension, but things have quieted down, and we are now moving forward. She has started accepting the responsibility for her actions, and we are both trying to meet each other's emotional needs better. This has made Plan A a lot easier. I don't know how long I could have done Plan A without a least some positive results from her.
smile

JapanDude. Great update.

How exactly is WW starting to accept responsibility?

Has she committed to NC for LIFE and handwritten a no contact letter to OM which she gives to you to approve and send? Here are some examples:NC Letters Make sure she does not have any foggy closure type wording. Sticking to the template is best.

Has WW agreed to EP's to affair proof your marriage?

1. no opposite sex friendships
2. complete transparency of her life including phones, computers, passwords, etc ( don't let on about your secret snooping methods) But she needs to agree to 100% transparency.
3. no more social networks unless it is a joint account.
4. no overnights apart
5. Policy of joint agreement
6. commitment to a MB recovery program
7. NC for LIFE with OM and she will inform you if he tries to make contact.
8. whatever else your situation may need to protect your marriage

Are you getting 20 hrs per week of UA time to rebuild the romantic love in your marriage?

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

P
P

Dang. ML beats me every time. smile

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
Originally Posted by pokerface
Dang. ML beats me every time. smile

kiss

Exposure 101

P
P

I need to learn to type with more than one finger.
rotflmao

Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

M
M
rotflmao

We hafta watch that rascal, Brainhurts........She beats me all the time! crazy

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
rotflmao

We hafta watch that rascal, Brainhurts........She beats me all the time! crazy

Haha. I learned from the best. kiss

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 240 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation