Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
M
M
Oh, and if she plays the "you are controlling me" card MrRollieEyes, tell her she is a grown woman and you do not have that kind of control over her. The only thing you can control are your own boundaries. And these extraordinary precautions are what it will take to keep you in this marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by JapanDude
I'm new to great forum.

BACKGROUND
My WW had an affair with a former boyfriend who was in town temporarily while I was visiting family.

JapanDude. This is exactly why there can be no overnights aparts. You must eliminate all the conditions that made the affair possible.

Don't engage in heated discussions about this. She knows you will cave when she gets angry. Don't engage. You are cool and calm like James Bond.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

P
P
if she gave birth in a hospital
sigh

I hope you were able to keep from laughing. I hope you realize this is just a diversion.

To recover, you need to have completely integrated lives going forward.

How much time does WW spend with Hula training? This is time away from her family. There are many people here where competitive sports was the seed for an affair.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

N
N
My thoughts too exactly. But she would not budge.

EXCUSE ME ALL TO HELL!!!! [Linked Image from planetsmilies.net]

Exactly which of the two of you did the "horizontal cha-cha" with a third party? She has ZERO say in recovery necessities, JD.

*** Gloves-off time ***
ng [Linked Image from planetsmilies.net] jd

Your entire problem revolves around the fact that somewhere along the line you checked your testicles in a safe-deposit box, and she's holding the only key!

Let me ask you this: Is there ANY set of actions she would have to take for you to basically say "Sayonara"? Get out of your head the fallacy that you have to be married to this proven cheater. She knows you're too cowed by the idea of NOT being married to her to EVER take actions to end the marriage, regardless of what she might do.

Here's how to approach the "nights apart" situation. (You might want to practice in front of a mirror before going live in front of WW.)

"Sweetheart, the FIRST time you spend time away from me overnight, expect a divorce petition (the one I should already have hit you with) at your dinner plate when you eventually get back! More tea?"

Man up, amigo!

M
M
She says that I am using her past to "control" or "punish" her. She nearly threatened to leave over this issue, and so the question is how far do I push it? I did indicate that I was not pleased with her partial acceptance, but we have sort of stopped there....
How far do you push it? It's non-negotiable. The only person pushing is your WW. Stand up, yank up your pants, and tell her that this is how it's going to be.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
OP Offline
J
First, you guys are right about me being weak. frown It's just that I did not want to break up the marriage when it seemed we were moving forward.
In her defense, she has been open about everything else.

We talked about it again, and she made some good points.
*Over the past few years, the only overnights apart have been my trips to the U.S. to visit family (about a week or two), and her short trips (less than a week) with her mother to Hawaii and Taiwan. Among my non-Japanese friends, it is actually quite common for the U.S. spouse to visit family in the U.S. alone or with the older kids only because of the high cost of air travel and difficulty of traveling with small kids. The "no overnights apart" rule would no longer allow this.
*For the upcoming hula competition, she offered a compromise. If we are unable to save the money to go as a family, she said that she could ask her mother to attend.
*She said that it is not a case of her "not trying enough". She said that she will have to work hard to show her face again to my parents (who know about the affair), she promised complete openness, and never to lie to me again. It's only been about 10 days, but so far, it looks like she has kept that promise.

In a nutshell, I guess, how do I explain that "overnights" are no longer OK when they were OK before? By mentioning the affair, I am just "bringing up the past" and "not letting it go". I could say that the conditions allowing the affair were "secrecy" + "overnight", and just eliminating "secrecy" is not enough at prevention. Is my reasoning right?!?

B
B
Compromise is NOT POJA.

You need to both be enthusiastic about the HULA competition decision or she doesn't go.
POJA

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
N
JD's approach:

For the upcoming hula competition...If we are unable to save the money to go as a family, she said that she could ask her mother to attend.

NG's approach:

For the upcoming hula competition, if we are unable to go as a family, YOU AIN'T GOING! Given your documented inability to respect your vows, the last thing we need is you shaking your cooter in a grass skirt, just for POSOM to show up with a pair of hedge-clippers!

Wanna bet on which would be more effective?

J
OP Offline
J
For the upcoming hula competition, if we are unable to go as a family, YOU AIN'T GOING! Given your documented inability to respect your vows, the last thing we need is you shaking your cooter in a grass skirt, just for POSOM to show up with a pair of hedge-clippers!

Yes, but am I willing to risk creating a deep fissure on this issue? She could walk out the door....

M
M
"In a nutshell, I guess, how do I explain that "overnights" are no longer OK when they were OK before? By mentioning the affair, I am just "bringing up the past" and "not letting it go". I could say that the conditions allowing the affair were "secrecy" + "overnight", and just eliminating "secrecy" is not enough at prevention. Is my reasoning right?!?"

You explain that in affair proofing your marriage, overnight travel has been eliminated. Of course you mention the affair when it comes to establishing extraordinary precautions.

As far as the hula competition solution taking her mother is NOT a solution. The rule is never spend the night apart. If her hula competition is more important than your marriage then you have some serious problems.

Stop lowering the bar, JD. You aren't going to recover your marriage unless you get serious about this.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Yes, but am I willing to risk creating a deep fissure on this issue? She could walk out the door....

Are you serious? She thinks so little of your marriage that she would leave over a hula competition? Then she should go because you have nothing here to save. This is a lost cause.

Exposure 101

M
M
If my spouse thought so little of my marriage that he would leave over some stupid event, I would pack his bag. And that is exactly what you should be doing.

Exposure 101

B
B
Since you're having a difficult time learning from your own experience of your wife's affair.

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
Anything that takes one spouse away from the other overnight is an invitation for an affair.
From here
Coping with Infidelity:How Affairs should End

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

J
OP Offline
J

OVERNIGHT STAYS
It's frustrating to get stuck on this one point when we have made so much progress. More discussion on "overnight stays":
*She said that IF canceling this event would mean regaining my full trust, then she would do it, but she knows it won't.
*She said that she wanted the whole family to come from the start (true), but it was just the financial reasons that kept us away (true).
*She said that it is relatively close (2 hours by bullet train), and she thinks that it is definitely "doable".
*She will make no more overnight plans in the future, partly because she expects to become pregnant in the coming months... (see below)

MY ONLY LEVERAGE?
Because our youngest turns 2 years old this summer, we were thinking of making another baby from this spring. Despite having the affair at the beginning of last month (April), she still intended to start our baby-making activities as planned. Based on what she has told me, her last cycle ended at the beginning of April, and so there is NO WAY should could be having the OM's baby (she also said they had protection). I cut off all baby-making activities once I found out about the affair, but there is still a chance that she is pregnant (by me, if she told the truth, or by him if she lied about the cycle). I'll know for sure in about a week. (It sounds like the Jerry Springer show, I know! doh2 )
Nonetheless, I am seriously considering "withholding the seed" so to speak. No more baby-making until I am 100% sure that I can trust her. As everyone here knows, an affair not only destroys your trust with the WW, but all our future plans, dreams, and hopes with my WW all come crashing to the ground in an instant. Although she is in her mid-30s and our window of opportunity is rapidly closing, I feel strongly that I must make a stand here.
Still, it also pains me that her indiscretion could impact our family this way.

N
N
I cannot claim mind-reading powers. However, if the cynical NG's mind were to be transposed into a WW's body, here's how this might play out:

"Well, I've almost entirely gotten him afraid of firing the "D" gun for whatever damage I care to inflict on him and our marriage. One more child ought to seal the deal on his D-aversion permanently! (Of course, a pregnancy would probably impact my competitive hula-dancing, but sacrifices must be made.)"

M
M
In her defense, she has been open about everything else.
Uh-huh. And other than that pesky serial murder habit he was caught up in, Ted Bundy was a pretty nice guy. coolYou're not really going to comfort delude yourself with this, are you?? She has shown remorse only when it works to her benefit. A truly remorseful wayward would be agreeing to give up hula dancing entirely if that's what it took.
In a nutshell, I guess, how do I explain that "overnights" are no longer OK when they were OK before?
But they weren't okay before! You just didn't realize it! Now you know, friend. You are trying to recover a marriage that has been damaged by adultery - the status quo needs to be changed. This is one more consequence of her adultery. That's just how it is. The sooner she gets that, the easier your recovery will be.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 05/06/12 08:27 AM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
OVERNIGHT STAYS
It's frustrating to get stuck on this one point when we have made so much progress. More discussion on "overnight stays":
*She said that IF canceling this event would mean regaining my full trust, then she would do it, but she knows it won't.

Of course it won't regain your full trust. It will take much more than that. But if you are to stay in this marriage, there can be no more overnight travel apart. PERIOD!

Stop debating!

Exposure 101

M
M
No more baby-making until I am 100% sure that I can trust her. As everyone here knows, an affair not only destroys your trust with the WW, but all our future plans, dreams, and hopes with my WW all come crashing to the ground in an instant. Although she is in her mid-30s and our window of opportunity is rapidly closing, I feel strongly that I must make a stand here.
Still, it also pains me that her indiscretion could impact our family this way.

It will take 2 to 5 years for her to earn your trust, *IF* she behaves in a trustworthy manner, and her insistance on traveling does not garner trust. So babymaking is OFF the table. And *IF* you ever start recovery, that will take a couple of years. Since your wife won't agree to extraordinary precautions I doubt your marriage WILL recover, though.

This is off to a very bad start and I have my doubts. frown You are allowing a drunk driver [your wife] to drive the car out of the ditch. And guess what? Your marriage is still in the ditch! Here you are debating about the most basic precaution, overnight travel! That is AMAZING chutzpah! That is like allowing the rapist to make all the rules for recovery for his rape victim. crazy Seriously??

You are on the WRONG PATH, my friend, and if you don't get this back on track your marriage will not recover. You are at a critical fork in the road and if you don't take back the wheel, you are staying in the ditch. You need to MAN UP and take control of your marriage. You have to drive your marriage out of the ditch. Do you understand??

You need to line it out like this with her:

Originally Posted by Melodylane
Ask him/her to send a no contact letter to the OP that is written together, approved by you and mailed together. [template below from SAA]

Set her down and explain to her that you want to have a romantic, loving, SAFE marriage and that you won�t stay in a loveless marriage. Tell her you are willing to give her an opportunity to earn your forgiveness. In order for the marriage to recover, certain things have to happen. This is what it will take to keep you interested:

1. end all contact with the OM for life

2. no more nights apart or going out without each other - create a healthy, integrated lifestyle

3. complete transparency - cell phone passwords, etc

4. no more opposite sex friendships

5. complete honesty about her affair<s> � passing a polygraph

6. commit to the Marriage Builders program for recovery as outlined in the book Surviving an Affair.

Tell her "this is what it will take to keep me in this marriage." Whether your marriage ends up with success or failure will depend almost entirely on her willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become absolutely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. Unless she makes a 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife, your marriage won't recover, it will be a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this approach, because if she won't do these things, you will have lost nothing except a loveless, abusive marriage.

Unless you use this program to create a much better marriage than the one you had before the affair, you are likely looking at repeat affairs. So don't even think you can get away with sweeping the affair under the rug and going back to what you had before. What you had before led to the affair!

Exposure 101

I
I
What she is basically admitting, JD is that she isnt willing to take the very tiny first small step of staying home to even BEGIN to regain your trust.

She is flat-out admitting she won't even put on her hiking boots never mind climb the mountain of recovery. It will take a LOT of these tiny actions to reassure you - and she won't even do one!

She would much rather you suck up the pain and doubt and not ask for her to do any work to reassure you.

A wayward who is still wayward DEMANDS that you trust them, instead of doing the work to EARN trust.

They cant be bothered doing the work.
They cant be bothered being trustworthy

Its so much easier to demand it - or leave.

She's a renter in the relationship. A renter wont bother fixing up the relationship, because they aren't committed long term. Even when they did the damage. She will always have one foot out the door unless she is allowed to just what she pleases, without considering you.

If the idea of hula dancing pleases her, she wont consider your feelings on the matter.

And if the idea of another affair pleases her, she wont consider you either.

A refusal to POJA is relationship cancer.

She needs a 180 degree attitude change or to be put out of the way somehwere she cant hurt you.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

J
OP Offline
J

(Sigh) sigh I can see that all of you are right.
I continue to look for positive signs -- she agreed to everything else except "no overnights", she accepted "no overnights" in principle, she has become transparent, she freely contacts me whenever she goes out, etc.

Perhaps I am in denial. Although I have not given in on this point, it is shaping up to be a long battle indeed. frown
Like all of you are saying, it may just be a matter of time until things really break down.... cry
But I will keep trying. Does that just mean that I am still in Plan A? In her own way, she is also still trying....

Bringing this to a head will likely send her back to her mother's place. The reality is that I am not quite ready to send her out the door, but maybe, after a few more months of this, I might.
Hopefully, my next update will be more upbeat.
Thanks so far, everyone.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 465 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation