Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 48 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 47 48
K
K
What's the harm in letting him know if he shapes up, there's a way home?

In any case you need to let him know you won't have contact until then, and a Plan B letter is the best way to do so.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
H
H
RS, Listen to what is being posted you are getting really good advice. I know its hard, but as well as their experience they can look at the situation and see things clearly without the emotional investment you have. I know its hard reconciling the alien with your H, but until he comes out of the fog and is no longer wayward the man you know is gone.

Yes the OW is controlling, manipulating and fuelling his anger(same in my stich) but unfortunattely you cannot control this. Somehow you need to draw on your inner strength and let this go. Hopefully in time your WH will face reality and see her flaws. Until then focus your energies on yourself and your children. Protect you and your children, give yourself time to heal, help your children heal from the trauma, be happy and do something for yourself - maybe a bit of well deserved pampering.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
B
B
Originally Posted by rainysweet
So you would all still send a regular Plan B letter? Even though I'm also going into Plan D? You would still do the "I love you and will be willing to discuss reconciliation when you cut off all contact with OW and commit to our M" thing?

I agree with karma. Yes send the Plan b letter. If he ever removed his head from his you know what you want to give him a path home. Hence the Plan B letter.

You need Plan B sooner than later. Even if. It goes all the way to D.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
Okay. Thanks, everyone.

So, Black Raven, would you still IM for me? I couldn't see how that would work before, but after reading some other threads on here, I have a better idea. With WH's recent behavior, I'm reluctant to put my friend in the middle, although she is a tough lady and a mutual friend for years. Her husband is also a mutual friend and would help IM, I'm sure, although I didn't ask him. My WH always called her "the general" in a joking way (to her face, not behind her back, just like he thought it was funny). So he respects her, but still I hesitate to put her in the middle at this point.

If I had you do it, I'm not sure about even telling him it's an IM - he might go ballistic. What about the thought I've seen on here of setting up an email address just for him, telling him that's for our critical communication, and giving you the password? In fact, all the info so you can change the password and I can't even access it? Then you could screen his garbage, and only pass along what I really needed? (Wow, how fun would that be? Are you sure you're up for this?)

Or maybe it's better to be upfront and try the IM approach first and if he refuses, revert to Plan B of Plan B. I don't know though. The point is my peace of mind and sanity, not his. So whatever is the best route to that, which may be just not telling him about an IM.

Thoughts anyone? I'm just bouncing them around right now. Undecided on pretty much everything, except the certainty of Plan B (just undecided on best way to implement), and trying to get the PO.

And what about the kids? If he's doing the psycho demanding to see the kids thing, just ignore it? They don't want to see him and I'm not going to make them, even if I can't get a PO. Or do I have to deal with that with him?

Married: 22 years
Me: BW 41
Him: WH 43
Sons: 19, 17, 12
Daughter: 16
DD 8/09
EA started 8/08
PA started 7/09
Brief recovery of a few months in there.
Separated 10/10
Legal Separation 8/11
Plan B 5/17/12
Plan D 5/31/12

My Story
K
K
I do not think any judge worth his salt would object to your withholding the kids at this point.

You definitely need an IM but I don't think you should have the password to the email account. An IM is a spam filter. A good one will filter for you.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
H
H
RS I haven't read the threads referring to a separate email account, but I think it may refer to the IM seting up a separate email address for IM communication. The IM remains anonymous. My MB IM did this.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
R
OP Offline
R
You have a MB IM? Okay, that makes me feel better. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. So much less emotion. Thank you.

Married: 22 years
Me: BW 41
Him: WH 43
Sons: 19, 17, 12
Daughter: 16
DD 8/09
EA started 8/08
PA started 7/09
Brief recovery of a few months in there.
Separated 10/10
Legal Separation 8/11
Plan B 5/17/12
Plan D 5/31/12

My Story
B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Plan A success rate is that low? Is Plan B success rate any higher? If not, then how can we call this program successful?
rainysweet,

Marriage builders is not a marriage at all costs. Even if M aren't saved MB has saved people. In my eyes that's a success.

Where the plan is almost guaranteed by Dr. Harley is IF the program is worked exactly as he has laid it out with no deviations. Plus you must have two people completely committed.
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithfulspouseto completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship,using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
H
Yes my IM is a MBer and she is a real asset. I personally believe MB IMs are best, they know the principles and understand what we are going through.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I think Blackraven would be ideal. She has experience, is on board with MB and has been vouched for by other posters.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

C
C
So you would all still send a regular Plan B letter? Even though I'm also going into Plan D? You would still do the "I love you and will be willing to discuss reconciliation when you cut off all contact with OW and commit to our M" thing?
Rainy, given your recent VERY upsetting events, I would definitely recommend sending the standard Plan B leter (with the standard offer of marital recovery providing WH meets your conditions).

ESPECIALLY given you are entering Plan B after such events. WH and YOU are likely to be on a roller coaster at the moment. This leaves YOUR door open.

You may close it. WH may never knock. Who cares? Right now, it means that you have done all you can, and left your options open to what YOU may want in future, should your WH ever show remorse and MEET YOUR BAR.

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
H
H
I agree with Caracal and the other posters. It leaves your options open for the future, rather than reacting to an unpleasant situation. Going dark will give you the opporunity to heal and focus on yourself. Later down the track when your in a better place and able to make decisions not based on traumatic experiences, then you can decide the path you would like to take. You will also find that you will be strong enough to follow that path. You can still file for D to protect yourself and children, going dark will give you the clarity and strength to D if thats the path you choose.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12

M
M

rainy, the others are right. You have even more reason than before to go into Plan B. The Plan B letter should be just as we suggested. And yes, you should file for divorce! Send the letter as we suggested so you can keep your options open. The plan does not change just because your husband has an outburst.

I would strongly advise you to change your locks TODAY. When you go into Plan B, I predict your husband will do everything to get you to break Plan B, including coming into the house. Think through every possible breech of contact and make a plan to circumvent it. Tell your kids about your plan and tell them they are not to let their dad in the house or hand you the phone.

And I would most definitely tell him to send all contact through your IM. He will resist it at first, but when he sees you are serious [and you will have to seriously reject his attempts to get through!] he will go through the IM.

Its not a hard job being an IM if you do it right. And I believe Blackraven would do it right. She has been around here for a long time and does not get intimidated easily.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
So, Black Raven, would you still IM for me?

I will

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Rainy, can you post your latest Plan B letter again. In light the WH's meltdown, I would likely make some changes.

Even you can not get a Protective Order, at the very least you should still file a police report for documentation purposes. I do not think they can refuse having a police report made.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
A
A
The police will not document 'domestic' issues as a report without investigation. This is a common mistake that I often correct (as a police dispatcher). Domestic disputes (whether verbal or physical) are just too dangerous. People like to try and report things to the police "in case anything happens in the future" but such a report is not acceptable, at least anymore since domestic violence has been 'accepted' as a legitimate threat in relationships.

The police will be willing to speak with our OP and make a report but they will want to investigate the issue as well, there is no "for report purposes" only.

The other side to this is that people who are not in danger (particularly in custody disputes) will make these reports up to try and get their partner 'in trouble' and that is another reason investigations are done.

J
Administrator
Administrator
J
Black_Raven,

Please check your MB profile & update your email address. The current address indicates it's no longer a valid address.

JustUss

Administrator/Moderator
I
I

I did do it! I sent the most loving letter at a time when all I really wanted to do was hit him with a large stick.

I'm so glad I did it,

It keeps the doubts away that come on the long nights. In Plan B you wonder if he's changed and you get tempted to make contact. Knowing he has a way home reassures you. You'll know you did all you could. That makes divorce easier.

Plus he could still be in there underneath the newly arrived addict.

Remember that the addict wants you mad at him, so you give up and he gets to keep WHs body.

Rather than give up, just form firm boundaries and proceed with your plans to create a happy life for you and you alone - without any doubts should he choose not to repent.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
B
Rainysweet,

I want to reiterate what I've alread said. Send the Plan B letter. It's part of Plan B and gives your WH a path home if he ever chooses.

How did it go with the cops today?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
I got a police report. An officer was dispatched to my house. If talking to me and WH was considered an 'investigation', I guess that was enough.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

A
A
That *does* qualify as an investigation smile some people are under the impression that they can make reports to police without the other party at least beieng spoken to (ie. I don't want him to know that a report has been made about him). Just wanted to clarify

Page 11 of 48 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 522 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation