Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Prisca
Another thing to possibly consider: Move. If rent is taking up half your take home pay, you can't afford to live and work where you are.

Yes, we definitely realize this. But my H hasn't been able to find work anywhere else. He is constantly applying for jobs, but the job market is still really tough. There haven't been any offers yet. He is going back to school, earning his MBA online, so I'm hopeful that will change eventually. We are stuck in our current lease until next March, so not much we can do about it until then. There is a $2000 fee to break the lease. That also makes job searching more difficult. We basically have to hope H finds a job somewhere else near the end of our lease, or we will be forced to keep renewing it for a year at a time. Rent for our apartment would be $350 a month more than we're currently paying without a lease and there's just no way we can handle that.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
B
B
I don't know if you saw this in the archived section but it has some excellent low cost date ideas. I hope it helps.

Free/Low Cost Date Ideas

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks BrainHurts. I actually haven't seen that section before.

I noticed one of the suggestions on there is pack a lunch and have a picnic. This is one of my favorite things to do. My absolute favorite dates are when me and DH go to the canyon near our home, visit the bird sanctuary, have a picnic, and go for a hike. I really am a cheap date. I don't like all the fancy, expensive stuff.

T
T
Since both finances and childcare are an issue I am guessing you are looking for new ideas for UA time at home after your little one is in bed.

Maybe you could try a moonlight picnic in your backyard? If you live in an apartment maybe a nice candlelight dinner inside...or a candlelight bath together? You could spice up a card game with some strip poker! Another idea could be just to sit outside together at night enjoying the night, and stars, maybe with a glass of wine, just relaxing and chatting.

After your little on starts school this should offer more opportunities to swap babysitting with some of the other moms. Will your child be starting preschool in the fall? You may be able to get out more often very soon. Until then just be creative, it could be fun and very romantic! smile

B
B
Originally Posted by writer1
Thanks BrainHurts. I actually haven't seen that section before.

I noticed one of the suggestions on there is pack a lunch and have a picnic. This is one of my favorite things to do. My absolute favorite dates are when me and DH go to the canyon near our home, visit the bird sanctuary, have a picnic, and go for a hike. I really am a cheap date. I don't like all the fancy, expensive stuff.

Good. There were also ideas about games and such after the kids are in bed. It will just be DD3.5 at home with you two, correct?

So you can do fun stuff after she's in bed. Does she have a good set bedtime?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Good. There were also ideas about games and such after the kids are in bed. It will just be DD3.5 at home with you two, correct?

So you can do fun stuff after she's in bed. Does she have a good set bedtime?

Soon it will just be the 3 of us. One problem we've had is that right now, older DS is still living with us. We only have 2 bedrooms and he didn't want to sleep with his little sister, so he sleeps on a sofa bed in the living room. That has kind of limited our ability to have UA time after DD goes to bed, since we only have our small bedroom to ourselves. I suppose that's fine for SF, but not much else, and SF is a problem for reasons I've gone into elsewhere (as in, it really hasn't happened in over a year, and not much before that). DH has issues with ED. I'm hoping we can figure that out at some point.

DD 3 goes to bed kind of late now (between 9 and 10) but mostly that's because DS is generally coming home around that time and making noise, so it wakes her up if we put her to bed too early. I am planning on moving up her bedtime once it's just the 3 of us and we know we will have the evenings to ourselves without interruption. Often, right now, DS will call around 10 and my DH will have to go pick him up somewhere so he won't get another curfew violation (he's already gotten 3 and they are expensive). That will all be ending soon when he turns 18 on Sunday. It's going to be a huge relief not to have to be legally responsible for this kid anymore. He has been a nightmare, to say the least.

B
B
Ok so how long until DS moves out?

I would put DD to bed by 8 and so that gives you at least 2 hrs for UA time.

Has your DH got his T level checked? I know you asked before but did he ever get it checked?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Ok so how long until DS moves out?

I would put DD to bed by 8 and so that gives you at least 2 hrs for UA time.

Has your DH got his T level checked? I know you asked before but did he ever get it checked?

About a week until DS moves out (we'll see if he stays gone since he's just going to stay with a friend and doesn't have a job yet).

DH has had his T level checked. It was normal, but on the low end of normal. Doctor wants him to see an endocrinologist. I need to get on him to make that appointment. He was supposed to go months ago.

B
B
About a week until DS moves out (we'll see if he stays gone since he's just going to stay with a friend and doesn't have a job yet).

DH has had his T level checked. It was normal, but on the low end of normal. Doctor wants him to see an endocrinologist. I need to get on him to make that appointment. He was supposed to go months ago.

Yes get him to see the doctor to rule out anything else.

So can you get DD to bed by 8? If DS doesn't stay gone you can still have the time for UA?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W

So can you get DD to bed by 8? If DS doesn't stay gone you can still have the time for UA?

Yeah, I'm going to bring up the issue about the appointment again. He said he will go, but he just doesn't make the appointment. I'm not sure why he's still putting it off.

Yes, we can definitely get DD into bed earlier. I've already told DS that the only way he will be allowed to come back is if he is a) going to school full time (he didn't finish high school. He's years behind and simply refused to go anymore several months ago) or b) working full time and paying rent. He says he doesn't want to stay here, but since he has no job and no education, I have no idea what he plans to do once he gets tired of floating from one friend's couch to another.

B
B

Yeah, I'm going to bring up the issue about the appointment again. He said he will go, but he just doesn't make the appointment. I'm not sure why he's still putting it off.

Yes, we can definitely get DD into bed earlier. I've already told DS that the only way he will be allowed to come back is if he is a) going to school full time (he didn't finish high school. He's years behind and simply refused to go anymore several months ago) or b) working full time and paying rent. He says he doesn't want to stay here, but since he has no job and no education, I have no idea what he plans to do once he gets tired of floating from one friend's couch to another.

Let us know what DH says about not making the appointment. Will it fill an EN for him if you made the appointment and go with him?

I think living on DS's own will make him "live his own consequences" for choosing the path he has.

Friends will soon grow tired of someone mooching off of them.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

C
C
Writer, do you see any of your adult children?

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Let us know what DH says about not making the appointment. Will it fill an EN for him if you made the appointment and go with him?

I would be more than happy to go with him to the appointment. In fact, we even talked about him seeing my doctor. I already see an endo for thyroid issues. I'm going to talk to him again and see if we can call and make him an appointment next week.

B
B
Originally Posted by CWMI

Since you two posted at the same time I didn't know if you saw CWMI's question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by CWMI

Yes, my two oldest sons share an apartment about an hour and a half north of us. They work a lot, but I see them a couple times a month and talk/text in between. My DD lives and goes to school in Colorado, but she was here visiting in April. I talk/text with her often too and we're hoping to go see her this winter sometime, since she works at a ski resort. We visited her last summer too.

M
M
Writer, my first take when I saw your post, was that I wish you would write almost the exact same thing and send it to Dr. Harley on the radio show and hear his answer.

Marriage Builders is not a program that can't work when you have small children. But you have to get creative, and you have to be careful not to get into a mental state where you don't see or won't try solutions to your problems. You have to put the problem on the front burner and insist that it be solved, and until then insist that it be investigated and negotiated every day.

And also, it has to be you and your husband working together for a solution. Not just you. Where is he in all of this? What ideas does he have?

Please, consider sending your question in to Dr. Harley personally. He is the best person capable of explaining how his program works, and I can tell you from experience he does not think that it should wait until small children get older.

Okay, I dug up this old thread of mine because I was reading Opt's UA thread and I didn't want to interrupt that.

But this is still something I struggle with, even after all this time.

OC is 3 1/2 now. She will soon be our only child at home (youngest DS is turning 18 in a few days and will be moving out after lots of issues over the past several years). He has been baby sitting once a week for date night, but even getting him to do that has been a struggle and we still have to pay him.

So, our situation now is this:

1) No family to babysit. Nearest family is over an hour away and the only one remotely able/willing to babysit is my mom, and she will only do so occasionally as she is now on disability and cannot handle a 3-year-old for long periods of time.

2) Still very little money to hire a baby sitter. Our rent recently went up and we now spend almost half our take-home pay on rent for a 2-bedroom apartment (cheapest we could find in the area).

3) No friends/acquaintances in the area with small children we could swap baby sitting with. In fact, I really don't know anyone here at all.

This thread veered off to how I could earn more money. But what I would really like to focus on is how people with young children (under 5) who are not in school yet manage to get the required 15-20 hours of UA time in every week. I can see how it would be possible with lots of family support, or enough money to hire a full time nanny, but what about those who do not have those luxuries?

To me, it just seems impossible to even imagine finding someone to watch our 3-year-old 4 times a week for 4 hours at a time. One of the reasons I stopped posting here almost a year ago was because I was really getting the impression that MB just isn't for people with young children who don't have tons of money or family support for the program. I don't know if that's the impression Dr. Harley wants to give, but it's definitely the impression I got here on the forum.

I would love to hear from people with young children who have successfully worked the MB program while their children were young.

Do you go out on the recommended 4 dates a week? If so, how do you accomplish this? Who provides the daycare for your children while you are on dates? How have you managed to pay for this? If family members provide care for your children while you are on dates, how did you get them onboard with MB?

Most of the people I have told about the program and attempted to get support from in this matter simply think I'm crazy and that I have entirely unrealistic expectations, which has been very frustrating.

For now, I have basically put MB on hold and accepted the fact that it might not be something I am capable of doing until our DD is older. But I'd love to be wrong about that.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks Markos, I have been considering doing that. I guess I'm just not sure how much of a history I should include if I do so. I've been here for awhile and my story is rather long and confused. A letter with all of the background info might get a little long.

I would love to do the online program, but unfortunately, it's never been possible for us financially.

W
writer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by markos
And also, it has to be you and your husband working together for a solution. Not just you. Where is he in all of this? What ideas does he have?

I just realized I didn't answer this, and then I realized I really don't know how to answer it, because I really don't know. We talk about MB a lot. He's familiar with most of the concepts. He's done a little reading here, but I imagine most of what he is familiar with has come through me. I don't really know how he feels about it. It's difficult for me to get a sense of how he really feels about anything.

K
K
Personally I don't think all of history (betrayal; OC) is relevant to the current issue you are facing.

The current issue is about finances and relationship apathy that, it seems, really do operate independently of your pasts.

I think something like your opening post, pared down and giving very specific info about your logistical challenges is sufficient.

M
M
Writer, I agree with kerala; just take your original post and edit it a bit and send it in. Boil it down to your question: "For now, I have basically put MB on hold and accepted the fact that it might not be something I am capable of doing until our DD is older. But I'd love to be wrong about that."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation