Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 25 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 24 25
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by fifteenyears
BV,

This action is very similar to what took place with my H and myself only a few short months ago. At first I felt the same way you did, used. You can not however look at it like that at all. He is giving you a huge part of himself by allowing you to be part of his SF and possibly one of his top ENs.

This is such a HUGE deal! Just look at where you were a month ago and where you are now. Try to let your giver take control vs. Your taker. I know it is hard and I still struggle with it. But this is such a huge step for both you and your H.
Embrace it, look at the positives in it and continue to go with it.

This is his way of letting you back in, one little step at a time. The whole being used thing really sounds silly when you think of what you allowed yourself to do to get yourself into the situation your in now. I know that sounds harsh but remember I am a wayward too and whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I .remind myself of what I did to get myself in this situation.

Thank you fifeteen years. Thats very encouraging.

I'm going to start re-reading SAA again tonight. Just finished reading "How to help your spouse heal from your affair" by Linda J MacDonald too which is very good.

Me: WW, 33
My BS: 30
Married: 11 years
1 x Child: Daughter, 3 years
D-Day: 10/8/2011
Fighting to save my marriage.
H
H
Originally Posted by BlackViolet
Thanks everyone.

You have given me a better perspective on the situation. And you are all right... again!

I do very much want to meet his EN... yes, it's possibly the lowest one on my list and the highest one on his, so it's always been a struggle, but I will do EVERYTHING i can do save this.

I can't particularly remember which article it is in, but an interesting observation Dr. Harley has made is that when SF becomes mutually enjoyable, a woman's desire (strength/frequency) will go UP, while a man's will go DOWN. Living it, I can testify to this.

There were some watershed moments while turning it around. I can tell you that SF is NOT easy as a BH. Obviously, if it... er.... ain't working... we can't really fake it. Let me tell you, betrayal does wonders for longevity that baseball stats could never accomplish. But it isn't in a pleasant manner.

The truth is that despite all the social mythology on men and sex, we DO require vulnerability to even participate, it's simply physiological. It's also why early in recovery a session of SF can often be followed by some tough times. You are both literally and emotionally "laid bare."

And remember, when you are having SF, you aren't just meeting an EN, you are meeting an intimate EN. One of the core goals of the program.

You are not just "giving yourself to him," but you are also accepting him into you.

Repeat that to yourself;

"I am accepting him into myself."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
S
Thank you for you insight. Really appreciate it. As far as i know he hasn't been with anyone else. No confirmation on that but i don't believe he has. And i think part of him doesn't want to do that... maybe realises that it would be an affair... He actually said he misses SF so much but didn't want to be with anyone else.

agree w/ both 15y and HHH. he has held out for his wife. that's awesome. that says volumes about your husband. i have a good feeling about your situation BV. there is hope. this is a first step. Your BH is reaching out to you in one of the important ways a husband can to his wife. dont think of it as anything but that. he is not some random guy you met in a bar. he is the father of your daughter. he is the man you love. i'm envious in every way bc i am at the opposite end w/ my WW. this is your chance to reconnect. i root for you and all other aspiring FWW's bc i wish my WW couldve been the same and will never be. she does not have your strength, fortitude and sense of remorse.

i especially like HHH's: "I am accepting him into myself." wow. that epitomizes the intimacy you have an opportunity to share with your husband. he will be feeling especially vulnerable afterwards as well. he will be asking himself how does he compare to OM. that cannot be helped. your W, your suppposed life partner cheating on you with someone else opens up a whole can of worms. it engenders the ultimate insecurity that one can experience as a man. you really do ask yourself, am i good enough? was he better than me? it is a huge blow to one's ego. your mojo is in question. he will be doubting himself and doubting you. be ready. do not be suprised by him either getting quite emotional or even angry. do not react. just be present. hold him in your arms. and do not be afraid to show your emotions either. this is where your love for your husband will need to shine thru. once the SF is complete it will hit you. you WILL find yourself welling up with emotion as well BV. this "re-connection" with him is what you have been working towards all along. good luck BV.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by savemymarr
Thank you for you insight. Really appreciate it. As far as i know he hasn't been with anyone else. No confirmation on that but i don't believe he has. And i think part of him doesn't want to do that... maybe realises that it would be an affair... He actually said he misses SF so much but didn't want to be with anyone else.

agree w/ both 15y and HHH. he has held out for his wife. that's awesome. that says volumes about your husband. i have a good feeling about your situation BV. there is hope. this is a first step. Your BH is reaching out to you in one of the important ways a husband can to his wife. dont think of it as anything but that. he is not some random guy you met in a bar. he is the father of your daughter. he is the man you love. i'm envious in every way bc i am at the opposite end w/ my WW. this is your chance to reconnect. i root for you and all other aspiring FWW's bc i wish my WW couldve been the same and will never be. she does not have your strength, fortitude and sense of remorse.

i especially like HHH's: "I am accepting him into myself." wow. that epitomizes the intimacy you have an opportunity to share with your husband. he will be feeling especially vulnerable afterwards as well. he will be asking himself how does he compare to OM. that cannot be helped. your W, your suppposed life partner cheating on you with someone else opens up a whole can of worms. it engenders the ultimate insecurity that one can experience as a man. you really do ask yourself, am i good enough? was he better than me? it is a huge blow to one's ego. your mojo is in question. he will be doubting himself and doubting you. be ready. do not be suprised by him either getting quite emotional or even angry. do not react. just be present. hold him in your arms. and do not be afraid to show your emotions either. this is where your love for your husband will need to shine thru. once the SF is complete it will hit you. you WILL find yourself welling up with emotion as well BV. this "re-connection" with him is what you have been working towards all along. good luck BV.

Cheers, SMM

And yes, I did get emotional... it only took the first hug! I really had to hold back so it wouldn't take over the moment/s.

I know he may go through a period of questioning and reluctance now. Have invited him for dinner tonight but he's not committed yet.

But i'm feeling very positive and praising God for what he is doing.

W
W
Two points, BV, from my perspective:

1. In Plan A, you must control your expectations. I struggled with this - still do, to be honest. You fill your BH's ENs without any expectation in return. It's easy to say that you don't have expectations, but difficult to practice. Simplest way for me to put it is...just...don't get your hopes up (HHH would tell me not to "Tommy Boy" my biscuit smile ). SF is not necessarily any kind of magic bullet (for my H, at least, SF was not a way back "in", it was just...sex)...but it *IS* an opportunity for you to meet your BH's needs and make deposits in his LB$, if he is willing to accept them.

2. That said, be honest with your BH. If the SF continues, and you consistently are feeling used, be honest with him about your feelings. Dr. H said on my thread that SF should be mutually enjoyable - it should not be withdrawing love units.

I make both of these points because they were extremely difficult for me to put into practice during my attempts at Plan A-ing my BH. I struggled particularly with being honest about having SF with H, b/c I was trying to maximize the opportunity to make any deposits in his LB$ (particularly by meeting the only intimate EN he allowed me to meet).

I can't speak from a place of success, b/c my Plan A efforts had little effect, but I can at least point to where I was weakest and where I could have done better.

Another poster here (DNM) gave me the analogy of chucking buckets of sand into a lake. You're on one side of the lake, your BH is on the other. Eventually, you'll have chucked enough sand to where it'll have reached the surface...eventually enough to create an island...eventually, enough to build a bridge to each other (which will happen quicker if he responds and begins chucking buckets of sand into YOUR LB$ lake!). Each time you meet a need, you're chucking a bit of sand into that lake. Think of lovebusters as the erosion of your island/bridge - so along with getting that sand out there, you've got to protect what builds up. The more of your BH's ENs you identify and try to meet, the more sand that gets into the lake.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
M
WPG, I don't always comment on your posts, but I do read them. I just wanted to jump in here to thank you for your commitment in encouraging and helping WW's, and your posts in general. Keep up the good work smile Sorry for the t/j, BV.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 06/05/12 06:23 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
OP Offline
B
Ok so i know he (finally) got my last letter yesterday. Included the NC letter to OM, list of EP's and all my passwords. NERVOUS nelly right now.

I'm a bit nervous that bringing it all up after the SF on the weekend might be kinda a turn off.

N
N
Wrong mindset......
Ok so i know he (finally) got my last letter yesterday

Right mindset......
Ok so i know he got my most recent letter yesterday, and I'm today mailing him another telling him how glorious was the opportunity to spend time as a family, and alone with him, this weekend.

A top saleswoman keeps selling the offer until the deal is closed, BV.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks NG.

Have invited him for dinner again saturday night. I did let him know how wonderful it was... but can see how important it will be to keep doing this. There's no room for complacency here!

M
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Wrong mindset......

Right mindset......
Ok so i know he got my most recent letter yesterday, and I'm today mailing him another telling him how glorious was the opportunity to spend time as a family, and alone with him, this weekend.

Nice, NG.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
B
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Wrong mindset......

Right mindset......

Nice, NG.

I'm trying to find the radio clip where Dr. Harley said this very thing.

"Need to be a good salesman"

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
oooh that'd be interesting.

I'm trying to understand how the WS does the 'plan A' thing. All the explanations on here seem to be from the persepective of the BS doing the plan.

Besides from the SF on sat night i still feel like i'm doing this on my own...

H
H
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
I can't speak from a place of success

Objection!

Your marriage may not have succeeded in recovering... but YOU, sister, are a one-in-a-million success story.

I ain't gonna take this from you!

You get it, and your BH chose not to recover.

That was his choice.

BV,

This is the illustration of going "Tommy Boy" on your marriage;

The idea is that you let your expectations go overboard, and explode... setting back your efforts.

Patience is key when dealing with we betrayed. We can't buy into your enthusiasm, and are protective from believing/trusting/loving the WS.

Slow, steady, and patient.

OK?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
B
OP Offline
B
Ok, thanks.

Crazy clip!!! smile

I
I
I'm trying to understand how the WS does the 'plan A' thing. All the explanations on here seem to be from the persepective of the BS doing the plan.

Hmmm. Its not Plan A, because Plan A is deceptive (waywards cant be trusted with true time scales and snooping methods etc) and it designed for doer to ignore the wayward spouse a lot (they're crazy) and also inflict 'stick' alongside the carrot (exposure, standing up for onesself)

Basically what a repentant wayward does is not a true Plan A, but uses the carrot of Plan A, removes the stick (unless an RA is on the cards). Obviously they also have to be radically honest, so no deception as in Plan A.

While a BS in Plan A can insist on the WS 'doing the right thing' and insisting on efforts to try to save the marriage (or else theyre gone), the WS has to be a lot more freeing, and zen, leaving the choice entirely to the BS and appreciating their pain is a barrier. They also promise not to go anywhere even when it gets tough - to demonstrate sincerity

It's not for the faint hearted. But as DR H says - wild horses wont drag away a truly repentant wayward.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by indiegirl

Hmmm. Its not Plan A, because Plan A is deceptive (waywards cant be trusted with true time scales and snooping methods etc) and it designed for doer to ignore the wayward spouse a lot (they're crazy) and also inflict 'stick' alongside the carrot (exposure, standing up for onesself)

Basically what a repentant wayward does is not a true Plan A, but uses the carrot of Plan A, removes the stick (unless an RA is on the cards). Obviously they also have to be radically honest, so no deception as in Plan A.

While a BS in Plan A can insist on the WS 'doing the right thing' and insisting on efforts to try to save the marriage (or else theyre gone), the WS has to be a lot more freeing, and zen, leaving the choice entirely to the BS and appreciating their pain is a barrier. They also promise not to go anywhere even when it gets tough - to demonstrate sincerity

It's not for the faint hearted. But as DR H says - wild horses wont drag away a truly repentant wayward.

Thanks IndieGirl

I'll read back through the carrot of Plan A.

I don't think a RA is happening... but i can't rule it out because of this contact with certian other single women.

There's one thing i haven't done yet - the only thing - delete my FB a/c... and it's my way of keeping tabs on what might be happening between him and this/these OW. Just yesteterday he 'friended' a new W... don't know her, can't see how he knows her... and it's driving me crazy. But that coupled with his saying two months ago that he was ready to date makes me very nervous.

I know what you guys will say - delete the a/c. But he now has my password for it so can access whenever he wants. I have also listed as one of my EP's that if we were to reconcile i'd have a joint FB a/c. In fact, i would now insist on it. Even though i shouldn't be the one calling the shots ... i just think that's the only way to go. Bl**dy internet is just too dangerous.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks.

i need to brush up on love busters this weekend i think.

B
B
Thanks.

i need to brush up on love busters this weekend i think.

Do you have the book?

Which ones are you guilty of, so we may help you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
L
hi bv. i see we're in the same country, and that you had a question about the post-nup. you can't get one here. well, you can get a lawyer to *write* one (maybe), but it will not mean anything at all in court. the law here does not accept them, because it's no-fault, 50/50 regardless of circumstances/intent/agreement. i got this straight from the horse's mouth (my own lawyer, whom i trust).

i wish you good luck with your BH.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
Page 13 of 25 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation