Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
S
S
You're welcome for the post. Just want to ensure that you are kept aware, that is all.

I am glad that things are going well between you and NG. smile

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
O
OP Offline
O
I wrote a letter to the radio show and just thought I would share Dr. Harley's response. My original email is below although the points he makes don't require reading the letter necessarily.
He didn't really answer all my questions but we were somewhat encouraged by that as it seems like he wasn't too alarmed by anything I wrote about what's going on.
I believe Joyce tried to call me a couple of times, but I was unable to answer and there was no message. I don't know if we would have much to offer the show, but it would certainly be nice to speak to her and express our appreciation.
~opt

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Hi (optimism),

The biggest problem that spouses have in blended families is conflicts over how to treat the children. The POJA should be followed, but there are situations where one spouse will feel that something should be done with the other spouse�s child or with their own child, and when an agreement is not reached they make a unilateral decision. I would suggest that you create various situations, some that you�ve already witnessed and others that you might have in the future, and discuss remedies that you can agree on enthusiastically. How old are your children, and how often do you have custody of them?

Dr. Harley

Originally Posted by optimism - original message
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:23:51 -0500
To: <mbradio@marriagebuilders.com>
Subject: We Love Your Show!!!

Dear Joyce and Dr. Harley,

My girlfriend and I have been dating for over a year. We are very interested in MB concepts and have both read several books including LoveBusters, His Needs Her Needs, and Falling in Love Staying in Love.

I just ordered "I Promise You" and "HNHN for Parents," because I understand there is a chapter in there about blending families.

We are both divorced. Her husband was an alcoholic and mine was cheating. I also have infidelity in my past and Marriage Builders has become a way of life for me in recovering from all that and raising my kids -sans- LB's like AO's, Dishonesty, and DJ's (thanks Lovebusters for teaching me the destructiveness of these habits to people around me).

I was so happy when (NatureGirl), my GF, expressed an interest in Marriage Builders. She has become a huge fan and we talk about the concepts all the time. We both listen to the show on our phones during the day then talk about various subjects in the evenings we're together. She's incredible and I adore her. She's attractive, sensitive and sweet and very considerate. I kept thinking it was too good to be true, but even a year later I'm more in love with her every day and we grow closer with each conversation.

We are confused sometimes at which concepts we should apply to our dating life, in anticipation of becoming engaged and possibly marrying in the next year or so. Obviously, the idea of not having overnights alone is not possible and we will not live together. We use POJA a lot, but there are also times with my kids when I feel I need to make them the priority (since we're not married yet and the divorce is still relatively new to them - 16 months).

Her kids are 22 and 20; part of the picture, but often doing their own thing.

Also, we are wondering about UA and RC. We tend to spend a lot of time together every week. However, we are both busy with various pursuits that many would not consider "recreational." We wind up doing things around the house (like fixing the oven), laundry, and grocery shopping. Part of the problem is that we are pretty busy with our jobs and when I have my kids, it's not really UA. So the question is really how adherent we should be about applying these concepts to our dating life.

We are interested in doing some workbook activities. Which questionnaires or other material would you suggest at this stage in our relationship?

~opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
Things have been continuing to go really well with NG. We have been doing more POJAing with respects to the kids (hers AND mine) and have really been patient with the relationships that are developing. My son is coming along. There was a heart-to-heart with him, me, and NG last week and he has been much more open. He seems to be much more trusting after hearing her speak and seeing her really listen to him, something she does very well. She tries to be as available as she can -- goes to all of his baseball games, even in my absense a couple of times.

I have been throwing around the concept of marriage with NG for a couple of months to get a feel for how the kids feel about this. D10 is quite positive. S16 kindof looks at is inevitable and is accepting. They have both expressed concerns for the kinds of changes that will take place as a result -- mostly the decreased amount of time they may have with just me.

I continue to be amazed at how well we communicate and how nice it is to have someone with me who has accepted the MB concepts. NG is attractive, funny, and so sweet and nice, I just never knew someone could be so kind-hearted. We share just about everything. She could even read this and I've offered any passwords.

She knows about OC/DD10. That was difficult. She has asked that I further limit my interactions with exWW; which I have. There was little interaction anyway. I was happy to give her the gift of refraining from something that made her uncomfortable (a luxury never afforded me by my exww).

I asked her Dad for her hand -- he's 80. It was very sweet. He said "yes". My folks were just out recently. They love her and have given their blessing.

The engagement will probably be 6 months. Some time after the 2 year anniversary of the D being final. I know the time-line seems quick when I look at it like that. I know there are lingering feelings of discontent with the fact that my marriage was blown up. I never wanted to be divorced and I still ache for my kids not having 2 parents who love each other. I still have some disgust, and maybe some resentment at the other men for burroughing their way into my marriage. But I believe that there's a way to turn something very bad into something very good.

I have a ring. I'm waiting for the right moment.

opt

Last edited by optimism; 05/25/12 06:22 PM. Reason: change title

Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Another EA Story
B
B
Opt,

Love hearing the awesome update. Have you ever thought about Plan B your XWW? To have an IM and so you don't have to communicate at all? I'm sure NG would appreciate it tons.

How are things with her EX?

I'm sure you've heard Dr. Harley on blended families? I've learned so much on blended families and it's made our blended family so much better.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
K
I bet you rose a LOT in the eyes of NG's dad by asking his permission. It's going to be a great thing in his golden years to have some young man ask something like that. smile

And yes...42 is young.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by karmasrose
I bet you rose a LOT in the eyes of NG's dad by asking his permission. It's going to be a great thing in his golden years to have some young man ask something like that. smile

And yes...42 is young.

thanks KR
Much like me, she did a lot of things "wrong" the first time around. We were both married due to pregnancies (my wife lost our first after the wedding). No real engagement period. And she never got an engagement ring (or wedding ring for that matter I think). Her now-ex most certainly didn't go through any formalities.
So we are both looking forward to a more structured and controlled approach this time.

opt

opt

Another EA Story
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Opt,

Love hearing the awesome update. Have you ever thought about Plan B your XWW? To have an IM and so you don't have to communicate at all? I'm sure NG would appreciate it tons.

I'm sure you've heard Dr. Harley on blended families? I've learned so much on blended families and it's made our blended family so much better.

Brainy, I have though many times about Plan B but never pulled the trigger on it.

The big change in the last month or so is that I now sit and wait in the car for the kids to come out when I pick them up. It used to be I'd go in and be casual -- if exww was there it would be short small talk and if she wasn't around it was all well and good. Now, in response to NG's request I don't go in at all. And it's been really good. I can feel a certain pressure lifting because of the decrease in encounters; can't explain it at all because I never thought that there was any consistent discomfort.

Now it's been so long since the separation. Also, I'm so intent on not having ANY personal conversations (or sharing anything personal) that I'm not sure what I would say in a Plan B letter.

I am also not sure I could do a full-out Plan B with an intermediary. I honestly think it could affect my relationship with my kids and the ease with which exchages are happening. Having to shield my eyes in case exww happens to be walking the dog when I drop off the kids is really not the extreme I want to go to. Sometimes the kids forget their phones or the cahrge goes out so they wind up calling me on exww's phone. If I call back, sometimes she answers. Avoiding all that with a true Plan B would be, in my estimation, simply inconvenient.

My kids are aware that we are not friends, that there is no relationship there, and that we are simply parents of the same kids. Things are pretty low-key right now and I feel like I'm on the right track.

HOWEVER, I still would like to continue to limit my interactions with exww. Would you suggest a Plan B letter for that? And what would be the general content if I didn't want to get into anything personal? All I can think of is "Dear exww, seeing you and interacting with you brings up too much of the pain of the past and ...." See-- I'm already into the emotional aspect of this thing.
Do you see my conundrum? Can you offer any guidance?

opt

To your questions Brain, She has all but cut off communication with her ex. He still tries to get in contact with the kids, but she understands it has nothing to do with her anymore; they are big enough to deal with him themselves.
Also, yes I have spent much time analysing Dr. Harley's teachings on Blended Families. So has NG, and it's why I feel we're trying to be attentive to the MB principles[ we know the odds are not in our favor without strong tools.

Another EA Story
B
B
Originally Posted by optimism
Opt,

Brainy, I have though many times about Plan B but never pulled the trigger on it.

The big change in the last month or so is that I now sit and wait in the car for the kids to come out when I pick them up. It used to be I'd go in and be casual -- if exww was there it would be short small talk and if she wasn't around it was all well and good. Now, in response to NG's request I don't go in at all. And it's been really good. I can feel a certain pressure lifting because of the decrease in encounters; can't explain it at all because I never thought that there was any consistent discomfort.

Now it's been so long since the separation. Also, I'm so intent on not having ANY personal conversations (or sharing anything personal) that I'm not sure what I would say in a Plan B letter.

I am also not sure I could do a full-out Plan B with an intermediary. I honestly think it could affect my relationship with my kids and the ease with which exchages are happening. Having to shield my eyes in case exww happens to be walking the dog when I drop off the kids is really not the extreme I want to go to. Sometimes the kids forget their phones or the cahrge goes out so they wind up calling me on exww's phone. If I call back, sometimes she answers. Avoiding all that with a true Plan B would be, in my estimation, simply inconvenient.

My kids are aware that we are not friends, that there is no relationship there, and that we are simply parents of the same kids. Things are pretty low-key right now and I feel like I'm on the right track.

HOWEVER, I still would like to continue to limit my interactions with exww. Would you suggest a Plan B letter for that? And what would be the general content if I didn't want to get into anything personal? All I can think of is "Dear exww, seeing you and interacting with you brings up too much of the pain of the past and ...." See-- I'm already into the emotional aspect of this thing.
Do you see my conundrum? Can you offer any guidance?

opt

To your questions Brain, She has all but cut off communication with her ex. He still tries to get in contact with the kids, but she understands it has nothing to do with her anymore; they are big enough to deal with him themselves.
Also, yes I have spent much time analysing Dr. Harley's teachings on Blended Families. So has NG, and it's why I feel we're trying to be attentive to the MB principles[ we know the odds are not in our favor without strong tools.

I wouldn't do a full Plan B letter more of a I would like to only communicate through an IM about issues with kids.

I totally understand where NG is coming from. I plan B my XWH and my now WH still doesn't do a full Plan B with his X but the contact is less.

We have no dramma on my side but on my WH's side there will be drama when he starts getting sloppy with communication.

My XWH and I do parallel parenting and it's been awesome. I can't even think of the last time we've had any kind of contact. I don't even have a phone number for him. Granted my youngest is DD15 and so she has her own phone but we've been doing this for years. When he does come by the house to pick her up he stays out in the car and I stay in the house. I haven't seen him in probably over a year. I can't remember the last time.

I know with blended families the best medicine for everyone involved is the NC between parents. We've even had to deal with graduations and had no problems.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
K
Congratulations, Opt! I wish you the best.

My kids' dad and I run into each other around town once every few months (small town) and don't have a problem with it but we didn't go through all the stuff you did either. His wife is horrid to me though and I'd love to not EVER have contact with her but our son is getting married in June so it's unavoidable, I avoid encounters as much as possible.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
S
S
Opt,

Great to hear an update from you and congratulations!

You and I continue to live parallel lives. Things are going very well on my end with Preacher Girl and we have been ring shopping!

Now I just have to make the purchase and come up with a romantic way of presenting it to her. This should all happen in then next few weeks...Stay tuned.

B
B
Originally Posted by schtoop
Opt,

You and I continue to live parallel lives. Things are going very well on my end with Preacher Girl and we have been ring shopping!
Now I just have to make the purchase and come up with a romantic way of presenting it to her. This should all happen in then next few weeks...Stay tuned.

Congrats schtoop hurray

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by schtoop
Opt,

Congrats schtoop hurray

Schtooooooop!!!!
Congrats! I'm glad things are going well for you and PG and the kids. They must be getting big! I'd be curious to have the details, but I understand how busy things get and time on the boards gets limited.

On Sunday I popped the question. During a bike ride we were sitting on a rocky hill overlooking the ocean. The view was from where she grew up and I could see the town in which I now live (and the kids were there). Everything seemed right, so out came the ring.

I'm looking to enjoy the next phase of our relationship for a few months (at least 6, as we've discussed). So far it's been great. Everyone is so happy for us and some have even said they knew we would be married the first time they ever saw us together. I don't know if it's just the newness of it, but there is something different when I look at NG and see the person who has promised to spend the rest of her life with me. It's quite special. I can only imagine how it will be to have the actual marriage.

@BH and anyone new to this thread:
You folks really have no idea how uncanny Schtoop's and my stories have run along side one-another. Just about every milesone (good, bad, or ugly) he and I experienced since the beginning when we discovered our wives were cheating have been within a few weeks of each other. No planning or anything, just pure coincidence; it's bizarre. For the last 3 years we could have written a lot of each other's posts, and we've never even met.

schtoop I had chills for about 5 minutes when I heard you were getting ready to propose. good luck -- you'll do awesome!

opt

S
S
On Sunday I popped the question. During a bike ride we were sitting on a rocky hill overlooking the ocean. The view was from where she grew up and I could see the town in which I now live (and the kids were there). Everything seemed right, so out came the ring.

I'm looking to enjoy the next phase of our relationship for a few months (at least 6, as we've discussed). So far it's been great. Everyone is so happy for us and some have even said they knew we would be married the first time they ever saw us together. I don't know if it's just the newness of it, but there is something different when I look at NG and see the person who has promised to spend the rest of her life with me. It's quite special. I can only imagine how it will be to have the actual marriage.

opt

Congrats Opt! I am so happy for you.

B
B
Originally Posted by Brainhurts
Congrats schtoop hurray

@BH and anyone new to this thread:
You folks really have no idea how uncanny Schtoop's and my stories have run along side one-another. Just about every milesone (good, bad, or ugly) he and I experienced since the beginning when we discovered our wives were cheating have been within a few weeks of each other. No planning or anything, just pure coincidence; it's bizarre. For the last 3 years we could have written a lot of each other's posts, and we've never even met.
opt
Wow opt congratulation on the engagement. hurray

What a parallel brotherhood for you and schtoop. Too bad it had to be like an affair that had to bring you together but non the less brothers. I remember following both of your stories.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Brainy and SW.
Hopefully things will continue to go well.
I'm reading B,R, &F's and seeing that Dr. H doesn't recommend certain things in dating relationships, or even during engagement (like full out POJAing). Sometimes I wonder if we are putting too much strain on our relationship too early.
But then I think about how this isn't the normal mid 20's/no kids type of getting ready to marry type of situation and feel that the true tests must be passed ahead of time.

I might write the show.

opt

Another EA Story
B
B
Write the show. Let us know when he answers so we can hear.

I heard Dr. Harley say the best preparation for marriage is POJA. If you can do that successfully then you're on a good path.

Have you heard these?
Radio clip on engagement
Radio clip on engagement

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to MBRadio:
Dear Dr. Harley and Joyce,
I am engaged to a lovely woman. We have dated about 18 months. She has two older kids (20, and 22) and I have 2 younger (10 and 16). My marriage ended due to my ex's infidelity (in spite of my best MB attempts to save the mariage) and the divorce was final 21 months ago. Hers ended 10 years ago and she has raised her kids alone and without child support from an alcoholic ex.

We understand the barriers and the negative statistics on blended families and second marriages. Fortunately for me she has enthusiastically embraced MB concepts - I have been a strong student for several years now since discovering MB.com in 2009. We adhere as best we can to POJA, and strive to get 15-20 hours of UA each week in spite of busy schedules, my custody arrangement (50%), and her aging parents who she assists at times.

I'm reading Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders, and read that some concepts are not for dating /engagement relationships - for instance the "buyer's" mentality which my fiance definitely has at this stage and from early on. Sometimes I wonder if we are trying too hard to adhere stictly to MB concepts at this stage in our relationship. For instance I have abandoned my love of playing pool because it's not something we both enjoy (I don't mind at all, we also have many things we do together that we enjoy- gardening, bike riding). My fiance has not done any kayaking since I met her and I know she loved it.

Are there any negative ramifications to doing MB too fervently too early in a relationship, or prior to marriage? Is there a strain level which is setting us up for problems once we get married and start living together.
(optimsm)

I'll post if I hear anything back.
opt

B
B
Thanks opt for sharing. I can't wait to hear what Dr. Harley has to say. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

O
OP Offline
O
Oh, Brainy...I forgot to thank you for the links. They were very helpful.
I have a feeling he's just going to emphasize POJA, but who knows, maybe other things will come up in the course of discussion.

opt

B
B
Oh, Brainy...I forgot to thank you for the links. They were very helpful.
I have a feeling he's just going to emphasize POJA, but who knows, maybe other things will come up in the course of discussion.

opt

You're very welcome.

I think so too, because I listen all the time and he always stresses POJA. It will be interesting his take on the "take MB too reverently too soon".

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation