Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 62 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 61 62
M
M
Originally Posted by Anointed
Can someone make a selfish demand without saying it verbally?

I may be DJing here, so I'd appreciate some input.

There were 2 things my DH wanted done today, and he mentioned them to me. Trim the bushes and vaccuum up the little spiders in the corners of the livingroom.

He mentioned them, and I didn't say yes exactly because I have my own list of to do's for today.

If he continues to mention them instead of just taking care of them himself, is it a demand?

I said, "How about I say no to the spiders outright because now I'm just annoyed by it."

He said fine. But later on I said you still love me right? He said yes, but "I'd love you more if you'd vaccuum the spiders."

Why did this annoy me so much? I did vaccuum the spiders (it's not like it was hard), and he already trimmed the bushes.

I'm just annoyed with him today because I have so much to do, and it feels like his stuff is priority. I think he feels that since I'm home all day with the kids that maybe I should have all my stuff done anyway and since he only has the weekend to get his stuff done that he needs to do that.

I'll ask him.

Also, he came home from working out and said,"What's for dinner?" He asked me that before he left to work out and I said, "I don't know. My go to meal is spaghetti, and you don't like that." If he keeps asking me instead of dealing with it himself when he can see I'm not enthusiastic, is it a demand?

I feel like he circles me asking questions til he gets the response he wants. That is a DJ.

I'm frustrated.

That is why when you both work POJA you have to phrase your questions

How would you feel ...
I have an idea ... how would you feel...
Would you be in agreement with ....

It has to become habit forming your questions, and nothing happens until there is enthusiastic agreement, i.e.

Husband: What's for dinner?
Wife: How do you feel about spaghetti?
Husband: I am not enthusiastic about that what else?
Wife: I was selecting spaghetti because I have very little time, and I cannot think of anything else quick and easy, do you have an idea or suggestion?

continue until you are in agreement. Once you both build this habit it will become second nature for you. A great place to start is with the kids. They will always come at you with the opposite. They are great negotiating practice people.

M
M
Frustration is the result of not using POJA.

Tonight before bed.

Wife: How would you feel about helping me get organized on Sunday?
Husband: What kind of organization?
Wife: Because of this and that I am behind on this... would you be able to watch the kids for two hours while I get organized?
Husband: Not really
Wife: How would you feel about hiring a babysitter for two hours so I can get organized?
Husband: We do not have the money?
Wife: So how would you feel about helping me with the kids while I get organized since we do not have the money?
Husband: Can I do it when little Sally naps?
Wife: Yes, as long as I can get two hours.
Husband: Okay, I will watch the kids for two hours while little Sally naps, and you can get organized.

H
H
Originally Posted by PrayIncessantly
Wife: I was selecting spaghetti because I have very little time, and I cannot think of anything else quick and easy, do you have an idea or suggestion?

Anointed's post contained a key piece of information; she was preparing a meal that she knew ahead of time he didn't like.

"I was thinking of spaghetti, and I know you don't like that."

If your husband doesn't like spaghetti, then why make it as the family meal?

Second, the reason that one spouse makes a decision that another spouse is not PoJA about is irrelevant. What is relevant is that one spouse is not PoJA about it.

That simply goes back to if your spouse does not like spaghetti, don't make spaghetti.

Lastly, if you are not PoJA about something (vacuuming spiders) say it.

"I am not enthusiastic/PoJA about vacuuming the spiders.

First time. Last time. If this is done, then there is no need for him to repeat the request... which does start to make it a SD. But, your husband isn't here, is he? And if you try to lecture him, you will then be making a DJ.

Simply state that you are not enthusiastic about it.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks PrayIncessantly!

The how would you feel question has been missing. I never got in the habit of doing it every time.

I will work on it.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I like your example, Pray.

I can do this.

Yesterday, my DH said that if I didn't feel like making dinner that I was neglecting my wifely duties.

That was it. Either I make dinner, or I am being neglectful. I let him know that those are not the only two options and we can brainstorm for others. He had an AO and left the room.

He later came and told me what he appreciates about me, but this specific conversation was not addressed.

Today he said he is still frustrated with me.

There are not only 2 sides to any issue. I'd like to work on this, and right now I fear my DH is only seeing it his way or no way.

I don't understand this because he is very teachable and willing to grow and learn.

Not sure how to approach POJA when that is the response I get.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Okay HHH.

I will just say I am not enthusiastic about it.

I feel bullied lately, and that can only come from returning to a victim mindset.

I can say no.

He can respond however he wants.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
B
B
Have you seen these?
How to resolve conflicts
Having Trouble with POJA Read all the letters in the having trouble with POJA.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
How many UA hours are you getting? What are you doing during that time? Does your husband enjoy it? Do you?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks BH, I have read this, but I read this again to refresh.

I sent the links to my DH including the ones for REALLY incompatible couples regarding POJA.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, Prisca I was disrespectful. I still struggle with letting my feelings get the best of me sometimes. I'm getting better though.

I sent your post to my DH in an email and asked if we could read these links later together.

Domestic duties are not as big of a concern to me because I have taken on the majority of things since I stay home now. I just get tired of doing all the cooking day in, day out, 7 days a week, and sometimes I just want some assistance. I don't want to abandon my responsibilities, though.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Since February, that is 4 months, UA time has been inconsistent. Even though I mentioned it to DH that I was feeling lonely and wanted to spend time with him, he didn't make a plan with me.

We have started taking 30 minute walks at night, and that helps some, but I'm so low in my LoveBank that I'm needing him to meet some important needs of mine. We have never taken the questionnaire together, but I will just do it on my own. After I finish posting in fact.

Our UA was non-existent when I was sick these last 2 months, so I'm sure that is why it feels so bad right now. I can't tell if he enjoys being with me. I ask him if he likes it when I come to work out with him (because I can't tell) and he says yes he does. He prefers it.

He is solemn and has many, many negative things to say about the world right now. Not very pleasant for me to be around.

I have told him that I need Affirmation, and he has made an effort to say nice things to me. Am I being disrespectful in my heart when I don't receive these types of compliments well, "You are the best stirrer I've ever seen." "Here comes the best mommy in the world." "How can you be sad? Usually beautiful women have no reason to be sad."

These sounds so insincere to me (especially with the tone and inflection he uses). He is a serious guy, but when he says these things to me, he has a silly tone. Is it a DJ to feel like it's a joke? I asked him if he was joking, and he said no. "Can I not compliment you?"

He says it in such a way that is out of character for him, and I try to take it as it is. It's just hard.

I will take the questionnaire and go from there.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Our text convo:

Me: I am so sad. And so lonely. (side note: we have not have SF for 1 week)

DH: Me too

Me: I'm sorry. I know you are. I am withdrawn but trying to reach out to you. Will you please consider posting on MB? We cannot afford coaching but some of these people really know what he teaches.

DH: I don't have time

Me: I'm trying to help you with your time. If I learn your (other job) stuff will you post? I'll learn it anyway.

DH: I don't want to

Me: K frown

I'm so discouraged.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Married 13 yrs
Me:32
FWH:33
12yr old, 10yr old, and 2yr old
FWH had a few affairs in 2001-2002
Fully recovered

I've been going through an angry stage since May 2011, and I thought we would separate in July 2011. I've been angry about the lack of boundaries in my marriage and the hurtful words my husband has said. My friends and family have obviously encouraged me to stay and work things out, but I'm not sure things will ever change regarding the DJs and unsolicited advice-->I read the unsolicited advice thread yesterday, and it hit the nail on the head for us!

I hate the words "you should have!" They are so unproductive for me and feel like a slap in the face.
OK, so be proactive and when presented with a situation where you suspect he'll say that, say it first. "I know I should have...., but I didn't and now I'm paying the price."

You know, when presented with someone who brings a lot of what appears to be preventable issues, it's sometimes a real drag to have to watch them do the same things over again, and then come complain about what happened.

So while you may want him to stop saying, "You should have..." he just might like to see you start doing some of those things so you don't bring all this drama into your lives. So consider his view of such situations, not just yours. After all, there are two in the marriage, not just you and your feelings.
I have sent some links trying to explain DJ's to my hubby, but I don't know if it is truly sinking in. I feel so hopeless and just plain worn out.

Last night's example:

I've been working on decorating my daughter's bathroom, and I finally got everything painted and all the decor set out to hang on the walls. I have had a very busy schedule since last week and haven't had time to focus on it.

My husband came into the office while I was working and asked "Will you be finishing the bathroom tonight?" I already knew where it would go when I said "no." I told him I wouldn't have time, and he told me that my "procrastination has caught up with me" because one of the pictures (that I based the whole design of the bathroom) has been ruined.
OK, you say you knew his answer, so what could you have proactively said to avoid this? Could you have made a pledge to complete the project and then stick to it, no excuses? Could you validate that you know the current state of things bothers him?

You are here complaining about his DJ's, but what are you going to do about what may appear to him to be an Annoying Habit?

If this is a recurrent theme, what are you doing to address your steps in this dance? Remember DJ's are often a RESPONSE to something that bothers the spouse. You can't just stop the DJ's, you also have to work on your side of the street and start addressing the things that are annoying him.
We had a service man in that bathroom, and he placed all the wet shampoo bottles on top of my painting! I was so upset! It takes so much courage for me to even try to be creative and artistic, and I felt like that room was coming together beautifully.

I was literally reading the unwanted advice thread when he walked in, and I had an AO. Ugh. I told him I hate talking to him because of this. I was so discouraged! Why isn't he a friend to me??? Why couldn't he have said, "Honey, I'm so sorry but one of your paintings has been ruined. Can I help you pick up the things off of the cabinet so nothing else gets ruined?"
I guess I have to ask why you can't see how he IS BEING A FRIEND by suggesting ways to avoid this in the future? He sees this bothers you. He doesn't want you to be bothered by this in the future, so he suggests a way to avoid it. In his own way, he is being a very GOOD FRIEND. You simply choose not to see it that way.

Your choice.
He told me that since he has to say things a certain way I am not "letting him have an opinion." I've never said he couldn't have an opinion. I've always just asked that he be careful HOW he says it.
OK, so are you going to keep dismissing him, or will you respond with, "I understand how you may feel that way."

So you are telling him "He should be careful..."

You are sending a mixed message. He cannot say you should put the painting in a safe place, but it's OK for you to say he should be careful.

Do you see how you contradict yourself?
I'm so discouraged and hurt. I'm beside myself that this will never change. Our first fight was on this very topic 14 years ago.

I'm so tired.

OK, so don't fight. Find the good in what he says, and stop doing the things to him you say bother you when he does them. It will only confuse the issue.

Guys are about action, generally speaking. So your ACTIONS will tell him what is acceptable. If you are using attitudes like he should... then guess what? He will act in a similar fashion.

Since you say he should be careful, you give him license to say you should be careful with the painting, or whatever advice he has to offer.

You always have a choice on how you respond to what he says and does. So will you choose to act in a fashion that builds your marriage, or in a fashion where you simply continue your LB behaviors and mixed messages?
I really like this post Enlightened. It makes a lot more sense to me now. I know I still have so much more to learn but I'm slowly getting it. Thanks.

Last edited by Anointed; 06/19/12 10:57 AM.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Thanks for your post Enlightened_Ex. You have stated many of the things my husband says, and I still just dont understand that point of view.
If your goal is understanding, then the DJ's from you will continue. After all, I suspect he doesn't understand your point of view either. I think that contributes to the DJ's.

So instead of trying to understand his point of view, why not offer him the same thing you want, ACCEPT that he has a point of view as well.

Just as your efforts and point of view are valuable, his are too. If your goal is understanding, then I don't think you'll get very far. If your goal is to build romantic love, then it's more about how you act. I don't think you fell in love because you understood his point of view. You fell in love because you did things that built romantic love.

I'd focus more on accepting things, rather than understanding.

A concrete example, I don't need to understand why my wife turns the thermostat up to 85 when she's cold. She does it. I "know" it won't make the house warmer, and pretty soon she'll complain that it's too hot. But I accept that that is how her mind works. Perhaps she thinks it's like a throttle. But then that begs the question why she doesn't operate the oven that way.

The point is, I don't have to understand that contradiction to love her.
When he says "you should have" I don't always agree that I "should" have been doing what he says. I or it may be that I've done what I feel is the best I can given my schedule, and his "should haves" disregard my efforts.
Practice the following phrase, "You may be right."

It's always true. It's not saying he is right, it's not saying he's not. Trying to determine "who is right" will not lead to romantic love.
I am the type of person who finishes what I set my mind to. I've had a disconnect when it comes to organizing and decorating in a certain part of my home due to time, money, and honestly my husbands negative feedback to my attempts at decor. I think I'm very good at it and so do many others. In fact, I finished the bathroom last week, and my husband thought I'd done a great job (even though just a couple of weeks prior he had said that the paintings I'd picked weren't exactly "bathroom" type pictures.). I'm not sure what behaviors he thinks I can prevent since I'm a well accomplished person who does as much as reasonably possible while working from home and handling 3 busy kids. I don't feel he is understanding and reasonable in this area.
My short answer is, So?

If your approach annoys him, it is an annoying habit, no matter how creative or talented you or your friends might find it. He is the one married to you and he has to live in the home as well. If your creative process destroys romantic love, then is that good for your marriage?

I'm not saying change the process, I'm suggesting that you stop justifying your process and consider the impact is has on your husband.

Just as you want him to stop saying, "You should have...." if the process annoys him, then knock it off. It doesn't matter the outcome. If you are destroying romantic love in the process is the price too high for the outcome?

Let's turn the tables. What if when your husband says, "You should have..." it was the "right" answer. But you are hurt and do not feel loved and cherished when he says that. Should he continue to say that because in the end, he was right, his way was better?

Of course not. So the same is true with your process you justify here. It doesn't matter how great you and your friends say it is if it's a LB from your husband's perspective.
The state of a couple of rooms upstairs bothers us BOTH but he knows I have to do things slowly.
So are you suggesting that knowing is the solution. OK, I'll ask you to apply your standard. You know your husband says, "You should..." therefore, since you know that's his process, you should just accept it. Yes, I sad you should.

He admitted later that he was just upset that the picture had been damaged, and he said he came about sharing his feelings with me in the wrong way.

I'm sorry but I don't WANT my husband suggesting to me how to avoid things in the future...at least not in a parent type role towards me. Many times I'm well aware of the problem, and I'm doing my very best to deal with it. Letting me know how to prevent things in the future says to me that he does not believe I am capable. When he comes at me from that point of view, I am not interested in his unwanted advice. If he came at me with, "honey, how would you feel if we started doing ..." or "I see you couldn't get to such and such today...is there some way I can help?". Those types of statements make me feel like we are a team and that he is a FRIEND to me. If you notice in my post, he didn't offer suggestions to help. He just informed me that procrastination had caught up with me ( we are talking a couple of weeks of painting, etc....not months) Teaching me because he feels I'm incapable is not acceptable to me.

If you notice my wording I did not say that he SHOULD be careful how he says things. I am ASKING him to be careful. To me, those are light worlds apart. I don't see how that contradicts what I'm asking him to do.
I believe he's taking it that way. If he's saying he cannot express himself, then I think he's saying you are telling him how to speak.

But I'll play along. I didn't say you should just accept that he says, "you should" what I said was, "Things would turn out much better if you can find a way to accept that he is just he way he is."

Sure, I can rephrase the "you should" in a flowery way so it doesn't appear to be "you should." But if the underlying message is you don't think your husband is communicating with you in the right way, the conclusion he will draw is the same one I came to. You are saying he should change his approach.
Thanks for your insight. I will think longer on your post since you seem to really understand how my hubby feels. He says I contradict myself by doing the things I ask him not to do. I have always asked alllllll these years to please be careful how he words things. This is not enough direction, I see, and we are planning to focus on reading Lovebusters this week. (we have been overwhelmed with a family wedding)

Thanks Enlightened_Ex.

So what you are saying is that if you ask long enough, a "you should" becomes acceptable. So all he has to do when you do something he finds annoying is to keep asking you to change your approach and that will make his "you should's" OK.

I'll leave you with one final insight.

I see you justifying your actions, but you are critical of his. Even saying you don't understand could be interpreted as something of a criticism. It comes across as if he's (or I) am so different that it's difficult or perhaps even unrealistic to understand what either of us are saying.

Since he's not here to either defend himself or change his behavior, it's really of little value to focus on what you perceive to be his faults.

What are you going to do?

If your response is more justification, then I will simply bow out of the conversation and let you continue down your path.

I have an idea, how about you read your post to me and highlight your DJ's. I'll give you a hint, using the words "I feel" don't change a DJ into a feeling statement. One cannot say, "I feel you don't love me" and expect that to be treated as a feeling statement. It's not, it's a DJ. It's suggesting you know more about how he loves or doesn't love than he does.

So find your own DJs. After all, if you want him to stop, you can't be flinging DJs or any other love busters at him.

You may find it more productive to entice your husband on board by demonstrating the program. What you write comes across as, "I hope Marriage Builders will fix my husband."

Instead of trying to get him to read it and buy in, which doesn't seem very fruitful so far, why not use it to address your own behaviors.

What are your love busters? What things do you do that make withdrawals from the love bank? DJs, annoying habits, what are your marital sins? What emotional needs are you not meeting for him? Have you dropped independent behavior and use the POJA to resolve issues?

If the upstairs bothers both of you, then why not use the POJA to negotiate the standard and how you will tackle the issue. I wouldn't let him in on the fact you are using a program. Just sell it as what it is, a win-win solution. It bothers you both and you believe that it's in both your best interests if you pick a solution, a means and a deadline you both enthusiastically embrace.

Instead of doing it yourself and resenting he doesn't help and instead of him resenting that it's still not done why not find a way that you both can embrace. Take what you know about him to highlight aspects that will appeal to him.

It's not about which way is better, your way or his way, it's about finding ways that engage you both and leave you both more than satisfied not only with the outcome, but with the entire process.

Sometimes you simply have to make "painting the fence" seem like the best job in the world. Sometimes you simply have to make it the best job in the world, not because it is, but because you are a great partner.

You may have to be that great partner to get him on board. I reserve the right to be wrong. However it's my belief that going first and being that great partner will be far more effective than getting him to read and get on-board.

The first method demonstrates your love for him. The second says you need to be fixed and here is what is wrong with you.

Sounds a lot like what you don't like in his approach, so why are you using a different flavor what you don't like when he does it?

Another great post, Enlightened. I'm trying.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I hope my husband will post here. And if you read this, MrAnointed, I am truly sorry for all the disrespectful things I said about you and for all the judgements I made. It wasn't fair, and it is not the way I'd like to be treated. I hope you will forgive me.

Originally Posted by markos
He also said we were distant and that he's looking for intimacy.

I've been there, and angry too at the same time.

Mr. Anointed, if you're reading -- come here. We can help you get that intimacy.

Please consider posting her, MrAnointed.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
Our text convo:

Me: I am so sad. And so lonely. (side note: we have not have SF for 1 week)

DH: Me too

Me: I'm sorry. I know you are. I am withdrawn but trying to reach out to you. Will you please consider posting on MB? We cannot afford coaching but some of these people really know what he teaches.

DH: I don't have time

Me: I'm trying to help you with your time. If I learn your (other job) stuff will you post? I'll learn it anyway.

DH: I don't want to

Me: K frown

I'm so discouraged.

You are pushing him. As good as it would be if he were to post here, you can't push him.

The real important thing is that UA time that has been neglected. So he might not feel like planning with you right now ... What can you plan?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks Prisca.

You are right. I'm feeling a little desperate, so I'm doing exactly what I hate. The underlying motivation can be felt no matter how nicely I phrase it.

I will look at my calendar today and try to set up some UA time that would be fun for the both of us. I saw the inexpensive UA idea thread, so I'll take a look a that.

Thanks for being there for me, Prisca.

I read through my thread, and not too much has changed. So I better switch things up on my end.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I was feeling especially down at lunch today, and I was praying about it. I wanted to tell God how bad things were, but He pointed out just how far I have come personally.

I am still sensitive, but I recognize better my contribution to the state of this marriage.

I am much more concerned with my DH's feelings than ever before, and I do believe I have almost completely stoped making SD (at least the outright ones).

I know what a DJ is, and that is huge since they can be hard to pinpoint.

What else...let's see. I am much calmer these days (at least with my DH, still working on not having AO with my children...teenager and a pre-teen. Oy)

I am very willing to work on me. And that's good.

I have to admit, I tried very hard last night to talk myself into meeting my DH's need for SF, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't understand why I can't see it for just a need and meet it, but when I feel so disrespected and hurt it is very challenging.

I need to focus on what it is I can change and ask God to teach me how to meet his needs even when he doesn't meet mine.

I'm feeling quite distraught today but am trying to keep everything in a logical perspective since I know some of it is probably pregnancy hormones.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
So I figured out 8.5 hrs of UA time before DH leaves for a trip with his parents on Friday.

I will focus on making it pleasurable for us both.

Also, I took all the questionnaires. My top emotional needs are

ADMIRATION
CONVERSATION
FINANCIAL SUPPORT
DOMESTIC SUPPORT
AFFECTION

I think. Financial and Domestic may be switched.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 18 of 62 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 76 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation