Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
BrainHurts #2640235 06/27/12 04:02 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
If exposure itself doesn't end the affair immediately, my advice regarding what to do next is usually different for husbands and wives. I encourage husbands to try to stick to avoiding arguments and meeting their unfaithful wives' basic needs (Plan A) as long as possible (six months to a year). But I usually encourage wives to separate after about three weeks if their husband is still in contact with his lover. My experience has taught me that the health of most women deteriorates quickly and significantly while living with an unfaithful husband. Men, on the other hand, tend to be able to weather the storm longer with fewer emotional or physical effects. I call the strategy of complete separation Plan B.

From here How To Survive An Affair

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2640236 06/27/12 04:03 PM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2640243 06/27/12 04:10 PM
N
N
3 weeks is plenty! You don't have to rush to a D, but Plan B should not be far away.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2640263 06/27/12 05:03 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well, he told me this last night. This is his way of telling me we should be separated. So separated we shall be. He is not interested in reconciliation.

I read an article here about dealing with an unfaithful husband:

"The first step is to be the very best wife you can possibly be. Do everything you can to meet his needs, and don't do anything to upset him. Set a period of time that you think you can do this without getting too upset, say, six months. Once in a while, tell him that you think both of you need a fresh start somewhere else.

If he does not respond to your kindness and respectful suggestions within that period of time you're ready for the second step: pack up yourself and your children and move near your family and friends for their support. It should be far away from his lover -- another city or even another state. Have absolutely nothing to do with him. Don't talk to him, don't see him. "

I see my attorney 7/5 to discuss what alimony I am entitled to. The reason I am waiting until then? Our 10 year anniversary is in 2 days....Friday. I want the 10 year mark to pass before I pursue anything. Here in NY State, I can sue him for adultery so long as I have proof. I have some emails of him apologizing after I emailed him and mentioned how his affair hurt me. Know what else? I may sue HER for adultery. It's against the law here.

I am also getting pre-qualified for a mortgage. I put the wheels in motion today. I hope I have enough credit to qualify. Would you believe my WH actually offered to co-sign a mortgage for me? This is so he can have a line of communication and connection to me. Little does he and his daughter know, I am moving across town near my sister (and near the OW, incidentally). I lived in that town from '96 until last November, so she can go scratch.

I am going to start packing my china and Xmas decorations and schlepping them over to my sisters house. I will do this quietly and methodically when he goes out, like he is out tonight probably watching her stupid band play.

I am trying to be as loving a wife as I can be without upsetting him and committing love busters. I committed LOTS of love busters during our marriage and it's hard to break that. I'm trying.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
D-day 6/1/12: WH had affair w/ woman who sings in a blues band/he plays blues guitar
7/2/12 he broke promise of NC with OW & moved out
7/3/12 he expressed desire to recover
7/16/12 Things really smoothed out
LisaL77 #2640264 06/27/12 05:12 PM
N
N
Dr. H needs to update his articles. He originally recommended 6 months of Plan A for both genders. Most of his books still list Plan A that way. For a BH, that's still a good target to shoot for, somewhere in the 3-6 month range.

The BW's who tried to go that long were suffering too many physical and emotional side effects from prolonged exposure to CRAZY PEOPLE, so he shortened the recommended time for BW's to 3-6 weeks. That's been fairly recent, coming to the forefront in the last few years.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Neak #2640266 06/27/12 05:14 PM
N
N
I am highly in favor of suing WS's and OP's anyplace they'll let you. Consequences are a natural part of Plan A and Plan B.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
BrainHurts #2640269 06/27/12 05:18 PM
B
B
Lisa did you see this? Dr. Harley does not recommend 6 months of Plan A for BW but 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
If exposure itself doesn't end the affair immediately, my advice regarding what to do next is usually different for husbands and wives. I encourage husbands to try to stick to avoiding arguments and meeting their unfaithful wives' basic needs (Plan A) as long as possible (six months to a year). But I usually encourage wives to separate after about three weeks if their husband is still in contact with his lover. My experience has taught me that the health of most women deteriorates quickly and significantly while living with an unfaithful husband. Men, on the other hand, tend to be able to weather the storm longer with fewer emotional or physical effects. I call the strategy of complete separation Plan B.

From here How To Survive An Affair

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

BrainHurts #2640274 06/27/12 05:43 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Brainhurts, I read one of his "What to do with an unfaithful husband letter #3" which stated to the BW to set aside, say, 6 months to practice the Plan A meeting EN and avoiding LBs.

I am a tough cookie. I think I can do this. Even though I have multiple sclerosis. I was the glue of this family. I am taking measures to ensure I can live independently, but I am now re-reading HNHN and I have several other books coming from Dr. H.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
D-day 6/1/12: WH had affair w/ woman who sings in a blues band/he plays blues guitar
LisaL77 #2640296 06/27/12 06:59 PM
B
B
Are you getting the book Surviving An Affair?

Are you going to call the BH of OW or go over there?

You need to expose to this BH. Especially if your WH plans to be in a band with her. Your M will never recover. redflag

Every time your WH sees OW the affair will be on. You need to make sure there is No contact between them for life.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

LisaL77 #2640309 06/27/12 07:48 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by LisaL77
Brainhurts, I read one of his "What to do with an unfaithful husband letter #3" which stated to the BW to set aside, say, 6 months to practice the Plan A meeting EN and avoiding LBs.

lisa, you are reading an old, old article that Harley probably overlooked when he updated the other articles and his books. Plan A should only be 3 to 4 weeks TOPS for a woman. The reason is because a) women have nervous breakdowns from staying in Plan A for too long and b) your pursuit of him is very unattractive. It does not work with men. It just makes you look more unattractive.

So, I would get him moved out NOW so you can go right into Plan B. Plan A longer than 4 weeks is not recommended for a woman.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

LisaL77 #2640311 06/27/12 07:55 PM
M
M
Well no response from the OWH. I sent the same message to her father in law.

I would stop sending facebook messages and drive to his home like I advised. The OW is very likely intercepting your messages and has told her husband you are some kook by now. You need to get moving and take a more strategic approach towards exposure if it is to have any effect.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2640312 06/27/12 07:58 PM
M
M
The primary reason for abandoning plan A for plan B is protection. The stress experienced in plan A (trying to care for someone too long who is hurting you more deeply than you ever have, or ever will, experience) can leave you physically and emotionally damaged. So the question each person must ask themselves is, "how tough am I?"

My experience is that men are tougher mentally and physically than women. By that, I mean that women seem to start falling apart emotionally and physically after just a few months, or even a few weeks, of plan A. Men, on the other hand, seem to be able to keep it up for years before experiencing health problems.

If I don't know a person too well, I tend to lean to the safe side by recommending 3-4 weeks of plan A for women, and 6 months for men. But if a woman is no worse for wear after a few weeks, or a man is feeling okay after 6 months, there's no reason to end plan A at that point. As you can see, it's inexact, and depends on how the person is doing. A good support system (like the support people often receive on the Forum) can often keep a person in plan A much longer.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubb...in=151015&Number=2069970#Post2069970

radio clip about Plan A and length of time: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=2793

Exposure 101

LisaL77 #2640313 06/27/12 07:59 PM
M
M
I think they have some arrangement and he doesn't care.
Tell me how many husbands you know who have this 'arrangement'. I don't know any.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

maritalbliss #2640341 06/27/12 09:52 PM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have his home phone at work, not at home. I will call him tomorrow at work if his secretary lets me through.

His family owns a health care group that owns a LOT of nursing homes in the area. If they break up, and there is no pre-nup, then he has a lot to lose.

I am considering hiring a private eye for photo evidence.

WHO SHOULD LEAVE THIS HOUSE? HIM OR ME? He pays all the household bills, I pay medical, groceries, gifts, incidentals, household supplies, etc. Also, his daughter lives here and may not want to stay if he leaves and I stay. I am currently trying to qualify for a mortgage NOW. I have to get a place that allows 2 dogs, they are going with ME.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
LisaL77 #2640348 06/27/12 10:17 PM
M
M
WHO SHOULD LEAVE THIS HOUSE? HIM OR ME? He pays all the household bills, I pay medical, groceries, gifts, incidentals, household supplies, etc. Also, his daughter lives here and may not want to stay if he leaves and I stay. I am currently trying to qualify for a mortgage NOW. I have to get a place that allows 2 dogs, they are going with ME.

Do you have any children?

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2640427 06/28/12 08:33 AM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have a step-daughter, 16 years old who NEVER comes home anymore. She is uncomfortable because of this situation. She lives at friends houses since D-Day.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
LisaL77 #2640428 06/28/12 08:36 AM
B
B
I have a step-daughter, 16 years old who NEVER comes home anymore. She is uncomfortable because of this situation. She lives at friends houses since D-Day.
When are you calling the BH of OW?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

LisaL77 #2640429 06/28/12 08:44 AM
M
M

Since that is his daughter, you might want to make plans to move out yourself. That way, she is not getting booted out of her home.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2640437 06/28/12 09:14 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Since that is his daughter, you might want to make plans to move out yourself. That way, she is not getting booted out of her home.

Ditto. Can't believe your husband is doing this to you and his daughter. Boggles the mind the choices waywards make.

Justthe3ofus #2640501 06/28/12 11:35 AM
L
LisaL77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Yeah, but I have multiple sclerosis and it's hard for me to move around, much less pack and move. I am trying to prequalify for a small mortgate.

I try calling this guy and left a voice mail at work. I will try at home when I know she is out playing with her band.

I said I have some sensitive, personal information to share with you that is very important.

This feels utterly hopeless.

Last edited by LisaL77; 06/28/12 11:46 AM.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 434 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation