Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 62 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 61 62
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Zhamila
The fact that he immediately blamed YOU is a problem. Wow.

I wonder what Dr. Harley would say on the radio? When's the last time you received his advice on this?

Hi Zhamila,

Thanks for your post. He actually was kidding when he said "so you admit it's all your fault."

I knew it when he said that he was kidding but was too touchy to recognize it at the time.

I haven't called in to the Harley's in a while. I could.

I think for now I will continue to focus on mutually enjoyable UA time and go from there. smile

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Nope.

Anointed was right to recognize that (especially at this point) bringing up complaints during UA time isn't always a great idea.

UA time is supposed to be pleasant, and be spent meeting the 4 intimate emotional needs.

Thanks HHH. I'm trying not to be so self-absorbed with my unhappiness that I can't allow DH to have a good time during UA. I'm used to talking about stuff that bothers me whenever it bothers me rather than considering my DH. (Is it a good time for him? Have I been meeting his needs as well?)

I have been pretty self-centered. I will ask him more about things that interest him.

Unfortunately he really likes talking politics, but he often lets DJ's fly when discussing these things. I don't enjoy it.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by CWMI
During UA, it is much more effective to go for positive reinforcement of what you do want rather than talking about anything negative. Like if he were to pick up your hand while walking, you'd smile big or flirty or just say how much you like it; skip the part about how he hasn't done that in years.

If you're not feeling connected, make a move toward connection. Pick up his hand. Squeeze his bum. Just move closer. Tell him a story about yourself he's never heard before.

This is really good, CWMI. Like I said, it takes focusing on other things than what is bothering me at the moment to do so. (i.e. considering my spouse) In the past that would feel too painful. I know that sounds whiny. It's the way things were.

But now I'm getting stronger, and I am beginning to see the bigger picture. I can keep pressing towards the larger goal and try not to die on molehills.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Zhamila,

I'm really not meeting his needs. Not really. I think we've had SF 4-5 this MONTH. That is not going to cut it.

I withdraw. He withdraws.

I'm not doing my part, but I'm working on it. It has been hard to do my part when I feel like my lovebank is empty. It doesn't take much to feel better, though. Our time together right before he left was very nice for me, and I'm still feeling good over it.

If that is the case, I can continue to focus on having a mutually enjoyable UA time with him and DO for him what I want done for me (instead of both of us staring at each other at a stale-mate). That is what we do relationally.

We get in a fight, or get miffed, and just go silent. Both of us.

That is not working for us.

I can be a stronger person than that. It doesn't kill me to meet his needs.

I've not been the best wife, Zhamila. But I'm working on changing that.

Thanks for being on my team. smile

Married 20 yrs
4 children
B
B
The only thing you can control is yourself.

Clean up your side of the street.

So what is your plan to do this?

I commend you for noticing this. So what is your plan?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
C
(psst...a guy who is getting some is much easier to deal with, and to quote an old saying tongue-in-cheek: a man is like a linoleum floor. Lay 'em right and you can walk all over 'em)

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
B
B
(psst...a guy who is getting some is much easier to deal with, and to quote an old saying tongue-in-cheek: a man is like a linoleum floor. Lay 'em right and you can walk all over 'em)
In addition this.
Here's some more clips. Please let us know what you think.
Radio clip on SF
Radio clip on too much or not enough SF
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
Anointed, one problem I keep seeing is this: You and your husband are still at war. You cautiously circle each other, waiting for either the other to attack, or for an opening to attack.

You are not each others enemy. You are fighting on the same side, for the same cause: Your marriage.

Put down your weapons!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
BTW, have you ever read about Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders?

Originally Posted by Melodylane
A buyer is defined by their behaviors. So the way to change is to adopt buyers habits. As such:

Freeloader is unwilling to put much effort into the care of his or her partner in a romantic relationship. He or she does only what comes naturally and expects only what comes naturally. It's like a person who tries to live in a house without paying rent or doing anything to improve it unless the person is in the mood to do so.

Renter is willing to provide limited care as long as it's in his or her best interest. The romantic relationship is considered tentative, so the care is viewed as short-term. It's like a person who rents a house and is willing to stay as long as the conditions seem fair, or until he or she finds something better. The person is willing to pay reasonable rent and keep the house clean but is not willing to make repairs or improvements. It's the landlord's job to keep the place attractive enough for the renter to stay and continue paying rent.

Buyer is willing to demonstrate an extraordinary sense of care by making permanent changes in his or her own behavior and lifestyle to make the romantic relationship mutually fulfilling. Solutions to problems are long-term solutions and must work well for both partners because the romantic relationship is viewed as exclusive and permanent. It's like a person who buys a house for life with a willingness to make repairs that accomodate changing needs, painting the walls, installing new carpet, replacing the roof, and even doing some remodeling so that it can be comfortable and useful.

Renters believe Our relationship is temporary. You may be right for me today and wrong for me tomorrow.

Buyers believe We are together for life.

Renters believe Our relationship should be fair. What I get should balance what I give.

Buyers believe We both contribute whatever it takes to make our relationship successful.

Renters believe As needs change, the relationship may end if needs are difficult to meet.

Buyers believe As needs change, we will make adjustments to meet new needs.

Renters believe Criticism may prompt me to change if it's worthwhile for me to do so.

Buyers believe Criticism indicates a need for change.

Renters believe Sacrifice is reasonable as long as it's fair.

Buyers believe Sacrifice is dangerous and to be avoided.

Renters believe Short-term fixes are fine.

Buyers believe long-term solutions are necessary.

Which are you?
If you are a Buyer, why are you still fighting?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
B
Here's another good thread on the subject that Prisca told you about.
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

H
H
Originally Posted by Anointed
Nope.

Anointed was right to recognize that (especially at this point) bringing up complaints during UA time isn't always a great idea.

UA time is supposed to be pleasant, and be spent meeting the 4 intimate emotional needs.

Thanks HHH. I'm trying not to be so self-absorbed with my unhappiness that I can't allow DH to have a good time during UA. I'm used to talking about stuff that bothers me whenever it bothers me rather than considering my DH. (Is it a good time for him? Have I been meeting his needs as well?)

I have been pretty self-centered. I will ask him more about things that interest him.

Unfortunately he really likes talking politics, but he often lets DJ's fly when discussing these things. I don't enjoy it.

Here's another idea; why don't you allow yourself to have a good time during UA time?

The reason that UA time is the foundation of the MB program, is that hitting that mark (15 to maintain, 20+ to fall in love) allows you both to make massive LB$ deposits by meeting the 4 intimate emotional needs.

As far as discussing politics - it would probably be an exercise in the enemies of good conversation.

While things like watching TV and movies doesn't really count as UA time, they can be EXCELLENT activities.

Here's why; finding a mutually enjoyable program or movie creates a topic for pleasant conversation. On top of that, small things like discussing movies and music (your likes and dislikes) is intimate conversation.

The positive emotions you feel talking about those things are attributed to your spouse - in other words, a deposit is made.

Small steps!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
The only thing you can control is yourself.

Clean up your side of the street.

So what is your plan to do this?

I commend you for noticing this. So what is your plan?

Thanks BH. I plan on 15+ hrs of UA time while avoiding LBs. That should be a good start.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A

haha!

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
I can't listen to any radio clips BH because I'm not a member. frown

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Prisca
Anointed, one problem I keep seeing is this: You and your husband are still at war. You cautiously circle each other, waiting for either the other to attack, or for an opening to attack.

You are not each others enemy. You are fighting on the same side, for the same cause: Your marriage.

Put down your weapons!

This is the absolute truth. I don't know if we trust each other. I'm working on doing the right thing no matter what.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Which are you?
If you are a Buyer, why are you still fighting?

I've been thinking on this for a couple of days, and I think I'm becoming a buyer. I'm not sure I ever was one.

If I was, it was before his affairs. I think that it shook my world so much in that I realized our marriage could be over in a second. He could change his mind at any time. And he could do the unthinkable without my knowledge.

When I realized this, I think my perception of marriage (especially mine) really changed.

I may have been on the alert all these years. I have been keenly aware that I can and might have to leave if needed. It's hard to build intimacy with the feeling that he could leave at any time...not to mention I might have to.

Shell shocked.

And time doesn't heal all wounds. July 15th will be 9 years since d-day. Kinda pathetic and makes me a little angry that I'm still working through some stuff.

That is why I'd like to go to an Affair recovery program at church. Don't know if he would ever be on board with that.

I guess all of that is to say, I'm dipping my big toe into the pool of Buyers. Trying to get the courage to jump in.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Here's another good thread on the subject that Prisca told you about.
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders

This thread is amazing! I haven't read it all yet, but what I have read shows me that there may be more to "it" than avoiding LBs and meeting ENs.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
B
B
You don't have to be a member to listen to the ones I've posted, only if you want to pull them up in the archive.

Do you have updated flash on your computer?
Do you have firefox on your computer?

When you click on the links that I've provided, what happens?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

A
OP Offline
A
Nope.

Here's another idea; why don't you allow yourself to have a good time during UA time?

The reason that UA time is the foundation of the MB program, is that hitting that mark (15 to maintain, 20+ to fall in love) allows you both to make massive LB$ deposits by meeting the 4 intimate emotional needs.

As far as discussing politics - it would probably be an exercise in the enemies of good conversation.

While things like watching TV and movies doesn't really count as UA time, they can be EXCELLENT activities.

Here's why; finding a mutually enjoyable program or movie creates a topic for pleasant conversation. On top of that, small things like discussing movies and music (your likes and dislikes) is intimate conversation.

The positive emotions you feel talking about those things are attributed to your spouse - in other words, a deposit is made.

Small steps!

Thanks HHH. I'm trying.

Last night DH came home from being gone with his parents on a really fun trip for a week. It was good. I was glad to see him. He looked in the fridge and saw that some produce had started to go bad, and he was upset about it. (wasteful)

I told him that I didn't cook much while he was gone, and he said, "I hope you didn't eat out all the time." I said, no just did easy things. He said, "How many times did you eat out?" Twice. He got really upset and said something like, it's stuff like that that just eats our finances up. I was feeling uncomfortable and told him that he is free to complain but don't lecture me.

He then said something like, "You are on your way to going back to work."

I was really hurt by this. We have VERY tight finances, but we have not agreed that we would NEVER go out to eat. He was away, and I had 3 children and I'm pregnant.

I did easy meals (hotdogs, frozen pizza, sandwiches) When I did eat out I think it totaled $26.

I would have liked it if he would have asked some questions and voiced his concern. I have a feeling he is just stressed over our finances and got demanding.

We didn't have SF last night partly because we fell asleep on the couch, and I admit it's partly because he was disrespectful and demanding.

I care a lot about his concerns. I want to be respected.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
You don't have to be a member to listen to the ones I've posted, only if you want to pull them up in the archive.

Do you have updated flash on your computer?
Do you have firefox on your computer?

When you click on the links that I've provided, what happens?

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3414

That is what I see. 00:00 to 00:00.

I have a DELL laptop that I use with Windows 7. Does that help?
Don't think I have firefox...I use Windows Explorer. I don't have trouble viewing any other webpages, so I think my flash is fine. The page looks normal, just has no information to play. It does give information on the segment though.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 20 of 62 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 463 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation