Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 62 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 61 62
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by loves2011
((Hugs))
Just wanted to tell you I'm a Christian wife too and I am going what you are going through, thought-process wise. Our H are very, very much alike. Thinking and acting like single men...not married family men. On the outside looking in, I would want you to do the Plan B! I would guess that if you read my posts, you would advise me to do the same. If you read your post and pretended to be a stranger, what would you advise "you" to do? Does that make sense?

It does make sense but it isn't easy and not black and white for me. His efforts have not gone unnoticed by me. I just wish his efforts were directed closer to the target.

Married 20 yrs
Me:FBW
Him: FWH
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Originally Posted by Anointed
I can't believe what you are saying is true. I love him so much, and I wanted to believe he loved me enough to do what is necessary. I can't do this for the both of us.

Anointed, I specifically refrained from giving advice, and said something like "you can trust yourself to do what you need to do when you need to do it." You are in the marriage today, and I fully respect that. So I'm not sure what you took me as saying that rings as not true for you. But if anything I says rings not true for you, then please discard it, because the posts that are going to help you will ring true for you.

Sorry NED. I guess my reply was really to the entire thread and the turn it is taking. Thank you for your encouragement.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Prisca
((hugs))

I don't know if making posting here an EP is a good idea or not. I honestly don't know.

I KNOW I made it an EP for myself, early on. It kept me focused on MB, and I learned a LOT about MB from posting. But Markos never required it of me.

It is very good to have accountability when you start this program -- and the board could help to keep him accountable.

Is posting here important and valuable enough to you that you would kick him out if he refuses? EPs are non-negotiable, and if it is an EP and he refuses, you need to be willing to stand up and enforce it.

If he posts here or not, starting the MB program and sticking with it SHOULD be a requirement.

And remember, writing Dr. Harley on his radio program is FREE. You don't have to pay for coaching to talk to Dr. Harley.

Prayers are with you, Anointed.

Thanks Prisca.

I did have this discussion with him last night, and he did take it as a threat of me leaving the marriage if he didn't do it the MB way. I knew he would take it that way, and he said he was crushed.

I explained that things have been too difficult for me to express to him...that he hasn't been a very good listener.

Last night he agreed to my EPs because he thought they were a good idea. Do you see why I get conflicted? The other day he didn't want to do it. Now he does. He said the reason he didn't agree at first was because he didn't like what I was insinuating by telling him I was uncomfortable. I didn't bring up our past until it became a long, drawn-out battle.

That's the way it has been with him. He has not been willing outright to do what I tell him I need. I have to fight for it.

Always.

I told him I need 3rd party help from MB in some way. He could choose counseling with the Harley's, do the online program, or post here.

He was very upset by this. He felt I was demanding.

I told him that I cannot accept this marriage in continuing in the direction it is going. I pointed out some marriages around us, and I told him we are headed down the same path if we do not do something about it. That is not what I want.

He does not either, but I need to see action.

He doesn't like this forum, but he did say he would try it. We will see. I'm going to try not to bring it up again and just see what actions he actually takes.

He did bring up all the ways he has been trying to meet my needs, and I agree he has been trying. But he has not been hitting the mark. I was trying to help him get the most bang for his buck so to speak. He felt like I completely dismissed all of his prior actions.

I am very tired today. Very worn out. Very conflicted as to whether or not I did the right thing.

I did email the Harley's twice and have not heard back.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
And I realize I didn't Plan A for three weeks, but I did great all last week. I think I'm just very worn out, and it is hard for me not to be transparent. Just the thought of having this conversation with him was getting me worked up.

Last night after going to bed I woke up with horrible stomach pains, and I've been nauseated all day.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
B
B
The Harleys were out of the country for a few weeks. So you might want to send it again and notify the MODS again.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Also excellent radio clips. I almost thought it was you.

Tell us what you think.
Radio clip on DJ/AO
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
You did good.

I clicked notify on your post and asked the Mods to help you get in touch with Dr. Harley.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
I did have this discussion with him last night, and he did take it as a threat of me leaving the marriage if he didn't do it the MB way.

The thing about "the MB way" is that it's not just a bunch of arbitrary rules. It's the basic thoughtfulness and caring that is expected in marriage. It's not an "above and beyond the call of duty" thing. The fact is, a relationship where husband and wife protect each other (do not love bust), follow the policy of joint agreement (the basic, simple thoughtfulness of not doing things your spouse isn't enthusiastic about), and care for each other (meet emotional needs) is a marriage. A relationship where one partner is refusing to do one or all of these things is not really a marriage; it's a relationship where someone who is "married" wants to continue to live an unconstrained, single lifestyle!

He is balking under the constraint that this program would impose on him, because he is not willing to care. He wants what he is doing now to be recognized as care. But you can't change the basic way human nature works; receiving something else as "care" will be just as bad for you emotionally (and physically) as eating dirt instead of food and calling it "food."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
(((Anointed)))

I've been following your post. You're getting great encouragement and feedback here, and I just want to tell you that I'm sorry it's so hard.

I completely agree that you need actions - not words. You seem to be at the point of giving up, and he'll need to impress you with caring.

One thing I'd like to mention, since having little money seems to get you down: having spent $3000 in counseling with "the BEST" - Steve Harley - your H will either be thoughtful and caring (i.e. "married") or not - no amount of money, counseling, posting, or program can make him decide to become a caring husband. It will have to come from inside of him.

Either his selfishness will break, or his marriage will. You are choosing the marriage - He must choose one or the other. And that's FREE.

I believe in the skilled advice of posters here, and of Steve, and of the entire MB program! But it's the old: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink," adage. Your H knows what he needs to do to save his marriage.

I pray he does it.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by markos
If it were my husband, he would probably say my not meeting his need for SF all these years has been his biggest concern (he said so this afternoon).

If your husband would follow this program, your emotions would be motivating you to meet his need for sex, instead of you feeling worn out.

See if he will listen to this clip:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=68

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley, partial radio transcript
There is something about romantic love that creates a special incentive to do the things that the other person needs. So a man and a woman that are in love with each other romantically -- which this person doesn't seem to value (not yet, we hope he'll get there, yes) -- if they're in love with each other romantically, your emotions kick in and encourage you to do things that you might not need yourself.

Woman become far more sexually oriented when they are in love. They are more interested in helping them out domestically; they are more interested in looking better for him. They are more interested in going to football games along with him and participating in his recreational activities.

And men, when they're in love, they're more interested in talking to her for hours at a time, to being affectionate with her; they are interested in being more honest and open. In other words, they are more interested in meeting each other's needs when they're in love.

So, the point of my seminars, and the books that I write, says, look: being in love is a big deal. It'll make your relationship really move along, and be very, very, very good for you, and all of his "utility needs" end up being met in a relationship where there is mutual love

Is your husband even pursuing romantic love as a goal? Does he recognize that it is up to him to make love bank deposits so that you fall in love with him? Does he realize that if this is not working, it is up to him to find out what is wrong and CHANGE? Does he realize that meeting your sexual needs when you are not in love with him is traumatic for a woman? Does he realize that if he would succeed in this goal, your hormones would then naturally prompt you to want to be sexual with him?

I sent this post to DH via email, markos. I mentioned listening to it today at lunch and he had too much on his plate. I didn't demand at all. Just said ok and went on pleasantly.

That is how I know I am changing. In the past I would have thrown a hissy to get my way.

I respect him and want him to be happy. Very much.

He said: Why does it not work the other way- you meet my needs and I reciprocate? I could be wrong, and this speaks of the vicious cycle, but why does the man have to move before the woman? It obviously works best when both parties work together.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
He said: Why does it not work the other way- you meet my needs and I reciprocate? I could be wrong, and this speaks of the vicious cycle, but why does the man have to move before the woman? It obviously works best when both parties work together.

Yes, it obviously does work best when both parties work together. So why doesn't he start?

Markos would LOVE to talk to him about this if he'll show up.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
He is also a far cry from "having" to move first. You've been working on this for at least a year. It's time for him to to finally do his part!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

N
N
I could be wrong, and this speaks of the vicious cycle, but why does the man have to move before the woman?

It doesn't have to matter who goes first. Like Prisca pointed out, you have gone first. But at some point if it doesn't become a joint effort it is difficult and discouraging to maintain.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Here's a thread that I asked the IT guys.
Thread to help play radio clips
This one.

Thanks BH! It was so nice of you to start a thread just for me! I did update flashplayer on my laptop and I made sure the active x controls were on. It still doesn't work on the laptop or the desktop. I can get it to work on my ipad though.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Here is a radio clip of Dr. Harley explaining how we have to be like a good salesman.
Radio clip on be like a salesperson

This clip is excellent. This could be my husband. I've often thought that his need to address every detail in our lives is related to anxiety. He doesn't necessarily disagree with that.

I have actually said to my DH what DrH suggested....many, many, many times. But I think I probably had a frustrated tone with him. I don't think I was sweet. That is so tough! I'm feeling criticized, but I still have to choose to sound pleasant and kind in the face of it.

I can sometimes do it, but I'd say I show my frustration in my tone.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
So we have had hours and hours of discussion this weekend. It has been a hellish time. He keeps hearing that I'm leaving him. I keep saying that is not what I want, but I get to choose the paths I walk in life. I told him I can't continue down the path we are going. I'm turning another way. Will he go with me?

He still kept hearing that I wanted to leave and it's all his fault.

I have not been good at addressing his concerns right away when he points them out because he sounds so judgemental and critical. To get down to it, I have not been good at admitting when I'm wrong to him. He doesn't make it easy at all.

Even so, I made a point to try and say "yes I have done that. I am willing to change."

He told me that I was disrespectful during our long conversations this weekend, and I just felt so defeated. He has always said that I don't apply the same rules to myself that I want him to follow. When he pointed out that I was raising my voice I tried correcting it.

I saw that there is a new newsletter on how emotional people can POJA. I better read that.

So last night I went to him and told him that I don't want to leave. I want a good marriage.

He said that since his affairs he has been living in fear that I would leave him, and I told him that since his affairs I have been afraid of the same and have basically had one eye open and one foot out the door. I had never felt safe.

Since I have brought up separating so many times, he is so hurt and afraid. I told him that recently I figured out that I am now a buyer. But I am only a buyer in a MUTUALLY satisfying relationship. Otherwise I cannot continue.

I told him that he deserved a good marriage. One where the past is never discussed again. One where I meet his needs and show care and concern. I told him I was sorry for all the times I threatened to leave. I told him I didn't know what to do, but now I do. And I'm committed to doing it.

He said, "I don't think you have ever said that before."

He told me he was sorry.

Last night he said he planned to post on here and fill out the EN questionaire. I ended up helping him work late, so we didn't get to it.

I know he has created a log in here. I hope we are making progress. I'll wait to see if he posts.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
A
OP Offline
A
Also excellent radio clips. I almost thought it was you.

Tell us what you think.
Radio clip on DJ/AO
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

These are also a pretty good reflection of us. My DH doesn't lose his temper in front of many people. Always looks like he has it together. I don't know if he believes it is possible to ever NOT lose one's temper.

Thanks for these BH.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
P
P
He said that since his affairs he has been living in fear that I would leave him, and I told him that since his affairs I have been afraid of the same and have basically had one eye open and one foot out the door. I had never felt safe.
This is a very understandable fear, because your marriage hasn't recovered. If he will take the time to follow the program and develop a loving, romantic marriage, that fear will go away.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
I know he has created a log in here. I hope we are making progress. I'll wait to see if he posts.
Great smile
Do you know his handle?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Prisca
Great smile
Do you know his handle?

Yes I texted him and it is ShipAtSea.

Married 20 yrs
4 children
Page 26 of 62 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 286 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation